Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Damien Comolli confirmed as Director of Football.

Read 42569 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Damien Comolli confirmed as Director of Football.
      Reply #460: Jan 07, 2012 09:59:27 am
      We can all jump on everyone.

I did it on Downing.

We are as impatient as anyone. We need a season under our belt.

Downing   Shelvey and Carroll all did "Firsts" against Oldham last night.

So that goes for Clarke Comolli and Kenny.

We know what we would all like (1st) and what we need ( 2nd 3rd 4th) so lets get a goal scorer. The rest is OK. Lets get that CL place and finish above the Mancs.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #461: Jan 07, 2012 10:30:39 am
      Jury is still out.

As pointed out the only fact is that he done a great job in getting rid of dead wood.

Whether or not the signings he was involved in are to be a success is still unknown as we are just about half way through the new management's first, full season.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #462: Jan 10, 2012 10:34:42 am
      When I look at this logically:

* I think it's safe to say that Damien Comolli does not have the final say on who we sign. I think that it's beyond reasonable doubt Kenny has that veto.

* I also believe it's safe to say that Damien Comolli does not have control over any purse strings at Anfield; much less the transfer kitty.

Having accepted that it's very likely that the above are accurate; logic dictates that Damien Comolli can not be blamed for either who Kenny signs or how much the Club is willing to pay.

He is, however, a very convenient scapegoat for those afraid to come straight out and attack what they really see as Kenny's "bad" signings. Which leads us on...

Surely we have the mental maturity to accept the following:

* Every manager/every Club, since 1885, has had a mixed bag in terms of transfer success. Some players hit the ground running and are an instant hit; some are 'slow burners' and some, for whatever reason, never work out. Our managers/our Club is no different in that respect.

* Every manager/every Club, since 1885, has tried to mitigate the chances of failure in the transfer market by either paying big for big names or looking to sign players proven in whichever league the manager/Club operate in but no one 'method' has more success than the other. There is no magic formula by which a manager/a Club can guarantee the success of a new signing. Our managers/our Club is no different in that respect.

* None of us, whether we choose to believe it or not, could operate at a better level than every manager/ every Club in the history of football. This is real life not some virtual world played out behind a keyboard or control pad. We have no power over either who the manger/Club signs or how much they pay.

Now, having accepted that these statements hold to be true, one must accept that to apportion blame is futile; to get angry about a player's cost is pointless and to work yourself into a froth about a player we may never sign, for a fee we may never pay - immature.  :-\
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #463: Jan 10, 2012 10:35:55 am
      When I look at this logically:

* I think it's safe to say that Damien Comolli does not have the final say on who we sign. I think that it's beyond reasonable doubt Kenny has that veto.

* I also believe it's safe to say that Damien Comolli does not have control over the purse strings at Anfield when it comes to transfers.

Having accepted that it's very likely that the above are accurate; logic dictates that Damien Comolli can not be blamed for either who Kenny signs or how much the Club is willing to pay.

He is, however, a very convenient scapegoat for those afraid to come straight out and attack what they really see as Kenny's "bad" signings. Which leads us on...

Surely we have the mental maturity to accept the following:

* Every manager/every Club, since 1885, has had a mixed bag in terms of transfer success. Some players hit the ground running and are an instant hit; some are 'slow burners' and some, for whatever reason, never work out. Our managers/our Club is no different in that respect.

* Every manager/every Club, since 1885, has tried to mitigate the chances of failure in the transfer market by either paying big for big names or looking to sign players proven in whichever league the manager/Club operate in but no one 'method' has more success than the other. There is no magic formula by which a manager/a Club can guarantee the success of a new signing. Our managers/our Club is no different in that respect.

* None of us, whether we choose to believe it or not, could operate at a better level than every manager/ every Club in the history of football. This is real life not some virtual world played out behind a keyboard or control pad. We have no power over either who the manger/Club signs or how much they pay.

Now, having accepted that these statements hold to be true, one must accept that to apportion blame is futile; to get angry about a player's cost is pointless and to work yourself into a froth about a player we may never sign, for a fee we may never pay - immature.  :-\

Ah yes but Newcastle got Ba on a free so you must be wrong.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #464: Jan 10, 2012 10:37:34 am
      Ah yes but Newcastle got Ba on a free so you must be wrong.

;D

kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #465: Feb 27, 2012 12:19:37 pm
      'We already know that there are big players who want to join us next summer because they believe in the project,' Comolli told Sky Sports.

'Everybody in Europe knows what Liverpool football club are trying to do.

'Obviously the fact that we’re back playing in Europe and we’ve won the trophy, it’s all positive things.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2107067/Liverpool-entice-Europes-elite-Carling-Cup-win-says-Damien-Comolli.html#ixzz1naF3F9jl

I wonder who these "big players" are...

good to see he is working hard for the summer!
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #466: Feb 27, 2012 12:28:28 pm
      Similar to what he said prior to last summer. Champions league or not has to be extremely busy in summer.  And i hope we have a different transfer policy from last summer
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #467: Feb 27, 2012 12:40:50 pm
      Looking forward to the summer... Hopefully a couple of real top class players are heading our way..
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #468: Feb 27, 2012 12:47:33 pm
      'We already know that there are big players who want to join us next summer because they believe in the project,' Comolli told Sky Sports.

'Obviously the fact that we’re back playing in Europe and we’ve won the trophy, it’s all positive things.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2107067/Liverpool-entice-Europes-elite-Carling-Cup-win-says-Damien-Comolli.html#ixzz1naF3F9jl

On the back of our first trophy in six years; you've just got to welcome that news in a positive light... don't you?  8)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #469: Feb 28, 2012 07:44:26 am

On the back of our first trophy in six years; you've just got to welcome that news in a positive light... don't you?  8)
      The only way to go mate being positive is so good to see.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #470: Feb 28, 2012 09:00:40 am
      Interesting that Damien has stated that there are big name players very much aware of the project, we have no reason to disbelieve him and it looks like he has been very busy sussing out players who will fit the criteria needed, no one will have any idea who these players are, obviously only DC and Kenny have discussed what is required and maybe even who, also the owners will have a huge influence in how much the transfer kitty is likely to be, and with no bought in the winter window it could mean Kenny has a sizeable amount to spend,

wouldn't it be brilliant if the kitty was around £50-£60m, if so we would be able to bid for the likes of Hazard, Cavani etc, i honestly believe next season could be our season, we are not to far away from a all out challenge for no 19, we are in a false position imo, hitting the woodwork as much as we have has cost us at least 9pts,points that would take us into the top 3 with many more to get,

we have had alot of bad luck this season, and thats the way it goes, thats football, so i cant wait to see who is brought in during the summer, 3-4 top signings and 2-3 brought in from the ressies will bolster the squad no end,

we will probably lose some well known faces at the same time,possibly Maxi, Kuyt, Aurelio,Bellers, Doni,

i think DC has done a fantastic job thus far, Kenny seems happy enough and that is good enough for me, we have a fantastic behind the scenes team and a million miles better than what went before, well done to all concerned.

IKWT      IDCWT      YNWA
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6728 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #471: Feb 28, 2012 10:54:39 am
      Loved the way he hugged Luis. Shows total faith and support for the lad. Long may it continue.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #472: Mar 02, 2012 01:02:19 pm
      Saying today there wont be the same level of activity or money spent in the transfer market this summer.
      liverpaulhowes
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 67 posts |
      Reply #473: Mar 02, 2012 01:44:35 pm
      Saying today there wont be the same level of activity or money spent in the transfer market this summer.

This is of huge concern. Both with regards to the way we will be on the field & what lack of commitment and investment is forthcomming from our owners. I suspected all along that the new owners wouldn't be quite so money happy as some thought. Where is the money going if we don't spend £40m or £50M this summer? We have earnt that as a club through various channels, if its not spent on players then where is it? Thats without Henry and Co even dipping into their pockets or borrowing money. I feel our owners are quite simply paying themselves back with money made by our club. It is no different to owing money to a bank in reality. This is what it will seem to me unless we invest again this summer.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #474: Mar 02, 2012 01:49:33 pm
      This is of huge concern. Both with regards to the way we will be on the field & what lack of commitment and investment is forthcomming from our owners. I suspected all along that the new owners wouldn't be quite so money happy as some thought. Where is the money going if we don't spend £40m or £50M this summer? We have earnt that as a club through various channels, if its not spent on players then where is it? Thats without Henry and Co even dipping into their pockets or borrowing money. I feel our owners are quite simply paying themselves back with money made by our club. It is no different to owing money to a bank in reality. This is what it will seem to me unless we invest again this summer.

It could of course just be smart business not to run all over the press saying we have sh*t load of cash to spend on players this summer so that selling clubs go.. Mmmm put the price up on that player me thinks..

And of course there is a stadium to think about. Money has to be found for that.

Don't see the point of judging the owners in March on what they could potentially be doing or not doing in July and August.
      liverpaulhowes
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 67 posts |
      Reply #475: Mar 02, 2012 01:54:58 pm
      It could of course just be smart business not to run all over the press saying we have sh*t load of cash to spend on players this summer so that selling clubs go.. Mmmm put the price up on that player me thinks..

And of course there is a stadium to think about. Money has to be found for that.

Don't see the point of judging the owners in March on what they could potentially be doing or not doing in July and August.

Doesn't seem to effect other clubs, so why should it us? Persoanlly I like things done behind closed doors. I'd rather hear nothing than be told we are or arent going to spend.

The stadium? So many views on that. I am not convinced at all.

I'm only judging on whats been said & whats happening. I wasn't convinced when they took the club over & I'm still not. Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not moaning about our plight & our current position is great compared to the era just gone. Very happy with some of the progress made, but for the club I love I want more  :)
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #476: Mar 02, 2012 01:59:55 pm
      Doesn't seem to effect other clubs, so why should it us? Persoanlly I like things done behind closed doors. I'd rather hear nothing than be told we are or arent going to spend.

The stadium? So many views on that. I am not convinced at all.

I'm only judging on whats been said & whats happening. I wasn't convinced when they took the club over & I'm still not. Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not moaning about our plight & our current position is great compared to the era just gone. Very happy with some of the progress made, but for the club I love I want more  :)

What clubs? How many clubs don't care about how much they pay for players? 2 or 3 around the world?

We all want more but I'd rather us be run right than being artificially ran.. I'd rather do what we do with substance and let the others do what they do.

Something needs to be said on the stadium soon... They seem to be going about it the right way for me.. Let's get a sound decision made for the club before any promises are made.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #477: Mar 02, 2012 04:07:17 pm
      You see very few other top clubs trying to dampen down transfer expectations this early, the team is badly lacking quality, that needs to be addressed in the Summer
      redstuart1971
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts |
      Reply #478: Mar 02, 2012 04:16:36 pm
      The stadium is a major factor in pushing our club forward and I wonder when we will here anything.
      I assume the owners are checking out every possible option, but I personaly think a new staduim will be built
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #479: Mar 02, 2012 04:31:23 pm
      You see very few other top clubs trying to dampen down transfer expectations this early, the team is badly lacking quality, that needs to be addressed in the Summer

You see very few clubs discussing transfers this early, full stop.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #480: Mar 02, 2012 04:34:51 pm
      Exactly so why are we.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #481: Mar 02, 2012 04:43:54 pm

Who says we're are?  Looks like standard replies to press questions to me.

Seen other similar things from other teams, don't read anything into them. 

Be like January, don't know why everyone bothers to get worked up, linked to every Tom, Dick & Harry because the press ain't got a scooby.

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #482: Mar 02, 2012 04:53:16 pm
      I havent name me a club that has said dont expect many players coming in in the Summer and much expenditure in the summer. Dunno why Comoli is talking to the press about this. All is does is dampen down fans expectations

Quick Reply