Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Suarez: We failed in the league

Read 2694 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Mar 30, 2012 01:34:28 pm

In a display of brutal honesty, Liverpool striker Luis Suarez confessed that he has been utterly disappointed by the club's performances in the league this season.

The Uruguayan has only scored seven goals in the league this term as the Reds have fallen well off the pace in the race for Champions League qualification. At this late stage of the season, they are 13 points behind Tottenham who occupy fourth place.

The only bright spot in the current campaign has been their Carling Cup victory over Cardiff and fans are hoping that they will at least reach the FA Cup final after they were drawn against Merseyside rivals Everton for the semi-final.

But Suarez concedes that his side have severely failed to live up to the expectations set upon them after a summer of heavy investment and with the fans harbouring high hopes after a dismal couple of seasons.

"Our goal this season was to win trophies and qualify for the Champions League," Suarez admitted to the Sun.

"The first part is fulfilled but we have failed in our other dream. Nobody could have believed we would be beaten by QPR and Wigan.

"What's gone wrong? We have incredibly missed out in the last minutes of matches, we've been affected by injuries and cards.

"The squad is angry and we really want to win at Newcastle on Sunday."

He believes that their injury-time loss to Arsenal was the start of a calamitous loss of form that has seen them double their loss tally and fail to find their clinical touch in recent games.

"The problem stems from that day," Suarez said.

"It was a key match and the defeat really affected us. If we had beaten the Gunners everything could have changed.

"Our mission [now] is to finish in the highest position possible and to fight for the FA Cup.

"To win two cups will be the best we can give to the fans who demanded that we play in Europe's top competition.

"But there is always pressure because Liverpool is obliged to win every game and be high up in the table."

Suarez also defended team-mate Andy Carroll who has failed to live up to his £35 million price tag. The striker returns to his old club and all eyes will be focused on how the ex-Geordie handles the occasion.

"This is going to be a special match for Andy. He needs to demonstrate his quality and I have no doubt he will.

"Andy is a big forward but the pressure is not easy to overcome as a rookie. I had the same experience when I joined Ajax and Liverpool.

"Andy is working very well in training. He's always scoring and I'd be very happy if he did so on Sunday, although I don't think he will celebrate if it happens.

"It won't be easy at Newcastle. Few people thought they would be fifth and in with a chance of the Europa League but they've merited their success.

"But we want to restore our pride after our run of defeats - and we must give some joy back to the fans."

Suarez also agreed that he hasn't been good enough this season and he hopes to address his finishing problems and get more goals by the end of the current campaign. He also wants to return to Wembley and hopefully help his side achieve a Cup double.

"My job is to score goals and I admit I have not always fulfilled it this season," he said.

"Last year I was marked less tightly and that helped but, since August, defenders have known my style and it has been more difficult to surprise them.

"I'll keep on fighting. I want more of those big moments celebrating with the fans.

"Winning the Carling Cup was very special and now, to beat Everton and make the FA Cup final, that would be magic.

"Wembley is a temple for any footballer to play a final and to clinch a trophy is something to remember for a lifetime."

http://www.espnstar.com/football/premier-league/news/detail/item778089/Suarez:-We-failed-in-the-league/
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Re: Suarez: We failed in the league
      Reply #1: Mar 30, 2012 01:40:02 pm
      "Our goal this season was to win trophies and qualify for the Champions League," Suarez admitted to the S*n.

no he didn't!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,289 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2: Mar 30, 2012 01:45:39 pm
      Players have badly let the club and there manager down in the league this year
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #3: Mar 30, 2012 01:48:40 pm
      "Our goal this season was to win trophies and qualify for the Champions League," Suarez admitted to the S*n.

no he didn't!
      It would be a few media outlets all hearing the same story and saying he told us, just to make them special.
      Bier
      Reply #4: Mar 30, 2012 02:06:40 pm

no he didn't!

They were actually the first English website to publish this story. But I wouldn't be surprised if they stole it from some foreign media or something.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #5: Mar 30, 2012 02:08:31 pm

no he didn't!

Oh wait. I didn't see that! Apologies but anyways, I think he's probably just saying what we all feel in a nutshell.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #6: Mar 30, 2012 02:34:14 pm
      It would be a few media outlets all hearing the same story and saying he told us, just to make them special.

Yup. He's completely right though. We (are) failed (failing) miserably in the league in the second half of the season.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,619 posts | 3850 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Mar 30, 2012 03:02:17 pm
      Ignoring the s*n bit,
      He is bang on the money.
      Losing to Arsenal seems to be where we threw in the towel for the league.
      Since then we've not been able to see out games at all.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #8: Mar 30, 2012 05:45:17 pm
      This is what ****es me off when people bang on about how 4th was never realistic this season and we are in transition etc. etc.

Even the players are admitting that was our target and we have simply failed.

How are we meant to solve a problem and get better unless we admit there is one in the first place?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #9: Mar 30, 2012 05:53:01 pm
      F**k off The S*n you horrible tw*ts, he told you F**k all.

Good interview though, his English is amazing :P
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #10: Mar 30, 2012 05:57:30 pm
      This is what ****es me off when people bang on about how 4th was never realistic this season and we are in transition etc. etc.

Even the players are admitting that was our target and we have simply failed.

How are we meant to solve a problem and get better unless we admit there is one in the first place?

I think we all knew it was "a target " at the begining of the season but so would it have been for 5 other clubs, we cant expect to get there as yes we are in transition.

Missing out this year puts pressure on next year as the longer we spend out of it the harder it will be to get back there.

If I miss a target I don't expect to get sacked though, I work harder to achieve the next one.

Luis is spot on here but I'm not happy with the S*n being involved. So my involvement ends there.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #11: Mar 30, 2012 06:03:03 pm
      4th was a realistic target, of course it was. Had we not hit the woodwork 24 times or whatever the f*** it is we'd have probably got there n'all. I actually think we are the 4th/5th best team in the league at the moment, so of course it was realistic for me to hope for fourth.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,396 posts | 2823 
      Reply #12: Mar 30, 2012 06:42:21 pm
      Good, honest interview that.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #13: Mar 31, 2012 06:15:14 am
      he speaks very well, he's a top class very smart man who is going to get even better. but a huge pity this rag has given us this story, F**k off you scum cu*ts.
      pragnorok
      • Forum David Johnson

• 222 posts |
      Reply #14: Mar 31, 2012 08:26:23 am
      Why is he even speaking to that paper? he should have been briefed about that shiterag wtf is he doing.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #15: Mar 31, 2012 10:25:29 am
      Why is he even speaking to that paper? he should have been briefed about that shiterag wtf is he doing.

Read Post 3.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #16: Mar 31, 2012 11:07:08 am
      Well said Luis.

Quick Reply