Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match.

Pepe Reina
      (11.8%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (25%)
      Milan Jovanovich
      (4.4%)
      Jonjo Shelvey
      (57.4%)
      Joe Cole
      (1.5%)

Napoli 0-0 Liverpool: In-game and Post Match Disappointment

Read 44070 times
      Mr Bleeds
      • Banned

• 367 posts |
      • Here, have a beer.
      Re: Napoli 0-0 Liverpool: In-game and Post Match Disappointment
      Reply #437: Oct 22, 2010 02:18:48 pm
      I actually took a few positives out the game last night. Jonjo Shelvey looked good last night, without setting the world alight, but its been reported that he wants another chance.....so give it to him. He actually reminds me of a young fabregas. Wenger gave him a shot at a young age plus Jack Wiltshire, so why are we not giving these youngsters the chance to improve by playing in the first team. I,d rather give a chance to Shelvey than have these mundane performances from the likes of Lucas and Poulson week in, week out. In fact from last nights performance I,d rather see Spearing than Lucas and Poulson. Jonjo has definately got somthing to offer, hes young I know but so was fabregas and he got his chance and has never looked back. If we are to groom these young players thay have to be playing with the first team on a more regular basis. Our first 11 are not offering much at the momment so lets get some of these youngsters in who have got some fight in them and have got somthing to prove.

I also thought, not young I know, but Kyrgiakos played far better than Carra last night and I,d love to see him paired up with Agger. Konchesky offered very little but Kelly had an OK game IMO. Babel, well what can I say, very poor but did improve slightly when he moved over to the right hand side, but on the other hand I thought he could of offered more if he was played up[front instead of N,gog, he looked jaded last night. I think I counted Poulson making 4 forward passes last night the rest were sideways and backwards. I still think Jovanovic will play an important part for us once he gets to grip of the pace of the EPL. Skrtle had a solid performance in fact the best I,ve seen him play so far this season. Was also nice to see Aurelio getting some playing time.

But you know all this will come undone pretty soon when we play Blackburn on sunday. They,ll park the bus and nowing Roy he,ll be doing exactly the same. So look out for a very drab, boring negative game........Liverpool - 0  Blackburn - 0.

Good post Trebor, agree with most of that.

Looking at him Shelvey should be knocking on the door of our first eleven indeed and soon considering form.
      stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Reply #438: Oct 22, 2010 02:20:12 pm
      The result was ok, performance was poor. The amount of times we lost the ball because of bad control was unbelievable, we gave away a lot of forward play because we cant control the ball which just gave it back to them for them to start building the play. If you cant control the ball and you are at that level , then i fear for you as a player, you dont have the ability to take us foreward. The worst thing was that it was right through the team. NESV have to spend big if we want to get back to where we belong.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,866 posts | 165 
      Reply #439: Oct 22, 2010 02:22:03 pm
      I thought Jonjo had a great game & put a brilliant ball over to Ngog who proceeded to hit the corner flag. As for Babel's miss, the f***in mind boggles, just put your foot through the ball you pillock.
      Mr Bleeds
      • Banned

• 367 posts |
      • Here, have a beer.
      Reply #440: Oct 22, 2010 02:27:00 pm
      I thought Jonjo had a great game & put a brilliant ball over to Ngog who proceeded to hit the corner flag. As for Babel's miss, the f***in mind boggles, just put your foot through the ball you pillock.

Yeah Egg nog's control really lets him down at times, he's quite frustrating to watch, blows way too hot and cold for my liking. Definately a third or even fourth choice calibre striker at a club like LFC IMO. That ball from Shelvey was Alonso esque, who needs Aquilani when we have Shelvey ;D. In all seriousness trebor is right, the lad should be getting more playing time in the first eleven because he definately looks as though he has something about him.
      Willo
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #441: Oct 22, 2010 02:52:54 pm
      4th in Serie A or not, Napoli were there for the taking last night.  Our players got alot of space to receive the ball and turn with not too much pressure on them. Wont be like that against Blackburn or Bolton. 
      Woy should have been alot more adventurious second half and we should have had a real go at them. Cant imagine Manure or Arse settling for a goalless draw against a team of their suspect calibre!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #442: Oct 22, 2010 03:02:19 pm
      I dont get the Jonjo hype he did ok but if you compare him to Gerrard or Owen when they first came into the team he is light years away.
      Difficulty for all young players is getting time in the first team and to be fair bothe Owen and gerrard did get valuable first team playing time. Maybe the fa should impose a ban on the bench being no more than 21 years old.
      thephotoman
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts |
      Reply #443: Oct 22, 2010 03:08:43 pm
      A nil-nil away in Europe has normally been seen as a solid result. I agree in terms of the group it was a solid result. But these are unique times we find ourselves in as far as the club goes.

Struggling in the league, dumped from a cup by bottom tier representatives and showing no cohesion as a playing force. So by looking at performances last night we should be able to make further decisions about who should definitely go in January and who we can look to develop further.

I'm trying to ignore RH for the large part of this post as I expect he'll be gone by then but the danger is any new man coming in cannot stall in wielding the axe against players who have consistently underperformed for the club and team. Some also have become steady players but in my opinion will go no further at Liverpool and should seek alternate clubs for success.

Here is my assessment of last nights players...

Kelly - should be pressed more into the 1st team as RB, if we must keep Johnson then it should be as wide midfield bombing it down the wing
      Spearing - although I like his attitude and development I think his 1st team influence will be limited and we could get a tidy sum for him and he will get more opportunities with another PL club.

Krygiakos - is a back up CD, a good option to rest Carragher for more games if he wants to play on for the next 2yrs.

Konchesky - please sell him. I have nothing good ot say about him.

Babel - underperforms every time. Lethargic and petulant. Sell Sell Sell.

NGog - a bit like Spearing, but until we buy a class striker and develop Pacheco more he will stay. Buy another striker and please sell.

Shelvey - put in a solid performance and I think he will be a very competent team player for the coming years.

Poulsen - time should be limited here as he is clearly out of his depth in the PL.

Ah well......
      I STAN BULL
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | -2 
      Reply #444: Oct 22, 2010 04:13:51 pm

Krygiakos - is a back up CD, a good option to rest Carragher for more games if he wants to play on for the next 2yrs.

NGog - a bit like Spearing, but until we buy a class striker and develop Pacheco more he will stay. Buy another striker and please sell.

I personnaly think dani has pissed woy off cos the lad has real talent and woy the tw*t never picks him. It must be getting on danis tits some what. I hope we sack woy and get a proper manager in who knows how to handle big names and someone who can pick a side.
      conrad
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Reply #445: Oct 22, 2010 04:18:06 pm
      Some images from Naples

CURVA B

Liverpool supporters (in the corner)

Tribuna Posillipo

CURVA A "We Want Win"
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #446: Oct 22, 2010 06:44:58 pm
      So I watched the game today. So-so I guess.

Babel, well World Cup Finalist! Dumb founded I am. I am sure even Baros could have scored from those chances.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #447: Oct 22, 2010 07:04:41 pm

Well the vast majority would disagree and tell you he single handed saved the night.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #448: Oct 22, 2010 07:06:53 pm
      I dont think he is a write off and he looks less than confident and might be still a bit nervous about playing for us. His control looked a bit suspect and i put that down to nerves .Not a world beater but a good squad player.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #449: Oct 22, 2010 07:22:39 pm
      i have enough on my plate one reason for the poverty large familes
      ashuras
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 287 posts |
      Reply #450: Oct 22, 2010 08:04:58 pm
      Well the vast majority would disagree and tell you he single handed saved the night.

Really?..  I will say.. Konchesky?.. sell him please.. too..
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #451: Oct 22, 2010 08:40:15 pm
      Really?..  I will say.. Konchesky?.. sell him please.. too..
      Did he not save the game? You are in a minority if you disagree which is the point I made.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #452: Oct 22, 2010 08:47:56 pm
      Konchesky was sh*te Stuey, he looks what he is an extremely mediocre left back.
      trendy001
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #453: Oct 22, 2010 09:25:53 pm
      Hello everyone! I'm a fan of Naples and I am sorry for the violence suffered by your fans on the day before the game! I want to clarify that they were not only criminals and Napoli fans! I still want to apologize for the bad citizen Neapolitan happened with you who are fans of the fantastic as Napoli fans. You are always welcome ..
      hello from naples ..
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #454: Oct 22, 2010 10:54:07 pm
      Konchesky was sh*te Stuey, he looks what he is an extremely mediocre left back.
      What I am saying buddy is he saved our bacon on the night.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #455: Oct 22, 2010 10:56:15 pm
      He did mate but he performance was sh*te we looked a lot more solid down the left when Aureilo came on
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #456: Oct 22, 2010 11:06:57 pm
        ^    ^
      I'm having that mate.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #457: Oct 22, 2010 11:40:32 pm
      Hello everyone! I'm a fan of Naples and I am sorry for the violence suffered by your fans on the day before the game! I want to clarify that they were not only criminals and Napoli fans! I still want to apologize for the bad citizen Neapolitan happened with you who are fans of the fantastic as Napoli fans. You are always welcome ..
      hello from naples ..

I believe they are just a group of over zealous fans that have resorted to violence. These group of fans exists everywhere and they will resort to violence at every given opportunity to vent their frustration as they could have social problems with themselves. At least, we don't get bottles, coins, cigarette lighters raining on our players during the game, Verbal abuses and taunts from rival fans is pretty acceptable but violence no. Not sure why fans need to resort to violence, a team lose is because the other team is better, simple as that. Fans need to realise, if we expect violence in games, fans will shy away from games and attendance suffers and the club suffers and eventually the game suffers and on match day we could have half empty stadiums and in the long run the club and the game as a whole suffers. Welcome on board Trendy ....

Quick Reply