Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Pepe Reina
      (13.5%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (6.3%)
      Sotirios Kyrgiakos
      (42.1%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (34.9%)
      Raul Meireles
      (3.2%)

Bolton 0-1 Liverpool: In-game & post-match aftermath

Read 56520 times
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Re: Bolton 0-1 Liverpool: In-game & post-match aftermath
      Reply #736: Nov 01, 2010 04:01:30 am
      The saving grace about playing up front is that you can do nothing for 89 minutes and then pop up in the right place at the right time and score the winning goal. That describes Maxi's performance for me.

I thought the big Greek and Skrtel were our best players, and probably also Reina. Some of those shots at goal he hung onto could easily have rebounded into Bolton players feet for an easy tap in, but he held onto everything. The big Greek for me MOM because he did give Davies hell, and almost conceded a pen when he shoved him in the back, which could have ruined a great overall performance. But he had to play tough, and he did it well.

Once again we only looked decent when Gerrard came deeper, after NGOG came on. The form of Cole is disappointing, especially notable was his lack of understanding on several occasions with Torres. We desperately need a strike partner for Torres, so we can play Gerrard in the middle.

Lucas played for me a safe game, barely gave the ball away and within his abilities played to his best. It should not mask the fact that we need a better midfielder to partner Gerrard in the middle, and I would like to see us buy a strike partner for Torres, and a midfield partner for Gerrard in January.  60 million to be invested please.

red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #737: Nov 01, 2010 04:07:13 am
      Well it was a sort of a performance that was neither over the moon nor outright damned.I am happy that we won and we look like improving on the away front too.We were the better team and with a confident Torres we should have scored more.Lucas was my MOTM and Gerrard was the worst red player on the pitch. 
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #738: Nov 01, 2010 04:44:16 am
      Honest question. What do we think spurred the team on in the last 5 minutes of the game and to the win?

1) The manager sitting on the bench, head in hand and rubbing his face
      2) The travelling fans who sang at the top of their voice

I've said it before and I stick by it. Short of a full "confession" in a press conference. Detailing every shitty thing that went on behind closed doors, then leaping out of that conference grabbing a Liverpool flag, run over to Old Trafford, impale Ferguson with said flag, decapitate him, stick his head to the Shankly gates then take a celebatory sh*t on the centre circle of Woodison and shouting "we're gonna win the league". Roy is completely lost in my books.

And thusly my opinion of him is based on that. But in the last 2 games we've won there have been two dominant factors. The ownership situation is over, people can go support the team without a guilty conscience about putting money in the pocket of Hicks & Gillett and an overall better spirit and optimism (well to a point) with the fans. With Gerry Mardsen starting us off before the game against Blackburn and now against Bolton the 12th man was behind the team the entire game and even through my TV here in the middle of the artic ocean felt the overwhelming support coming from the fans.

Do we think that didn't have a major affect on the team? And maybe not the manager whose only tactical change was forced upon him after a hamstring injury.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #739: Nov 01, 2010 05:23:20 am
      Two wins in a row, does this count as a run?
      we must make it three wins in a row.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #740: Nov 01, 2010 05:44:36 am
      We were sh*te but we've been sh*te all season and not taken 3 points each game so i'll take it.

Need to build on this.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 760 posts | 38 
      Reply #741: Nov 01, 2010 07:58:50 am
      It was notable that Sammy Lee was  jumping around on the touchline for long periods of the match,and Roy was sat there playing with his face.Makes me wonder wether he may have heard something about his future?.
          Got to about seventy minutes and i thought it had draw written all over it,really happy with the three points but bloody hell it was battle.
      Alicus
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 981 posts | 14 
      Reply #742: Nov 01, 2010 08:02:03 am
      we must make it three wins in a row.

No, we must win with more than one goal advantage.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #743: Nov 01, 2010 08:20:38 am
      Two wins in a row, does this count as a run?
      It only counts as a run if you are playing cricket,seeing as we have not hit any fours or sixes this season I would say we are not playing cricket.
      jack
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 298 posts |
      Reply #744: Nov 01, 2010 08:30:52 am
      That atmosphere was unreal yesterday.
      RedHon
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 143 posts |
      Reply #745: Nov 01, 2010 08:54:59 am
      Though a win, which gave us some breathing space ahead, the performance thus far is still poor and if this continues, I fear we'll be beaten badly by Chelsea. It's utterly negative playing the ball sideways and backwards most of the time yesterday. Gerrard is not himself and playing to his best position (CM) and Torres, though slightly better, is not getting enough supply. Cole is not firing. With due respect, Carra is really lost his speed. I think he should be playing as a sub. Almost every players back is facing the opposition. Sigh. >:( :( >:(
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #746: Nov 01, 2010 09:36:18 am
      What was the Maxi Rodriguez song we were singing after the goal  to the heartbeat theme song?????    ;D :laugh:

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez runs down the wing for me. Da da da da etc, then just keep repeating it over and over.

Soto was a rock again, MoTM for me.
      Was a little disappointed to not see him repay the favour from last week after Maxi scored though...

Monday morning laughter is a good way to start the week.

I thought we were poor for most of the game with no width, playing that formation relies on Carra and konchesky getting forward and it just doesnt happen enough.

That aside the 2 minutes of ectasy at the end made the drive home all the sweeter
      « Last Edit: Nov 01, 2010 10:08:34 am by Venison 86 »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #747: Nov 01, 2010 10:07:51 am
      That atmosphere was unreal yesterday.

I thought it was good.  Wasn't outstanding.  But it certainly finished on a high note. Great for us all to be leaving the ground in such good voice.

It's been a while.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #748: Nov 01, 2010 10:11:54 am
      I thought it was good.  Wasn't outstanding.  But it certainly finished on a high note. Great for us all to be leaving the ground in such good voice.

It's been a while.

Aye, awful performance but we got the win, we lifted the roof off when Maxi scored, I also got Elmanders signature, pictures with Jussi Jaaskelainen and Paul Robinson and then Roy signed my programme...good day all around :)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #749: Nov 01, 2010 10:12:47 am
      Honest question. What do we think spurred the team on in the last 5 minutes of the game and to the win?

1) The manager sitting on the bench, head in hand and rubbing his face
      2) The travelling fans who sang at the top of their voice

I've said it before and I stick by it. Short of a full "confession" in a press conference. Detailing every shitty thing that went on behind closed doors, then leaping out of that conference grabbing a Liverpool flag, run over to Old Trafford, impale Ferguson with said flag, decapitate him, stick his head to the Shankly gates then take a celebatory sh*t on the centre circle of Woodison and shouting "we're gonna win the league". Roy is completely lost in my books.

And thusly my opinion of him is based on that. But in the last 2 games we've won there have been two dominant factors. The ownership situation is over, people can go support the team without a guilty conscience about putting money in the pocket of Hicks & Gillett and an overall better spirit and optimism (well to a point) with the fans. With Gerry Mardsen starting us off before the game against Blackburn and now against Bolton the 12th man was behind the team the entire game and even through my TV here in the middle of the artic ocean felt the overwhelming support coming from the fans.

Do we think that didn't have a major affect on the team? And maybe not the manager whose only tactical change was forced upon him after a hamstring injury.

I think the points you raise are exceptionally valid.  There is clearly no division now amongst the fans - we are all back to being 100% focussed on the football. 

Blackburn was a moderately acceptable performance.  Yesterday was not.  After 20 minutes we were all singing 'Attack, Attack' which sums up how it was going.

3 points is what we went there for and fair play for a piece of individual brilliance from Torres which effectively won us all three points.

But if we continue to play like we did yesterday then we're going to be handed some serious wallopings in the next few games.

Hodgson's tactics of playing without using wide men - using Carragher at right back and persisting with an average left back is not going to work.

Also, I'm really surprised that the MOTM poll isn't closer between Kyrgiakos and Skrtel.  I didn't think there was much to pick between them.

Skrtel is one player who is really benefitting from a regular place in the side and was my MOTM.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #750: Nov 01, 2010 11:04:27 am

A lot of us must sound like him then, because that seems to be the general concensus in this thread.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #751: Nov 01, 2010 11:09:35 am
      If Torres had put away his two chances then it probably would have felt like a decent performance as it was we could have easily lost 1-0 so it leaves us with an uneasy feeling about the victory. It got a lot better once the substition was made and Torres could actually see a Red shirt near by.
      Still think we are a much better set of players than Roy or his buddy media make us out to be and it is his tactics/man management skills that are the problem.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #752: Nov 01, 2010 11:20:10 am
      The big difference was when Ngog came on & made it 2 up front.
      Clearly he has to play with 2 all of the time.
      But we know he wont
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #753: Nov 01, 2010 11:21:31 am
      If Torres had put away his two chances then it probably would have felt like a decent performance as it was we could have easily lost 1-0 so it leaves us with an uneasy feeling about the victory.

Disagree. You can look at the performance aside from the result. Arsenal also won 1-0 with a goal in the last five minutes, but their performance was much better than ours. As you said, we could easily have lost. It was a bad performance.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #754: Nov 01, 2010 11:23:17 am
      If Torres had put away his two chances then it probably would have felt like a decent performance as it was we could have easily lost 1-0 so it leaves us with an uneasy feeling about the victory. It got a lot better once the substition was made and Torres could actually see a Red shirt near by.
      Still think we are a much better set of players than Roy or his buddy media make us out to be and it is his tactics/man management skills that are the problem.

But then you could say 'what if' Elmander put away his 2 clear cut chances.  3-0 wins can happen when sides play poorly as well.  Regardless of result, I can't say that was a goid performance.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #755: Nov 01, 2010 11:31:49 am
      It was notable that Sammy Lee was  jumping around on the touchline for long periods of the match,and Roy was sat there playing with his face.Makes me wonder whether he may have heard something about his future?
          Got to about seventy minutes and i thought it had draw written all over it,really happy with the three points but bloody hell it was battle.
      Let's hope he's got the message loud and clear.
      Flipmode
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 61 posts |
      Reply #756: Nov 01, 2010 11:52:35 am
      The important thing at this point is we got the 3 points we didn't deserve!!!!

we're climbing the table. Spurs and Man City both drop points and to be honest those are the clubs we're competing with for 4th place this season. If we get 4th this season, it will be like winning the league. So Good w/e all round except it was Scum that beat Spurs.

However, what is apparent is that we still have loads of work to do. The tactics are all wrong.
      The body language of the players is just not there. The confidence is low and above all we're playing like a "small" club happy with coming away with a draw.

When Ngog came on we looked like a better team going forward. I believe we should be playing 442 and we should be playing gerrard in central MF giving him the license to burst through and join up with the attack and not play him behind Torres as if he plays there he gets sucked back in MF as there's no-one there (alonso -boy do we miss him) to thread the balls up to them and Torres gets left there by himself .

redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #757: Nov 01, 2010 12:15:18 pm
      Disagree. You can look at the performance aside from the result. Arsenal also won 1-0 with a goal in the last five minutes, but their performance was much better than ours. As you said, we could easily have lost. It was a bad performance.
      Got to agree with the quote above.  My mate and his seven year old are season ticket holders at the emirates, and couldn't go on Saturday, for the first time in  2 years, so he offered me the tickets.  I took my 7 year old boy for the experiance and he likes fabregas.  It was surreal, because the football they played was fluid attacking football and good to watch.  it was a very one sided game, but the atmosphere was total sh*t and they only scraped a win despite their dominence. It's a bit strange watching a game when you couldn't care less who wins.  whereas we played pretty sh*te yesterday, but as usual the atmosphere from our fans was immense and it seemed to carry the team over the line.  We have won a couple and drawn a few games while playing quite negative football.  Our best game was easily against blackburn for the first 70 mins whwre we went for it.  we need to adopt that attitude.  we are not a good team when we adopt negative tactics.
      jack_lfc
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts |
      Reply #758: Nov 01, 2010 12:21:12 pm
      The big difference was when Ngog came on & made it 2 up front.
      Clearly he has to play with 2 all of the time.
      But we know he wont
      we played with 2 strikers against Man City

Quick Reply