Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Peter Crouch (Tottenham Hotspur)

Read 4788 times
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Peter Crouch (Tottenham Hotspur)
      Nov 05, 2010 05:13:07 am
      http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/liverpool-prepare-to-launch-shock-bid-to-bring-bac

Liverpool are preparing an offer for former striker Peter Crouch as they plan to strengthen their squad with ā€˜five or sixā€™ new players, according to the Daily Star.

The former Fulham boss has admitted he is looking for many new players to add strength in depth to his squad and Crouch has emerged as a top target.

Another Ā£10 million striker Hodgson has been linked with recently is West Hamā€™s Carlton Cole, despite the fact he is currently second choice at Upton Park.

Crouch, who spent three disappointing years at Anfield between 2005-2008, moved to current employers Tottenham for Ā£9 million and has just eight league goals in 48 games ā€“ including the decisive goal last year that propelled the White Hart Lane club into the Champions League.

And now Hodgson has earmarked Crouch as Fernando Torresā€™ new understudy as he bids to breathe new life back into Liverpoolā€™s season after the Merseysiders started poorly.

Hodgson has identified the lack of strike options at Anfield as a potential problem and will look to rectify that in January.

ā€œIā€™m prepared to accept that a number of players weā€™re looking to sign do make five or six ā€“ but I donā€™t wish to specify positions other than one is obviously a front player,ā€ the Anfield gaffer said.

ā€œIn January we should be really looking to solve one or two situations. We are desperately short of players. Front players. Having three front players at the club, and thatā€™s if you include Ryan Babel, is nowhere near good enough.

ā€œIf Fernando isnā€™t playing one week, you have got to get someone in who has got the same level of quality.ā€

What do you think? Peter Crouch??
      Stevie-G-
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 169 posts |
      Re: Peter Crouch (Tottenham Hotspur)
      Reply #1: Nov 05, 2010 06:26:03 am
      Will offer us something different, I feel its a good option if the price is right. But only if the price is right, id say about 7 million would be good but nothing over it.Would he come back to us is a different question though? It will always be in his mind that maybe he still wont get football week in week out.Hodgson might offer him that be he himself might not even be here that long.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2: Nov 05, 2010 09:45:33 am
      Been discussed many times, and alot of us would welcome him back with open arms.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #3: Nov 05, 2010 09:59:18 am
      Would welcome him back in a flash, IMO never should of got rid but I understand the circumstances.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #4: Nov 05, 2010 10:13:07 am
      How many times have you watched a cross come hurtling over everyone's heads and thought "F**k me Crouchie would have popped that in".
      I'm not talking about our much loved mod of course but the friendly giant who was always there with his head in the clouds when you needed him.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2780 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #5: Nov 05, 2010 10:21:59 am
      3 disappointing years?

Anyway wouldnt think twice about taking him back loved him
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #6: Nov 05, 2010 10:57:56 am
      How many times have you watched a cross come hurtling over everyone's heads and thought "f**k me Crouchie would have popped that in".

Not that many times really... we don't tend to cross the ball a great deal and Crouch is not that good in the air, he is much better with the ball even though he looks like a gangly uncoordinated spider when he has it.

Would like to have him back at Ā£10m.  However, I don't see why Spurs would let him go - or why he'd want to leave.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #7: Nov 05, 2010 11:15:05 am
      Not that many times really... we don't tend to cross the ball a great deal and Crouch is not that good in the air, he is much better with the ball even though he looks like a gangly uncoordinated spider when he has it.

Would like to have him back at Ā£10m.  However, I don't see why Spurs would let him go - or why he'd want to leave.
      Well I saw two instances last night where a perfectly executed corner was missed for the want of a few extra inches, nobody is claiming Crouch is the Red Baron of football but obviously a height advantage in the right situation is worth a few goals on the score sheet.
      Spurs wouldn't let him go as you point out and the lad is virtually assured first team status which he was not at Anfield.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #8: Nov 05, 2010 11:24:00 am
      Please! I'd finally stop looking like a dickhead with my username! :D
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • Ā© Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #9: Nov 05, 2010 11:26:52 am

Don't worry mate, you'll still look like a dickhead for lots of other reasons! ;)

:D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #10: Nov 05, 2010 11:31:59 am
      How'd i know that'd be the next comment :D

But seriously...!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #11: Nov 05, 2010 12:42:29 pm
      He never linked up well with Torres, and would only be good as backup.

That's the reason he left in the first place - looking for regular football -, why would he want to come back then?

I always liked Crouch and he would undoubtly add quality to our squad but I find it odd how he's suddenly become a solution to our problems since he left - something he never was while he was here.

I think many people overreact while judging his 3 years at the club (although calling it "3 disappointing years" is rubbish), he was good but never great, and I can't see him being any more than a bench warmer for Torres.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #12: Nov 05, 2010 01:39:28 pm

I know how you feel...
      Alicus
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 15 
      Reply #13: Nov 05, 2010 09:58:18 pm
      Peter Crouch?

No thanks.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #14: Nov 05, 2010 11:05:47 pm
      We need to move on from ex players if we are gonna progress, the money would be better spent on a younger player.

Crouchy served his time with and we need to look to the future.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #15: Nov 06, 2010 11:47:30 pm
      Crouch doesn't fit in to our system.

We desperately need a striker but we need one who can provide cover for Torres.  We need to be aiming a little higher than Cole or Crouch.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,729 posts | 6713 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #16: Nov 07, 2010 01:26:41 am

We desperately need a striker but we need one who can provide cover for Torres.  We need to be aiming a little higher than Cole or Crouch.

Not many higher than Crouch mate.  ;)
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 2810 
      Reply #17: Nov 07, 2010 01:31:13 am

Don't agree with that system part. If we play one up top and Torres is out then I'm confident Crouch could fill in. Just look at how he's doing with Van Der Vaart behind him at Spurs.

Saying that thought I think we shouldn't go back down this route. He's on the old side and also I doubt he'd come here to sit on the bench. But I have no idea which striker is good enough and ticks the boxes but is also willing to sit on the bench.

Quick Reply