Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2755654 times
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1644 
      • YNWA
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #29141: Sep 05, 2021 04:00:25 pm

The one thing that isn’t an assumption is that regardless of the reason why another CB wasn’t signed last summer, it turned out to be the wrong decision.

But wouldn't put down to hindsight, lot of people thought that v risky at the time to let Lovren go, as erratic as he was occasionally, with Matip so prone to injury, Gomez too though bit less so than Matip.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1644 
      • YNWA
      Reply #29142: Sep 05, 2021 04:01:58 pm

Don’t understand this theory that “money has dried up”

Surely people are taking into account what’s happened over the past 18 months ? And how it would affect a club that runs on the income it earns

So we do have money to spend on transfers?
      Maybe tell Jürgen, cause he's been saying he's limited and unable to compete with the other contenders in that regard.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,687 posts | 3363 
      Reply #29143: Sep 05, 2021 04:04:26 pm
      So we do have money to spend on transfers?
      Maybe tell Jürgen, cause he's been saying he's limited and unable to compete with the other contenders in that regard.

You know there is middle ground

Yes we can’t compete financially with clubs like City but that doesn’t mean there is no money - Klopp also stated that if there right players is there then they will look to get them.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #29144: Sep 05, 2021 06:40:01 pm
      Probably the simplest, yet most well thought out comment on the whole situation. If somebody told us on the day they took over, that within a decade we'd have gotten to three major European finals, have a sixth European Cup and a 19th title I think any right-minded red would have bitten your hand off.

You can only judge on results. As long as we're still in the mix and challenging, I don't think they should warrant much criticism for the footballing side of their operations. All this talk about being 'left behind' because City / Chelsea / United have signed XYZ is just pure speculation as nobody knows how well these new signings for those clubs will do, or how well we'll do this season. The front 3 issue is something which will need addressing but it should be a gradual process. Jota is still in his early 20s and if last season is anything to go by, he has shown he's good enough to be a constant in our attack for years to come. We'll be needing to sign a few more attackers in the coming seasons as we eventually start to phase the front three out, but as I said I think the best way of doing so would be a gradual process. If we sign two more players of Jota's ilk over the course of the next 2-3 seasons it will hopefully be job done in that regard.

International break, you know what it's like!!
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1644 
      • YNWA
      Reply #29145: Sep 05, 2021 07:10:05 pm

You know there is middle ground

Yes we can’t compete financially with clubs like City but that doesn’t mean there is no money - Klopp also stated that if there right players is there then they will look to get them.

Right, its late. As FSG would say, 'time out'...
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #29146: Sep 06, 2021 07:52:07 am
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #29147: Sep 06, 2021 08:46:17 am
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #29148: Sep 06, 2021 12:06:56 pm
      I read all the opinions about ‘net spend’ ‘ sell to buy’ ‘not investing any personal funds into the club’ ‘only in it to make a profit’ blah blah blah !

I try not to get involved with all that business, I just look at where the club currently is commercially, what manager and players we have, what we’ve won recently, and how we are operating in the current European footballing hierarchy.
      From where we were when FSG took over, I think they’ve done a great job, and long may it continue.
      We can’t compete with the oligarch clubs for spending power, but who can.

Why is the fraudulent tenure of H&G used as some kind of status guage when discussing FSG?
      If you study the above post by What-a-hit-son the exact reason we are left in wake of our rivals is explained.
      Nothing to do with them being minted it is a reluctance by those holding the purse strings to release some dosh.

Only the genius of Klopp and some very good fortune with injuries gave us some reward.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #29149: Sep 06, 2021 12:27:20 pm
      we are left in wake of our rivals is explained.

I'd love to know how exactly we have been 'left in the wake of our rivals'?

18/19
      European Cup Winners
      2nd Premier League with 97 points. Fourth highest points total in league history.

19/20
      Premier League Champions.
      European Super Cup Winners
      World Club Cup Winners

20/21
      3rd place Premier League.

22/22
      Unbeaten so far and last league defeat 14 games ago. Current form averaging as a 97 point season.

Where exactly are we being left in our rivals wake??

If you are simply talking about how much they are spending on players then we never really have competed at that level and also I must have missed the trophy they give out for the biggest transfer spend.
      « Last Edit: Sep 06, 2021 01:06:51 pm by srslfc »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #29150: Sep 06, 2021 01:11:24 pm
      I'd love to know how exactly we have been 'left in the wake of our rivals'?

18/19
      European Cup Winners
      2nd Premier League with 97 points. Fourth highest points total in league history.

19/20
      Premier League Champions.
      European Super Cup Winners
      World Club Cup Winners

20/21
      3rd place Premier League.

22/22
      Unbeaten so far and last league defeat 14 games ago. Current form averaging as a 97 point season.

Where exactly are we being left in our rivals wake??

If you are simply talking about how much they are spending on players then we never really have competed at that level and also I must have missed the trophy they give out for the biggest transfer spend.

Pre-Klopp and failing to compete consistently with our rivals.
      We are not some 2nd rate outfit that is not worth backing why don’t the owners splash the cash OCCASIONALLY??
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #29151: Sep 06, 2021 01:18:08 pm
      We are not some 2nd rate outfit that is not worth backing why don’t the owners splash the cash OCCASIONALLY??

Ah again you weren't clear.

So just so I've got it we have been 'left in the wake of our rivals' before they appointed Jürgen?

If that's the case I'm not sure the relevance as surely then we have progressed the club and caught up with said rivals??

Unless you are suddenly changing the narrative again to suit the nonsense you're spouting?

When you said about being left in the wake of our rivals I thought you meant now, or at least in the last few years not almost 6 years ago which I'm not sure is anyway relevant.
      « Last Edit: Sep 06, 2021 01:23:54 pm by srslfc »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #29152: Sep 06, 2021 02:12:48 pm
      Ah again you weren't clear.

So just so I've got it we have been 'left in the wake of our rivals' before they appointed Jürgen?

If that's the case I'm not sure the relevance as surely then we have progressed the club and caught up with said rivals??

Unless you are suddenly changing the narrative again to suit the nonsense you're spouting?

When you said about being left in the wake of our rivals I thought you meant now, or at least in the last few years not almost 6 years ago which I'm not sure is anyway relevant.

We failed to hold on to the title last season, our luck with injuries ran out and a lack of quality back up kicked in, as is the case this season where no signings have been made.

It’s plain as day the owner’s economic prudence is preventing the best manager in the world from realising his full potential, for the good of LFC the man would not agree but he will continue to do his utmost for the club.

Our best before Klopp was 2nd, that is literally and factually in the wake of our rivals!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #29153: Sep 06, 2021 03:14:03 pm
      We failed to hold on to the title last season, our luck with injuries ran out and a lack of quality back up kicked in, as is the case this season where no signings have been made.

It’s plain as day the owner’s economic prudence is preventing the best manager in the world from realising his full potential, for the good of LFC the man would not agree but he will continue to do his utmost for the club.

Our best before Klopp was 2nd, that is literally and factually in the wake of our rivals!

But we have made a signing, a signing in a position you are complaining didn't have enough quality last season.

What you fail to acknwoledge is that there isn't a team in the league that would have coped with the CB injuries. No team has 6 first team, top quality CB's going into a season, yet that is what we needed last season. Can complain about a lack of signings, funds or whatever, but the fact doesn't change that unless we'd have had 6 first team quality CB's, we were always going to be up the creek.

A team generally prepares with 4 CB's. We had 3 but Fab has played there before and has been training to play CB so that's essentially the 4 and under normal circumstances it would have been fine. We couldn't have accounted for losing the CB's, Fab, Hendo and Thiago pretty much all at the same time, whilst also having spells where Alisson was out too.

The amount of injuries in set areas last season couldn't possibly have been predicted and unless we went into the season with a 35 man squad, it was always going to be near on impossible to retain the title.

City struggled massively a couple of years ago when they lost Laporte. We lost an entire team of CB's, I don't think there is a team in the world that could possibly have handled the situation. The fact that we still came 3rd, 5 points behind 2nd is a testament to just how good this team is.

« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2021 03:21:54 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #29154: Sep 06, 2021 03:34:03 pm
      But we have made a signing, a signing in a position you are complaining didn't have enough quality last season.

What you fail to acknwoledge is that there isn't a team in the league that would have coped with the CB injuries. No team has 6 first team, top quality CB's going into a season, yet that is what we needed last season. Can complain about a lack of signings, funds or whatever, but the fact doesn't change that unless we'd have had 6 first team quality CB's, we were always going to be up the creek.

A team generally prepares with 4 CB's. We had 3 but Fab has played there before and has been training to play CB so that's essentially the 4 and under normal circumstances it would have been fine. We couldn't have accounted for losing the CB's, Fab, Hendo and Thiago pretty much all at the same time, whilst also having spells where Alisson was out too.

The amount of injuries in set areas last season couldn't possibly have been predicted and unless we went into the season with a 35 man squad, it was always going to be near on impossible to retain the title.

City struggled massively a couple of years ago when they lost Laporte. We lost an entire team of CB's, I don't think there is a team in the world that could possibly have handled the situation. The fact that we still came 3rd, 5 points behind 2nd is a testament to just how good this team is.

The owner’s reluctance to part with the monies earned off the back of LFC cost us the title last season regardless of the massed numbers of stand ins you suggest were available.

The same situation exists and hopefully the need for quality replacement will not derail this season’s campaign.

« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2021 04:51:43 pm by stuey »
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #29155: Sep 06, 2021 04:46:24 pm

What you're failing to aknowledge is the owners  put their faith in two injury prone centre backs. They knew Matip and Gomez's injury record. They knew we had to call in Lovren a few times because of the aboves poor fitness records. We  entered the season with three *quality* centrebacks.

1. Virj
      2. Matip
      3. Gomez.

Two of the three, based on previous records, were bound to get injured.

We then had two young centrebacks in Nat and Rhys. Nat was on his way out and Rhys wasn't/isn't good enough.

So the owners decided that three *quality* centre backs, of which two have disastrous injury records, was enough to defend our league title. Fabinho acting as fourth choice.

Taking Fab out the middle was always going to be detrimental to our starting 11. Fab is a DM and one of the best in the world in that position.   

The owners gambled and it fu**ed up big time. Why did they gamble? Because they refused to budge from their £35m net spend. Basically Jürgen you pick where you want to strengthen but this is all your getting. So the boss was left with square pegs for round holes again.

Once again the boss had to put someone who could "do a job".

We now have the same issue with attack!

1. Salah
      2. Mane
      3. Bobby
      4. Jota
      5. Minamino
      6. Origi

First four are quality (barring form etc) and then we have a MAJOR drop off in quality. They've basically done to attack what they done last year to defence. You'd have thought they'd learn their lesson.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #29156: Sep 06, 2021 05:58:05 pm
      What you're failing to aknowledge is the owners  put their faith in two injury prone centre backs. They knew Matip and Gomez's injury record. They knew we had to call in Lovren a few times because of the aboves poor fitness records. We  entered the season with three *quality* centrebacks.

1. Virj
      2. Matip
      3. Gomez.

We then had two young centrebacks in Nat and Rhys. Nat was on his way out and Rhys wasn't/isn't good enough.

So the owners decided that three *quality* centre backs, of which two have disastrous injury records, was enough to defend our league title. Fabinho acting as fourth choice.

Taking Fab out the middle was always going to be detrimental to our starting 11. Fab is a DM and one of the best in the world in that position.   

The owners gambled and it fu**ed up big time. Why did they gamble? Because they refused to budge from their £35m net spend. Basically Jürgen you pick where you want to strengthen but this is all your getting. So the boss was left with square pegs for round holes again.

1. Salah
      2. Mane
      3. Bobby
      4. Jota
      5. Minamino
      6. Origi

First four are quality (barring form etc) and then we have a MAJOR drop off in quality. They've basically done to attack what they done last year to defence. You'd have thought they'd learn their lesson.

Is anyone's 5 choice attacker not a big drop off on quality?

I think because of the mad injury crisis last season many people's thoughts on what constitutes a squad is way over normal expectations.

We can only have 25 player's and to expect 5 or 6 of those to be attackers of the quality of Salah, Mane and Jota is simply not realistic.
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #29157: Sep 06, 2021 07:45:30 pm
      Is anyone's 5 choice attacker not a big drop off on quality?

I think because of the mad injury crisis last season many people's thoughts on what constitutes a squad is way over normal expectations.

We can only have 25 player's and to expect 5 or 6 of those to be attackers of the quality of Salah, Mane and Jota is simply not realistic.

I don't expect Salah quality right the way through. I do expect your Minaminos and Origis to be moved on and more capable forwards brought in.

As you know we play with a front three which means we need more attackers than most especially when our midfield three are all utility men. Our midfield don't score goals. That means if one of our front three is having a mare we can bring on Jota but after that it's down to those three to score. One quality replacement for three positions isn't good enough idc.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 731 posts | 112 
      Reply #29158: Sep 06, 2021 09:04:25 pm

As has been pointed out on numerous occasions, we have the second-highest spend on player wages in the country. The owners do splash the cash. Why do you consistently fail to even acknowledge this point?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #29159: Sep 06, 2021 09:19:12 pm
      As has been pointed out on numerous occasions, we have the second-highest spend on player wages in the country. The owners do splash the cash. Why do you consistently fail to even acknowledge this point?

How many times!!
      The owners have spent less than £400m acquiring the club, THAT IS THE SUM  TOTAL OF THEIR SPEND.

FFS keep up.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #29160: Sep 06, 2021 09:22:32 pm

1. Virj
      2. Matip
      3. Gomez.

1. Salah
      2. Mane
      3. Bobby
      4. Jota
      5. Minamino
      6. Origi

Didn’t need to acknowledge it to be honest mate, we all knew the situation regarding the fitness of Gomez and Matip. Additionally, Lovren, the 4th choice CB was also injury prone so if anything, by having the 4th choice become Fab, it was actually hopefully bringing more stability to the position in terms of availability.

Personally I do think it was a mistake not getting a Lovren replacement but at the same time, I wasn’t particularly bothered at the time that we didn’t because Fab had played that role for us a few times, most notably in a dominant performance vs Bayern who are no pushovers. Then just before the injuries really took hold of our season, Fab partnered Virgil in a comfortable 2-0 win vs the Chavs where Fab looked a natural once again. Obviously take Virgil away and Fab wasn’t quite showing the same level of composure at CB but I don’t think even the most skeptical of people would ever have suggested a scenario where Virgil, Matip and Gomez all picked up season ending injuries roughly around the same time…it’s a crazy scenario when you think about it. I can’t remember a time where we have been decimated in one position to such an extent. And that is before you include the big injuries to Fab, Thiago and Hendo.

You make a fair point about being weaker without Fab in the midfield, but Hendo showed the season before how effective he can be in that position so I don’t really view that as a concern.

My biggest issue isn’t with the lack of reinforcements to the position in the summer, for the reasons I’ve already stated. I have more of an issue with our failure to do so in January. We came into the New Year top of the league, that was the time to reinforce and get stability back within the defence. Obviously it soon spiralled and we essentially lost all control, getting beat game after the game for 6 weeks or whatever it was. Waiting until Jan 31st to bring in 2 players, 1 of which didn’t even make an appearance was where the biggest failings were IMO.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,161 posts | 829 
      Reply #29161: Sep 06, 2021 10:12:09 pm

The owners have spent less than £400m acquiring the club, THAT IS THE SUM  TOTAL OF THEIR SPEND.

No it's not

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #29162: Sep 06, 2021 10:33:14 pm

Give me actual proof of FSG parting with their own money for the benefit of LFC.
      Loans to the club of course are not included.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,687 posts | 3363 
      Reply #29163: Sep 06, 2021 11:44:02 pm

1. Virj
      2. Matip
      3. Gomez.

1. Salah
      2. Mane
      3. Bobby
      4. Jota
      5. Minamino
      6. Origi

The owners didn’t decide all that

Edwards and Klopp did - why would you think the owners make decisions on players arriving or leaving ?

And the season we won the league Gomez played 43 games in total throughout the whole season

Gomez suffered two injuries very early on and then got an impact injury - in three seasons he missed 23 games and that was one injury

Quick Reply