• Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Hansen: Hodgson inherited a squad with too many average players
      Oct 18, 2010 10:51:38 am
      Hansen: Hodgson inherited a squad with too many average players

Author:  Ben Moss
      Posted on:18 October 2010 - 08:57

Liverpool legend Alan Hansen has criticised former Anfield supremo Rafa Benitez suggesting Roy Hodgson has inherited a playing staff with too many average players that go missing at vital moments.

Languishing in 19th position in the Premier League following their humbling defeat to their bitter Merseyside rivals Everton, Hansen believes the squad rely on “four or five exceptional” players, but once those aforementioned fall below their best, there is no one capable of stepping up.

Hansen believes the club’s malaise has been on the cards for some time, suggesting the squad is very similar to the one that finished second to Manchester United two years ago, but that now there is a collective lack of confidence which is threatening to cost Roy Hodgson his job at Anfield.

Hansen told the Telegraph: “Though he (Gerrard) has played better than all of his outfield team-mates this season, he can no longer drag the club along by the force of his own will.

“And yet there is nobody among the squad at Hodgson’s disposal prepared to stand up and offer something extra, something different, when they stand on the edge of the abyss.

“There are too many players who look good when things are going well, but seem resigned to being poor when everything is not so perfect.

“That has been coming for a long time.

“Hodgson inherited a squad with too many average players and four or five exceptional ones, but for so long had they been used to looking to the real top two that, when they are a shadow of their former selves, there is nobody to step into the breach.

“This is largely the same Liverpool side who finished second just two years ago. True, Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano have left the club, but the overwhelming majority of players were there when Real Madrid and Manchester United were beaten comprehensively in successive games.

“They still have internationals in every position, whether it is Joe Cole, who has been a regular in the England set-up for years, or Dirk Kuyt, who played in the World Cup final for Holland, while they have added Raul Meireles, who was exceptional for Portugal in South Africa.

“But the difference between then and now is in their confidence as a collective unit.

“Imagine going into the dressing room two years ago, when Torres and Gerrard were at their best, brimming with certainty that, while you had to play well, those two would do more than enough to win the game for you.

“Now, you would look around and see Torres a million miles from his best, leaving Gerrard alone to make the difference.

“It is up to others to step up to the plate. They have not done that for so long that you wonder who is capable of doing so.

“It is to Hodgson that the task of turning that around falls, and how he goes about it is something only he can answer.

“That is how he earns his corn. But what Liverpool need more than anything is to throw caution aside against Blackburn on Sunday and produce a performance to show the world that they are not finished.

“Not only that, but a performance to prove to themselves that they cannot possibly be as bad as they currently are.”

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/45379/Hansen_Hodgson_inherited_a_squad_with_too_many_average_players.aspx?

Is Hodgson really to blame for the poorest start since the Premiership began? YES

Is there any such team in the premiership filled with world class players for every position? NO

How many teams in the premiership have a first 11 that is clearly better than our first 11? NONE

Did Rafa Benitez play a part in the way this season has turned out? NO

How many members on here can honestly answers these questions unbiased?

My take is simple:

The same team that held Arsenal to a 1-1 draw, with ten men and a error of an equalizer. We have the crop of players that can play much better than they are right now.

Our current position does not reflect our true abilities.

There is simply no synergy in the team effort, there is the lack of confidence; Add to this, a tactically shallow manager and you have 19th position.

3 or 4 seasons ago, we went 11 straight games without a single win; and we still came third or fourth. So all is not lost.

However, the lack of confidence I see in the squad was there before this season started; BUT it just goes to further confirm how far RH is out of his depths as he has been unable to do anything about it.

Rafa's last season's showing was poor amidst claims that he'd lost the dressing room; So the british press, often merciless, when dealing with Rafa, will always blame Rafa and not Hodgson for the current state of the team.

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Hansen: Hodgson inherited a squad with too many average players
      Reply #1: Oct 18, 2010 11:03:26 am
      The thing is, no matter who is selected for the first XI, they should be able to play football, even at it's simplest of ways. It's just simply unexplainable that our first eleven are better that all the other teams in league bar a few, and yet we still play worse than them.

The two goals Blackpool scored showed us how far we have fallen behind. It was two exquisite passes that led to their goals, something we should be doing and usually used to do.

Rafa's last season was bad but he didn't have Torres, Aquilani and Gerrard for parts of the season. This season, Gerrard and Torres have played 90 minutes in most, if not all, of their games and yet we have failed to score whereas Rafa gets criticised for taking them off before the end in his time here. I know he should be playing them when we needed a goal but it's just Rafa being Rafa who likes protecting his key players for the next game. And Rafa, will always get slated by the media because he's Rafael Benitez.

The reason why I think Roy Hodgson is not the right person is because he's not changing anything. He keeps persisting with tactics and strategies in the next games when they have clearly failed to work in previous matches. He probably believes if he stuck with it, it will eventually come off but that's not what a good manager does. Add to that, his kiss assing with our biggest rivals.
      Benny Taz
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 58 posts |
      Reply #2: Oct 18, 2010 11:04:08 am
      I'm pissed off at these totally erroneous attempts by people who-should-know-better at defending Roy Hodgson by saying stuff like this. It is insulting to the fans and to the person saying it. Come on! if Hodgson's a capable manager, then he should be able to get this team of average players an average position in the league i.e; mid-table and, not second bottom! FFS!  :f_steam:
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #3: Oct 18, 2010 11:08:59 am
      I dont think its just the average players that are the problem as Roy had a team full of them at Fulham ,my concern is Fernando Torres and his sulking behaviour ,when Steven Gerrard scored his goal against Sunderland recentley Gerrard totally ignored Torres and Torres trotted back to the half way line when useually they are all over each other ,my guess is Torres has had an earfull from Gerrard about his lack of effort and sulky body language ,moving on to yesterday it was shocking to see him give Carra the shush sign after Carra said he should have come across and make more effort for the ball up the line.If there are fall outs amongst senior players it needs sorting and sorting now as this can spread through the camp and when your down in the bottom two everyone needs to be pulling in the same direction.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,499 posts | 8678 
      Reply #4: Oct 18, 2010 11:10:09 am
      I dont think its just the average players that are the problem as Roy had a team full of them at Fulham ,my concern is Fernando Torres and his sulking behaviour ,when Steven Gerrard scored his goal against Sunderland recentley Gerrard totally ignored Torres and Torres trotted back to the half way line when useually they are all over each other ,my guess is Torres has had an earfull from Gerrard about his lack of effort and sulky body language ,moving on to yesterday it was shocking to see him give Carra the shush sign after Carra said he should have come across and make more effort for the ball up the line.If there are fall outs amongst senior players it needs sorting and sorting now as this can spread through the camp and when your down in the bottom two everyone needs to be pulling in the same direction.

Gerrard has got a bit of a cheek, especially after his spells sulking last season.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #5: Oct 18, 2010 11:14:00 am
      Gerrard has got a bit of a cheek, especially after his spells sulking last season.

He is the captain! dammit!
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #6: Oct 18, 2010 11:25:14 am
      I'm pissed off at these totally erroneous attempts by people who-should-know-better at defending Roy Hodgson by saying stuff like this. It is insulting to the fans and to the person saying it. Come on! if Hodgson's a capable manager, then he should be able to get this team of average players an average position in the league I.e; mid-table and, not second bottom! FFS!  :f_steam:
      I don't get where you are coming from.  Hansen is red through and through and you could see on his face that every poor performance hurts him.  he didn't actually defend Hodgson on the above statement.  If you read it carefully, he is stating that we have not got a squad of much depth and are to reliant on a few players and there is no one good enough to step up.  His comments seem to suggest that Benitez got us punching above our weight with the squad he had, and now we have a mediocre manager, he is unable to get the same performance and results out of them, simply because he is not as good as Benitez.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #7: Oct 18, 2010 11:29:56 am
      Hansen slated Rafa last year and backed Hodgson this year. He backed Cole as good business. Hansen is now wrong and trying to save face. Whether he is told what to say or he finds safety in echoing popular tabloid opinion, he has shown he is wrong and he should say this.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,499 posts | 8678 
      Reply #8: Oct 18, 2010 11:30:25 am

So F***ing what, he still had a F***ing sulking face on him last season and was nowhere near his best, even when he was fit.

Torres looks awful simply because of the sh*t F***ing tactics.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,668 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #9: Oct 18, 2010 11:31:04 am
      Hansen ignoring the facts eh. Expected more from him. Truth is our playing staff has been stripped bare by the previous owners. We all know that. Claiming it is a similar squad is a shocking exposure of his lack of knowledge on the subject.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10: Oct 18, 2010 11:33:09 am
      No mention of the players Roy sold loaned out, most notably Insua Mascherano and Aquilani and no mention of the average players Roy brought in himself most notably Konchesky and Poulsen, No mention of how Roy sets his teams up and no mention of Roy's tactics, I love a good old bit of thoughtful insightful and Factual Punditry.

Hansen would have been better served just saying "Oh sh*t its all going wrong at Liverpool lets blame the Spanish Fella" Laughable Mr Hansen truely Laughable.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,753 posts | 7179 
      Reply #11: Oct 18, 2010 11:33:29 am
      How many of Rafa avg squad went to the world cup finals, more than any other club in the prem I am led to believe.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,499 posts | 8678 
      Reply #12: Oct 18, 2010 11:34:02 am
      No mention of the players Roy sold loaned out, most notably Insua and Aquilani and no mention of the average players Roy brought in himself most notably Konchesky and Poulsen, I love a good old bit of thoughtful insightful and Factual Punditry.

Hansen would have been better served just saying "Oh sh*t its all going wrong at Liverpool lets blame the Spanish Fella" Laughable Mr Hansen truely Laughable.

Just like his former defensive partner.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #13: Oct 18, 2010 11:34:56 am
      Igree with Hansen Hodgson HAS inherited a squad with too many average players!!!
      My problem is Blackpools players are no better than our average players, but F**k me do they show determination, passion and give it there all our average players give us half hearted rubbish!!!
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #14: Oct 18, 2010 11:35:54 am
      Reina
      Agger
      Skrtel
      Cole
      Johnson
      Meireles
      Gerrard
      Torres
      Rodriguez
      Jovanovic
      Kuyt
      Lucas
      Poulsen

All regular players for their country

So I dont see that being Average
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,353 posts | 4968 
      Reply #15: Oct 18, 2010 11:37:11 am
      ,moving on to yesterday it was shocking to see him give Carra the shush sign after Carra said he should have come across and make more effort for the ball up the line.

Could be that Nando is fed up with Carra bawling at everyone while conveniently overlooking his own s**t form this season and last.

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #16: Oct 18, 2010 11:37:44 am
      How many of Rafa avg squad went to the world cup finals, more than any other club in the prem I am led to believe.

And if you ask me, even Alonso and Arbeloa are in the Spanish team because they made their names under Rafa at Liverpool.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,753 posts | 7179 
      Reply #17: Oct 18, 2010 11:39:09 am
      If you take out Mascherano and replace him with Poulsen how does that strengthen the squad.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #18: Oct 18, 2010 11:42:23 am
      He did inherit an everage squad last year for me.

Reina quality, Gerrard quality, Torres quality.

Thats about all. The rest of the squad is made of good players, average players and sh*te players.

However a squad of average players should be looking at mid-table. A squad of Average players and 3 quality players should be looking at European football.

But lets not forget last season we finished outside of european football places, as if it were any other season, Pompey would be in for getting to the FA Cup final, and we wouldn't be in the Europa League.

19th in the league table however, I think the squad hugely better than that, and there is no excuse for the players and Roy to be failing as they are.

Roy is better than 19th with this squad, and the squad is better than 19th with Roy.

But if it can't be shown and it looks like our shittest premier league season yet, the buck stops with the manager, and so he should be 100% to blame, not Rafa.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #19: Oct 18, 2010 11:43:50 am
      Hansen likes to be this straight shooter but in reality he is just a media whore now who will sing for his supper. MArk Lawrenson was not blessed with a brain and so I don't take anything he says seriously. The trouble is he not even funny. In fact I don't know what he is.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #20: Oct 18, 2010 11:46:26 am
      Reina
      Agger
      Skrtel
      Cole
      Johnson
      Meireles
      Gerrard
      Torres
      Rodriguez
      Jovanovic
      Kuyt
      Lucas
      Poulsen

All regular players for their country

So I dont see that being Average

Are they though?

Reina not first choice
      Agger and Skrtl yes, but for poor footballing countries.
      Cole out of the England squad
      Johnson the only English RB except G. Neville.
      Meireles and Gerrard - yes.
      Torres yes,
      Rodriguez, a sub and sh*te
      Jova and Kuyt yes.
      Lucas, not a regular for Brazil, by a long shot!
      Poulsen, shiteeee.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #21: Oct 18, 2010 11:50:23 am
      Just like his former defensive partner.

What I don't get is these so called Pundits and ex players who are supposed to have a love and understanding for the club that surpasses everyone elses, were so quick to call for Rafa's head last season whilst he was dealing with boardroom uncertainty, lack of investment and one of the worst injury crisis I've ever seen at Anfield that seriously hampered our season are now prepared to defend Roy Hodgson who has led us into a far more perilous situation and looks devoid of any ideas to get us out of it, it's beyond belief.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #22: Oct 18, 2010 11:50:56 am
      Are they though?

Reina not first choice
      Agger and Skrtl yes, but for poor footballing countries.
      Cole out of the England squad
      Johnson the only English RB except G. Neville.
      Meireles and Gerrard - yes.
      Torres yes,
      Rodriguez, a sub and sh*te
      Jova and Kuyt yes.
      Lucas, not a regular for Brazil, by a long shot!
      Poulsen, shiteeee.

Could you apply that analysis to Everton and Blackpool then

Quick Reply