Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your man of the match v Napoli?

Kyrgiakos
      (2%)
      Spearing
      (3.3%)
      Johnson
      (0.7%)
      Gerrard
      (92.8%)
      Ngog
      (1.3%)

Liverpool 3-1 Napoli: In-game & post-match Stevie Glee

Read 75432 times
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Re: Liverpool v Napoli - LIVE
      Reply #713: Nov 04, 2010 10:16:15 pm
      The first half was atrocious. Never want to see that again.

Second half was Stevie G half. Came and completely won the game single handedly. Could watch that hat-trick over and over again.

In the end, from thinking we'd lost the game and expecting no sings of improvement i'm extremely relieved to get the 3 points.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #714: Nov 04, 2010 10:17:03 pm
      Chuffed that we won (of course! ;) )

Although i wouldnt give any credit to Roy- NONE WHAT SO-EVER;
      Gerrard has been playing like that no matter who the manager- and single-handedly saved roys arse tonight!

Well in to Spearing & Lucas for their help with the goals, Johnson looks like he may have found some form again.. a few positives to take from tonight as always!
      Lenchy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 311 posts | -7 
      Reply #715: Nov 04, 2010 10:18:22 pm
      Wasn't poor second half mate. They didn't have the ball in our half. We didn't create a lot but we hel the ball and pressed high, the first goal being the prime example.
      I see where you're coming from.
      Overall though, on balance I still thought it was a fairly poor performance throughout.
      If it wasn't for Gerrard, who has again saved our arse, who else would have? We looked lacklustre and void of ideas.

Its like I'm coming across as a moody git. I can assure you I'm not, I'm quite happy. I just dont want to get carried away.  ???
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #716: Nov 04, 2010 10:20:15 pm
      Chuffed that we won (of course! ;) )

Although I wouldnt give any credit to Roy- NONE WHAT SO-EVER;
      Gerrard has been playing like that no matter who the manager- and single-handedly saved roys arse tonight!

Well in to Spearing & Lucas for their help with the goals, Johnson looks like he may have found some form again.. a few positives to take from tonight as always!

So much for my 10-0 prediction ;)
      TartanRed
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 205 posts |
      • Shankly! Shankly!
      Reply #717: Nov 04, 2010 10:21:26 pm
      Pretty shocking 1st half about the only good thing was Mrs Henry.  :)

2nd half: Much better, that's what happens when you try pressing and attacking.

Hopefully, Mr Henry knows what to do.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #718: Nov 04, 2010 10:21:27 pm
      Save it for Chelsea :P
      wengitari
      • Banned

• 80 posts |
      Reply #719: Nov 04, 2010 10:24:27 pm
      Excellent! Well done lads! Well done Roy! Spot on with the tactics again tonight!

3 wins on the bounce... some people will never be happy though.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #720: Nov 04, 2010 10:24:48 pm
      Let's not be blinded here.

That game and performance was dross with the exception of Gerrard who came in and single handedly grabbed the game by the bollocks and turned it around.

Despite 3 wins on the trot Roy Hodgson need to go.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #721: Nov 04, 2010 10:26:00 pm

That game and performance was dross with the exception of Gerrard who came in and single handedly grabbed the game by the bollocks and turned it around.

Agreed!
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #722: Nov 04, 2010 10:26:01 pm
      First half was apalling, we sat deep (AGAIN) and let them look like the home side.  Second half was better, if not more 'wing-less' than the first.  If it wasn't for Johnson, I don't think we would have had any width at all (thought he played well).

Not a classic, but a win is a win and I hope the manner of the win makes Roy realise he cannot keep imposing his Fulham tactics on us and making us look like the lesser team.

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #723: Nov 04, 2010 10:26:09 pm

My thoughts exactly.

A win doesn't change the fact he isn't the right man for the job.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #724: Nov 04, 2010 10:26:28 pm
      Excellent! Well done lads! Well done Roy! Spot on with the tactics again tonight!
      :lmao:
      Gerrard saved his arse fella.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #725: Nov 04, 2010 10:26:35 pm
      Yes it was a great win thanks to S.G. Hodgson brought nothing to the game at all.
      He hasn't a clue. Any team that can put on a player like S.G. to break it up will come
      good most times. Hat-trick every time obviously not but to mix it up & spread the play
      bring in players create chances yes.
      Having a moron on the sidelines thinking hes a genius for not starting such a player is
      not even an excuse of a manager.
      Why did he need his best player to come on for the second half to change it around?
      Start strong get ahead,secure the win ,be as fresh as can be for Sunday.
      Not woy. Arse about tit are his tactics. 
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #726: Nov 04, 2010 10:26:42 pm

WUM!

F**k off!
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      Reply #727: Nov 04, 2010 10:27:55 pm

Is this for real lad's
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: Liverpool 3-1 Napoli: In-game & post-match Stevie Glee
      Reply #728: Nov 04, 2010 10:29:36 pm

Ha.

Haha.

Piss off.

I got called into work for the second-half, so missed the hat-trick.

Hoping to catch the highlights, though. Might buy my eST back.
      Ann_Field
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts |
      Reply #729: Nov 04, 2010 10:29:46 pm

Are you on a wind up ?  
      Well done Roy???   for what???  
      wengitari
      • Banned

• 80 posts |
      Reply #730: Nov 04, 2010 10:30:40 pm
      If Rafa had done this... we would have endless praised his name (and some still do even when he loses to Spurs)

Some here have an agenda against Roy and hate to see him doing well.  I'm sorry, but 3 wins on the bounce = credit to Roy.

The simple equation is this... team loses = Roy Out.  Team wins = Roy Out.  Insane.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      Reply #731: Nov 04, 2010 10:32:10 pm
      Are you on a wind up ? 
      Well done Roy???   for what??? 
      im thinking''wengitari'' could the name be a give a way for a hidden ''gooner''fan?
      wengitari
      • Banned

• 80 posts |
      Reply #732: Nov 04, 2010 10:33:29 pm
      im thinking''wengitari'' could the name be a give a way for a hidden ''gooner''fan?

why?
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #733: Nov 04, 2010 10:33:40 pm
      If Rafa had done this... we would have endless praised his name (and some still do even when he loses to Spurs)

Some here have an agenda against Roy and hate to see him doing well.  I'm sorry, but 3 wins on the bounce = credit to Roy.

The simple equation is this... team loses = Roy Out.  Team wins = Roy Out.  Insane.

Think there's a bit more to it than that fella.  It's the tactics, the lack of width, the press conferences, the telling world class players to be more English....... and so on.
      Ann_Field
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts |
      Reply #734: Nov 04, 2010 10:33:48 pm

Some here have an agenda against Roy and hate to see him doing well.  I'm sorry, but 3 wins on the bounce = credit to Roy.

The simple equation is this... team loses = Roy Out.  Team wins = Roy Out.  Insane.

You cant begin to compare   'Our Rafa'  with this idiot,  ??? ???   sooner he goes the better
      Rock N Redzer
      • Banned

• 108 posts |
      Reply #735: Nov 04, 2010 10:33:48 pm
      Alan Hansen commented that we have too many players that look good when the going is good but when we're up against it we're relyant on one or two. Tonights game only cemmented his comments as pretty much fact.

Take nothing away from Gerrard that was truly inspirational stuff from the Liverpool captain it really was.

Yet it shouldn't take away the fact that Roy is out of his depth tactically at LFC with the first half highlighting this and it shouldn't take away the fact we have too many players who are not able to work as a team and dig themselves out of the s.hit. And this isn't all Roy's doing I'm afraid it's been this way for a while but with him in charge we look even more desperate for someone like Gerrard or Nando to pull the team through.

I hope Henry wasn't fooled by the result in the end, as a new man to football it could be quite easily perceived that he is now caught up in the euphoria of the win and loses focus over the fact that Gerrard has papered over the cracks.

My player ratings:

Reina 6 - Was kept busy in the first half and did well, he couldn't have done much more about Napoli's goal and was a virtual spectator in the second half.

Johnson 6 - Didn't have a good first half (like many of his teamates) looked a little low on confidence at first. Perhaps could have attacked Poosen's assist better for their goal when the ball was on the bounce. Second half he was better as he was the only player in our side to offer genuine width and ran at their defence.

Carragher 6 - When the chips were down in the first half he looked to knock it long too often for my liking. Defensively was solid and never really put a foot wrong, made a very good challenge in the second half.

Soto -7 Pretty solid throughout, had a couple of positional moments of adversary in the first half but never really put a foot wrong. He looked composed in defence and solid in the tackle. He is a real goal threat from set-pieces too, something we've lack in recent years, though I hope Roy doesn't rely on this kind of gameplan to win us matches because we're unable to play football. Soto's threat should be treated as a bonus because that is what it is.

Konchesky- 6 Sturdy game defensively, I don't remember the bald fella doing too much wrong in this aspect of his game, though there is certainly room for improvement regarding his passing, doesn't offer a great deal of threat down the flank like Johnson but can whip in a cross or two. He did okay for me tonight.

Shelvey- 5 It's the first time Jonjo has dissapointed me in a red shirt I thought he had quite a poor game by his set standards, his passing was wayward which didn't help when we needed to build up attacks.

Spearing - 5 Him and Poosen were dicated to in the first half by Napoli's midfield, in the second half he showed that he didn't have what it takes to 'step up' and take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Poosen - 5 Didn't help Spearing even with all that experience and arguably made life hard for Spearing and his teamates, wasteful in possesion and constantly looked to play sunday league balls over the top from to n'gog only to conceed possesion. His biggest contribution to the game was the helping hand he had in their goal.

Meireles - 4 For me this bloke was the biggest dissapointment of the night (even worse than Poosen!). His touch was dreadful it really was and he was wasteful in possesion, not one of his better nights. He is exactly the kind of player we need to spark inspiration into the team when Gerrard or Torres aren't playing, instead he inspired frustration.

N'gog - 5 When a side like we are at the moment isn't producing enough chances it's imperative your strikers take what opportunities come along, he had at least two good chances, one in the first half where he should have used his left foot when through on goal, and the second half chance where Meireles played it back to him. Continues to frustrate, not good enough although his service at times was non-exsistant.

Gerrard - 9 You really couldn't ask him to do more in 45 minutes of football, legend, footballing genius are terms to be associated with him and his performance tonight.

Lucas - 6 Did well and showed tenacity for Gerrards third goal.

Eccleston - 6 Did quite well considering and actually looked to take a man on.

Note: I think Hodgson has 'limelight syndrome' where because he is now manager of a big club he can rest his star players like the other top sides. But when he does this only serious questions are asked, he's never had the opportunity or luxury of resting players like Nando, and on current for he still doesn't have that luxury. Torres should have at least been on the bench tonight, I would have started him and played him for 60 mins and then brought Gerrard on in the second half, so both got a game. Good knows Torres needs the confidence to his game right now and if the chances N'gog had fell to Torres it may have been the perfect tonic to get his confidence up. Instead Roy left him out, and when N'gog got the knock he could oly bring on another surprise surprise ... central midfielder, if that doesnt show a lack of planning and forethought into his selections I don't know what will.

Quick Reply