Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2642489 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #32361: Nov 04, 2022 11:50:18 pm

They run the Red Sox and Penguins plus their nascar team in the same way - they finance themselves and they donā€™t prioritise any team over any of the others

The finances of each sport run a little bit differently but essentially itā€™s all the same type of club in regards self sufficiency

Presumed that would be the case. Are those teams successful / been competing each year?

What do their fans think of FSG?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #32362: Nov 05, 2022 02:27:05 pm
      Presumed that would be the case. Are those teams successful / been competing each year?

What do their fans think of FSG?

Under FSG rhe Red Sox have won the World Series 4 times - that was after going 90 years without winning , think they reached one more.  Last in the playoffs 2021. No idea what their fans think of them

They only bought the Penguins under 12 months ago.

They are next looking to go into NFL
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #32363: Nov 05, 2022 08:35:06 pm
      Under FSG rhe Red Sox have won the World Series 4 times - that was after going 90 years without winning , think they reached one more.  Last in the playoffs 2021. No idea what their fans think of them

They only bought the Penguins under 12 months ago.

They are next looking to go into NFL

Theyā€™ve owned the Red Sox for 21/22 years or so havenā€™t they? 4 titles in 22 years? I know absolutely nothing about Red Sox or baseball so no idea if thatā€™s considered good or not.

Wonder if our American posters have any understanding of what theyā€™re thought of by Red Sox fans etc. Would be quite interesting.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #32364: Nov 05, 2022 08:46:05 pm
      Theyā€™ve owned the Red Sox for 21/22 years or so havenā€™t they? 4 titles in 22 years? I know absolutely nothing about Red Sox or baseball so no idea if thatā€™s considered good or not.

Wonder if our American posters have any understanding of what theyā€™re thought of by Red Sox fans etc. Would be quite interesting.

Looking at the results of the World Series since FSG took , Red Sox have won more than any other team - Giants 3 times , Cardinals 2 ,

Did find this in regards questioning players getting contracts etc - no idea how the transfer system works etc

https://www.si.com/soccer/liverpool/.amp/interviews/fsg-ownership-boston-red-sox-fan-honest-view-liverpool-john-w-henry
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #32365: Nov 05, 2022 09:34:43 pm

Looking at the results of the World Series since FSG took , Red Sox have won more than any other team - Giants 3 times , Cardinals 2 ,

Did find this in regards questioning players getting contracts etc - no idea how the transfer system works etc

https://www.si.com/soccer/liverpool/.amp/interviews/fsg-ownership-boston-red-sox-fan-honest-view-liverpool-john-w-henry

Good read that with some similarities.

Interesting that Red Sox fan mentions 2023, the same time FSG need to invest in our squad. I canā€™t see us making much through sales so time will tell if theyā€™ll go out and spend.

With Ox, naby, Milner and Bobby all likely to leave & for nothing then there are quite a few players to replace there.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #32366: Nov 05, 2022 10:13:10 pm

Interesting that Red Sox fan mentions 2023, the same time FSG need to invest in our squad. I canā€™t see us making much through sales so time will tell if theyā€™ll go out and spend.

With Ox, naby, Milner and Bobby all likely to leave & for nothing then there are quite a few players to replace there.

Heard rumour Bobby might be offered a contract but will.need to take a hefty pay cut
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #32367: Nov 06, 2022 12:27:52 pm

Iā€™m not sure how much money we have without selling. Last season it was around Ā£50mil , the season before was Ā£60mil - all the talk was there was Ā£80mil to spend on someone like Touchmeni or Bellingham last summer so there is the potential there could be Ā£100mil plus to spend plus any sale money 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø - which I guess is where all the talk of Bellingham for the summer is about

Reading social media in regards the Red Sox - there are at a stage where they have some established players on big money and only some can get the guaranteed money so club looking to bring in free agents and use the drafts etc -

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #32368: Nov 06, 2022 01:19:46 pm

Iā€™m not sure how much money we have without selling. Last season it was around Ā£50mil , the season before was Ā£60mil - all the talk was there was Ā£80mil to spend on someone like Touchmeni or Bellingham last summer so there is the potential there could be Ā£100mil plus to spend plus any sale money 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø - which I guess is where all the talk of Bellingham for the summer is about

Reading social media in regards the Red Sox - there are at a stage where they have some established players on big money and only some can get the guaranteed money so club looking to bring in free agents and use the drafts etc -

Until the money is spent it was never there though. Weā€™re just going to sound like bluenoses asking John where the touchmeni money is.

If we donā€™t qualify for the CL which at the moment thatā€™s a real possibility, I imagine that money will to cover whatever losses we have there. It could potentially put us back a few years.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #32369: Nov 06, 2022 01:21:41 pm
      Until the money is spent it was never there though. Weā€™re just going to sound like bluenoses asking John where the touchmeni money is.

If we donā€™t qualify for the CL which at the moment thatā€™s a real possibility, I imagine that money will to cover whatever losses we have there. It could potentially put us back a few years.

Iā€™m guessing the Touchmeni money is there for their next target 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #32370: Nov 06, 2022 01:23:34 pm

Iā€™m guessing the Touchmeni money is there for their next target 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø

But if we donā€™t qualify for the CL that money will need to be used to cover our losses surely?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #32371: Nov 06, 2022 01:26:57 pm
      But if we donā€™t qualify for the CL that money will need to be used to cover our losses surely?

Who knows. Iā€™m sure they are prepared for any potential issues.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #32372: Nov 06, 2022 02:55:24 pm
      I wonder if FSG have a cut off point this season regarding what league position we may finish in to whether they sack Klopp.

Personally, if we finish 10th and win nothing, I still would keep him. He has enough credit for me to let him have a crap year. Plus I genuinely donā€™t think there is anyone better out there.

But FSG? Iā€™m not sure. They will know how popular he isā€¦.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #32373: Nov 06, 2022 03:01:19 pm
      I wonder if FSG have a cut off point this season regarding what league position we may finish in to whether they sack Klopp.

Personally, if we finish 10th and win nothing, I still would keep him. He has enough credit for me to let him have a crap year. Plus I genuinely donā€™t think there is anyone better out there.

But FSG? Iā€™m not sure. They will know how popular he isā€¦.

I believe it will be all about the CL money. Itā€™s like Arsene Wenger at Arsenal. They didnā€™t need to win trophies to keep him. They just needed him to bring in the CL money. And that was how he survived for so many years at Arsenal without winning many things.
      stagwood
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #32374: Nov 07, 2022 12:52:10 pm
      FSG put the club up for sale!!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #32375: Nov 07, 2022 02:44:46 pm

They also let their best player leave to avoid paying a luxury tax.
      Guy they should have built the team around.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #32376: Nov 07, 2022 02:46:05 pm

Being honest - no idea , what does the luxury tax mean ? Who was it ?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #32377: Nov 07, 2022 02:49:46 pm
      Being honest - no idea , what does the luxury tax mean ? Who was it ?

Mookie Betts.

https://www.wbur.org/cognoscenti/2020/02/06/mookie-betts-david-price-peter-may

It's an alternative Time Line for LFC fans if fans had no voice.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #32378: Nov 07, 2022 02:57:55 pm

So they could have extended his contract for life and then itā€™s against the wage bill and itā€™s capped ? But then they would have had a star player to build around ?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #32379: Nov 07, 2022 03:00:36 pm

So they could have extended his contract for life and then itā€™s against the wage bill and itā€™s capped ? But then they would have had a star player to build around ?

Seems like bad business all round just to avoid tax.
      Basically traded their MVP away.
      I know guys that are Red Sox fans that were furious over it.
      At the time they said it was like LFC just trading Salah away.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #32380: Nov 07, 2022 03:02:37 pm
      Seems like bad business all round just to avoid tax.
      Basically traded their MVP away.
      I know guys that are Red Sox fans that were furious over it.
      At the time they said it was like LFC just trading Salah away.

Cheers - does seem strange in regards tax purposes though
      Prime
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts | 12 
      Reply #32381: Nov 07, 2022 03:03:06 pm

American poster here. 4 World Series titles in roughly 20 years is amazing. They hadnā€™t won in 90 years before that. And they lost in the semi-finals of the playoffs another 3 times. Thatā€™s an amazing stretch and theyā€™ve been one of the best teams over that 20 year span. I canā€™t think of a team that has accomplished more except for maybe the Astros.. and the Astros success has all come in the past 6 years.
      Prime
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts | 12 
      Reply #32382: Nov 07, 2022 03:08:44 pm
      Luxury tax kills your team. Itā€™s smart to let the big money players walk and let other teams pay them and instead find value.. whether that is small money value or big money value, the superstar always gets vastly overpaid in free agency.

Look at the Astros.. they let Springer, Correa, and Cole all walk. They replaced them with young talent and spent money elsewhere and just won the World Series.

Itā€™s about maximizing the value of your roster as a whole. Thatā€™s not to say you never pay a superstar.. but you have to be smart about which guys to pay and which guys to let walk.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #32383: Nov 07, 2022 03:27:07 pm
      Itā€™s about maximizing the value of your roster as a whole. Thatā€™s not to say you never pay a superstar.. but you have to be smart about which guys to pay and which guys to let walk.

Maybe they are looking to sell the club to finance new deals for Bogaerts and Devers ;D

Interesting when you look at their latest acquisition in Pittsburgh Penguins of the NHL. A aging team who best players are close to done (Crosby, Letang, Malkin) so major rebuild will be needed for that as well though with hard cap won't be nearly as costly

Quick Reply