Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Damien Comolli confirmed as Director of Football.

Read 42567 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Damien Comolli confirmed as Director of Football.
      Nov 03, 2010 12:56:34 pm
      Damien Comolli joins LFC
      New England Sports Ventures (NESV) and Liverpool FC are pleased to announce the appointment of Damien Comolli as Director of Football Strategy for Liverpool FC.

NESV Principal Owner John Henry said today: "Damien has a proven track-record of identifying exciting young footballing talent and we are delighted that he has agreed to join Liverpool. Working closely with Roy Hodgson and the coaching staff, I know he will make a valuable contribution to strengthening the Club and the squad as we move forward.

"Today's announcement is just the first step in creating a leadership group and structure designed to develop, enhance and implement our long-term philosophy of scouting, recruitment, player development and all of the other aspects necessary to build and sustain a club able to consistently compete at the highest level in European football.

"We intend to be bold and innovative. We will not rest until we have restored Liverpool Football Club to the greatness Liverpool fans expect."

Roy Hodgson added: "I am looking forward to working with Damien whom I have known for many years. We are engaged in an exciting project here and he will bring a lot to the table. We all want to see moves to strengthen the squad and support player development over the next few years. John Henry and I are totally united in delivering on that ambition." 

Damien Comolli said:"I am delighted to be joining Liverpool and look forward to working with John and Roy.  I think we all realise there is a big job ahead, but we all share the vision that John has for rebuilding the club and bringing back the success that the supporters deserve."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/damien-comolli-joins-lfc

Just had a message Damien Comolli has quit Saint-Etienne and that he's been approached to join Liverpool as director of Football.

For those of you, who are not aware of who Damien Comolli is, he was the director of football at Spurs between 2005 and 2008 and was responsible for bringing Gareth Bale, Alan Hutton, Kevin-Prince Boateng, Giovanni dos Santos, Adel Taarabt and Younes Kaboul to the club.

On 9th November 2008, it was announced that he would return to Saint-Étienne as sporting director. His appointment led to the departure of manager Laurent Roussey.  :f_whistle:

Don't know whether this will be locked as there is no source in terms of a link, but I'm wondering if any one else is hearing these rumours.
      « Last Edit: Nov 03, 2010 06:53:02 pm by redkenny, Reason: official article added »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Re: Hearing Rumours, Damien Comolli, Director of Football.
      Reply #1: Nov 03, 2010 12:58:14 pm
      So no truth about Kenny being Director of Football then.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #2: Nov 03, 2010 01:01:47 pm
      So no truth about Kenny being Director of Football then.

What I heard was that after the Everton game, Dalglish had been placed in charge (be this temporary or not) of identifying potential transfer targets.  Roy was told to get on with his job of coaching the players and getting the results to save his job.

I would be exceptionally surprised if Liverpool did actually bring in a Director of Football - I don't know of many English clubs were this has been succesful.  Far better to have a strong manager in charge of footballing decisions.

I'm against Liverpool bringing in a Director of Football. I don't think we can attract the best managers in the world if they know they are not in charge of who they can play.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #3: Nov 03, 2010 01:04:10 pm
      Heard the same rumour, except it was as General Manager he was being brought in, or Sporting Director.

As well as some decent players coming through though, a word of caution - he is creditted by Spurs fans as being the reason why Jol and Ramos didn't succeed having bought players the manager/coach did not want.

On the plus side, he is familiar with the US model of running a sports business and as well is familiar with Sabermatics as applied to football rather than baseball.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #4: Nov 03, 2010 01:07:52 pm
      I'm against Liverpool bringing in a Director of Football. I don't think we can attract the best managers in the world if they know they are not in charge of who they can play.

I only think a Director Of Football would work if the two men ie DOF and Head Coach are used to working with each other and both are comfortable with that system and clear what both their roles are.

But I would much rather have a top quality strong manager who is control of everything in realation to buying, selecting of players.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #5: Nov 03, 2010 01:08:28 pm
      To oversee recruitment drive it is then.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #6: Nov 03, 2010 01:09:20 pm
      Damien Comolli: Does he deserve a pardon?

Tuesday, 21 September 2010 06:16 Paul Johnson

Damien ComolliMention the name ‘Damien Comolli’ to a pub of packed Spurs fans and you’d probably be lucky to escape with a just a pint or two poured over you.

Tottenham’s Sporting Director between 2005 to 2008 is largely blamed for the malaise that set in during the end of the Martin Jol and Juande Ramos era’s but just take a look at the Spurs team that beat FC Twente in the Champions League last week and maybe you’d be so kind as to give Comolli the benefit of the doubt.

Time can be a great healer so they say (whoever ‘they’ are). Just look at Villa’s appointment of Gerard Houllier. A few years ago, towards the end of his Liverpool reign, everyone seemed to be saying how rubbish he was. Now, a few years on and people are falling over themselves to say how the modern Liverpool were basically created by Houllier. (That’s the Liverpool who consistently finished in the top four and won a champions league title by the way, not the shambles that lost to Northampton the other week).

I wonder if history will be so kind to Comolli ? If you don’t see what I mean then I invite you to look at the current Tottenham Hotspur side. Gareth Bale, Luka Modric, Benoit Assou-Ekotto and Heurelho Gomes are all signings made by Comolli and, (Bale and Modric especially) are the fulcrum of an exciting young team that is currently making people sit up and take notice in the Champions League.

It’s hard to argue that everything that Comolli did turned to gold. The signings of players such as Bentley, Bent and Zokora for example perhaps didn’t work out as expected; however, when looking at the signings he made, there are more success stories then hiccups.

When Comolli finally got his P45 in 2008, I think it was the time was right for him to go. Those dark days saw Tottenham propping up the league and a change was required from top to bottom at the club. Redknapp has proved to be the right appointment but that’s not to say that I think Spurs fans should constantly lambast our former Sporting Director. His time at the club has yielded some great players.

So never mind give peace a chance, give Comolli a chance. Anyone who can bring Bale and Modric to White Hart lane can’t be all bad.

http://soccer-portal.org/cat/news/3729-damien-comolli-does-he-deserve-a-pardon.html
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #7: Nov 03, 2010 01:11:33 pm
      I agree with JD it has been tried before and always leads to conflict providing you have got a good confident manager. ;D
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8: Nov 03, 2010 01:12:28 pm
      Looks like this happening I've just been on twitter and Dan Roan the BBC sports corrospondent who covered the take over/ court case is pretty much reporting it as a done deal.

Breaking - Damien Commoli to join Liverpool 4 minutes ago via web

Damien Comolli to join Liverpool to help oversee recruitment drive less than a minute ago via web

http://twitter.com/danroan
      Alicus
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 15 
      Reply #9: Nov 03, 2010 01:14:04 pm
      Oversee recruitment drive?

Like, recruitment of a decent manager?
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #10: Nov 03, 2010 01:15:37 pm
      I would be exceptionally surprised if Liverpool did actually bring in a Director of Football - I don't know of many English clubs were this has been succesful.  Far better to have a strong manager in charge of footballing decisions.

They seem happy enough to go to teams on the continent who have a Director of Football.   

I think it could work, with the right relationship and understanding between the coach and DoF.

I don't really like the idea long-term though, but I think it is a GREAT idea with Roy in charge.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #11: Nov 03, 2010 01:16:12 pm
      Looks like this happening I've just been on twitter and Dan Roan the BBC sports corrospondent who covered the take over/ court case is pretty much reporting it as a done deal.

Breaking - Damien Commoli to join Liverpool 4 minutes ago via web

Damien Comolli to join Liverpool to help oversee recruitment drive less than a minute ago via web

http://twitter.com/danroan

Nice breaking of breaking news before the news broke Blood!

If it goes through I hope it's for the best but looking at Google he appears to have fallen out with a couple of Managers over signings. Time will tell.

We need a new manager first unless him coming means Hodgson will have any signings taken away from his hands.

Oh the mind boggles.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #12: Nov 03, 2010 01:20:57 pm
      Where does that leave Roy if it happens does he have a managerial partnership with anyone.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #13: Nov 03, 2010 01:21:55 pm
      What the F**k is a Director of Football?

And what is 'overseeing recruitment drive' meant to mean?

MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #14: Nov 03, 2010 01:32:27 pm
      Delighted,one thing this means for sure is we'r going after the worlds best youngsters,and Hodgson's power is getting diluted woke up to that unexpected news and boy has it made my day :)
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #15: Nov 03, 2010 01:35:57 pm
      Confirmed on 5Live, Damien Comolli joining LFC as Director of Football
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #16: Nov 03, 2010 01:36:42 pm
      Where does that leave Roy if it happens does he have a managerial partnership with anyone.

I think it leaves woy on the dole que!

No offence to people on the dole.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #17: Nov 03, 2010 01:37:56 pm
      More importantly what does that mean for Kenny.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #18: Nov 03, 2010 01:38:28 pm
      More importantly what does that mean for Kenny.

Maybe he'll get the role Rafa picked out for him? ;) ;D
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Re: Hearing Rumours, Damien Comolli, Director of Football. (Now Confirmed)
      Reply #19: Nov 03, 2010 01:42:14 pm
      I think I would prefer him in the role he has stated he would like.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #20: Nov 03, 2010 01:44:04 pm
      I think I would prefer him in the role he has stated he would like.

haha, yeah, even better. Kenny announced as LFC manager on Thursday and we beat Chelsea sunday... nice ;D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #21: Nov 03, 2010 01:44:05 pm
      Speaking to a couple of spuds fans and they reckon its a bad move we have got him as director of football.

Dont know how to react to this.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #22: Nov 03, 2010 01:44:27 pm
      Bit of a mixed reaction to this. Glad someone is taking the responsibility off Hodgson, but long term I'm worried about who we'll be able to attract in a managerial position.

Maybe it's short term. Recruitment drive sounds like a temporary influx of new staff.

Quick Reply