Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan Athletic -> Aston Villa)

Read 52157 times
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts |
      Re: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan Athletic)
      Reply #529: Jul 25, 2011 10:14:26 am
      VILLA CLOSE ON CHARLES N'ZOGBIA

Aston Villa have resumed talks with Wigan over signing winger Charles N'Zogbia and are close to agreeing a fee, Press Association Sport understands.

Wigan had rejected Villa's bid of £9million for the former Newcastle player.

But the two clubs held further discussions over the weekend and are believed to be not far from reaching a compromise figure of around £9.5million.

New Villa boss Alex McLeish needs a new winger after the departures of Ashley Young and Stewart Downing to Manchester United and Liverpool respectively this summer.

He will take nothing for granted after failing to sign N'Zogbia when Birmingham boss last summer.

But a deal would also suit Wigan as N'Zogbia could leave them for nothing next summer when his current contract runs out, although a transfer now will depend on club owner Dave Whelan giving his seal of approval.

If an agreement is reached, N'Zogbia will hold talks over personal terms in the next 24 hours and undergo a medical before signing what is expected to be a five-year deal.

He would be likely to have to wait to join up with Villa's first-team squad.

McLeish's team are currently on a pre-season tour of Hong Hong and N'Zogbia does not have the required work visa.
      http://www.sportinglife.com/football/transfer_centre/teamtalk/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/07/25/SOCCER_Villa.html
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #530: Jul 25, 2011 10:16:33 am
      Just saying whilst we have the mighty David N'gog they have dzeko or balotelli to bring on added to most likely aguero
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #531: Jul 25, 2011 10:55:47 am
      I know mate, I was just saying because I honestly cant ever recall him playing there, I would honestly have taken downing over him.. I just think he will be more consistant over the season than him.. n'zogbia may be great one week but could be off for a few too.. downing you know what you get

He played LB for Newcastle, at least for the early part of his Newcastle career. He was then involved in a trade with Wigan for Ryan Taylor who also was a full back. I think it was Wigan who moved him to left wing, but he made of played their a few times for Newcastle.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #532: Jul 25, 2011 10:58:59 am
      Gone to Villa for £9.5m.

Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts |
      Reply #533: Jul 25, 2011 07:10:52 pm
      ASTON VILLA SET TO SIGN N'ZOGBIA

Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish is finally set to sign Wigan winger Charles N'Zogbia in a £9.5million deal at the third attempt, Press Association Sport understands.
      http://www.sportinglife.com/football/transfer_centre/teamtalk/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/07/25/SOCCER_Villa_Snap.html

Topic would be closed soon ;)
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Reply #534: Jul 25, 2011 08:24:07 pm
      shame really for that price wouldv'e been an excellent player for us 
      AlfarinIcebreaker
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts |
      Reply #535: Jul 25, 2011 08:36:15 pm
      9,5 M - a steal at that price. Dissapointed that we haven't entered the battle for his signature - IMO he would've been a good player for us. Not to mention that we are short of wingers as it is.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #536: Jul 25, 2011 09:49:55 pm
      Not his biggest fan but at that price? Should really be in on it.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #537: Jul 25, 2011 09:52:37 pm
      Not his biggest fan but at that price? Should really be in on it.
      I don't understand mate, you don't like him as a player but at a reasonable price you'd take him for LFC. A player's either good enough or not good enough to play for us, regardless of the price.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #538: Jul 25, 2011 09:54:44 pm
      I don't understand mate, you don't like him as a player but at a reasonable price you'd take him for LFC. A player's either good enough or not good enough to play for us, regardless of the price.

Where did I say he wasn't good enough? I said I'm not his biggest fan, that's it.

Some rate him like he's a top player, I don't. I think he's a quality player who would do a job here but the price flying around at 15m before? No thanks. 9.5m? That price suits the quality of player.
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #539: Jul 25, 2011 09:59:02 pm
      Where did I say he wasn't good enough? I said I'm not his biggest fan, that's it.

Some rate him like he's a top player, I don't. I think he's a quality player who would do a job here but the price flying around at 15m before? No thanks. 9.5m? That price suits the quality of player.
      we want a top 4 finish though, surely we shouldn't be signing players that we think are substandard?

p.s. I think n'zogbia is quality
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #540: Jul 25, 2011 10:00:43 pm
      Think Villa ended up with the better player to be honest (selling Downing to buy N'Zogbia). If our manager was Roy Hodgson, I'd probably be cutting my wrists right now. But in Kenny I trust. Can't pretend I'm not disappointed though.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #541: Jul 25, 2011 10:11:38 pm
      To clear the record on my thoughts of N'Zogbia. Think he could be a fine squad player here and do a job. When he was talked about for 12-15m? That was too much for me. 9.5m? I think that price fits the quality of player.

I said I wasn't his biggest fan, meaning I don't rate him as highly as Diego or Crouchi. That's all. Not that I don't rate him totally.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #542: Jul 26, 2011 12:05:41 am
      Think for half the cost of Downing he'd be a decent buy, especially with the likes of Kuyt getting no younger but it's all subjective now as I think the deal to Villa is almost done.
      Albi92
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts |
      Reply #543: Jul 26, 2011 02:48:22 pm
      I would definitely sign him up, however there are question marks about his attitude, and he is a greedy player. Maybe Kenny doesn't want him
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #544: Jul 26, 2011 03:02:55 pm
      Anyonbe see the OptaStat on him getting dispossessed more than any other player last year, thought it was interesting. But good player and I'd maybe have been more keen for him to sign now if we didn't have Sterling coming through and Kuyt on form. I'd rather have Downing as to me he is a better crosser of a ball.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #545: Jul 26, 2011 03:29:29 pm
      True.. The world "Stirling" does make this transfer a bit easier to take..  ;D
      parskopite
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Reply #546: Jul 26, 2011 06:30:07 pm
      He isn't good enough
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #547: Jul 26, 2011 07:01:08 pm
      N'zogbia is a match winner who can excel at times but I'd rather have Downing for his consistency and I think overall though not as fast or skilful Downing is the better player.
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #548: Jul 26, 2011 07:12:38 pm
      N'zogbia is a match winner who can excel at times but I'd rather have Downing for his consistency and I think overall though not as fast or skilful Downing is the better player.
      i think when they're both at their absolute best, n'gobia is definitely better

and downing's consistent but then again so is lucas :p
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #549: Jul 26, 2011 07:15:23 pm
      I think when they're both at their absolute best, n'gobia is definitely better

and downing's consistent but then again so is lucas :p

Lucas is also as good as any holding midfielder in our league. Downing compared to Mata, no contest, compared to N'zog though? I'd take Downing and I've said so earlier so I'm not just doing the arl red tinted thing.

I'll have a bet now that Downing has a better combo of goals and assists next season than N'Zog does.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #550: Jul 26, 2011 07:21:01 pm
      I'll have a bet now that Downing has a better combo of goals and assists next season than N'Zog does.

N'Zogbia already had a better combo last season, and he was playing for Wigan who spent most of their campaign in the relegation zone. It wasn't really a fair comparison yet his 'combo' was better; now Downing will play for an even better team, won't be fair at all.
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #551: Jul 26, 2011 08:14:52 pm
      N'Zogbia already had a better combo last season, and he was playing for Wigan who spent most of their campaign in the relegation zone. It wasn't really a fair comparison yet his 'combo' was better; now Downing will play for an even better team, won't be fair at all.

I'll still take the bet because I can see that people over committed against Wigan due to Wigan's need to hold on in games and a lot of their goals came from counter attacks. There are also more players to pick up the slack like Bent at Villa.

This has nothing to do with "fair" you either take the bet or you don't.

Quick Reply