Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Damien Comolli confirmed as Director of Football.

Read 42833 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Damien Comolli confirmed as Director of Football.
      Reply #437: Jan 06, 2012 01:04:25 pm
      Anyone mate that thought Carroll was worth 35million downing 20million or even bent 30million worries me massively. Could Comoli not have said to Kenny they are asking for crazy money i can find u a better player for half the price. Because that is exactly what he should be saying instead of paying these ridiculous fees

You always pay the premium for English players mate, its always been that way, especially if they have a long contract and have International on their CV.

I suppose Comolli could have said something but I don't want Comolli having final say on transfers, he does not have to manage the players, I'm fine with him working alongside Kenny and identifying targets but a decision on a player should always be left to teh manager as he see's how that player is going to fit into his team and tactics.

Were only just over 6 months for our summer signings mate, still in contention for top 4 maybe one good addition this window will really kick start our season and then come May not everything will looks so bad, still a lot of football to be played yet before I completely write our summer buys off.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #438: Jan 06, 2012 01:07:44 pm
      A year on Carroll mate and if bent happens at thirty million think he will make Carroll look a bargain
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #439: Jan 06, 2012 01:17:50 pm
      A year on Carroll mate and if bent happens at thirty million think he will make Carroll look a bargain

Don't think Bent is going to happen mate, your getting worked up on rumours.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #440: Jan 06, 2012 01:21:24 pm
      £30 million is excessive for Bent, i think as a club we should be looking for 3 players at £10 million each who would provide the team with width,pace & attack,they dont have to be star names but those who will offer more in terms of what bent will just offer.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #441: Jan 06, 2012 01:47:43 pm
      During his time at Tottenham, Comolli was responsible for Tottenham's policy of signing some of the world's brightest young talents, bringing players such as
      Gareth Bale
      Alan Hutton
      Kevin-Prince Boateng
      Giovani dos Santos
      Adel Taarabt
      Younes Kaboul
      Luka Modrić
      Benoit Assou-Ekotto
      Heurelho Gomes
      David Bentley
      Vedran Ćorluka
      Roman Pavlyuchenko
      Dimitar Berbatov

Not a bad record there....

Not having a go at Comolli for his job at Spurs cause I don't even know what exactly he did there, but how many of these players turned out to be anything of note? Bale, Modric and Berbatov are the only ones I'd have at Liverpool, and none of them were unknowns, all you needed to watch Berbatov's goals was cable tv, Bale was one of the most highly rated youngsters in UK and even Football Manager players knew about Modric.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #442: Jan 06, 2012 08:51:45 pm
      Not having a go at Comolli for his job at Spurs cause I don't even know what exactly he did there, but how many of these players turned out to be anything of note? Bale, Modric and Berbatov are the only ones I'd have at Liverpool, and none of them were unknowns, all you needed to watch Berbatov's goals was cable tv, Bale was one of the most highly rated youngsters in UK and even Football Manager players knew about Modric.

I think Prince-Boateng is a good player as well. Was very surprised he went to AC Milan, but he's done well there.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #443: Jan 06, 2012 09:07:39 pm
      We've come a long way from the days of Parry trying to do deals on the final day of the window.  I'm sure if he has made any, Comolli has learn from any past errors and the owners have faith in him and Kenny can relay to him his philosophy of playing.

What of the Sabermatics - haven't heard them mentioned lately? ;D
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #444: Jan 06, 2012 09:59:35 pm
      Mate I don't know what he does here let alone what he did at Spurs

Why cant Kenny do what DC does, whatever that is ?
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #445: Jan 06, 2012 10:26:16 pm
      Mate I don't know what he does here let alone what he did at Spurs

Why cant Kenny do what DC does, whatever that is ?

He uses a scouting network looking for players to present to Kenny.
      He re-organized and runs the scouting department.
      He run's profiles on players that Kenny asks him to do.
      He uses analytic's to look for price vs. value.
      He coordinates all the Academy and Youth squads.
      He negotiates the deals once Kenny signs off on a player.
      He is part of a 5 man team Kenny-Comolli-Ayer-Henry-Warner

He does not buy the players, Kenny does with the other 4 signing off
      He does not have any "final say", Kenny does with the other 4 signing off

His job is to take the load off of Kenny, because quite honestly this is not the 70's or 80's. Football is a global sport that requires networking, analysis and a finger in every corner of the world with the hope of finding a Coates a couple of years before he is "known"

Kenny has enough issues right now with the 1st team; while he has final say he should not have to do everything as you suggest.

You as why can't Kenny do what DC does?  My answer would be why can't Kenny do what Clarke, Ayre, Segura and Bollrel do...Hell let's make Kenny in charge of pies and biscuits while were at it.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #446: Jan 07, 2012 02:15:02 am
      He uses a scouting network looking for players to present to Kenny.
      He re-organized and runs the scouting department.
      He run's profiles on players that Kenny asks him to do.
      He uses analytic's to look for price vs. value.
      He coordinates all the Academy and Youth squads.
      He negotiates the deals once Kenny signs off on a player.
      He is part of a 5 man team Kenny-Comolli-Ayer-Henry-Warner

He does not buy the players, Kenny does with the other 4 signing off
      He does not have any "final say", Kenny does with the other 4 signing off

His job is to take the load off of Kenny, because quite honestly this is not the 70's or 80's. Football is a global sport that requires networking, analysis and a finger in every corner of the world with the hope of finding a Coates a couple of years before he is "known"

Kenny has enough issues right now with the 1st team; while he has final say he should not have to do everything as you suggest.

You as why can't Kenny do what DC does?  My answer would be why can't Kenny do what Clarke, Ayre, Segura and Bollrel do...Hell let's make Kenny in charge of pies and biscuits while were at it.

Everything you say DC does was already being done by someone at this club before he turned up and is being done successfully at many English clubs without a Director of Football

Coates was an international player who won the award for the best young player in the Copa America before he came to LFC, a very long, long way from being an unknown player

My dead grandmother could have found Coates
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #447: Jan 07, 2012 02:36:43 am
      Everything you say DC does was already being done by someone at this club before he turned up and is being done successfully at many English clubs without a Director of Football

Coates was an international player who won the award for the best young player in the Copa America before he came to LFC, a very long, long way from being an unknown player

My dead grandmother could have found Coates

Guess why he has the Job Eddie? Because JH hired him and wanted him to do it; you know it is in they're right to do so.

Director of football is name only thing...means about as much as being vice president of sales.

Now everyone that was doing what DC is doing are still doing it except they answer to him.

Thick as molasses some are, in the end Kenny has final say on transfers; he has said it, Comolli said it; its all we really need to know.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #448: Jan 07, 2012 02:50:16 am
      Wasn't aware that scouting was meant to be a game of 'Where's Wally?' they go look at some players who are reportedly playing well and decide whether they should try and get them or not. Would Coates be here if he didn't play well at Copa America? No he wouldn't, even though he would still have the same talent he does now.

Would you rather Comolli bought some unknown player to fill the gap left by Suarez who has potential but could fail or Higuain?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #449: Jan 07, 2012 02:53:40 am
      Comolli operates the same way Rafa did, scouts all over the place.

And Coates had been scouted by Comolli's 'scouts' two years previously, he wasn't just bought because of his Copa performances, although obviously they probably helped.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #450: Jan 07, 2012 02:56:13 am

Guess why he has the Job Eddie? Because JH hired him and wanted him to do it; you know it is in they're right to do so.

Director of football is name only thing...means about as much as being vice president of sales.

Now everyone that was doing what DC is doing are still doing it except they answer to him.

Thick as molasses some are, in the end Kenny has final say on transfers; he has said it, Comolli said it; its all we really need to know.

I think it is quite sweet the confidence you have in JH and co, but please, just because I would rather Liverpool not have a Director of Football does not mean I am having a go at JH and co

When I have a go at the owners I will be straightforward

Please stop being paranoid it ruins the chance of a good debate   
      « Last Edit: Jan 07, 2012 03:21:28 am by Eddieo »
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #451: Jan 07, 2012 03:13:22 am
      Comolli operates the same way Rafa did, scouts all over the place.

And Coates had been scouted by Comolli's 'scouts' two years previously, he wasn't just bought because of his Copa performances, although obviously they probably helped.
      This is what I find a bit confusing about Comolli's job

You say he operates the same as Rafa did, if it was Rafas job then, shouldn't it be Kennys job now ? If you are the boss, you should be the boss

Does Comolli have his own set of scouts ?

I know in Europe they have used Directors of Football for a long time but I am not sure it is right for us

I try to imagining what Shanks would say if he was asked to work with a Director of Football, it would not be very polite I am sure of that
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #452: Jan 07, 2012 03:29:50 am
      Does Comolli have his own set of scouts ?

Yes and that was what I meant about Rafa, he has scouts and contacts all over the world.

Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #453: Jan 07, 2012 03:53:03 am
      Yes and that was what I meant about Rafa, he has scouts and contacts all over the world.

He will have contacts all over the world but I am sure these contacts will talk to a lot of people about up and coming players, where as Liverpool's scouts wont go telling other teams about players they like

It is possible that some of these contacts have now become scouts for Liverpool

Shouldn't Rodolfo Borrell try and find the talent ?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #454: Jan 07, 2012 03:57:56 am
      Shouldn't Rodolfo Borrell try and find the talent ?

Shouldn't he get on with his job of coaching the reserve team?
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #455: Jan 07, 2012 04:12:38 am
      Shouldn't he get on with his job of coaching the reserve team?
      I was just wondering if it was him who found the young players which went into the Barca set up in there early teens. I.E Messi
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #456: Jan 07, 2012 06:37:49 am
      You say he operates the same as Rafa did, if it was Rafas job then, shouldn't it be Kennys job now ? If you are the boss, you should be the boss

Kenny has been quoted more than once saying that he prefers to leave that side of the job to someone else and has likened Comolli's role to that of Peter Robinson when he was last here as manager.

I'm not sure what your problem is with Comolli is as it'd hardly having a detrimental affect on the club and everyone involved appears to be mote than happy with what he does.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #457: Jan 07, 2012 09:45:12 am
      I think people underestimate all the work he did in getting players out of the club and reducing the wage bill.

We may have overpaid on a few transfers, but in the same breath we got some absolute f**king steals.

Noticed a few posts with abit of ill feeling towards him recently, abit miffed as to why.

Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #458: Jan 07, 2012 09:51:38 am
      Kenny has been quoted more than once saying that he prefers to leave that side of the job to someone else and has likened Comolli's role to that of Peter Robinson when he was last here as manager.

I'm not sure what your problem is with Comolli is as it'd hardly having a detrimental affect on the club and everyone involved appears to be mote than happy with what he does.
      I don't have a problem with Comolli and I hope he is a big success at LFC but I still find it a bit confusing a why he is needed, I mean shouldn't Ian Ayre be doing what Peter Robinson use to do ?

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #459: Jan 07, 2012 09:58:05 am
      I don't have a problem with Comolli and I hope he is a big success at LFC but I still find it a bit confusing a why he is needed, I mean shouldn't Ian Ayre be doing what Peter Robinson use to do ?

Football is completely different now to what it was then mate as a business model that is, Ayre is trying to expand the business comercially so we can catch up with the likes of the Mancs, where we've been lagging for the best part of two decades.

Quick Reply