Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

What Would You Do?

Read 6217 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: What Would You Do?
      Reply #23: Oct 19, 2010 01:40:57 am
      I'd give Roy an early retirement and a free bus pass.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #24: Oct 19, 2010 01:44:32 am
      No point in straight upgrading players or shipping out 3 pieces of deadwood to bring in 2 first team players.

Add to squad depth first.  Then get the players who aren't first team players to become squad players and then the squad players who aren't good enough for that to become "keep working hard and training well and you'll earn a spot on the bench-type players".

Priorities are (IMO):

1) A first team LB
      2) A versatile, high quality forward and not just 'a backup to Torres' - what I mean is someone who could potentially fit into the setup even if Torres is fit and firing.

edit: The tactics/formation/youth policy aspects have been fairly covered, no point going into much more detail.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #25: Oct 19, 2010 01:45:18 am
      I'd give Roy an early retirement and a free bus pass.

Right now I'd drive the bus that gave him an early retirement.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #26: Oct 19, 2010 02:24:39 am
      The first thing I'd do is fire myself... If I was Hodgson.

The first thing I'd do is bring back Aquilani. Then I'd either play Gerrard with Aquilani and Meireles on each side and have Cole and Jovanovic/Babel up with Torres to make almost a 4-3-3.
      If that didn't work I'd play Gerrard behind Torres in 4-2-3-1 with Cole on the right or 4-1-4-1 with Cole and Gerrard behind Torres.
      I also think its time to start playing Agger and Skrtel together, that should have been done ages ago. Carra has still got a lot to offer but he's lost his pace and Agger and Skrtel need to form a solid partnership.

4-3-3:

Johnson----Skrtel----Agger----Aurelio
      -------------------------------------
      ---Meireles-----Gerrard-----Aquilani---
      -------------------------------------
      ----Cole-----Torres------Jovanovic---

4-2-3-1:

Johnson----Skrtel----Agger----Aurelio
      ---------Aquilani-----Meireles-----------
      ----Cole--------Gerrard--------Jovanovic-
      --------------Torres--------------------

4-1-4-1: Pretty much if we cant get Aquilani back.

----Johnson------Skrtel----Agger----Aurelio-------
      --------------------Lucas----------------------------
      ------Kuyt------Cole----Gerrard------Jovanovic--
      -------------------Torres----------------------------

Bringing back Aquilani would be the main priority, this is what I would do if I had the current squad anyway even if it did cost 2 mil in compensation. If I had cash to splash the only players I would keep out of our current squad would be: Gerrard, Torres, Pepe, Carra, Skrtel, Agger, Aquilani, Meireles, Kuyt, Johnson, Cole and Lucas. Yes Lucas, he is better than Paulson by miles and is still young but most of all he is willing to put up with all the sh*te he gets from everyone and still is putting in decent effort when he gets the bloody chance. He is good back up. Everyone else can whistle dixie.

Out of all that I like the 4-3-3 best. We don't have Alonso or Masch to spread the ball anymore so to me 2 holding midfielders don't really make much sense. We do however have loads of CAM's.

And come to think of it, how much more can you insult a player when you haven't been given a chance at all to prove yourself, you get shipped off on loan and straight away your squad number is given to someone else. I truly believe that Aquilani, Meireles and Gerrard can be an awesome midfield. But would you want to come back if that happened to you and you were on fire for the loan team?... Highly unlikely.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #27: Oct 20, 2010 02:36:14 pm
      Reina is clearly undermining my authority by daring to throw the ball.  Ship him out and use the funds to bring in Kirkland, I never liked the smug pr**k anyway with his number 25 shirt.  In my 35 years of managerial experience, the first choice goalkeeper always wore the #1 shirt.

Agger out because I'm sick of him pretending to be injured and miraculously recovering for international duty.  Use funds to bring in Scott Dann.

Torres out because he was being disrespectful to the vice-captain and first choice centreback for the next six seasons.  After all, no player is bigger than the club, right?  In with Carlton Cole.

Pacheco and Suso along with an additional £3m to fund the purchase of Pedersen to fix our width problem of course.

Ship out that player with a ć at end of his name.  That's not a British letter.

Maxi and Babel out, they're only B team anyway.

Lucas is unnecessary, we've got the world's best DM already at the club.

Clear out all non-British talent from the reserves and bring in Peter Crouch and we're sorted.

Top 4, here we come!!
      Trev
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Reply #28: Oct 20, 2010 02:47:01 pm
      Simple...contact Rafa tell him I cant cope with a real team then walk away ...bloody fast
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,255 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #29: Oct 20, 2010 02:48:37 pm
      If I was Roy, I would not be in this position.

I would not have sold the players he sold, and I would not have bought the players he bought.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #30: Oct 20, 2010 02:49:15 pm
      If I were Roy I would resign
      alliphone
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts | -32 
      Reply #31: Oct 20, 2010 03:08:36 pm
      If I were Roy, before step down, line up as follows :-

Reina
      Glen-Carra-Skrtel-Konchesky
      Cole-Gerrard-Mereiles-Jovanovic
      Babel-Torres
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #32: Oct 20, 2010 03:11:46 pm
      what would I do? first off, call in the Senior players, like every new manager should, ask what the state it is. Get them to call a proper team meeting, get a few team-building exercises on the go. Confidence is key right now.

Tactics / transfer wise

Get rid of Poulsen, Konchesky, Bring back Insua + Aqua. get rid of players like Darby, Spearing. I'm sorry but I just don't think they're gonna make it at this level / age.

Our spine is pretty good if they can gel just need time and the 'outside' players to improve. I'd play

----------------Reina------------------
      Johnson--Carra---Agger--Konchesky
      --------Meireles--Stevie--------------
      Kuyt----------Cole--------------Babel
      ---------------Torres------------------

It's blatantly obvious that Torres needs support, hence Babel's inclusion, but it also allows for an easier change of formation of needed.
      there are still changes I would make such as dropping Konchesky, replacing him with Srktel, replacing Kuyt with Pacheco, moving Cole out to the right wing. Kelly for Carra.
      Lucas for defensive work, but not alongside Gerrard, that partnership does not work
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #33: Oct 20, 2010 03:18:20 pm
      Hi I'm a Mauritian and I'm new on this forum...

I think he should simply change his tactics. The match against Everton was awful. It was as if the 3 behind Torres and Torres were afraid to attack. They should realize that there are other six players behind them! Last time I watched the match Real Madrid vs Malaga: the 3 behind higuain were free to do whatever they wanted; they could switch wings... I know that we do not have Ronaldo, Ozil or Di Maria in our team but there is'nt any style of play in the team. We must not rely on a Torres who does not score to score the goals for us. Some goals should come from the 3 AM also...

That is my line-up

Reina
      Johnson-------------Carragher-------------------Agger/Skrtel*-------------------Aurelio*
                                                       Mereiless/Lucas

Gerrard*

Cole*                                                Kuyt*                                               Jovanovic*
                                                        Torres/Ngog

*Agger is the best defender we have but Hodgson prefers Skrtel.( The Agger/Skrtel partnership is the best)
      *Aurelio is better than Konchesky without a doubt.
      *If Gerrard is situated between (let's say the 3 AM) and the CDM, he will be free to roam all over the pitch.
      *Kuyt should play behind Torres since he is (after Gerrard) the best partner of Torres. If Kuyt play behind Torres he can(try to) score goals since with a 4-2-3-1 the striker cannot score all the goals!
      Cole should play on the right for the moment.
      *jovanovic - for being an attackin left footed player:p(and is a striker)
      *Ngog is our best scorer and should be given a chance...

Sorry for bad English. It is not my mother tongue...

powergerrard
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts |
      Reply #34: Oct 22, 2010 09:11:59 pm
      I would bring in Lee Cattermole....bit of a hot head but is a quality player, play gerrard in the middle with him which would giv stevie licence to get forward......Joe Cole has done F**k all so far and in my opinion is still playing on his reputation....It will be tough to bring in players in January and I wouldnt make any panic buys but Santa Cruz seems a sound investment.....It wasnt too long ago he was scoring 22 pl goals for a mid table side in blackburn altough he is 29.....Too many long balls and not enough service to Torres is the problem! Maybe Stuart Downing (somebody who can get to the byline and get crosses in which is something we havnt had for a long time)....
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #35: Oct 22, 2010 09:22:38 pm
      If I was Roy, I would not be in this position.
      I would not have sold the players he sold, and I would not have bought the players he bought.

Simple.
      Im frightened of him having any transfer money in January if he is still around which I hope he is not.
      28 day countdown.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #36: Oct 22, 2010 09:27:14 pm
                     Reina
      Johnson Skrtel Agger Konchesky

Kuyt Gerrard Meireles Jovanovic

Cole
                   Torres

Instead of sitting off , I would play a high pressure game similar to Rafa, the players are used to it under no circumstances would I have my players retreat, we are Liverpool not Fulham. And no F***ing long ball we have good enough players in the centre of midfield to play football.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #37: Oct 22, 2010 09:44:07 pm
                     Reina
      Johnson Skrtel Agger Konchesky

Kuyt Gerrard Meireles Jovanovic

Cole
                   Torres

Instead of sitting off , I would play a high pressure game similar to Rafa, the players are used to it under no circumstances would I have my players retreat, we are Liverpool not Fulham. And no f**king long ball we have good enough players in the centre of midfield to play football.

I'd do the same, maybe with Kuyt and Jova further forward.  It is just a shame Roy is sticking with his 35 years of tried and tested tactics with 'underdogs' so we're not likely to see it.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #38: Oct 22, 2010 10:09:28 pm
                                                       Reina

Skrtel              Agger
                 Johnson                                                       Aurelio

Lucas
                              Meireles                             Gerrard

Kuyt                                                                       Cole

Torres

I know it's a bit lopsided, but you get the idea.

Positions of Meireles and Gerrard are interchangeable during the match, as are the front 3.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #39: Oct 22, 2010 10:12:12 pm
      3 centre midfielders no way, Kenny, I suppose anything to fit in Lucas :)
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,849 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #40: Oct 22, 2010 10:12:52 pm
      Hard question this one ...call a bus for Roy ( he'll have a pass ) put a cheeky bid in for Coutinho ,bring Aquilani back ,and look for two good full backs who can raid down the flanks AND defend ,Agger and Skertel to be the cb's
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #41: Oct 22, 2010 10:14:29 pm
      3 centre midfielders no way, Kenny, I suppose anything to fit in Lucas :)

;D, nope - I think 433 is the way forwards, and as I said, Meireles and Gerrard interchange, as well as the front 3.

Lucas is there to cover the FB when they attack, and to snap up the bits and pieces - or would you prefer Poulsen? ;)

Also, you'll see I have the 3 CM quite narrow, which provides a solid centre, with the wide players of the front 3, supported by the FB providing width.
      elnino9_Zii
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #42: Oct 22, 2010 10:47:14 pm
      Seeing as Valencia are in huge debt maybe take Banega and Unai Emery

banega cant even get in the 1st team at valencia at the moment.
      and also valencia are sound now financially.. selling villa, silva and marchena for around 70mil def helped ;)
      theres no need for them to sell now.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,951 posts | 5010 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #43: Oct 22, 2010 11:45:09 pm
      What would i do?  Firstly i would pick this team.....
                                                                     Reina
                                                   Kelly      Agger      Skirtl     Aurelio

Gerrard             Meireles

Shelvey
                                                      Maxi                         Cole
                                                                    Torres

Solid at the back, strength, power, speed, Passing ability, good link-up play, also got width with good back up from Kelly and Aurelio, Torres would cum in his jockstrap with the service, Back up on the bench would consist... Jones, Carra, Wilson, Kuyt, Amoo, Pacheco, Ngog.....I'm hoping to F**k Roy don't get to waste any of NESV money in Jan, i would stick to this team for at least the next 6 matches injuries permitted to build some consistency, cohesion, understanding, CONFIDENCE, goals, harmony, a winning mentality, and above all climbing up the table, Are you reading THIS Roy ??
      elnino9_Zii
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #44: Oct 22, 2010 11:55:48 pm
      this question is ridiculous...
      everyone knows if they were the manager then we wouldn't be in this mess.
      cuz we all seem to know what our best starting 11 is. how to deal with the media, that we wouldn't rest our best players after just 8 league game, that reina should not change, the list is endless.
      ;) ha!
      only joking...
      hodgson out!
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #45: Oct 23, 2010 01:34:35 am
      I would prefer this  :-

Reina
                                                   Kelly      Agger      Skirtl     Aurelio

Gerrard             Meireles

Jova
                                                    Johnson                      Babel
                                                                    Torres

I saw some positives in the game against Napoli, Jova is the only one that doesn't fear going forward and take on defenders, from his body language he's trying his best and he linked up well with Babel and hopes he does the same with Torres.

Quick Reply