Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2760527 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,778 posts | 3378 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #27186: Mar 04, 2021 02:53:53 pm
      Can I just ask... once the new stadia/ stands are built & the extra income they generate, does all that generated income go towards new players or does part of it pay all the club staff wages..?

The extra income goes into the clubs funds to be then be spent on outgoings - whether that be player wages , transfer fees etc

It’s clubs revenue going towards the running of the club
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Reply #27187: Mar 04, 2021 04:38:02 pm
      General question.

What is an acceptable amount for the owners to allocate and fork out annually for player acquisition? Net of player sales. I keep hearing they ain't putting in their own money for player acquisitions.

Extremes may be £1 to maybe City's £50-100m budget. But I'd like to hear what a reasonable number is in terms of annual commitment for fans today. Net spend amount after netting off player sales.

Personally, I don't care how much they spend or don't spend as long as the team is improved when it needs to be and we are always working to get better and not worse.

Looking back at this last year, Covid or not, we haven't come out well. I don't think that's because of a specific dollar amount, I think it's because of decisions made about not replacing Lovren and general bad luck with injuries.

January was always going to be hard to find a good CB as most teams aren't going to part with them in the January window. That's why in my opinion we'd have been better off to have gotten a solid rotation guy last summer. This coming summer will be the telling window for me on FSG's intentions. I don't think we can improve enough with finding diamond in the rough type players. There are a few generational talents out there and I think we better try our hardest to grab one of them. Because at the end of the day, if they don't come to us, they are going to go to one of our rivals either in England or in Europe. If the Haaland to City rumors are to be believed, I think that could be devastating for us. We need to move heaven and earth to not let that happen.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #27188: Mar 04, 2021 05:06:55 pm
      Personally, I don't care how much they spend or don't spend as long as the team is improved when it needs to be and we are always working to get better and not worse.

Looking back at this last year, Covid or not, we haven't come out well. I don't think that's because of a specific dollar amount, I think it's because of decisions made about not replacing Lovren and general bad luck with injuries.

January was always going to be hard to find a good CB as most teams aren't going to part with them in the January window. That's why in my opinion we'd have been better off to have gotten a solid rotation guy last summer. This coming summer will be the telling window for me on FSG's intentions. I don't think we can improve enough with finding diamond in the rough type players. There are a few generational talents out there and I think we better try our hardest to grab one of them. Because at the end of the day, if they don't come to us, they are going to go to one of our rivals either in England or in Europe. If the Haaland to City rumors are to be believed, I think that could be devastating for us. We need to move heaven and earth to not let that happen.

The word is Haaland would prefer to play for Liverpool, whether FSG would pay the money for him should he become available is a different matter - our present dilemma suggests not.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #27189: Mar 04, 2021 05:11:04 pm
      The word is Haaland would prefer to play for Liverpool, whether FSG would pay the money for him should he become available is a different matter - our present dilemma suggests not.

Stuey, I’m of the opinion 2 marquee signings will happen this summer.. either Haaland or Mbappe..
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,778 posts | 3378 
      Reply #27190: Mar 04, 2021 06:02:50 pm
      And the last few posts show the issue

People are already expecting some big signing in the summer

Mbappe is going to cost a team close to £150mil plus

Haaland will be around £100mil

The club is potentially going to lose around £100mil in gate receipts

So the level of spending from most clubs are going to be drastically reduced this summer because of Covid

I don’t know where people expect the club to pull £100mil to £150mil to spend on one player from ?

And when we don’t sign either player for the huge fees they will go for people will start to point the finger again - it’s just unrealistic expectations

shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 562 posts | 128 
      Reply #27191: Mar 04, 2021 06:03:21 pm
      Stuey, I’m of the opinion 2 marquee signings will happen this summer.. either Haaland or Mbappe..

Who's going to agitate to leave first?
      Jurgenabelieveus
      • Banned

• 48 posts | 11 
      Reply #27192: Mar 04, 2021 06:47:33 pm

No chance mate, come on that’s fantasy land

So the level of spending from most clubs are going to be drastically reduced this summer because of Covid

I don’t know where people expect the club to pull £100mil to £150mil to spend on one player from ?

And when we don’t sign either player for the huge fees they will go for people will start to point the finger again - it’s just unrealistic expectations

Haaland has a release clause for this summer by all accounts for 40 odd Million

Mbappe in the last year of his deal so likely 100m is absolute top price for him in that situation

Wages though for these two would likely be in the region of 250-300k Haaland.. 350k+ for Mbappe

Neither the wage or the transfer fee we can afford

Complete fantasy

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,778 posts | 3378 
      Reply #27193: Mar 04, 2021 07:04:49 pm
      No chance mate, come on that’s fantasy land

Haaland has a release clause for this summer by all accounts for 40 odd Million

Mbappe in the last year of his deal so likely 100m is absolute top price for him in that situation

Wages though for these two would likely be in the region of 250-300k Haaland.. 350k+ for Mbappe

Neither the wage or the transfer fee we can afford

Complete fantasy

Haaland release clause is next summer
      Jurgenabelieveus
      • Banned

• 48 posts | 11 
      Reply #27194: Mar 04, 2021 07:12:03 pm

Oh right

Either way we couldn’t afford it
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1478 
      Reply #27195: Mar 04, 2021 07:28:23 pm

Right. So now I'm gathering that a huge fee signing is anticipated... Haaland / Mbappe.

Possible sources of funds:
      1) player sales - sell to buy policy. Owners are damned for not putting in money. Low net spend. Not supporting recruitment enough, yet putting money into the stands. Why not channel stand expansion money into player recruitment?
      2) expect owners to fund with more money. Then isn't this City and Abramovic style where the owner finances player acquisition or of their own pockets? I'm hearing we are different, and let's not pull them or their style of funding player acquisition into our argument.

This begs the question of how do we reconcile?
      1) improving the squad (because owners need to do more obviously)
      2) without a sell to buy policy (by channelling stadium expansion money into strengthening the squad)
      3) and not comparing with owner providing new money for player recruitment (because city and abramovic are out of our league and therefore cannot draw comparison about their financing of player acquisition through extra money of their owners)
      4) to sign big money players (which require fund sources through player sales or owner's new money).

I can't get me head around 1) to 4) when we damn the owners for sell to buy, yet not talk about owners pumping in money of their own using city and abramovic style, yet desire big money signings, and expect our squad to improve via player recruitment.

The argument about "building the stand was a mistake." It should have been used for player acquisition. But isn't that 3)? Damn again if they do so because the magnitude is not on par with city or Abramovic (was told not to compare). And if we do not sign, 1) and 4) are damned as well...

Do offer enlightenment if anyone can reconcile holistically.
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #27196: Mar 04, 2021 11:24:21 pm
      We will miss out on the top 4 and these lot will justify why we have to sell and can't spend.

The worse possible scenario for us.

They'll literally zip their purse shut and tell us "we need to pay bills"
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #27197: Mar 04, 2021 11:31:00 pm
      We will miss out on the top 4 and these lot will justify why we have to sell and can't spend.

I'd genuinely rather watch us play in the conference than have to sit next to a dogshagger like you at the match. Hopefully this dip in form might make a few of you crying arses jump ship
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,720 posts | 6707 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #27198: Mar 04, 2021 11:44:27 pm
      Hey FSG
      There are 10’s of millions Liverpool supporters around the word
      You think if we each of us throw in 20-25 pounds u could sign Mbappe?
      And if we make it 40 pounds each
      Can you get Haaland as well!!!

We used to be the Team when no matter how many the oppo scored, we would score more,  now we don’t even have shots on target!!!!
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #27199: Mar 04, 2021 11:53:39 pm
      Hey FSG
      There are 10’s of millions Liverpool supporters around the word
      You think if we each of us throw in 20-25 pounds u could sign Mbappe?
      And if we make it 40 pounds each
      Can you get Haaland as well!!!

We used to be the Team when no matter how many the oppo scored, we would score more,  now we don’t even have shots on target!!!!

Mate we could have a front 3 of Pele, Maradonna and George Best and we still couldn't hit a barnyard door at the minute! We've got the top scorer in the league and still haven't scored at home this year!

We'll be back with a vengeance next season no doubt
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,720 posts | 6707 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #27200: Mar 04, 2021 11:57:16 pm
      Mate we could have a front 3 of Pele, Maradonna and George Best and we still couldn't hit a barnyard door at the minute! We've got the top scorer in the league and still haven't scored at home this year!

We'll be back with a vengeance next season no doubt

I know we will be mate.

Still can’t wait to see what a midfield 3 of Fab, Hendo and Thiago looks like, especially with Big Virg and Gomez or a brand new top Class CB behind them!
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #27201: Mar 05, 2021 12:01:29 am
      I'd genuinely rather watch us play in the conference than have to sit next to a dogshagger like you at the match. Hopefully this dip in form might make a few of you crying arses jump ship

Ok and you're a pr**k but it doesn't change our sh*t situation
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #27202: Mar 05, 2021 12:09:05 am
      I know we will be mate.

Still can’t wait to see what a midfield 3 of Fab, Hendo and Thiago looks like, especially with Big Virg and Gomez or a brand new top Class CB behind them!

Yeah that's it, think Thiago has got a bit of a short straw because he was probably brought in as a luxury player but he's had to do a bit more graft than initially expected.

Showed his class early on before that pigeon nose mongrel snapped him in the derby like.

Back to normal next season fingers crossed. Hopefully your flight tickets are still valid to watch us lift #20!
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #27203: Mar 05, 2021 12:13:51 am
      Ok and you're a pr**k but it doesn't change our sh*t situation

Yeah and I've seen a few sh*te liverpool sides in my time though and one piece of advice would be not to sh*t your undies when things go slightly downhill
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #27204: Mar 05, 2021 12:31:56 am
      Just need to be careful with filling the squad with average dross in their quest for cheap fixes.

The recent acquisitions of the likes of Davies, Minamino, Tsimakas, Kabak. The latter can just go back to Schalke but when you add that to Origi, Shaq, Ox, Naby then there's a lot of work to be done to get those players out before they will be happy spending more.

There's no point signing any player at the moment that Jürgen would feel uncomfortable actually using. So much better to spend a bit more coin and build a proper usable squad.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #27205: Mar 06, 2021 02:48:17 pm

Don't waste time on here explaining to these FSG idiot lovers,they have blinded faith in these owners because Jürgen delivered the CL and PL ,see if they change their tunes after the next 2 windows.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #27206: Mar 07, 2021 12:55:58 am
      Right. So now I'm gathering that a huge fee signing is anticipated... Haaland / Mbappe.

Possible sources of funds:
      1) player sales - sell to buy policy. Owners are damned for not putting in money. Low net spend. Not supporting recruitment enough, yet putting money into the stands. Why not channel stand expansion money into player recruitment?
      2) expect owners to fund with more money. Then isn't this City and Abramovic style where the owner finances player acquisition or of their own pockets? I'm hearing we are different, and let's not pull them or their style of funding player acquisition into our argument.

This begs the question of how do we reconcile?
      1) improving the squad (because owners need to do more obviously)
      2) without a sell to buy policy (by channelling stadium expansion money into strengthening the squad)
      3) and not comparing with owner providing new money for player recruitment (because city and abramovic are out of our league and therefore cannot draw comparison about their financing of player acquisition through extra money of their owners)
      4) to sign big money players (which require fund sources through player sales or owner's new money).

I can't get me head around 1) to 4) when we damn the owners for sell to buy, yet not talk about owners pumping in money of their own using city and abramovic style, yet desire big money signings, and expect our squad to improve via player recruitment.

The argument about "building the stand was a mistake." It should have been used for player acquisition. But isn't that 3)? Damn again if they do so because the magnitude is not on par with city or Abramovic (was told not to compare). And if we do not sign, 1) and 4) are damned as well...

Do offer enlightenment if anyone can reconcile holistically.

Paul Tompkins points out that we have been missing more than 300 million (moneys) of our own players for much of the season due to injuries. That's got to be a big part of it.  The full article lists several other factors that make this season so unusual and can be read for free here: https://tomkinstimes.com/2021/03/a-quick-guide-to-liverpools-crisis-wake-up-to-the-facts/

Now of course new signing can still be a help, in that regard, I would simply contrast the signings that have built the league and European Cup winning team with the kind of mega-money signings you are mentioning. We didn't sign Neymar, or Mbappe or Pogba or Higuain or Ronaldo or Felix or Griezmann or Coutinho or Lukaku or Suarez or Hernandez for gobs and gobs of money. We didn't sign any of those guys except for Virgil Van Dijk. Everyone else we brought it was for considerably less money than those guys. All the guys we signed were not nearly as strong on the radar (again, except for Virgil and maybe Alisson Becker, and that one was late-arriving on the attention-meter).

While decent money was spent on the likes of Salah, Mane, Gini, Fabinho, Robbo, Keita, Ox and Shaq (plus frees like Joel and Millie; pre-Klopp signings like Bobby, Gomez and Hendo; plus Thiago and Jota before this season), it was nothing compared to these high cost signings people here point to as needed for us to restore our title-run credibility. Yet when we built such a team before, it involved really none of that price bracket signing, except maybe Virgil.

Remember also that Klopp and Edwards built a team for a certain style, and part of that involved being able to train and develop a conditioning base that has not been available this season (without even getting into the injuries that have depleted the same team).

So this team can be back in the title hunt next season, and it may involve some reinforcements on the personnel side (almost surely will as we have that nearly every season), but it won't be because we made some record signing like Mbappe or Haaland. People shouldn't decide that only that kind of signing indicates proper backing of the manager.

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2021 01:14:46 pm by Robby The Z »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #27207: Mar 07, 2021 01:12:40 am
      Surprised more has not been made of Chris Morgan resigned from Arsenal as head of Physiotherapy and look at our rates of non contact injuries.........we are the new Arsenal - they are laughing their tits off..........
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,919 posts | 4984 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #27208: Mar 07, 2021 07:04:58 am
      Paul Tompkins points out that we have been missing more than 300 million of our own players for much of the season due to injuries. That's got to be a big part of it.  The full article lists several other factors that make this season so unusual and can be read for free here: https://tomkinstimes.com/2021/03/a-quick-guide-to-liverpools-crisis-wake-up-to-the-facts/

Now of course new signing can still be a help, in that regard, I would simply contrast the signings that have built the league and European Cup winning team with the kind of mega-money signings you are mentioning. We didn't sign Neymar, or Mbappe or Pogba or Higuain or Ronaldo or Felix or Griezmann or Coutinho or Lukaku or Suarez or Hernandez for gobs and gobs of money. We didn't sign any of those guys except for Virgil Van Dijk. Everyone else we brought it was for considerably less money than those guys. All the guys we signed were not nearly as strong on the radar (again, except for Virgil and maybe Alisson Becker, and that one was late-arriving on the attention-meter).

While decent money was spent on the likes of Salah, Mane, Gini, Fabinho, Robbo, Keita, Ox and Shaq (plus frees like Joel and Millie; pre-Klopp signings like Bobby, Gomez and Hendo; plus Thiago and Jota before this season), it was nothing compared to these high cost signings people here point to as needed for us to restore our title-run credibility. Yet when we built such a team before, it involved really none of that price bracket signing, except maybe Virgil.

Remember also that Klopp and Edwards built a team for a certain style, and part of that involved being able to train and develop a conditioning base that has not been available this season (without even getting into the injuries that have depleted the same team).

So this team can be back in the title hunt next season, and it may involve some reinforcements on the personnel side (almost surely will as we have that nearly every season), but it won't be because we made some record signing like Mbappe or Haaland. People shouldn't decide that only that kind of signing indicates proper backing of the manager.

All of those you mentioned above that now ply their trade with us were indicative of player pricing at that time, except Virgil & Allison, we can counter their costs by including Andy Roberton who was incredibly cheap considering what we have now, Matip I believe was also reasonably cheaper deal too, Naby cost over £50m but spread over two separate financial seasons so again relatively cheaper,

Now due to this pandemic I believe that clubs paying over £100m for a particular player are gone except if you are either Russian or Middle Eastern,so for the likes of Mbappe & Haaland only clubs like Citeh,Chavs,PSG,Barca,RM, could/would afford them, it is extremely unlikely that either of those two would ever step foot over the threshold at Axa, but i wouldn’t yet rule out players arriving at prices between £40m-£60m with of course some extraordinary negotiations from Micheal Edwards, but even at those prices I think we really would be pushing the boat out,

who knows how much we will have as collateral I would hazard a guess that it won’t be a lot, so unless some kind of loan agreement is fashioned between the club and FSG I really can’t see there being too many new swinging dicks in the shower rooms in August, having said  all of that though we really need to freshen things up, get rid of some or all of the deadwood and bring in higher quality players that can take us forward, realistically it’s more than likely that we will see only one or two arrive and hope tae F**k we don’t suffer the injuries we have this god forsaken season.

Y  N  W  A

Quick Reply