Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2642605 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #26864: Feb 22, 2021 02:43:31 pm
      I have to digress for a min Dadorious. Do you think Upemcamo good enough? I've yet to see him play well in the half a dozen games I've seen him this year. From what I've seen so far he couldn't get in the so called top 6 and hold is place in the team..

Hes been well hyped and prob falls below the hype level. But at 22 hes only going one way. Think at 30 million Bayern have got a good deal . We can let him develop there for a frw years until Virg is done
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #26865: Feb 22, 2021 02:47:38 pm
      2 things:

Net spend argument is bollocks. Always has been, always will be.

There is a much stronger correlation between wages and winning than there is between spending and winning.
      Put simply, the clubs that pay the highest wages are the clubs that win things.

We have one of the highest wage bills in Europe, never mind the prem.

100%. One of the many flaws of the net spend argument is how it undermines the impact of the academy. Trent, Gomez and Jones are all top players who came from the academy therefore costing us basically nothing, so why should ownership be penalized for this?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #26866: Feb 22, 2021 02:50:04 pm
      Hes been well hyped and prob falls below the hype level. But at 22 hes only going one way. Think at 30 million Bayern have got a good deal . We can let him develop there for a frw years until Virg is done

Needs to improve a lot for me. United also been linked with him, personally I hope we don't get him if links are true.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #26867: Feb 22, 2021 02:51:28 pm
      I have to digress for a min Dadorious. Do you think Upemcamo good enough? I've yet to see him play well in the half a dozen games I've seen him this year. From what I've seen so far he couldn't get in the so called top 6 and hold is place in the team..

Watching him last week and he reminded me of Sakho

His regular partner is apparently better
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #26868: Feb 22, 2021 02:51:32 pm
      Needs to improve a lot for me. United also been linked with him, personally I hope we don't get him if links are true.

He just signed for Bayern Keith, hell join them in June
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #26869: Feb 22, 2021 02:54:34 pm

Stop being a dick you know VVD, Alisson and Fab would not be here without the Coutinho deal going through.

That’s not “sell to buy” is it - we didn’t sell Coutinho to buy those players , a player wanted to leave , we sold him and used the funds to buy others. We and that’s includes you has no idea who would have arrived if Coutinho stayed

Can you remind me when we first looked to buy VVD - was it not the summer that we bought Mo
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #26870: Feb 22, 2021 02:55:52 pm
      I think the worst types of argument:

- sell to buy
      - net spend.

Except for Man City and Chelsea, all clubs use the self-sufficient model.

Yep and we have been doing for as long as I can remember - only have to look at when Keegan left and then Rush etc
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #26871: Feb 22, 2021 02:56:59 pm
      I still think this is just a freak season Brian, a one off because of the circumstances (injuries, pandemic, etc...). If we don't get top 4 this season then ok, we try to rebuild with what we got and challenge for the title next season, I really don't want to end up in Europa League to be honest. I prefer a good easy list of fixtures next season and go for the league again.

We still have our core players, keep them beyond the summer and strengthen areas were we need to strengthen and we are good to go.

We didn't strengthen last term on the back of a successful season in areas that needed vital back up, whose wisdom was that?
      The omens for this term look decidedly bleak, no doubt the same dubious strategy will be applied next season and if we cop for a few injuries again LFC will be sunk without trace.

Your optimism has no foundation and is going against a sustained MO by FSG.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #26872: Feb 22, 2021 02:57:39 pm
      He just signed for Bayern Keith, hell join them in June

Didn't know that's, it's a relief  ;D

Better get back on topic now thanks.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #26873: Feb 22, 2021 03:03:07 pm

Yep and we have been doing for as long as I can remember - only have to look at when Keegan left and then Rush etc

Sir Kenny replaced Keegan for a record fee, Rush came back after a couple of seasons for a nominal fee.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #26874: Feb 22, 2021 03:04:53 pm
      Sir Kenny replaced Keegan for a record fee, Rush came back after a couple of seasons for a nominal fee.

So we sold Keegan for £500k and bought Kenny for £450 k - is that sell to buy ?

We sold Rush for £3.2 mil and bought Barnes and Beardsley for a combine £2.3 I think it was - is that also sell to buy ?
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #26875: Feb 22, 2021 03:08:34 pm

We didn't strengthen last term on the back of a successful season in areas that needed vital back up, whose wisdom was that?
      The omens for this term look decidedly bleak, no doubt the same dubious strategy will be applied next season and if we cop for a few injuries again LFC will be sunk without trace.

Your optimism has no foundation and is going against a sustained MO by FSG.

We actually did

We signed Jota and Thiago for 40m and 29m respectively (players we really needed). We just needed a 4th choice CB that's all, but then the freak injuries happened and then things started to go bad. You can't expect us to be so consistent when we field more than 15 CB partnerships. Even Henderson and Fabinho are out now.

What dubious strategy? I would like to see how Man City would fair without their 3 top CBs and half of their midfield injured. Yes, it is highly likely we won't get the players we need this summer if we end up outside of the top 4. Sh*t happens, what we do is try to rectify it. Do you think we have the squad and team to do that? when fit? yes we do.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #26876: Feb 22, 2021 03:11:31 pm

That’s not “sell to buy” is it - we didn’t sell Coutinho to buy those players , a player wanted to leave , we sold him and used the funds to buy others. We and that’s includes you has no idea who would have arrived if Coutinho stayed

You claim the deal was not sell to buy and then state he was sold to buy players!?!?
      The bullshit has taken over your keyboard.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #26877: Feb 22, 2021 03:14:52 pm
      You claim the deal was not sell to buy and then state he was sold to buy players!?!?

Sorry but I think you need to read what I said

That’s not “sell to buy” is it - we didn’t sell Coutinho to buy those players , a player wanted to leave , we sold him and used the funds to buy others. We and that’s includes you has no idea who would have arrived if Coutinho stayed “

Surely you know the clear difference a club having to sell a player to buy another one - which is sell to buy

And a club selling players because they want to leave and then using the funds to purchase other players

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #26878: Feb 22, 2021 03:16:22 pm

Come on Stuey you know thats not what he said. He said we sold him as he wanted to go and we used that money. We didnt sell him in order to buy
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #26879: Feb 22, 2021 03:23:34 pm

Sorry but I think you need to read what I said

That’s not “sell to buy” is it - we didn’t sell Coutinho to buy those players , a player wanted to leave , we sold him and used the funds to buy others. We and that’s includes you has no idea who would have arrived if Coutinho stayed “

Surely you know the clear difference a club having to sell a player to buy another one - which is sell to buy

And a club selling players because they want to leave and then using the funds to purchase other players

From your post:-
      "We sold him and used the funds to buy others"
      Translation : player sold to buy other players.
      Ergo sell to buy!
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #26880: Feb 22, 2021 03:29:25 pm
      From your post:-
      "We sold him and used the funds to buy others"
      Translation : player sold to buy other players.
      Ergo sell to buy!

Seriously ?

Simple question - was Coutinho sold just so that the club could buy other players ?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #26881: Feb 22, 2021 03:30:44 pm
      Time to move on.. going in F***ing roundabouts here...
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #26882: Feb 22, 2021 03:35:35 pm
      Time to move on.. going in f**king roundabouts here...

Yeah very Chevy Chase in European vacation alright
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #26883: Feb 22, 2021 03:37:29 pm
      Yeah very Chevy Chase in European vacation alright

Great film  ;D - nearly as good as the original
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #26884: Feb 22, 2021 03:42:18 pm

Seriously ?

Simple question - was Coutinho sold just so that the club could buy other players ?

Seriously?
      LFC wanted to give him away but were forced to accept payment and somebody suggested buying a replacement striker.
      What the F**k are you on?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #26885: Feb 22, 2021 03:49:19 pm
      Seriously?
      LFC wanted to give him away but were forced to accept payment and somebody suggested buying a replacement striker.
      What the f**k are you on?

You appear to be ignoring it

You accuse the club of having a “Sell to Buy” policy

That means - selling players to be able to buy someone else

We didn’t sell Coutinho to enable the club to buy someone else - it wasn’t “sell to buy”

Surely you can understand that ?
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #26886: Feb 22, 2021 04:55:21 pm
      Why do you keep going on about net spend as if it’s a negative?

We sold players who didn’t want to be at the club or who weren’t good enough and we bought players that helped us win the league and CL - does it matter if the net spend is £1bm or 0 ?

The net spend is relevant when the tight wad owners say there's no money in the pot for Jürgen to buy a CB,i don't care if the net spend is £1 as long as we are competing and Jürgen is getting the number 1 targets but clearly he isn't (Lewis as one example and a CB before the last day of the transfer window as another one)I think a lot of posters on here will change their tune if we don't make top 4 and have to sell Salah or Mane for the loss of revenue and buy cheap replacements that wouldn't be fit to lace their boots.

Quick Reply