Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Ashley Young (A.Villa)

Read 70339 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Ashley Young (A.Villa)
      Reply #23: Dec 09, 2010 05:43:48 pm
      Villas hands are fairly tied here, the lad has only 18 months on his contract left.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #24: Dec 09, 2010 06:27:07 pm
      YES PLEASE.break neck speedy winger......
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #25: Dec 09, 2010 06:54:45 pm
      He would be a brilliant signing!  He has many of the qualities we are completely lacking in attack:  blistering pace, dribbling ability, crossing ability, good with both feet, can score goals as well as create them. 
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #26: Dec 09, 2010 06:56:36 pm
      Would love to see him here even though he has been quiet the last few months.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #27: Dec 09, 2010 07:07:32 pm
      Trust Hodgson to be linked with these kind of players!  :f_tongueincheek:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #28: Dec 09, 2010 07:12:32 pm
      Easily better than any of our wide players and at £15M he would be well worth it.

He still has some improvements to make and can be more consistant but he is still young and has proven his quality over the last few seasons in the league.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #29: Dec 09, 2010 07:18:12 pm
      If we leave it till the Summer he will go for even less, remember Ozil went to Real for 12 euro about 10 million because he had only 12 months left so I think you could get Young for about £8 million the same as Michael Owen to Real who also had only 12 months left if you leave it till then.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #30: Dec 09, 2010 07:20:11 pm
      If we leave it till the Summer he will go for even less, remember Ozil went to Real for 12 euro about 10 million because he had only 12 months left so I think you could get Young for about £8 million the same as Michael Owen to Real who also had only 12 months left if you leave it till then.

Aye, or wait another year and get him for free, in the mean time which though, he might have been snapped up!
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #31: Dec 09, 2010 07:22:23 pm
      Not going to happen in January no one is going to pay £15 million in this economic times when they can get him much much cheaper a few months later in the Summer.

The days of clubs blowing money is long gone.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #32: Dec 09, 2010 07:22:43 pm
      We need to get players in now. Quality now that can help us challenge for top four will be worth the extra funds
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #33: Dec 09, 2010 07:24:32 pm
      Villa will be hoping someone bids £15 million in January you can guarantee that especially if Young has made it clear which he seems to have that he is not signing a new contract.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #34: Dec 09, 2010 07:25:26 pm
      I agree I don't think we'll make a move until the summer but at a cheaper price , there will be far more competition for his signature. In the long run if we sign him now for the 12-15m, it'll be worth it, cant see Utd,Chelsea or City wanting him now. IMO

If I remember rightly, Villa bought him in Jan a few years ago. Paid over the odds for him but in the end they were well rewarded. He turned out to be a great player who most PL teams would have in their team.

Take a chance, spend now and reap the rewards.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #35: Dec 09, 2010 07:29:02 pm
      Perhaps Gerrard will do us a favour and except 10m plus Poulsen, I wish.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #36: Dec 09, 2010 07:30:55 pm
      As I said if we bid £15 million Villa will be delighted and will snap our hand off.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #37: Dec 09, 2010 07:36:37 pm
      Not going to happen in January no one is going to pay £15 million in this economic times.
      Doesnt seem to bother NESV, supposedly they are buying a baseball player (dont know his name) for $140 million. And paying him ridiculous wages aswell, I'm sure some of the yanks on here will confirm it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #38: Dec 09, 2010 07:40:26 pm
      I'd prefer it if we bid a bit higher in January to get him rather than wait until the summer where he may be available for less but have more competition for his signature.

We need to get the quality players bought if and when they are availabale and do the deals as quickly as possible a bit like the Miereles deal in the summer.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #39: Dec 09, 2010 07:41:44 pm
      I'm a bit surprised by that as well hopefully they have some money left for us come January, If there is 1 plus side of the Euros fall at the moment as well, it means you'll will get more from the Dollar.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #40: Dec 09, 2010 07:55:42 pm
      Doesnt seem to bother NESV, supposedly they are buying a baseball player (dont know his name) for $140 million. And paying him ridiculous wages aswell, I'm sure some of the yanks on here will confirm it.

You'd be referring to Carl Crawford.  He was a free agent, so there was no "transfer fee" or additional investment in him other than his salary, which is a whopping $142 million over the next 7 years!  This also came a matter of days after they signed Adrian Gonzalez to a 7 year-$154 million dollar deal!  

NESV are prepared to spend to win.... they will do it wisely, but they aren't afraid to invest in the squad.  They are businessmen and they realize that the most marketable squads in the world have two things:  

1.  Marketable players who sell jerseys, tv rights, and tickets
      AND
      2.  The ability to win trophies

We already have a couple of the most marketable footballers on the planet in Nando and Stevie.... let's hope they put us in reach of the second point soon enough :)
      LFChrisLFC
      • Forum Ian St John

• 425 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #41: Dec 09, 2010 07:57:48 pm
      Surely if we don't get him in January, someone else will.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #42: Dec 09, 2010 08:05:49 pm
      You'd be referring to Carl Crawford.  He was a free agent, so there was no "transfer fee" or additional investment in him other than his salary, which is a whopping $142 million over the next 7 years!  This also came a matter of days after they signed Adrian Gonzalez to a 7 year-$154 million dollar deal! 

NESV are prepared to spend to win.... they will do it wisely, but they aren't afraid to invest in the squad.  They are businessmen and they realize that the most marketable squads in the world have two things: 

1.  Marketable players who sell jerseys, tv rights, and tickets
      AND
      2.  The ability to win trophies

We already have a couple of the most marketable footballers on the planet in Nando and Stevie.... let's hope they put us in reach of the second point soon enough :)
      Thanks for clearing that up for me mate. I was a tad bit of the mark :f_tongueincheek:, but still as you said they are willing to spend to be successful. What you've just posted is the evidence of that.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #43: Dec 09, 2010 09:58:38 pm
      Fark Ashley Young is probably the most talented midfielder outside of the big English clubs.

Your not going to lose money by bringing him in for 15 mill.
      Aspi
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts |
      Reply #44: Dec 09, 2010 10:52:58 pm
      This lad tore us apart when villa won at anfield last year.

would be a quality signing, and for 15mil is a steal imo!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,384 posts | 2823 
      Reply #45: Dec 09, 2010 11:49:01 pm
      15 million is not a steal guys. I think villa would accept 12 million. I also like Steven warnock so I would offer 20 million for them both. That would sort out our left back and left winger problems.

Not a bad shout that.

I really think Young's a very good player and got the potential to be even better. And at last we'll have some pace out wide! Something we sorely lack at the moment after from when Johnson pushes forward.

Quick Reply