Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match.

Pepe Reina
      (11.8%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (25%)
      Milan Jovanovich
      (4.4%)
      Jonjo Shelvey
      (57.4%)
      Joe Cole
      (1.5%)

Napoli 0-0 Liverpool: In-game and Post Match Disappointment

Read 44099 times
      alliphone
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts | -32 
      Re: Napoli 0-0 Liverpool: In-game and Post Match Disappointment
      Reply #414: Oct 22, 2010 03:50:09 am
      We were bad going forward, sorry we ARE bad going forward.

Roy's stated he'll never resign as LFC manager (I wonde why) so it's upto NESV to boot him out and I for one won't loose too much sleep if he is given the flick. But I think people now are so entrenched in their hatred of Roy that they'll stick the knife in at any given opportunity. That's their prerogative mind, but the amount of critisim aimed towards Roy and the team tonight IMO is over the top simply because they can't stand the wise old owl.
      Thought he requested fans to rate him after 10 league games?
      Now 8 games with 6 point, even he'll get maximum points 2 remaining games would be 10 games with 12 points?
      Mr Bleeds
      • Banned

• 367 posts |
      • Here, have a beer.
      Reply #415: Oct 22, 2010 04:05:09 am
      Thought he requested fans to rate him after 10 league games?
      Now 8 games with 6 point, even he'll get maximum points 2 remaining games would be 10 games with 12 points?

I know it's a shocking return.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #416: Oct 22, 2010 05:09:15 am
      Sorry for not whacking up the poll earlier, fell asleep as soon as the game ended. It's up now, but if you think more players hould be up give me shout in thread - i can't realy remember a lot at the moment.

For the game - boring. Unadventurous. Babel is sh*t.
      To be fair, you did well to make it through the game!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #417: Oct 22, 2010 05:17:09 am
      The time wasn't the main reason why i nodded off either! :D
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #418: Oct 22, 2010 07:42:18 am
      The only positive was the fact that Utrecht and Steau drew, which means by some miracle we are the only team in the group to have won a game (can't even remember that game now - seems so long ago)

Taxi for Woy booked for 5pm Sunday.
      I STAN BULL
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | -2 
      Reply #419: Oct 22, 2010 07:52:27 am
      Just watchn the game now. gd old sky+. shelvey and i hate t say it spearin playn ok. shame the others aint. woy must give up ffs. i dnt thnk i have ever seen such a boring liverpool side. woys tactics mean nothing they are sh*t. we should be playing fast expansive football. we are lfc and meant t play better and with more flare. utter bloody sht.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #420: Oct 22, 2010 08:08:13 am
      Did you expect this Liverpool side to come out and thump Napoli 4-0?

I know I didn't, the performance and result given our circumstances on the field isn't as bad as you and others would have people believe.

I appreciate you are trying to be optimistic, and back the manager during tough times.

0-0 in an away Europa Cup match in a week where we play three matches doesn't look bad at all - on paper.

I think the problem people have is the way we performed tactically. Avoiding defeat is all well and good, but were weren't building from the back, we had nothing to offer offensively except one chance for Babel which he blew.

Having seen the way Napoli were playing (worse than us!), I would have liked to see us try to get all the points, to virtually wrap up the group. Instead we saw like for like substitutions, and no change from our two walls of four in front of goal.

It showed a lack of inspiration from the manager, a failure to try to take an opportunity.

It wasn't long ago we were beating far greater sides in Europe than Napoli, I cetainly agree with JD's comment earlier that we shouldn't be accepting mediocrity, or trying to make out a poor performance was anything but that.

Credit to our young midfielders, however, who showed a little spark, but overall the game was dull and utterly uninspiring.
      I STAN BULL
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | -2 
      Reply #421: Oct 22, 2010 08:26:33 am
      Stil watching game and yet again another defnsive sub. R we going t try and win game. No we wnt because of woys negativity. Skirtel is having gd  game. Napoli aint no mugs they r 4th in league i thnk, where r we with these sh*t tactics. yeah the young lads doing ok but it aint the carling cup and we should have a better team than selected.  Sell babel next available time useles fuk.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #422: Oct 22, 2010 08:57:44 am
      All in all a very proffesional job done be some of our youngsters tonight who can feel happy with their performances, roll on Sunday.

Looking at the game, for what it was, it's hard to argue against this statement. Roy, as ever, set up to stop the opposition scoring, (home or away, that's his prime objective), concede possession, let "them" try to break us down and (hopefully) score one of the one or two chances we'll invariably "create" get.

We didn't take any of the two chances but given the prime objective is a clean sheet then: I'm sure Roy will indeed feel a professional job was "done".

The thing is, professional and all as the job was; come Sunday, we'll see different personnel attempt the same "tactic" at home to Blackburn. We'll park the bus at Anfield, hope to keep a clean sheet, hope that we can take one or some of the chance(s) that we'll get the other end. I expect Blackburn to do the same, by the way.

I can understand how some won't have been "disappointed" by last night's result but when push comes to shove; displays like that and (more importantly) tactics like that will ensure we "win" F**k all.

These are just the the type of display that teams who; either wish to consolidate their position within the Premier League or avoid the drop are content with. Is this what we've become: a team and a set of fans which is accepting of mediocrity because "it could have been worse"?

On a personal note: I have no problem in demanding more and better from my team. In my opinion, there's no room for pragmatism (it's not working) - we need something new, something radical; if we're to dodge mediocrity. Can an old dog learn new tricks? I doubt it but I live in hope.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #423: Oct 22, 2010 09:13:39 am
      Still another game we DIDNT win under Roy.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #424: Oct 22, 2010 09:22:13 am
      ...shelvey and i hate t say it spearin playn ok....
      Looked on Sky text this morning (should know better) and they were bitching aboug Shelvey and Spearing, saying they failed to control the midfield. I thought they played very well.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #425: Oct 22, 2010 09:33:05 am
      Looked on Sky text this morning (should know better) and they were bitching aboug Shelvey and Spearing, saying they failed to control the midfield. I thought they played very well.
      TBH Shelvey for me was our saviour last night,he made some vital clearances and seemed to be in the right place at the right time all night.

Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #426: Oct 22, 2010 10:09:42 am
      I am happy enough with the result, we are still top of the group and some of the youngster got a valuable run out in Europe in a very hostile atmosphere.

What does irritate me was the lack of goal scoring chances created AGAIN

Having rested the big guns by F**k Roy you had better get all 3 points Sunday no more of this negative bollox.
      KING ROBBIE 9
      • Forum David Johnson

• 243 posts |
      Reply #427: Oct 22, 2010 10:16:37 am
      did anyone see Babels interview after the game? shitting himself in case some one walked past and heard him f##kin whinging again and stating that he was only playing for himself?..maybe if you put some effort in lad you might actually deserve a place in the team..as for last nights performance you can DO ONE MATE!!
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #428: Oct 22, 2010 10:51:50 am
      Spearing played well in midfield and I noticed the lack of fouls committed by him rather than the usual splatter of fouls committed by Lucas.
      Shelvey played well enough and is a good bet for the future.
      Poulsen had a reasonable game.
      Kelly should be permanent right back, and Johnson moved forward as attacking right midfielder(a la Gareth Bale)
      Kyrgiakos  played very well after coming on for Carragher and it was a pleasure to see the ball going forward from him rather than from side to side as it normally does with Carragher.
      Babel (name should be Bubble- looks good, is empty and likely to disappear at any time)
      Ngog, sorry but the lad has no heart.

Great to see Aurelio back to replace Konchesky who looks out of his depth.
      Skrtel had one of his few good games, but he'd be dangerous if he had a brain.

Hodgson took a gamble and it came off.

Now for the game on Sunday against Fat (I could manage Real Madrid-arf  !!)Sam
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,609 posts | 6930 
      Reply #429: Oct 22, 2010 11:55:10 am
      Skrtel played well, as did Shelvey and Kelly.  Spearing didn't have too bad a game, but I'm fairly sure if he was going to make it at Anfield he would have done so already.

As for Babel.  Same same old story.  I think he will finally disappear in January,  worth it to get his wages off the bill.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #430: Oct 22, 2010 12:06:54 pm
      Was stuck in work last night so had the est commentary on* but was too busy to catch much of the game.  Didn't sound particularly inspiring.  Can't really comment but not happy with just two chances from what I've heard and no goals, again.

*one good piece of news is Davey Fairclough is back commentating.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #431: Oct 22, 2010 12:13:39 pm
      an 0-0 draw away from home in Europe is not a bad result when you are doing well in the league and are at the Nou Camp or the San Siro  in the later rounds of the Champions League .  Going to Napoli in the Europa League when you are 2nd from bottom with the express intention of getting a draw when the team desperately needs a boost is just not good enough.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,729 posts | 6715 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #432: Oct 22, 2010 12:36:11 pm
      Got up at 4am for this, should have stayed in bed, was F***ing boring. The only positive to come out of that is we didn't lose and Shelvey who I was fairly impressed with got a full 90 minutes under his belt.

As for Babel  :mad: :mad: :mad:
      Garett
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 377 posts |
      Reply #433: Oct 22, 2010 12:55:02 pm
      Where was Pacheco???? Injured? not even in the subs. Is he going to start on Sunday? Else if I am him would be very distraughted.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #434: Oct 22, 2010 01:20:40 pm
      Just settling down to watch this. God help me.

WTF has Andy Townsend got on?
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #435: Oct 22, 2010 01:40:25 pm
      I actually took a few positives out the game last night. Jonjo Shelvey looked good last night, without setting the world alight, but its been reported that he wants another chance.....so give it to him. He actually reminds me of a young fabregas. Wenger gave him a shot at a young age plus Jack Wiltshire, so why are we not giving these youngsters the chance to improve by playing in the first team. I,d rather give a chance to Shelvey than have these mundane performances from the likes of Lucas and Poulson week in, week out. In fact from last nights performance I,d rather see Spearing than Lucas and Poulson. Jonjo has definately got somthing to offer, hes young I know but so was fabregas and he got his chance and has never looked back. If we are to groom these young players thay have to be playing with the first team on a more regular basis. Our first 11 are not offering much at the momment so lets get some of these youngsters in who have got some fight in them and have got somthing to prove.

I also thought, not young I know, but Kyrgiakos played far better than Carra last night and I,d love to see him paired up with Agger. Konchesky offered very little but Kelly had an OK game IMO. Babel, well what can I say, very poor but did improve slightly when he moved over to the right hand side, but on the other hand I thought he could of offered more if he was played up[front instead of N,gog, he looked jaded last night. I think I counted Poulson making 4 forward passes last night the rest were sideways and backwards. I still think Jovanovic will play an important part for us once he gets to grip of the pace of the EPL. Skrtle had a solid performance in fact the best i,ve seen him play so far this season. Was also nice to see Aurelio getting some playing time.

But you know all this will come undone pretty soon when we play Blackburn on sunday. They,ll park the bus and nowing Roy he,ll be doing exactly the same. So look out for a very drab, boring negative game........Liverpool - 0  Blackburn - 0.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #436: Oct 22, 2010 02:04:27 pm
      Boring defensive tactics against a side who were there for the taking. We played so deep it was unreal have we stooped to being satified with a GOALESS draw against an avg side anyone remembe rReal Madrid or Barcelona in the CL that used to be our standard under Rafa.
      I didnt think anyone stood out and Shelvey looked like what he is a very good prospect but I cant in all honsety get excited about anyone elses performance.

Quick Reply