Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2767482 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #28497: Jun 14, 2021 09:44:40 pm
      What's the evidence for this? How do you know we would have signed Brandt but for the intervention of the scouts? I recall reading reports at the time that Klopp was hugely impressed with Mo when his Dortmund side played Basle, long before we signed him.

Quite a few respected journalist have said this was the case and I recall Peter Moore saying as well that it was the recruitment team that convinced JĂźrgen to go for Salah.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2018/03/german-journalist-gives-insight-into-how-liverpool-chose-mohamed-salah-over-julian-brandt/amp/
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,051 posts | 3431 
      Reply #28498: Jun 14, 2021 09:53:51 pm
      What's the evidence for this? How do you know we would have signed Brandt but for the intervention of the scouts? I recall reading reports at the time that Klopp was hugely impressed with Mo when his Dortmund side played Basle, long before we signed him.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/tribuna.com/amp/en/news/liverpoolfc-2020-06-30-the-athletic-klopp-wanted-to-sign-salah-alternative-in-2017-but-michael-edwards-convinced/

Klopp even alluded to the same thing in interviews where he learned to trust Edwards and his team on the players they recommended and had to be “persuaded” a number of times on players coming in.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/liverpool-chief-says-it-wasnt-klopp-who-wanted-to-sign-salah

From Peter Moores himself

So hopefully you can see now how important Edwards and his team are
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,219 posts | 1221 
      Reply #28499: Jun 14, 2021 09:58:47 pm
      And not a meaningful quote in sight. ^

"When he was at Basel we (Dortmund) played them and we didn't know him. It was 'what the f**k?'. It was unbelievable. The moment I said 'let's go for him' he was already at Chelsea."

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.sportbible.com/football/pub-talk-klopp-reveals-the-moment-that-salah-made-him-say-what-the-fck-20170718.amp.html

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,051 posts | 3431 
      Reply #28500: Jun 14, 2021 10:02:09 pm
      And not a meaningful quote in sight. ^

"When he was at Basel we (Dortmund) played them and we didn't know him. It was 'what the f**k?'. It was unbelievable. The moment I said 'let's go for him' he was already at Chelsea."

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.sportbible.com/football/pub-talk-klopp-reveals-the-moment-that-salah-made-him-say-what-the-fck-20170718.amp.html

Yet a quote from a time when he was at another club - it’s up to you if you want to believe it or not , I know by believing it that means the credit can’t all be given to Klopp for everything that goes on - but I would hope people by now would understand how key Edwards is too it all - even Klopp himself has said as much.

Klopp is outstanding but he can’t do it all on his own
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,219 posts | 1221 
      Reply #28501: Jun 14, 2021 10:31:20 pm

Yet a quote from a time when he was at another club - it’s up to you if you want to believe it or not , I know by believing it that means the credit can’t all be given to Klopp for everything that goes on - but I would hope people by now would understand how key Edwards is too it all - even Klopp himself has said as much.

Klopp is outstanding but he can’t do it all on his own

So the relative evidence is:

1) An actual quote by the manager himself declaring that he wanted to sign Mo when he was at Dortmund because he had seen first hand that Mo was an ‘unbelievable’ talent; and,

2) An article with a misleading headline which quotes an FSG man stating the sports science team saw something in Mo.

You stated that Klopp did not want to sign Mo, which therefore means we have to believe that our world class manager thought that signing an ‘unbelievable’ player who he wanted to sign previously and who was tearing it up at Roma, was not a good idea.

Who is the one talking bollocks here?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,051 posts | 3431 
      Reply #28502: Jun 15, 2021 07:04:08 am

So the relative evidence is:

1) An actual quote by the manager himself declaring that he wanted to sign Mo when he was at Dortmund because he had seen first hand that Mo was an ‘unbelievable’ talent; and,

2) An article with a misleading headline which quotes an FSG man stating the sports science team saw something in Mo.

You stated that Klopp did not want to sign Mo, which therefore means we have to believe that our world class manager thought that signing an ‘unbelievable’ player who he wanted to sign previously and who was tearing it up at Roma, was not a good idea.

Who is the one talking bollocks here?

As I said - it’s up to you what you want to believe

You have the thinking that it’s all down to Klopp , that’s were the credit lies , despite Klopp himself stating how crucial the whole team is - it’s still just Klopp with the credit

So when we lost 6 out of 7 and dropped to 8th was it then the fault of Klopp 🤷‍♂️
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #28503: Jun 15, 2021 07:11:13 am
      Of course it’s not all down to Klopp

But he’s the key component that makes the whole system successful
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,051 posts | 3431 
      Reply #28504: Jun 15, 2021 09:04:41 am
      Of course it’s not all down to Klopp

But he’s the key component that makes the whole system successful

So when it doesn’t work as we saw over Xmas with the 3 draws and 2 defeats - then the 6 defeats in 7 - does the manager also have to take a lot of the responsibility 🤷‍♂️
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #28505: Jun 15, 2021 09:20:35 am
      So when it doesn’t work as we saw over Xmas with the 3 draws and 2 defeats - then the 6 defeats in 7 - does the manager also have to take a lot of the responsibility 🤷‍♂️

Of course, not really a question I don’t think

Look I’m not having a go here mate, I think the structure is a very good one and I give them all the credit for it. But the manager is the key to it all, yes they can suggest and offer players, but it still needs the manager to make those players fit and work effectively which he is a genius at

You only have to look at the success prior to him being here under FSG and after him being here

Yes the system is a very fine machine, but JĂźrgen is the driver of it and the key component

But yes, when there is a poor run that on the managers shoulders as well, and he fully takes responsibility for those runs on those wonderful beautiful shoulders
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #28506: Jun 15, 2021 10:19:00 am

No. Me own protocol is to blame FSG for not giving enough support, transfer funds, intellectual resources. Klopp is never wrong. All success is down to him all failure is down to greedy owners. Why? We will fail because of their greed. We had success because we had a magician. 
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,051 posts | 3431 
      Reply #28507: Jun 15, 2021 10:58:20 am
      Of course, not really a question I don’t think

Look I’m not having a go here mate, I think the structure is a very good one and I give them all the credit for it. But the manager is the key to it all, yes they can suggest and offer players, but it still needs the manager to make those players fit and work effectively which he is a genius at

You only have to look at the success prior to him being here under FSG and after him being here

Yes the system is a very fine machine, but JĂźrgen is the driver of it and the key component

But yes, when there is a poor run that on the managers shoulders as well, and he fully takes responsibility for those runs on those wonderful beautiful shoulders

Of course the manager is one of the biggest key components within a successful club but everything behind and the foundations need to be solid for him to be able to do the great job he does

If the manager isn’t good enough to put the players together then it will show

But at times it seems there is a lot of “singling” out of people when things go wrong or go well

The days of the manager being top of a pyramid have gone - a lot of made of the transfer committee etc but it’s still there for us - they scout the players they sit down with Klopp , they discuss who js better for the team make up , who is better value for money and they seem to all agree on which player to go for - I suspect there have been a number of times where the manager has liked a player but the others havent etc but it works - and it’s something the owners put in place

FSG took over and it was never going to be an instant success , it was always going to take time to get all the components into place for the club to move forward - Klopp was imo the final piece to make it all work

The last 5 years the club has grown with him - success on and off the pitch , this season was always going to be a hard one but Imo considering the level of injuries we had to get into CL was key and should be applauded - it’s not down to the owners not signing this player and that player or the lack of money they spend it was imo down to the unprecedented levels of injuries we have. And even then during that run I ask myself why Klopp didn’t put more trust in Williams and Phillips but when you lose three CB’s it’s going to be hard

When the next season starts and we have those players back are we as strong as City - for me it’s a yes , if players like Origi and Shaqiri are replaced then even more so

For me the areas where I believe the owners fu**ed up are clear

The ticket prices and the ESL

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #28508: Jun 15, 2021 05:34:21 pm
      What's the evidence for this? How do you know we would have signed Brandt but for the intervention of the scouts?

Well known Brandt was who Klopp was after. Been mentioned loads if times in the past in the echo. Klopp asked Edwards to recommend someone same way he asked Achterberg to recommend a back up keeper when we brought Adrian in.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #28509: Jun 15, 2021 05:54:49 pm
      Well known Brandt was who Klopp was after. Been mentioned loads if times in the past in the echo. Klopp asked Edwards to recommend someone same way he asked Achterberg to recommend a back up keeper when we brought Adrian in.

You can lead a horse to water.......
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,219 posts | 1221 
      Reply #28510: Jun 15, 2021 08:21:14 pm

As I said - it’s up to you what you want to believe

You have the thinking that it’s all down to Klopp , that’s were the credit lies , despite Klopp himself stating how crucial the whole team is - it’s still just Klopp with the credit

So when we lost 6 out of 7 and dropped to 8th was it then the fault of Klopp 🤷‍♂️

Klopp was so blown away by Mo’s talent when his Dortmund side played Basel that he was left thinking ‘what the f*ck?’, describing Mo as an ‘unbelievable’ player.

This was followed up by a conviction that Dortmund should try to sign him, however by the the time Klopp said ‘let’s go for him’ Mo was already at Chelsea.

The manager again:

"I have followed him since he emerged at Basel and he has matured into a really good player.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40345138

The idea that Mo was a player the manager didn’t already have a very high opinion of is not supported by the best available evidence — the manager’s own words.

It is not to say of course that the scouting department didn’t play an important role in helping to complete the overall picture of a player ready to play in the PL but he was already clearly on the manager’s radar and a player the he rated very highly.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,051 posts | 3431 
      Reply #28511: Jun 15, 2021 08:55:00 pm
      Klopp was so blown away by Mo’s talent when his Dortmund side played Basel that he was left thinking ‘what the f*ck?’, describing Mo as an ‘unbelievable’ player.

This was followed up by a conviction that Dortmund should try to sign him, however by the the time Klopp said ‘let’s go for him’ Mo was already at Chelsea.

The manager again:

"I have followed him since he emerged at Basel and he has matured into a really good player.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40345138

The idea that Mo was a player the manager didn’t already have a very high opinion of is not supported by the best available evidence — the manager’s own words.

It is not to say of course that the scouting department didn’t play an important role in helping to complete the overall picture of a player ready to play in the PL but he was already clearly on the manager’s radar and a player the he rated very highly.

You still don’t get it - yes Klopp said he liked him back in 2014 when he was manager of Dortmund but when he became manager of Liverpool and 3 years later ( after Salah had a disappointing season in the Prem ) Klopp was looking to bring in Brandt but Edwards and Co said they should go for Salah who would be perfect despite his disappointing time at Chelsea - it’s a well known fact , simple as that regardless of what Klopp said 4 years previous

So if it was down to Klopp then we would have signed Brandt that summer 
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #28512: Jun 15, 2021 09:01:28 pm
      You still don’t get it - yes Klopp said he liked him back in 2014 when he was manager of Dortmund but when he became manager of Liverpool and 3 years later ( after Salah had a disappointing season in the Prem ) Klopp was looking to bring in Brandt but Edwards and Co said they should go for Salah who would be perfect despite his disappointing time at Chelsea - it’s a well known fact , simple as that regardless of what Klopp said 4 years previous

It seems like you've taken it upon yourself to answer every single "anti" FSG post.

You literally respond to it all.

Very sus imo
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,219 posts | 1221 
      Reply #28513: Jun 15, 2021 10:31:58 pm

So well known that you can’t produce any evidence to support the assertion. Better known as ‘bollocks’ or more charitably ‘speculation’.

Klopp is a world class manager and has been since his Dortmund days.

Fact: Klopp stated that when he first saw Mo play for Basel he thought he was ‘unbelievable’.

Fact: Klopp states he tracked Mo since his Basel days and could see he matured into a really good player.

Fact: Klopp felt he was so good he states he ‘ignored’ Mo’s time at Chelsea as it wasn’t a true reflection of his ability.

Not a Klopp player? Get to f*ck, Sonny Jim!
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,051 posts | 3431 
      Reply #28514: Jun 15, 2021 10:36:21 pm

Unfortunately despite it been well known and has been discussed many times it’s now being dismissed
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,051 posts | 3431 
      Reply #28515: Jun 15, 2021 10:38:28 pm
      So well known that you can’t produce any evidence to support the assertion. Better known as ‘bollocks’ or more charitably ‘speculation’.

Klopp is a world class manager and has been since his Dortmund days.

Fact: Klopp stated that when he first saw Mo play for Basel he thought he was ‘unbelievable’.

Fact: Klopp states he tracked Mo since his Basel days and could see he matured into a really good player.

Fact: Klopp felt he was so good he states he ‘ignored’ Mo’s time at Chelsea as it wasn’t a true reflection of his ability.

Not a Klopp player? Get to f*ck, Sonny Jim!

Who said he wasn’t a Klopp player 🤷‍♂️

Are you struggling to understand that during the summer of 2017 Klopp wanted to sign Brandt 🤷‍♂️
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,219 posts | 1221 
      Reply #28516: Jun 15, 2021 11:21:09 pm

Who said he wasn’t a Klopp player 🤷‍♂️

Are you struggling to understand that during the summer of 2017 Klopp wanted to sign Brandt 🤷‍♂️

Before you fire your next fusillade of horseshit all over this thread, you said Mo ‘wasn’t the player Klopp wanted’ and that it took Edwards to ‘persuade’ Klopp that he was the right option. You gave no evidence to support this.

Where you have, on the one hand, mere speculation, and on the other, a consistent pattern of comments from the manager which clearly show he thought Mo was an outstanding talent who he would have signed previously if he could (what world class manager having described a player as ‘unbelievable’ and who could see the same player tearing it up at Roma would see less reason to sign that player years after they’ve matured into a better player?!), what is a more reasonable conclusion to reach about the manager’s role in signing the player? That he ‘wasn’t the player he wanted’ or that ‘he very much f*cking was’?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #28517: Jun 16, 2021 04:20:03 pm
      Before you fire your next fusillade of horseshit all over this thread, you said Mo ‘wasn’t the player Klopp wanted’ and that it took Edwards to ‘persuade’ Klopp that he was the right option. You gave no evidence to support this.

Where you have, on the one hand, mere speculation, and on the other, a consistent pattern of comments from the manager which clearly show he thought Mo was an outstanding talent who he would have signed previously if he could (what world class manager having described a player as ‘unbelievable’ and who could see the same player tearing it up at Roma would see less reason to sign that player years after they’ve matured into a better player?!), what is a more reasonable conclusion to reach about the manager’s role in signing the player? That he ‘wasn’t the player he wanted’ or that ‘he very much f*cking was’?

You're still wrong, Klopp wanted Brandt and when he said no, Edwards recommended Salah to Klopp.

Simply put the whole of the F***ing city of Liverpool knows this!!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #28518: Jun 16, 2021 04:21:33 pm
      You're still wrong, Klopp wanted Brandt and when he said no, Edwards recommended Salah to Klopp.

Simply put the whole of the F***ing city of Liverpool knows this!!

I'm surprised there is still a debate as I thought everyone knew this.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #28519: Jun 16, 2021 04:24:52 pm
      Where you have, on the one hand, mere speculation, and on the other, a consistent pattern of comments from the manager which clearly show he thought Mo was an outstanding talent who he would have signed previously if he could

Same way Klopp said similar about Mane when he was at Salzburg?

Quick Reply