Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Damien Comolli confirmed as Director of Football.

Read 42566 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Hearing Rumours, Damien Comolli, Director of Football. (Now Confirmed)
      Reply #23: Nov 03, 2010 01:46:11 pm
      Nice breaking of breaking news before the news broke Blood!

Aye was very lucky to get in before Dan Roan, recieved the text on my phone this morning at 9.27 but it was on charge upstairs, so didn't realise until I went u[p and got it :D
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #24: Nov 03, 2010 01:47:22 pm
      Just takes more power away from Hodgson, so as of right now, I am happy with it.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #25: Nov 03, 2010 01:47:34 pm
      It was on TIA yesterday ;)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #26: Nov 03, 2010 01:49:04 pm
      Interesting did Roy have anything to say about him? Was he happy at having transfers taken away from him.Is Cmolli happy with Roy all these question but never any answers.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #27: Nov 03, 2010 01:50:55 pm
      It seems to work on the continent and they are able to attract managers - Inter have attracted two of the best managers in the world with a DoF.  I would not worry about that - I think the scale of our problems is more likely to put someone off!

The bad experience that Spurs had may not have been Comolli's fault - just because he was DoF at the time.  He had a bad relationship with Jol and Ramos was just bad for the club.  Comolli was criticised because some of this signings were not performing but the team seemed to play well under 'arry.  I am sure he has learned from the experience.

I'm neither for, nor against this - I'll wait and see how it all unfolds.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #28: Nov 03, 2010 01:52:19 pm
      On the downside, if this happens, it probably means they're sticking with Roy for the time being.

On the upside, I don't want Roy in charge of anymore signings.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,868 posts | 165 
      Reply #29: Nov 03, 2010 02:09:58 pm
      Just had a message Damien Comolli has quit Saint-Etienne and that he's been approached to join Liverpool as director of Football.

For those of you, who are not aware of who Damien Comolli is, he was the director of football at Spurs between 2005 and 2008 and was responsible for bringing Gareth Bale, Alan Hutton, Kevin-Prince Boateng, Giovanni dos Santos, Adel Taarabt and Younes Kaboul to the club.

On 9th November 2008, it was announced that he would return to Saint-Étienne as sporting director. His appointment led to the departure of manager Laurent Roussey.  :f_whistle:

Don't know whether this will be locked as there is no source in terms of a link, but I'm wondering if any one else is hearing these rumours.
      Apart from Bale, the rest are a bunch of Donkeys.
      Alicus
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 15 
      Reply #30: Nov 03, 2010 02:17:51 pm
      I heard he's going to be our new chief scout.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #31: Nov 03, 2010 02:23:58 pm
      Wow, wasn't expecting this.

They are certainly moving quickly to start on a project. I'm unwilling to say either way on the DOF idea but I don't think the problems with it are with the system itself and more with its adapation to English staff/managers/players.

Its good that they are implementing a 'vision' rather than sitting in Texas taking are cash like the last two.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #32: Nov 03, 2010 02:32:44 pm
      iwantfernandosbabies
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #33: Nov 03, 2010 02:39:33 pm
      Apart from Bale, the rest are a bunch of Donkeys.

Bollocks.

Bale is turning into one of the best left wingers in europe.

Kevin-prince boateng's now at ac milan.

Dos Santos had a fantastic world cup and is a superb talent.

Hutton got criminally few chances last season but has been very good when given games this season.

Berbatov, for 10mill, was a brilliant signing for spurs.

Comolli also brought clichy and toure to arsenal.
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #34: Nov 03, 2010 02:48:05 pm
      Hearing good things but as always I'll reserve judgement until I see results.

Certainly more comforting than allowing Roy control of the money saying as Carlton Cole was Roy's main target in deadline day, the same man who would have trouble hitting a barn door with a banjo. The likes of Modric, Berbatov, Dos Santos and Hutton are exactly what we need to build for the future. Here's hoping!!
      fraggle786
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | 15 
      Reply #35: Nov 03, 2010 03:08:23 pm
      Damien Comolli (born 1972) is a French football coach and scout, with AS Monaco, AS Saint-Étienne, Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and most recently Liverpool. He speaks fluent English, Spanish and French.

He was born in Béziers, France, and played as a youth team player at AS Monaco. In 1992, he began a successful three-year coaching job with Monaco, where he looked after the club's Under-16 squads and won the state championship at that level. Comolli completed a law degree in 1995 and gained his French coaching licence.

In 1996 he joined Arsenal and spent seven seasons as a European scout and is credited with the discovery of several of Arsenal's players such as Kolo Touré, Emmanuel Eboué[1] and Gaël Clichy.[2] Between 2004 and 2005 he was technical director of AS Saint-Étienne.[3] The club went through a successful period, finishing sixth in the league and reaching the semi-finals of the Coupe de France. During his time there he also oversaw a number of important first team signings and developed partnerships with junior and amateur clubs, locally, nationally and internationally.

In 2005 he became director of football at Tottenham Hotspur, with overall responsibility for the medical, academy, scouting and club secretarial departments, replacing the outgoing Frank Arnesen.[1]. During his time there he had several disagreements with coach Martin Jol, who after his departure from Spurs complained several players had been signed by Comolli without his agreement.[4] He spent three years in the job but with Tottenham performing poorly in 2008-09 and some of Comolli's signings coming in for criticism,[5] he was dismissed in October 2008, along with manager Juande Ramos, assistant Gus Poyet and first team coach Marcos Álvarez‎.[6] During his time at Tottenham, Comolli was responsible for Tottenham's policy of signing some of the world's brightest young talents, bringing young players such as Gareth Bale, Alan Hutton, Kevin-Prince Boateng, Giovanni dos Santos, Adel Taarabt and Younes Kaboul to the club.[7]

On 9th November 2008, it was announced that he would return to Saint-Étienne as sporting director.[8] His appointment led to the departure of manager Laurent Roussey.[9]

On 3rd November 2010, it was announced that he would be joining as Director of Football Strategy for Liverpool FC to help oversee the recruitment of new players to the club.
      fraggle786
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | 15 
      Reply #36: Nov 03, 2010 03:15:28 pm
      Damien Comolli’s Tottenham signings:

1. Vedran Corluka, Manchester City, £8.5m
      2. Roman Pavlyuchenko, Spartak Moscow, £14m
      3. Cesar Sanchez, Real Zaragoza, Undisclosed
      4. David Bentley, Blackburn Rovers, £15m-17m
      5. Heurelho Gomes, PSV Eindhoven, £9m
      6. Giovani dos Santos, Barcelona, £4.7m
      7. Luka Modric, Dinamo Zagreb, £15.8m
      8. Gilberto, Hertha Berlin £1.9m
      9. Alan Hutton, Glasgow Rangers, £8m
      10. Jonathan Woodgate, Middlesbrough, £7.5m
      11. Chris Gunter, Cardiff City, £2m
      12. Kevin-Prince Boateng, Hertha Berlin, £5.2m
      13. Danny Rose, Leeds United, Undisclosed
      14. Younes Kaboul, Auxerre, £8.2m
      15. Darren Bent, Charlton Athletic, £16.5m
      16. Adel Taarabt, RC Lens, Undisclosed
      17. Gareth Bale, Southampton, £5m – £10m
      18. Ben Alnwick, Sunderland, Undisclosed
      19. Ricardo Rocha, Benfica, £3,5m
      20. Mido, AS Roma, £4m
      21. Pascal Chimbonda, Wigan Athletic, £4m
      22. Steed Malbranque, Fulham, £3.5m
      23. Didier Zokora, St Etienne, £6.5m
      24. Benoit Assou-Ekotto, RC Lens, £3.5m
      25. Dimitar Berbatov, Bayer Leverkusen, £10.9m
      26. Hossam Ghaly, Feyernoord, Undisclosed
      27. Danny Murphy, Charlton, £2m

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #37: Nov 03, 2010 03:18:23 pm
      Can't say I'm over the moon.

But much better that there is someone there with some knowledge of younger players.

Has it hindered our ability to bring in a top class manager? That's the question.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #38: Nov 03, 2010 03:20:41 pm
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damien_Comolli

at least Woy wont be holding the purse strings and shopping at the Pound Shops.

It makes you think JD.

If Woy ain't selecting and buying new players is that a signal he isn't going anywhere?
      So.
      He'll be putting the cones out then.

Not fit for anything else.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #39: Nov 03, 2010 03:20:42 pm
      Think this is a fine move myself.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #40: Nov 03, 2010 03:22:47 pm
      He signed Woodgate wow what sort of medical did he have.David Bentley £15mil wow Darren Bent £16mil. I think you should send this list to John Henry.
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #41: Nov 03, 2010 03:31:14 pm
      Not Good!!

Many managers won't work under a Director of Football.  Rafa for one wouldn't.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #42: Nov 03, 2010 03:33:35 pm
      If NESV want to rewrite the rule book we are fu**ed but will be highly respected.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #43: Nov 03, 2010 03:34:13 pm
      Not Good!!

Many managers won't work under a Director of Football.  Rafa for one wouldn't.

So what is he doing at Inter?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #44: Nov 03, 2010 03:38:35 pm
      I know what you are saying but i think that Rafa jumped at the opportunity to get away but still manage a big club.
      Arnie
      • Forum John Toshack

• 249 posts |
      Reply #45: Nov 03, 2010 03:41:27 pm
      Really don't know how to react. I trust NESV to do the best thing for the club and support the decisions they make as they clearly have the clubs best interests at heart, however I don't know if a director of football would hamper our abilities of attracting top managerial talent.

I'm just going to go along with this and see what happens. To be frank, if we can keep this winning streak going then I'll be happy no matter what. At the end of the day it's points that matter. I look at that list and I see players like Modric, Bale and Berbatov and I get a splatter of optimism.

Quick Reply