Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 9th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D1 L0

Hansen: Hodgson inherited a squad with too many average players

Read 13038 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Hansen: Hodgson inherited a squad with too many average players
      Reply #23: Oct 18, 2010 11:51:47 am
      What I don't get is these so called Pundits and ex players who are supposed to have a love and understanding for the club that surpasses everyone elses, were so quick to call for Rafa's head last season whilst he was dealing with boardroom uncertainty, lack of investment and one of the worst injury crisis I've ever seen at Anfield that seriously hampered our season are now prepared to defend Roy Hodgson who has led us into a far more perilous situation and looks devoid of any ideas to get us out of it, it's beyond belief.

Thats xenophobia for you.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,753 posts | 7179 
      Reply #24: Oct 18, 2010 11:51:57 am
      Cole is in the England sqaud.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #25: Oct 18, 2010 11:52:50 am

What England squad? He hasn't been in one since the world cup where he played 45 mins.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #26: Oct 18, 2010 11:53:03 am
      Are they though?

Reina not first choice
      Agger and Skrtl yes, but for poor footballing countries.
      Cole out of the England squad
      Johnson the only English RB except G. Neville.
      Meireles and Gerrard - yes.
      Torres yes,
      Rodriguez, a sub and sh*te
      Jova and Kuyt yes.
      Lucas, not a regular for Brazil, by a long shot!
      Poulsen, shiteeee.

Lucas is a regular for Brazil and since the WC has been starting
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #27: Oct 18, 2010 11:53:11 am
      If Hansen is basically trying to say there is a lack of effort, why not just say it?  I know he is friendly with some of the players (we can probably guess who) but say it!!

Interesting that he fails to mention tactics, or compare the two styles of Rafa and Roy.  I remember some games where, under Rafa, our centre backs were on the halfway line for most of the match.  Under Roy, they spend more time standing on the 18 yard line. 

It's mental.  Why can these people not see that the tactical set up is the main problem.

And don't even get me started on the lack of width........ it's Houllier all over again  :mad:
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #28: Oct 18, 2010 11:54:00 am
      What England squad? He hasn't been in one since the world cup where he played 45 mins.

Everton and Blackpool aren't exactly draped in World cup winners
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #29: Oct 18, 2010 11:54:59 am
      Lucas is a regular for Brazil and since the WC has been starting

He has played one game since the WC for Brazil. Stop being so pedantic. He is not a regular, and is average, - just about.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,753 posts | 7179 
      Reply #30: Oct 18, 2010 11:55:16 am
      I thought Capello recalled him to the last squad.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,499 posts | 8678 
      Reply #31: Oct 18, 2010 11:58:36 am
      And don't even get me started on the lack of width........ it's Houllier all over again  :mad:

And yet Houllier would have us set up stronger and at least have a clue what tactics we were using.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #32: Oct 18, 2010 12:00:11 pm
      I thought Capello recalled him to the last squad.

You are right, infact he did.

But still he didn't play so no longer a regular.... :D
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,753 posts | 7179 
      Reply #33: Oct 18, 2010 12:02:15 pm
      I always check my facts first. however he is still regarded as a decent player regardless he was also told he would play behind Torres in "his" favoured position but now he is out wide and he isnt a natural winger. We have got enough players to challenge for the top 4 not the bottom 4.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #34: Oct 18, 2010 12:03:42 pm
      I read an article by an Inter fan regarding their win over Caligari. The fan talked about zones and how Inter look jaded because of the world cup etc and actually look defensively sloppier (due to condition of players ) but in fact have had their best start defensively for a long time. He said the reason - high line. It makes it easier to defend because the attacking team has a predictable route to goal. Get a good sweeping keeper and hey presto. DOn't we have one of those.
      Hansen and the pundits have no function other than to polarise viewers in order to retain viewers. Like watching a car crash. They are not there to give analysis
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #35: Oct 18, 2010 12:05:25 pm
      Could be that Nando is fed up with Carra bawling at everyone while conveniently overlooking his own s**t form this season and last.

carra would be the first to admit to his poor form but is it wrong to ask a team mate to make himself available to recieve a pass,everton players probably witnessed torres give the shush gesture and they would thrive on things like that
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #36: Oct 18, 2010 12:08:58 pm
      Roy inherited a squad with Reina, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Mascherano, Aquilani, Kuyt, Benayoun (although Roy probably couldn't do much), Gerrard and Torres.

Yeah that's average.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #37: Oct 18, 2010 12:11:51 pm
      Alan, with all due respect, shut up. Him, and so many apparent legends, have come to his defence when he had us 19th. Rafa had us 10th (with two games in hand at the moment) when i remember Alan coming out and saying 'not good enough'.

Now, apparently, when demanding for much better last season they can defend a bloke who has made us 12 places worse. Thats double and a half times as bad as Rafa theoretically.

So, Alan, shut your trap or speak from the heart, not from the pay cheque.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,753 posts | 7179 
      Reply #38: Oct 18, 2010 12:16:33 pm
      Roy inherited a squad with Reina, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Mascherano, Aquilani, Kuyt, Benayoun (although Roy probably couldn't do much), Gerrard and Torres.

Yeah that's average.
      Yeah probably about £200million avg.
      As fans we dont have the opportunity to make money out of playing or talking about Liverpool so what we say is honest and heart felt.
      We have more than enough quality to be top 4 ( we had to do without Torres quite a lot last year).
      Kop_it
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | 13 
      Reply #39: Oct 18, 2010 12:18:54 pm
      Or maybe our midfield isnt as great as it used to be. Minus Masch Aquilani and Alonso, what are we left? Poulsen? Lucas?
      Or maybe Rafa had the perfect replacement for Alonso, Aquilani who yet has not been given sufficient chances to prove himself due to injury.
      Although, I strongly believe our squad is stronger this year than last year. We lost Masch, and got Raul. We lost Yossi, we got Cole and Jova. As for Aquilani we barely used him last season, and could have played an important role this season.

Lets rewind and realistically see what squad Roy or WE could've had.

Reina
      Johnson Carra Agger Konchesky/Aurelio/Insua/Kelly
              Raul       Aquilani

Kuyt       Gerrard        Cole

Torres

Out of the line up, which player is average? Konchesky possibly.
      Out of the line up, which player is not inherited? Raul. Cole was enticed via Carra and Gerrard. Cole at Liverpool was bound to happen.
      What would a half decent manager put up, let a random bloke?
      And yes, injuries may affect the line up. But contrast it to Roy's strongly preferred line up.

But what puzzles me even more is making it anti Rafa. It's not like he was given 20mil to spend in the summer.
      It is highly likely, Roys tactics and decisions have been mediocre or devastating which is the catalyst for our poor performance.

One thing for sure, I know its not the players fault. They are performing, and want to show their passion and commitment to the club. Something or someone is holding them back from unleashing the optimal from each individual. Twit and tw*t are gone, so it has to be Roys stubborn philosophy which is letting down everyone. Reflect how Agger would feel, not being able to go upfront, shoot at goal or launch balls from the back line. Or Raul bieng played as a right midfielder, not bieng able to play in his original position. Or being let down by dumbfounded manager, saying theyre not good enough for the club. I could rant on, but the list may never end..

Bottom Line, Roy is shyt, and has been a disaster to everyone. His philosophy does not suit Liverpool. A relegation fighting side, possibly.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,753 posts | 7179 
      Reply #40: Oct 18, 2010 12:23:38 pm
      You cant count Aquilani FFS he only played a hand full of game sand was way off the pace after his problems.But agreed we are desperate for wide player that provide natural width and pace.Cole for Benyaoun I'd take that Lucas or Poulsen for Masch big mistake and noone for Alonso even worse.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #41: Oct 18, 2010 12:26:30 pm
      Average comment from an average pundit
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #42: Oct 18, 2010 12:33:27 pm
      Let's think outside the box here eh?. It's not about Roy vs Rafa here, it's about a squad of players that are not good enough, it's as simple as that. Take out Gerrard and Torres in the outfield and there is absolutely nothing there, no creativity at all. Seeing as people are so quick to recall the past, it is no coincidence that since Alonso left we have capitulated. I look at players like Kuyt, Maxi Rodriguez, NGog, Jovanovic, Lucas Leiva, Poulsen, Babel and Konchesky etc. and it pains me to see them on the field of play.

We have youngsters here who are good enough if given the chance, that is what is pissing me off the most. I long for a manager that throws caution to the wind  and believes in the youth. We have potential £30 million pound players here yet they are constantly overlooked.

I agree with Hansen, we have a squad of very average and below average players, I'm not completely blaming Rafa for that, circumstances dictated the purchases to a certain extent. Roy has added below average players to the squad as well and that has resulted in an inflated squad of players who are just not good enough.

I'd really be interested to get into a debate with anyone here who thinks this squad is good enough to qualify for the Champions League, that's the squad remember, not the first team as I feel we have a first team to compete with anyone when fully fit.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #43: Oct 18, 2010 12:34:26 pm
      Average players comparing to which teams? If you're comparing to Man City or even Chelsea, maybe that could be true (but still arguable). Considering to the other 19 teams in PL, I think we have enough players to actually making it to the top 4. Well look at Arsenal for instance. Wenger now have a squad almost made of average players; bar Fabregas, Arshavin, Diaby. But it's how he managed to get the best out of them by playing a formation suited to his players qualities that makes them almost a complete team in PL. You didn't have to be a rocket scientist to guess that Wenger didn't spent over 100 million a year to get his team going. It's his approach towards his players and how to make them move as a team.

The problem for Roy is he has been replacing some of the good players with some crappy ones. How one could imagine losing Mascherano only to get that s**t Poulsen for replacement? It's acceptable that Masch wanted out but being a manager with such a profile, hasn't Roy made any research or scouting on Poulsen? He's just s**t. But Roy himself is a problem. He didn't have the qualities needed to be a Liverpool manager. A great club like us didn't have to scour a manager from clubs lower than us. We should be looking in the stars and search for the brightest if not the greatest. But in dire financial constraint, he's the only option I guess.

The mentality of the lads didn't suggest that they are progressing under him. We were totally dominated during the first half in almost every game we played. We only became alive when everything seems to be lost. Our formation and our gameplay suggest that we couldn't do anything except playing around the opponent's defensive line and putting in crosses hoping someone could lashed in and scored. We lack the penetration power yet alone the pace. We did have enough pace and power in our team but he opted to play a cautious and reserved game and look what it did to us?

Why did we inherited a squad with too many average players? That you should ask Rafa himself?
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #44: Oct 18, 2010 12:34:59 pm
      Let's think outside the box here eh?. It's not about Roy vs Rafa here, it's about a squad of players that are not good enough, it's as simple as that. Take out Gerrard and Torres in the outfield and there is absolutely nothing there, no creativity at all. Seeing as people are so quick to recall the past, it is no coincidence that since Alonso left we have capitulated. I look at players like Kuyt, Maxi Rodriguez, NGog, Jovanovic, Lucas Leiva, Poulsen, Babel and Konchesky etc. and it pains me to see them on the field of play.

We have youngsters here who are good enough if given the chance, that is what is pissing me off the most. I long for a manager that throws caution to the wind  and believes in the youth. We have potential £30 million pound players here yet they are constantly overlooked.

I agree with Hansen, we have a squad of very average and below average players, I'm not completely blaming Rafa for that, circumstances dictated the purchases to a certain extent. Roy has added below average players to the squad as well and that has resulted in an inflated squad of players who are just not good enough.

I'd really be interested to get into a debate with anyone here who thinks this squad is good enough to qualify for the Champions League, that's the squad remember, not the first team as I feel we have a first team to compete with anyone when fully fit.

Joe cole?
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,875 posts | 165 
      Reply #45: Oct 18, 2010 12:38:01 pm
      Roy did inherit some average players, but what has he done though, bought some more average players to go along with them, and let Aquilani go, never tried working on Insua's game, doesn't use promising youngsters like Shelvey!

Quick Reply