Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match.

Pepe Reina
      (11.8%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (25%)
      Milan Jovanovich
      (4.4%)
      Jonjo Shelvey
      (57.4%)
      Joe Cole
      (1.5%)

Napoli 0-0 Liverpool: In-game and Post Match Disappointment

Read 44069 times
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Re: Napoli 0-0 Liverpool: In-game and Post Match Disappointment
      Reply #391: Oct 21, 2010 10:55:47 pm
      4 am start to watch the game in Australia :( F***ing tired and grumpy now.

Another poor performance, the game was definatly there to be won. I feel like it was Napoli's game to lose rather then ours to win.

I thought Shelvey looked very good and has massive potential and that Jova looked good also.

I don't understand the Kelly love, he is slow, no ball skills & has no ballplaying or crossing skills. Yes he is good in the tackle but at RB he is a liability .
      elnino9_Zii
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #392: Oct 21, 2010 11:13:21 pm
      a couple of people have been saying to me.
      and i quote ' poulsen had a solid game, maybe we were harsh and he could solve the gap left by masch'

id also like to kick them in the bollox and put on record that napoli were sh*te going forward, slowed the game down at any given opportunity and vary rarely come onto our cm or cb's. itll be back to usual when poulsen has to take on nzonzi and emerton on sunday.
      elnino9_Zii
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #393: Oct 21, 2010 11:15:26 pm

I don't understand the Kelly love, he is slow, no ball skills & has no ballplaying or crossing skills. Yes he is good in the tackle but at RB he is a liability .

if we had a right back that could play there, and hodgson took his dick out of carra for one moment, we might see the lad play, were we all know he will become reliable and outstanding for us at centre half.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #394: Oct 21, 2010 11:19:17 pm
      Getting to the point where i would actually appreciate us getting a win once in a while, lucky to be top of the group!
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #395: Oct 21, 2010 11:22:03 pm
      Boring. Only good thing about the game was that it helped cure my insomnia!
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #396: Oct 21, 2010 11:26:10 pm
      It's getting late now and I've had a few beers, but can someone tell me how many goals we have actually scored so far this season in all competitions. It must be close to a record low.

Judging by the way we were set up to play tonight, I can't see us improving that total by many in the coming weeks........zzzzzzzzzz
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #397: Oct 21, 2010 11:33:06 pm
      It's getting late now and I've had a few beers, but can someone tell me how many goals we have actually scored so far this season in all competitions. It must be close to a record low.

Judging by the way we were set up to play tonight, I can't see us improving that total by many in the coming weeks........zzzzzzzzzz

Including friendlies, we have scored 1 goal a game on average & conceded just under 1 goal a game.   Poor doesn't begin to cover it.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #398: Oct 22, 2010 12:37:10 am
      It's getting really really hard to wake up at 4am and watch a dross performance on a regular basis.

Shelvey did extremely well and definetly deserves more time.

Babel should be shot.
      Mr Bleeds
      • Banned

• 367 posts |
      • Here, have a beer.
      Reply #399: Oct 22, 2010 01:28:10 am
      Wow, I've logged to post my thoughts re the game in a thread which has a sensationalist title to it.

I was going to come on and be a smart ar.se and ask if everyone is still whiging about Roy's starting eleven but I think the thread title has cleverly pushed focus onto 'dissapointment' in an attempt to keep the knives firmly twisted into the manager's back.

A little perspective is need here (I haven't read any others' comments yet), but we're in the Europa league NOT the Champions league. Due to our current standing in the Europa Roy could afford to 'rest' key players and was well within his rights to do so and it paid off IMO. Furthermore we have an important game on the weekend against Rovers and Roy opted to keep his key players fresh, nowt wrong with that. And many people were critical of Rafa for not giving the youngsters a go, well Roy's done that and is still dammed no matter how important the learning curve will be to many of them.

Pragmatics over emotion ;)

Onto the game and I thought our youngsters did well especially Spearing (1st half more), Shelvey and Kelly. N'gog who i'm not a fan of lacked the service Torres does - Roy must be more adventurous with the side here. Shelvely looks a good prospect and ings the ball round well, has great composure in possesion and looks an intelligent player. In fact the first teamers should take not of some of the composure in possesion shown be Spearing and Shelvely especially.

We defended okay, looked ragged at times and Skertel had one of his better games, Konchesky seems out of his depth and the step up in clubs makes him look like a rabbit caught in head lights I'm afraid. Poulsen had a decent game and made few good tackles while retaining possesion. Jovanovic and Babel were BIG dissapointments IMO (both Rafa signings) and didn't help the cumbersome N'gog out enough or get involved in the game more, but that's what we've come to expect from Babel, Jovanovic drifts in and out of the game too much for me although he did play some nice 'through balls' every now and again but I'd expect more from an international. Reina had probably one of his more quietist nights since Roy's been here and the fact that Napoli looked as toothless going forward as we do probably says a lot about that.

Again though our service to the front man is nothing but shocking and Roy still has to sort this out as it's frustrating and predictable to watch. It was good to see Aurelio get a run out hopefully he'll now be challenging Konchesky for the LB positon.

All in all a very proffesional job done be some of our youngsters tonight who can feel happy with their performances, roll on Sunday.  
      « Last Edit: Oct 22, 2010 01:53:06 am by Mr Bleeds »
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #400: Oct 22, 2010 01:34:05 am
      You look at their attacking fire power (aware they didnt put it together on the day) and you look at ours and you can see why we are struggling.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #401: Oct 22, 2010 01:44:53 am
      Wow, I've logged to post my thoughts re the game in a thread which has a sensationalist title to it.

A comedian. Excellent.

In light of recent performances and titles the word 'disappointment' is an enormous improvement.

Napoli were poor. A team we should have beaten.

I remember the Babel chance and that's about it.

You may well have been conditioned to the last 15 games to deal in mediocrity. I haven't. Tonight we weren't utter sh*te, but we were still poor, rigid and uninventive.  Unless changesvare enacted soon more fans, like you, will become accepting of below par performances.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #402: Oct 22, 2010 01:46:24 am

I was going to come on and be a smart ar.se and ask if everyone is still whiging about Roy's starting eleven but I think the thread title has cleverly pushed focus onto 'dissapointment' in an attempt to keep the knives firmly twisted into the manager's back.

A little perspective is need here (I haven't read any others' comments yet), but we're in the Europa league NOT the Champions league. Due to our current standing in the Europa Roy could afford to 'rest' key players and was well within his rights to do so and it paid off IMO. Furthermore we have an important game on the weekend against Rovers and Roy opted to keep his key players fresh, nowt wrong with that. And many people were critical of Rafa for not giving the youngsters a go, well Roy's done that and is still dammed no matter how important the learning curve will be to many of them.

Pragmatics over emotion ;)

Onto the game and I thought our youngsters did well especially Spearing (1st half more), Shelvey and Kelly. N'gog who isn't a fan of mine lack the service Torres does - Roy must be more adventurous with the side here. Shelvely looks a good prospect and ings the ball round well, has great composure in possesion and looks an intelligent player. In fact the first teamers should take not of some of the composure in possesion shown be Spearing and Shelvely especially.

We defended okay, looked ragged at times and Skertel had one of his better games, Konchesky seems out of his depth and the step up in clubs makes him look like a rabbit caught in head lights I'm afraid. Poulsen had a decent game and made few good tackles while retaining possesion. Jovanovic and Babel were BIG dissapointments IMO (both Rafa signings) and didn't help the cumbersome N'gog out enough or get involved in the game more, but that's what we've come to expect from Babel, Jovanovic drifts in and out of the game too much for me although he did play some nice 'through balls' every now and again but I'd expect more from an international. Reina had probably one of his more quietist nights since Roy's been here and the fact that Napoli looked as toothless going forward as we do probably says a lot about that.

Again though our service to the front man is nothing but shocking and Roy still has to sort this out as it's frustrating and predictable to watch. It was good to see Aurelio get a run out hopefully he'll now be challenging Konchesky for the LB positon.

All in all a very proffesional job done be some of our youngsters tonight who can feel happy with their performances, roll on Sunday. 

Wow!

Did you watch the game after having a few disco biscuits mate?

I just fail to see the positivity and does it not bother you one bit that we are playing a "must-win" and "crucial" match against the mighty Blackburn to get out of the drop zone. Oh wait that is Rafa's fault because he left Roy with a squad worthy of 19th place.

Hodgson is so deep in sh*t that he had no other option but to play the youngster's his tried it all and has failed.

I love also how you praise Shelvey and Skrtel and critique Babel and Jovanovic and add (Rafa's signing) well so were the other two.

"Roy must be more adventurous with the side here"

;D@ that can be said to Roy and adventurous in the same sentence.
      Mr Bleeds
      • Banned

• 367 posts |
      • Here, have a beer.
      Reply #403: Oct 22, 2010 01:58:23 am
      A comedian. Excellent.

In light of recent performances and titles the word 'disappointment' is an enormous improvement.

Napoli were poor. A team we should have beaten.

I remember the Babel chance and that's about it.

You may well have been conditioned to the last 15 games to deal in mediocrity. I haven't. Tonight we weren't utter sh*te, but we were still poor, rigid and uninventive.  Unless changesvare enacted soon more fans, like you, will become accepting of below par performances.

I'm positive had that of been Rafa with those players out there you'd have been blowing smoke up his ar.se.

Loose the emotion mate and think a little more, tonights performance and result isn't the end of the world and it's ONLY the Europa, go and have a lie down lad.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #404: Oct 22, 2010 02:04:47 am
      I'm positive had that of been Rafa with those players out there you'd have been blowing smoke up his ar.se.

Loose the emotion mate and think a little more, tonights performance and result isn't the end of the world and it's ONLY the Europa, go and have a lie down lad.

I think the point is that Napoli were there for the taking tonight. I know we had a some youth and fringe players out there, which allowed us to rest for Blackburn, but we weren't hanging on for a draw. We lacked ambition against an average side. Mind you we have done a lot this season
      Mr Bleeds
      • Banned

• 367 posts |
      • Here, have a beer.
      Reply #405: Oct 22, 2010 02:28:26 am

I think the point is that Napoli were there for the taking tonight. I know we had a some youth and fringe players out there, which allowed us to rest for Blackburn, but we weren't hanging on for a draw. We lacked ambition against an average side. Mind you we have done a lot this season

That's fair enough Racer.

On the flip side Napoli could have thought (given our s.hit form) with the changes made to our side and them being the home side we were are team there 'for the taking'.

We cancelled eachother out both sides didn't get it right in the final third but when everythings considered we've come away from a hostile environment fielding our youngsters with a point. Considering the s.hite form we're in; not conceeding a goal would have had to of been our primary objective. Like it or not (I KNOW WE'RE LIVERPOOL) but we must stop leaking goals and start building our confidence and cohesion up, tonights performance was one step forward in the grand scheme of things.

It certainly isn't IMHO all doom and gloom as many would have you believe.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #406: Oct 22, 2010 02:58:06 am
      How relevant will that confidence and cohesion be considering we will see up to 7 changes on Sunday??
      Mr Bleeds
      • Banned

• 367 posts |
      • Here, have a beer.
      Reply #407: Oct 22, 2010 03:10:42 am
      How relevant will that confidence and cohesion be considering we will see up to 7 changes on Sunday??

It should be a morale boost alround.

On the cohesion front, only the defence got to work out on that.

Still it wasn't disasterous now matter how many try to dress it up as if it was.

aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #408: Oct 22, 2010 03:16:44 am
      Mate we had like two shots on goal against a team who played with the intensity of a park team.

I thought we were bad and we just got lucky that they were worse. 
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #409: Oct 22, 2010 03:17:56 am
      Still it wasn't disasterous now matter how many try to dress it up as if it was.

Your right is wasn't disasterous, it was mediocre. Both are unacceptable at Liverpool.
      Mr Bleeds
      • Banned

• 367 posts |
      • Here, have a beer.
      Reply #410: Oct 22, 2010 03:25:48 am
      Your right is wasn't disasterous, it was mediocre. Both are unacceptable at Liverpool.

Did you expect this Liverpool side to come out and thump Napoli 4-0?

I know I didn't, the performance and result given our circumstances on the field isn't as bad as you and others would have people believe.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #411: Oct 22, 2010 03:28:23 am
      Maybe, considering a 'debate' has risen, I may have to flick a cold analytical eye over this game after all. 
      Mr Bleeds
      • Banned

• 367 posts |
      • Here, have a beer.
      Reply #412: Oct 22, 2010 03:30:09 am
      Mate we had like two shots on goal against a team who played with the intensity of a park team.

I thought we were bad and we just got lucky that they were worse.  

We were bad going forward, sorry we ARE bad going forward.

Roy's stated he'll never resign as LFC manager (I wonde why) so it's upto NESV to boot him out and I for one won't loose too much sleep if he is given the flick. But I think people now are so entrenched in their hatred of Roy that they'll stick the knife in at any given opportunity. That's their prerogative mind, but the amount of critisim aimed towards Roy and the team tonight IMO is over the top simply because they can't stand the wise old owl.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #413: Oct 22, 2010 03:36:45 am
      Sorry for not whacking up the poll earlier, fell asleep as soon as the game ended. It's up now, but if you think more players hould be up give me shout in thread - i can't realy remember a lot at the moment.

For the game - boring. Unadventurous. Babel is sh*t.

Quick Reply