Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Interview with Terry McDermott in Norwegian newspaper - what the ...?

Read 6570 times
      CS-Bergen
      • Forum Markus Babbel
      • Started Topic

• 77 posts |
      Interview with Terry McDermott in Norwegian newspaper - what the ...?
      Oct 31, 2010 12:52:51 pm
      Use google translate on this one: Norwegian to English!
      http://www.vg.no/sport/fotball/engelsk/artikkel.php?artid=10042088

Here are some of his statements:

Roy Hodgson should be given at least two years to prove himself. It's the players that aren't good enough, not the manager. And he will do just fine with proper financing.  :mad:

He feels that Hicks and Gilette did a decent job when owning the club, and doesn't deserve all the negative coverage they got. For instance according to him, they provided the funds to aquire new players. And that is about as much as you can demand from any potential owners of LFC.

What the hell???

CS-Bergen
      • Forum Markus Babbel
      • Started Topic

• 77 posts |
      Re: Interview with Terry McDermott in Norwegian newspaper - what the ...?
      Reply #1: Oct 31, 2010 12:59:32 pm
      Here's the interview after using Google Translate:
      Norwegian to English translation

LEEDS (AP) Terry McDermott (58) think it is sad to see his old club
      under the relegation line in the Premier League, but I think Roy Hodgson is the man who will
      Liverpool get back on track.

- The most important thing now is that the new owners give Roy the support and the money
      he needs, "said McDermott VG Nett.

With 232 games in the Liverpool midfield warrior jersey has Terry McDermott
      still a heart that beats strongly for the club. As an assistant coach at
      Huddersfield Town in League One, he also following closely what is happening on
      Merseyside.

- I know they will fight with Chelsea and Manchester United for the league title
      again. But it is definitely not this year, "said McDermott.

58-year-old spent eight years at Anfield, after he was brought to the club
      by Bob Paisley in 1974. During these years he received 54 online acquaintances, and
      also became the first player ever in the same season won both the
      title as the best player through the PFA, as well as the best player voted by
      British journalists in 1980.

- Hodgson should have at least two years

McDermott has high opinion of Roy Hodgson, and believes he will get along fine in
      manager chair in Liverpool. But only if he gets enough time - and money.

- Roy should get at least two years. At the same time it does not help with time if he does not
      get enough money. It is money that is going to be about, "he said.

AP Debate: Liverpool fans are discussing the window in January 2011. Join here.

For McDermott's clear that if the club will compete again, so it must
      done something with the squad.

- As of today, not the players good enough. And when it does not help what the manager
      do, "said McDermott.

- Hicks and Gillett did what they could

To get good enough players in place, which it finances. The hope McDermott
      that Liverpool's new owners, New England Sports Ventures, will help with Hodgson.

- It is important that Roy gets the same support that Rafael Benitez had the
      previous owners, "he said.
      Liverpool legend believes the controversial former owners of Liverpool, Tom Hicks
      and George Gillett do not deserve all the harsh review they have received.

VG LIVE: Villa-Birmingham at. 13
      VG LIVE: Newcastle-Sunderland at. 14.30

- They did a good enough job, they. As owners, it is not much to do,
      you can make money for player transfers, and so did the course. When it then
      later turns out that players are not good enough, there is not much owners can
      do, "said McDermott.

- I think that if Hodgson get good financial support, he will know what he
      will invest in players. He is a good manager, he has proven both
      Fulham and in Milan, he continued.

- So you think he is right man for Liverpool?

- Yes, I think. But things should calm down. All the fuss that's been around
      club in the series beginning has certainly been reflected.

- Torres and Gerrard should be

McDermott believes Hodgson will dig deep into your wallet when the transfer window opens
      again.

- Roy knows what he's doing. It would surprise me greatly if he does not buy into the two-
      three players in January. And when it is not enough that the owners give him one million 7-8
      sterling (approximately 75 million), but more in the order of 30 million
      pounds (750 million). Then the right players come in for
      Liverpool, "he said.

Liverpool have not won the league championship in 20 years, and if they will succeed
      it again, a couple of players already in the stable for every
      price will be.

- We have Steven Gerrard, who I think is by far the best player in the
      Premier League. In addition, Fernando Torres, very, very important. Although
      he has not shown such good form lately, and his body language shows that he
      probably rather not be on the pitch, I think he will come back.
      These two, along with three new players, I think Liverpool will bring up the
      fight for titles again.
      Nissesixx
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      • Liverpool has nothing to do with Texas
      Reply #2: Oct 31, 2010 01:03:14 pm
      Anyone who believes H&G did a good job should get a cap in they're arse
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #3: Oct 31, 2010 01:09:40 pm
      We can't afford the two years of RH that McDermott is advocating, look what he's done in a few short months.
      Nissesixx
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      • Liverpool has nothing to do with Texas
      Reply #4: Oct 31, 2010 01:21:58 pm
      We can't afford the two years of RH that McDermott is advocating, look what he's done in a few short months.

the mere thought is too frightening to comprehend...
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #5: Oct 31, 2010 01:30:16 pm
      Seriously!! Our ex players need to stop talking now!
      The yanks did a good enough job!!!! Is he suffering from dementia?, or has he sustained some kind of head injury?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #6: Oct 31, 2010 01:31:38 pm
      Obviously Terry has lost his marbles.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #7: Oct 31, 2010 01:32:53 pm
      Seriously!! Our ex players need to stop talking now!
      The yanks did a good enough job!!!! Is he suffering from dementia?, or has he sustained some kind of head injury?
      He has got a far away look in his mince pies in the pic.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #8: Oct 31, 2010 01:36:36 pm
      The tea lady at Malmo Sweden ( Hodgsons old club) does smuggling runs over the border into Norway. It was on one of these runs that she bumped into Terry Mac rolling a spliff.
      (Terry had been sent through the post a block of Red Leb from Roy Hodgson as Hodgson a few years earlier had sold a duff Morris Minor to Terry Mac)
      She slipped Terry fifty euros and asked him if he would put some spin about Woy into the Norwegian media.
      Terry agreed.
      Thats how it all came about.

Did you know an interesting fact?
      Hodgson is yet to win a trophy outside of Scandinavia and apart from winning the Danish League and Cup in 2001, he has not managed a team to a trophy since 1989.
      Twenty one years.

Vot a vinner our multi lingual Feuhrer is.

He has got a far away look in his mince pies in the pic.

It all fits Stu. ;D
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #9: Oct 31, 2010 01:42:39 pm
      I'm surprised he wasn't holding a copy of the sh*t rag in that pic as well!! Really endear himself to the fans then.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #10: Oct 31, 2010 01:43:48 pm
      Ala David Icke this one. The end is nigh :lmao:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #11: Oct 31, 2010 01:45:53 pm
      Poor Tel, his finger ain't exactly on the pulse. Still one of my heroes tho'.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #12: Oct 31, 2010 09:33:55 pm
      Clearly lost it methinks  :o
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #13: Oct 31, 2010 09:35:31 pm
      amazing the general level of ignorance that exists...........
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #14: Oct 31, 2010 09:44:11 pm
      Can someone please post a quote from any ex legend (which Terry is ) that actually backed Rafa?. Coz seems to me anyone who was involved in the club seems to slag him off coincidence?
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #15: Oct 31, 2010 09:45:53 pm
      Can someone please post a quote from any ex legend (which Terry is ) that actually backed Rafa?. Coz seems to me anyone who was involved in the club seems to slag him off coincidence?

Kenny backed him up plenty.  And Rushie.  Coincidence?
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #16: Oct 31, 2010 09:46:52 pm
      Any quotes?
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #17: Oct 31, 2010 09:48:33 pm

Maybe I'll find some, but there are plenty out there.  Rafa is a legend (56% win ratio in the prem).
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #18: Oct 31, 2010 09:50:25 pm
      F**k off...
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #19: Oct 31, 2010 10:06:43 pm

* YAWN
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #20: Oct 31, 2010 10:09:27 pm
      Terry Mc (LFC Legend )Someone should send him copies of the Pontemkin League Documetary Series.
      -----^-- siding with H&G sad times.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #21: Oct 31, 2010 10:19:49 pm

Former players Kenny Dalglish, Alan Hansen, Mark Lawrenson and Ian Rush have all come out in support of Benitez in the aftermath of Hicks' frank admission.

Dalglish told the Liverpool Echo that Benitez 'did not deserve to be hanged' for his public fallout with the American's in November and urged fans to show their support for the manager.

He said: "When Rafa was flying, winning the Champions League, you would not need support - you get that automatically, don't you?

"But when it's not going so well, that's when he really needs his allies to get round about him, stand beside him and help him. Because that's the least he deserves. He deserves the help of a lot of people because he's brought a lot of happiness to an awful lot of people here.

"Over the past couple of months things have not been as good as we hoped they would be. But this is when they need to stand up and be counted and get shoulder to shoulder with their man - and their man's Rafa - and stand beside him. He needs it - he needs the help, he needs the confidence in himself. Support is the least he deserves for what he's done for this football club. He's moved lock, stock and barrel over here, which is easier said than done. Rafa has integrated into the Liverpool way of things. And apart from the outburst last November, he's conducted himself admirably. He's had one blemish - but that shouldn't hang him.

"People have got to be more responsible about what they say publicly. What you say behind closed doors isn't really that important. I don't know whether there is a breakdown in communications or not and as Tom Hicks said, everything's been resolved now. Well I think it might have been resolved - but coming out and saying they spoke to Jürgen Klinsmann is I think, in one way commendable, because it indicates maybe the guy's honesty if that's why he's done it. But the other side of the coin is that they just don't need it.

"Rafa doesn't need it; the players don't need the uncertainty and certainly the supporters don't need it. And after the fans showed their support for Rafa the last time I would not be surprised if there was another show of support for the man at the game against Luton.

"I think fans will be very disappointed and frustrated. I don't think they have ever had this before. When I was there you discussed it in private and that was it - it was finished. I think Rafa's reputation was reflected in the support the punters gave him.

"Rick Parry has been there and very highly thought of as an administrator on that side and that's no disrespect - everybody needs a good administrator and if you get one then you are lucky. But Tom Hicks and George Gillett, they are the ones that are new to the supporters. They are the ones the supporters can relate to least of all. So those two have got to have a look and say 'What PR can we do? What are we going to do to get back in favour with the supporters?'

"Because at the moment, as this comes out, I don't think they will exactly be flavour of the month or the favourite people at the football club."

In his column in the Echo, Anfield goal scoring legend Ian Rush added: "Now people are going to say Liverpool are a laughing stock. In many ways, you can understand that because this is not the way Liverpool normally do things.

"The tradition of the club - and the very thing that has made them so hugely respected - is to do everything in-house. Not out in the open like this.

"Rafa's situation is similar to the one that Jose Mourinho found himself in during his latter days at Chelsea when there was speculation in the papers for weeks on end that he would lose his job.

"The fans might not like it, and understandably so, but the fact is that the owners of the club dictate what goes on.

"Rafa can survive by winning games, but the fact that the owners were looking for a potential replacement means things don't look too good at the moment.

"I know Jürgen well and I think he will do a fantastic job at Bayern Munich because he is a born winner who the players will have nothing but respect for. But as far as Europe is concerned, Benitez is the best. No one knows more than him. Look at his record with Valencia. Look at the way he's taken Liverpool to two Champions League finals.

"You only have to look at what he has achieved in the game to realise what a good manager he is."

Meanwhile, Alan Hansen says that Hicks' comments have undermined Benitez.

"I haven't got a clue why he has come out and said this," said the Scot.

"Maybe the story was going to come out and he thought he'd be better off making a statement first."

" Whichever way you look at it, though, these events cannot do anything but undermine manager Rafael Benitez.

"His position is not untenable, but for one of the owners to come out and publicly say he had talks with the man who was heavily linked with Benitez's job - well, it puts even more pressure on the Spaniard.

"Insurance policy or whatever Hicks wants to call it, the fact is he met Klinsmann and offered him the job if Benitez went, which is remarkable."

His former central defensive partner Mark Lawrenson agrees and says that he would not be surprised if Benitez looked for a new job.

"It is a strange thing to do. You could have spoken to Klinsmann through a third party and said, 'If this happens, would you be interested?' - that is all you need to say.

"It is not dissimilar to what happened to Martin Jol at Tottenham. If you're saying, 'We've looked around to try to find someone to replace you just in case', he might just think, 'I'll look for a little something I can go into just in case'.

"I think all the things that were promised when they took over seemed fantastic but now there are all sorts of problems. The plans for the stadium were revised. Revised to what? The fans would say cheerio to the Americans and welcome in the guys from Dubai.

"Although they are not playing well the majority of fans are behind Benitez. They know how difficult it is to find a good manager, as you can see with the farce at Newcastle."

That good enough for you ? ;D

gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #22: Oct 31, 2010 10:45:35 pm
      Ah the Jürgen saga, nothing there that backs his signings or the amount he spent. I am serious would love to see the legends backing rafa but on this point they don't seem to be. As for the point you quoted redblood I agree it was bang out of order for the owners to speak with Jürgen when rafa still in post just the same as if our owners had spoken to Frank why Roy here.

Quick Reply