Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2643666 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #32384: Nov 07, 2022 03:44:58 pm
      Luxury tax kills your team. It’s smart to let the big money players walk and let other teams pay them and instead find value.. whether that is small money value or big money value, the superstar always gets vastly overpaid in free agency.

Look at the Astros.. they let Springer, Correa, and Cole all walk. They replaced them with young talent and spent money elsewhere and just won the World Series.

It’s about maximizing the value of your roster as a whole. That’s not to say you never pay a superstar.. but you have to be smart about which guys to pay and which guys to let walk.

It certainly has parallels in signing "the next Bellingham" in the likes of Elliott and Carvalho.
      In Baseball it's a closed shop so easier to work.
      Not the same when you have PSG, City and now Newcastle with the ability to operate at a different level.
      No Luxury Tax lying in wait to peg back those three.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #32385: Nov 07, 2022 03:49:22 pm
      They also let their best player leave to avoid paying a luxury tax.
      Guy they should have built the team around.

Why in the world are we bringing baseball into this conversation? they are independently run teams.

Betts declined a $300M contract offer from the Red Sox so he was traded as they would have lost him for nothing in the summer.
      Prime
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts | 12 
      Reply #32386: Nov 07, 2022 04:15:29 pm
      It certainly has parallels in signing "the next Bellingham" in the likes of Elliott and Carvalho.
      In Baseball it's a closed shop so easier to work.
      Not the same when you have PSG, City and now Newcastle with the ability to operate at a different level.
      No Luxury Tax lying in wait to peg back those three.
      Yeah, its impossible to go toe to toe with huge money like that with those teams. That’s why you have to find another way to compete.

There is a great movie called “Moneyball” about this very topic with Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill about the Oakland Athletics baseball team. Back in the early 00’s, they had probably the poorest team in the league. They came up with a new way to find value in players and went on an insane winning streak and had the best record in the league. The ideas behind that success changed how MLB teams are managed and the Red Sox were early adopters of the philosophy before their championship runs.

Even if you’re not a baseball fan, it’s just a great movie if you love sports.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #32387: Nov 07, 2022 08:20:06 pm
      Sounds like great excuse to not spend big in January if you ask me..... :f_run:
      NitoLF
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #32388: Nov 07, 2022 08:22:57 pm
      Sounds like great excuse to not spend big in January if you ask me..... :f_run:

I did not think of this angle veryyy fsg style to do something like this then declare after jan that no one came in
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #32389: Nov 08, 2022 09:11:20 am
      Yeah, its impossible to go toe to toe with huge money like that with those teams. That’s why you have to find another way to compete.

There is a great movie called “Moneyball” about this very topic with Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill about the Oakland Athletics baseball team. Back in the early 00’s, they had probably the poorest team in the league. They came up with a new way to find value in players and went on an insane winning streak and had the best record in the league. The ideas behind that success changed how MLB teams are managed and the Red Sox were early adopters of the philosophy before their championship runs.

The book is a far more accurate look at the details of the strategy/philosophy. The movie makes it look as if the team totally disregarded in-person scouting, which has never been true. It should also be noted that the team results were about as successful the two seasons prior to the season the story covers.

But the rise of sabremetrics has been a major trend over the past 20 years in baseball, and John Henry utilized it well as his team won four championships.

Ian Graham from Cambridge spearheaded this effort at Liverpool. You still need intuitive decision-making at the top to remain successful.
      Prime
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts | 12 
      Reply #32390: Nov 09, 2022 05:17:50 pm
      The book is a far more accurate look at the details of the strategy/philosophy. The movie makes it look as if the team totally disregarded in-person scouting, which has never been true. It should also be noted that the team results were about as successful the two seasons prior to the season the story covers.

But the rise of sabremetrics has been a major trend over the past 20 years in baseball, and John Henry utilized it well as his team won four championships.

Ian Graham from Cambridge spearheaded this effort at Liverpool. You still need intuitive decision-making at the top to remain successful.
      I’ve read the book also, as well as other books on sports analytics. I agree with you completely.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #32391: Jan 07, 2023 10:28:11 pm
      These F***ing numpties have fu**ed us.
      The midfield lads will do their best but they and JĂźrgen have been left up the poxy creek without a paddle.
      Am not just pissed off about this season, which is already starting to peeter out.

It's the amount of work they have left us to do to get the midfield up to the standard that we would need to be to challenge for the title again. The lack of investment over many windows.

And why are we signing Gapko when we need to sign F***ing midfield quality, and have done for some time.
      Pretty frustrating.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #32392: Jan 07, 2023 10:33:55 pm
      These f**king numpties have fu**ed us.
      The midfield lads will do their best but they and JĂźrgen have been left up the poxy creek without a paddle.
      Am not just pissed off about this season, which is already starting to peeter out.

It's the amount of work they have left us to do to get the midfield up to the standard that we would need to be to challenge for the title again. The lack of investment over many windows.

And why are we signing Gapko when we need to sign f**king midfield quality, and have done for some time.
      Pretty frustrating.

Have they not just spent ÂŁ130mil ish this season  - the manager and recruitment team decided to spend it on forwards
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #32393: Jan 07, 2023 10:43:35 pm
      Have they not just spent ÂŁ130mil ish this season  - the manager and recruitment team decided to spend it on forwards

Mane needed to be replaced, and Nunez came in.

I've already said I've no clue why we spent money on Gapko.

Am not even going argue the fact that the midfield need to be improved anymore, cause that is patently obvious. And that is something that has be let happen over many windows, and discussed on here time after time.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #32394: Jan 07, 2023 10:46:32 pm

Am not even going argue the fact that the midfield need to be improved anymore, cause that is patently obvious. And that is something that has be let happen over many windows, and discussed on here time after time.

Wasn’t Diaz the replacement for Mane ?

Yes midfielders need to arrive to replace players but that’s not FSG making those choices , that’s Klopp and he recruitment team
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #32395: Jan 07, 2023 11:10:03 pm
      Wasn’t Diaz the replacement for Mane ?

Yes midfielders need to arrive to replace players but that’s not FSG making those choices , that’s Klopp and he recruitment team

Don't see many in here anymore talking about 9 midfielders etc etc.
      You are literally almost the only person I know who doesn't think FSG have under-invested in the midfield now over many seasons/windows.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #32396: Jan 07, 2023 11:12:49 pm
      Don't see many in here anymore talking about 9 midfielders etc etc.
      You are literally almost the only person I know who doesn't think FSG have under-invested in the midfield now over many seasons/windows.

FSG aren’t picking the players that arrive - Klopp and Co do - they have made the choice on which players arrive.

They aren’t telling them to spend the money on a forward instead of a midfielder, they didn’t tell the recruitment team to spend £40mil on Gakpo instead of Amrabat for example- that’s Klopps choice
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #32397: Jan 07, 2023 11:20:37 pm
      FSG aren’t picking the players that arrive - Klopp and Co do - they have made the choice on which players arrive.

They aren’t telling them to spend the money on a forward instead of a midfielder, they didn’t tell the recruitment team to spend £40mil on Gakpo instead of Amrabat for example- that’s Klopps choice

OMG I have to agree with you 🤣

But seriously this is where the club seems to be in a bit of a shambles, I’m pretty sure Edwards would not have allowed this situation to have develop, you give free reign to any attacking manager like Klopp and he will sign 11 attackers 😊

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #32398: Jan 07, 2023 11:26:30 pm
      OMG I have to agree with you 🤣

But seriously this is where the club seems to be in a bit of a shambles, I’m pretty sure Edwards would not have allowed this situation to have develop, you give free reign to any attacking manager like Klopp and he will sign 11 attackers 😊

One reason I've always been a fan of DoF/Sporting Director style of structure.

Prime
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts | 12 
      Reply #32399: Jan 08, 2023 12:09:52 am

Klopp should not be making those decisions. He should give input, but a coach’s interest is not necessarily the best long-term interest of the team. A coach wants to win now, because his job is on the line and doesn’t think as much about the future.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,557 posts | 135 
      Reply #32400: Jan 08, 2023 12:26:28 am
      If we carry on like this Klopp will get sacked/walk away before we get new owners.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #32401: Jan 08, 2023 09:09:51 am

Know what your saying mate, Gakpo could be just the start for all we know, maybe it’s just that he was available to bring in immediately, rather than waiting until summer, he linked up well last night considering his first game, but you can see he has quality and will form a great trio with Robbo and Diaz left side, similar to Trent Harvey & Mo right side, I think Klopp knows what he needs, and will get, it’s just he and we need to be patient until the Spondoolies becomes available, and hope it’s not too late by then for certain targets.

Hope over Fear !! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Y  N  W  A

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #32402: Jan 08, 2023 09:16:16 am

Was that the right decision though?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #32403: Jan 08, 2023 09:35:46 am

This is true.

Unlike others I'm confident the next few signings will be midfielders.  It is strange why we haven't signed a new central midfielder past few seasons. As you say klopp and others decisions,  and or waiting on the right players to be available.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #32404: Jan 08, 2023 10:18:28 am

Whether it was right or wrong it doesn’t make it the owners fault
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #32405: Jan 08, 2023 10:26:18 am
      Whether it was right or wrong it doesn’t make it the owners fault

That’s not what I asked. Do you always have to go round the houses with your answers or can you just for once put it in laymens terms and say yes or no. You must have some splinters in your arse sitting on that fence.  ;D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #32406: Jan 08, 2023 10:32:02 am
      That’s not what I asked. Do you always have to go round the houses with your answers or can you just for once put it in laymens terms and say yes or no. You must have some splinters in your arse sitting on that fence.  ;D

Yeah but it’s not the owners fault he can’t answer straight 🤣🤣

Quick Reply