Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Is it right to discuss or just disgusting?

Read 1207 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Is it right to discuss or just disgusting?
      Nov 05, 2010 03:04:53 pm
      Not sure if this is the right place to post this, as it's on Liverpool and yet not.

Over the year I've been on this site now, I've noticed that several subjects, which are sore points with some people have had the words, or at least implied that, we shouldn't be discussing this subject, X is a legend, or this is taboo - or something along these lines.  And I've come to question why.  Why can't we say things about certain players, legendary or not - though I've always though a players legend status is usually a personal thing, although we've had a few over the years that are undeniably legends of our club.

The reason I ask why is, years ago, before 't'internet', these things were still discussed, usually over a jar or two in the local. In fact, apart from the local gossip, when I went to my grandad's working mens club on a Saturday evening or Sunday lunchtime (a men only place - women were at home, cooking the roast), football was usually the only discussion point.  I remember being engrossed in listening to these wizened old timers, talking about players I considered heroes in sometimes less than glowing terms & relished the times I was able to join in, because I'd got to go.  But no one ever said a topic shouldn't be discussed - the instigator may have been called a few 'colourful metaphors', but they still talked about it.  And this wasn't just on the field stuff, rumours were discussed too. 

Maybe it's just the medium in which we discuss them then, it is an open forum and maybe that's what people find offensive.  But to me, this is just an extension of those old pub chats, no topic is off the table.  But I suppose, unlike back then, we don't know who is listening in and I doubt it's a kid, engrossed in the conversation, hoping one of the old timers will let him have a sup of his ale or buy him a pack of scratchings.

Quick Reply