Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Pepe Reina
      (13.5%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (6.3%)
      Sotirios Kyrgiakos
      (42.1%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (34.9%)
      Raul Meireles
      (3.2%)

Bolton 0-1 Liverpool: In-game & post-match aftermath

Read 56909 times
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Re: Bolton 0-1 Liverpool: In-game & post-match aftermath
      Reply #667: Oct 31, 2010 07:00:49 pm
      Fair play to our fans though- i could hear them all the way through!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #668: Oct 31, 2010 07:01:23 pm
       A win is a win is a win plus 3 points and thank god we got them,though we were not convincing I will take the points and the win after the lousy season we have had so far.There is a rumour doing the rounds that they had to put ROY in a straight jacket at the full time whistle,it seems he went delirious with not being used to winning away from home.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #669: Oct 31, 2010 07:01:50 pm
      F**k Torres he has failed every pass.
      Oops
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #670: Oct 31, 2010 07:04:18 pm
      Yep!And we need "piles" more effort against chelski.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #671: Oct 31, 2010 07:07:15 pm
      MOTM has to be the goal scorer. Respect Lucas, Sotis, Ngog and Carragher
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #672: Oct 31, 2010 07:11:26 pm
      the torres assist was beautiful the goal from maxi saved us, should of perhaps done more, david ngog is rubbish is heart and soul ain't in the team gets bulllied all time shoved off ball, and never makes a run for it the lazy git, always losing possesion arrr rant over ;D.
      Just have to dissagree on this occasion re Ngog.Personally I thought he made quite a difference today,unlike some of his recent contributions.
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #673: Oct 31, 2010 07:12:06 pm
      Maxi or Lucas were outstanding for me.

Skrtel was quality too.

Gerrard went missing and felt like he had given up at large parts of it.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #674: Oct 31, 2010 07:20:12 pm
      Not going to lie, didn't expect us to get 3 points from there.

Therefore Il not even bother criticising the performance, 3 points at Bolton is decent considering they have been palying well and we have been playing dire.

Soto was a rock again, MoTM for me.
      Was a little dissapointed to not see him repay the favour from last week after Maxi scored though...
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #675: Oct 31, 2010 07:21:10 pm
      It never ceases to amaze me with the myriad of ways you manage to circumvent the filth filter.

I commend you sir.

I amaze myself at times ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #676: Oct 31, 2010 07:26:33 pm
      Have to wait for the highlights to see how we played but good to get the three points.

The table is looking a good bit better than it did a couple of week ago.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #677: Oct 31, 2010 07:32:45 pm
      Pleased with the performance knowing it was a difficult away game (scums only got a draw there). In the end it's a difficult win, but a deserved and very important one. Soto MOTM once again, Nando's assist was class although his game wasn't the best at all.
        Hope those two wins have grown lads confidence and they can now go on .
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #678: Oct 31, 2010 07:32:56 pm
      only one wrong pass from Lucas today.Keep it up Lucas
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #679: Oct 31, 2010 07:39:33 pm
      Really wish we would have won this comfortably, but nope we have to grind it out and win by the skin of our teeth. A win is a win, but tactical (throws up)
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #680: Oct 31, 2010 07:41:39 pm
      Another poor performance in what you could call a real dire game. Lucas MOTM for me and should now keep his place but alongside Gerrard. The Torres + Gerrard partnership is dead for me IMO. Torres was poor for most of the match untill N,gog made an appearance to help him out (does that tell you anything Roy). When we reverted to a more 4 4 2 formation the performance picked up. Another good performance from Soto. I dont know what Konchesky was doing but it was,nt football IMO. Hey its 3 points that puts us into a more respectible position in the table.

Oh and by the way lets sell Torres for 50 million and buy 2 decent strikers who actually look like scoring goals. I think we had the best from him in his first season. Does,nt look like he wants to be here.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #681: Oct 31, 2010 07:44:03 pm
      3 points grateful for them big time.(despite the mediocre performance)
      Stevie?Just did'nt seem up for the battle today.MOM for me?Lucas just nicked it from Sotis.He Sotis is a bit scary in the box (defending) could easily have given a couple of pens with a different ref.Them shoulder to shoulders "Phew".
      So upwards and onwards.Big fear now is will Roy stick poulshit in against Chelsea to try and put up barriers and defend.If so I really feel a pasting comming on.But for now lets enjoy this victory.
      A-BoY
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      • Born As a RED, Live As a RED, Die As a RED
      Reply #682: Oct 31, 2010 07:48:25 pm
      I was praying to see a Liverpool defeat at 1st... but then it would be harder to climb up the table next week... so 3 points will do for now, but to be honest, the manner we got the win today is seriously not good enough... and having Chelsea in mind for next week, i think Roy better start packing his diapers.
      elnino9_Zii
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #683: Oct 31, 2010 07:51:59 pm
      we won whislt we were sh*t... whats that a sign of?? ;)

we were still poor.. going forward were nothing. fact.
      really cant wait for nando to turn this around.
      in all fairness i think hodgson was 5 mins away from the sack.
      but F**k it ... we won! 3 points. only 3 behind tottenham now... bring on chelsea.....

maxii, maxiii rodriguez runs down the wing for me... DERDERDERDERDER. i think he had his best game for a while.
      lucas was OUTSTANDING. our midfield is so much better without poulsen. skrtel and the greek were brilliant. really hope its skrtel and agger for the next few years, really think them two together would give us something.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #684: Oct 31, 2010 07:56:34 pm
      Somehow, we could be playing Swansea United, and on our current form I still wouldn't be confident. The fact that Chelsea are the one team that are well and truly flying in the league simply adds another additional dimension of trepidation. But when there's life they say...
      Glad you said 'United' because right now, Swansea City would give most teams a run for their money.
      skunkburner
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 138 posts |
      Reply #685: Oct 31, 2010 07:57:47 pm
      maxi, lucas, skrtel, pepe, soto were all solid today.
      must say we looked so much better after Ngog came on, torres defo needs support at the moment.
      Up the football league we go.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #686: Oct 31, 2010 07:59:13 pm
      So the concensus seems to be will not get any better with this manager in charge. I wonder how many years combined support we all have so If you are listening John Henry get shut of him so we can move forward.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #687: Oct 31, 2010 08:02:56 pm
      Another 3 points. Is it Christmas? :) Still hoarse from when Maxi's goal went in. Not vintage stuff but at least the guys are getting forward more and showing some balls. Sotis is doing a mans job, fair fucks to him. Not in the team for ages before recently but since he's come in he's been a commanding presence and a real threat at set pieces. Riding our luck a bit too with the peno shout and the miss for Bolton near the end. Still too early to say we've really turned a corner but should keep the 'woy' boys a little quieter for now. Nowhere near top 4 form yet and Chelsea next will be a tough ask but 2 wins in a row will give the lads some confidence going into that one.
      Thank F**k we're out of the bottom 3, not used to it and it's no fun being there.
      miroa12004
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts |
      Reply #688: Oct 31, 2010 08:03:17 pm
      They're in, Roy's post match comments.

Roy's Bolton verdict
      31st Oct 2010 - Latest News

Roy Hodgson heaped praise on the character of his side as a late Maxi Rodriguez strike gave Liverpool a 1-0 win over Bolton Wanderers at the Reebok Stadium on Sunday.

The Argentine's 86th minute goal saw the Reds climb out of the bottom three in the Barclays Premier League and the manager claimed the victory was just rewards for never giving up.

"We had some good situations and just when I thought we might do something we wasted it, but thankfully we kept going and luckily one more chance came up and we got the goal," Hodgson told reporters at his post-match press conference.

"It was a nicely worked goal with a great touch from Fernando to give Maxi the chance.

"I felt it was a very gritty performance from our back four against a team that is never easy to play against.

"Bolton are very similar to Blackburn and they have an effective style of play based on getting the ball into the penalty area from all areas.

"We were well organised and I congratulate our team and I am really pleased we got the victory because as people have told me several times this week we don't usually win away, but it was nice to do so for a change.

"We have now had three very good results and the pleasing thing for me is we have defended so much better.

"I know that we will score goals. At the moment we aren't scoring a lot, but I do believe with people like Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres, Maxi today, Raul Meireles and Dirk Kuyt there are goals in this team.

"One of the things that did concern me at one stage was that we were leaking too many goals this season, so we are defending better now.

"It's a step in the right direction and the players know they have got the ability to dig in, even in games like this against Bolton, which is a good thing to know."

The boss was also asked by journalists how he felt about David Ngog's appearance from the bench after the French striker made a favourable impression as a 61st minute substitute.

"He contributed a lot and he's getting better and better," said Hodgson.

"David works very hard at his game in training and he tries very hard to do some of the things we are asking him to do.

"I thought he made a good contribution to our victory, especially because Fernando was tiring at that time.

"It was good to see him do well because he is a young player who we think has got potential.

"But of course when you are at a big club like Liverpool people are not that forgiving when you don't show that potential every time you step on the field."

Fernando Torres spurned a good chance to put Liverpool ahead in the first half, and journalists were keen to get Hodgson's thoughts on the Spaniard's form.

The boss replied: "Quality is permanent and he's getting there.

"It will come for Fernando. He has been very good in training and he works very hard at his game in training.

"He is very much on board with what we are trying to do and asking him to do.

"It is sometimes small margins. With the chance he had in the first half if he takes the ball around the 'keeper and scores then it's a different story.

"Because he didn't score he can see the headlines on Monday about Torres misses again, but there's nothing we can do about that.

"All we can do is encourage him to keep working like he is and to let him know we think he is a magnificent player, and over the course of the next 30 or so games he will do a good job for us, without a shadow of a doubt. "

Hodgson was also quizzed about how he has coped with the start to the season which saw the Reds struggling in the bottom half of the table.

He added: "I have always believed we are working the right way.

"I have been as devastated as everyone else by the lack of results but I have never stopped believing in hard work and believing the work will pay dividends.

"It's just a question of time scales and it is a rebuilding job. We have still got a lot of work to do but it's just nice to see a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

"That's part and parcel of being a manager of a really top team. The expectations are very high and there will be lots of applause if it goes well and lots of kicks up the backside if it doesn't, and I accept that.

"Most importantly I try to make certain it doesn't affect my work with the players during the week in training, because then when they go out on the field at least I can feel we have done as much preparation and put the players in the best possible condition to win the match."

Hodgson also revealed his squad could be boosted against Chelsea next Sunday by the return of Dirk Kuyt and Glen Johnson.

He stated: "I think Dirk will be available to be in the squad against Chelsea, but whether he is fit enough to play that remains to be seen.

"I think Dirk will start training with the team again towards the latter part of the week and then it's a question of seeing how well he can cope, and in particular how fit he can be after a three-week lay-off.

"Glen Johnson should also be available against Chelsea."

Meanwhile, reporters asked Hodgson if he planned to meet with NESV Principal Owner John W Henry, who returns to Liverpool this week.

He said: "We have contact with each other on an almost daily basis because he is very interested, very committed and very anxious to learn more about the club and what can be done, what needs to be done, and how the club should move forward, which is music to all our ears.

"He will be holding a lot of meetings this week and he wants to spend some time with me and discuss how I see the situation and see things panning out in the future.

"It will be a good week and I'm delighted we are doing it on the back of a victory rather than a defeat.

"It will be nice to meet the owners this week and it's very positive."

Author: Steve Hunter at the Reebok Stadium

Roy's Bolton verdict - Liverpool FC

Aside from the bolded parts, he didn't mention Agger, and he talked about Ngog's subsitituion is as if he really meant it and not a sub that wa forced on him because of Cole's injuiry, it is also interesting to see his comments on Cole and how much will he miss.Probably these comments are edited since they are from the official site but they are the only place where I found the post match comments maybe we'll find all of his comments later on the newspaper sites.

Will talk about my opinion of the match later, time to finish some work for me after celebrating.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #689: Oct 31, 2010 08:04:46 pm
      I was praying to see a Liverpool defeat at 1st... but then it would be harder to climb up the table next week... so 3 points will do for now, but to be honest, the manner we got the win today is seriously not good enough... and having Chelsea in mind for next week, I think Roy better start packing his diapers.

praying to see a Liverpool defeat at 1st?

Just the kind of support the club needs.

Quick Reply