Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Pepe Reina
      (13.5%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (6.3%)
      Sotirios Kyrgiakos
      (42.1%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (34.9%)
      Raul Meireles
      (3.2%)

Bolton 0-1 Liverpool: In-game & post-match aftermath

Read 56908 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,649 posts | 6945 
      Re: Bolton 0-1 Liverpool: In-game & post-match aftermath
      Reply #759: Nov 01, 2010 12:23:55 pm
      Hodgson said it was a 'gritty win'.  

To be entirely honest I actually thought as well as quality, we were lacking in grit.  We often bottled out of challenges, were clearly inferior to Bolton in the 'getting stuck in' side of the game.

We won because Bolton's shooting was off target, Reina made a couple of good stops, and a moment of Torres skill nutmegged a Bolton defender.

Like everyone said, the 3 points were vital, especially when we face Chelsea next and they have the ability to put us back down near the bottom.  

We've had maybe 2 or 3 good performances out of 18 games now.  You would maybe accept 2 or 3 bad games in 18.

we played with 2 strikers against Man City

Exactly.  People need to remember that it is more than just simply playing 2 strikers.  We almost won the league playing 4-2-3-1.

The problem is entirely down to tactics.  We have a bad left back and a bad right back.  No width, no getting down the line.  The midfield are far too close to the defence.

The mentality is one of defensiveness and counter-attack down the middle.  As opposed to when we used to dominate midfield and play high up the pitch.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #760: Nov 01, 2010 12:26:56 pm
      We've had maybe 2 or 3 good performances out of 18 games now.  You would maybe accept 2 or 3 bad games in 18.

Exactly.  It doesn't give you any confidence going in to next week.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #761: Nov 01, 2010 12:50:38 pm
      Nice to get the win, but the performance wasn't the best. When Maxi scored it was brilliant to be there, the Maxi song continued out of the stadium, it was boss!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #762: Nov 01, 2010 12:58:37 pm
      I agree JD the mentality is not one of confidence but one of the manager thinks we are sh*t but has to  put up with us until January.
      He is  not exactly Shanklyesque (?) in his motivation of players is he.
      « Last Edit: Nov 01, 2010 08:30:20 pm by waltonl4 »
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #763: Nov 01, 2010 01:02:26 pm
      credit to the guy when leaving the stadium, there were a couple of bolton fans singing hillsbrough songs, before i had the chance he came up and smacked them both. cu*ts
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,428 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #764: Nov 01, 2010 01:03:17 pm
      If JD thinks the team bottled it yesterday I suggest he needs to get his eyes tested. a decent win against a side playing awful football, davies being a cheat (bloody foreigners), nobody is dressing this up as a great performance but a bottle job ? Are you serious ?
      TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Reply #765: Nov 01, 2010 01:14:25 pm
      Simple fact was it wasn't a great performance, but we won. The only thing about that match that made me smile was the lads at the end of the game chuffed about getting 3 points, which in my mind will affect their next performance as it will obviously instill more confidence, I just think this Chelsea game has come at the wrong time, if we lose then back to where we were before Bolton.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,649 posts | 6945 
      Reply #766: Nov 01, 2010 01:20:03 pm
      If JD thinks the team bottled it yesterday I suggest he needs to get his eyes tested. a decent win against a side playing awful football, davies being a cheat (bloody foreigners), nobody is dressing this up as a great performance but a bottle job ? Are you serious ?

I quite clearly said when it come to a number of challenges the players were bottling out.  Rodriguez, Cole and Konchesky being chief culprits amongst those who seem to need the odds 90:10 in their favour before getting stuck in.

The players were going through the motions.  Only Soto and Skrtel had any fight to try and win the ball for us - apart from Konchesky who arrives at challenges about 3 minutes too late.

Bolton do play awful football.  Almost as bad as their opponents.
      Mr Bleeds
      • Banned

• 367 posts |
      • Here, have a beer.
      Reply #767: Nov 01, 2010 01:56:31 pm
      I quite clearly said when it come to a number of challenges the players were bottling out.  Rodriguez, Cole and Konchesky being chief culprits amongst those who seem to need the odds 90:10 in their favour before getting stuck in.

The players were going through the motions.  Only Soto and Skrtel had any fight to try and win the ball for us - apart from Konchesky who arrives at challenges about 3 minutes too late.

Bolton do play awful football.  Almost as bad as their opponents.

I think their style is in transition and under new management they are trying to turn that around. A couple of times yesterday they stroked the ball about quite well, while still having their accustomed style of 'knocking it long', they seem to mix it up a fair bit.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #768: Nov 01, 2010 02:06:23 pm
      JD does have a point, I only managed to watch highlights of the game and even then it was evident that we seemed afraid to get some strong challenges in. Cole and Rodriguez I can understand as they're more attack minded(supposedly!) and tackling isn't their first priority but Konchesky, who's a defender don't forget, should be ashamed of himself. You're a defender you slap headed prat now get stuck in!!!!!

We were lucky, very lucky. If we go into the Chelsea game playing like this then we're in for a royal shafting. Without lube.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #769: Nov 01, 2010 06:27:15 pm
      Not a great performance by any means but at least we got the win. It is this kind of result that wins you trophies, regardless of the performances. Hope we can keep it up but like everyone else, i am no way getting carried away. To me, we have not yet turned the corner. Onwards and upwards though.
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #770: Nov 01, 2010 06:53:59 pm
      http://kunaldua.posterous.com/chalkboards-how-liverpool-are-playing-differe

This is interesting. A little insight into the way we are going under Roy.

Makes you wonder why Torres and Reina (supposedly) want to leave.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #771: Nov 01, 2010 07:16:05 pm
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #772: Nov 01, 2010 08:25:04 pm
      Good win, wasnt great but 3 points and back to back league wins going into sundays game so Im happy.

Thought Sotis, Lucas and Skrtel all played well again. Nando struggled again be it lack of support/confidence or whatever.

Doesnt change the fact that Roy is and never will be a LFC manager.

Big shout to all the reds at the game yesterday, done us proud  ;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #773: Nov 01, 2010 10:34:48 pm
      Christ 2 wins on the bounce :o

Keep it going Reds!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #774: Nov 02, 2010 10:15:18 am
      In the 1st half I thought we were playing Chelsea. Not because of the football Bolton were playing but because of the way Davies and Almander were diving to the ground any time we breathed on them.  :f_steam:

3 points, 2 wins in a row and a slight smile on my face at the moment however we can't deny that was a sh*te performance for 86 minutes. Thank F**k for that class back heel from Nando for Maxi to poke the ball home for the winner.

I hope Roy doesn't think he should take any credit for that win. If it wasn't for the injury to Joe forcing him to come off, Roy would have most likely played the starting 11 for the full 90 minutes.  :mad:

Oh well, I don't want to get on a downer again coz we got the win, let's do one over Napoli and then next Sunday hopefully the lads will bring their A+ game for the Chavs at home in front of a packed Anfield.

P.S Muchos respect to the travelling fans again. You were awesome.

Quick Reply