Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

39th Prem league game

Read 4915 times
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      39th Prem league game
      Nov 05, 2010 03:33:57 pm
      Not really sure how this will work but from BBC:

FOOTBALL:Liverpool co-owner Tom Werner raises prospect of a Premier League '39th game' played abroad

Its along the ticker on the top so not to many details at the moment.......

How would this actually work?

The NFL play 1 game at Wembley each year so would this work the same?  ???

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Re: 39th Prem league game
      Reply #1: Nov 05, 2010 04:28:17 pm
      Not really sure how this will work but from BBC:

FOOTBALL:Liverpool co-owner Tom Werner raises prospect of a Premier League '39th game' played abroad

Its along the ticker on the top so not to many details at the moment.......

How would this actually work?

The NFL play 1 game at Wembley each year so would this work the same?  ???

That is until he mentions it and receives nothing but grief.

Leave well alone Mr Werner!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2: Nov 05, 2010 05:25:47 pm
      Ok here is the artical

Liverpool co-owner Tom Werner backs game 39 proposal
      Liverpool co-owner Tom Werner wants to revive the idea of playing a competitive Premier League game abroad.

The so-called '39th game' was first proposed in February 2008 but stalled after meeting opposition from clubs, fans and world governing body Fifa.

But Werner, who will succeed Martin Broughton as the club's chairman, is a fan of the concept.

"Pre-season matches are great but why not have an actual match in season," Werner told BBC Sport.

Playing a competitive match abroad could help clubs cash in on television markets in overseas territories where the Premier League is popular, like Asia and the United States.

"I think first of all the Premier League is the strongest league in the world and its reach is global," added Werner.

"It's been very impressive to me, the number of people globally who watch and we hope to expand that imprint.

"I think the more important the game the more excitement."

British Airways chairman Broughton was appointed in April to oversee the sale of the club, a process which concluded in October when Werner and John Henry's New England Sports Ventures bought Liverpool for £300m.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9163015.stm

It ain't gonna happen.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #3: Nov 05, 2010 05:39:16 pm
      I think this is a useless idea.

I mean, I know many of us outside UK and Europe, including myself, would love to see the football giants in our own backyard but other than that and the reason of increasing revenue at both ends, I don't see the point.

Leave the 38 games in the league because all teams play each other twice, home and away and that's fair. Imagine if Man United and us are tied on match day 38 and the 39th game shows - Liverpool vs Chelsea in Malaysia and Man United vs West Ham United in Germany.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #4: Nov 05, 2010 06:12:55 pm
      A 39th game will never happen.

One of the 38 games played abroad? Very possibly.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5: Nov 05, 2010 07:35:44 pm

Again no. Who are the teams that are going to loose a home game and all the advantages that brings.

It "works" in the NFL because money talks, and the teams do what the owners say, and the fans have no power or the "Franchise" will move to another City.
      « Last Edit: Nov 05, 2010 08:16:25 pm by RedPuppy »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #6: Nov 05, 2010 08:13:12 pm
      No no no no no.

And no. On both accounts. 38 games, split between home and away. Keep it that way - and i say that as a fan who would love to see Liverpool overseas. But thats just for pre-season, i don't wanna see any games that mean something played anywhere but where they are meant to.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,226 posts | 918 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #7: Nov 06, 2010 06:55:01 pm

Yes and F**k the fans
      Chach
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #8: Nov 06, 2010 07:11:48 pm
      Instead of a 39th prem league game why not have the final of the fa or carling cup abroad if nt the community shield not prem league games it wont work
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #9: Nov 06, 2010 07:14:35 pm
      Again no. Who are the teams that are going to loose a home game and all the advantages that brings.

It would either be one game a year and you lose a home game every other year on a twice-yearly cycle, or just two games a year, everyone loses a home game that way.  Not saying I like it, but it might happen
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,295 posts | 764 
      Reply #10: Nov 06, 2010 07:20:29 pm
      I do not like the idea of any PL games being played abroad, the supporters must always come first.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #11: Nov 06, 2010 07:28:44 pm
      I don't like the idea at all but to avoid complaints about Man U having an easy game and us a hard game the rules would need to be made clear at the start of the season. eg
      The fixtures are arranged so that all teams have played each other after 19 games. After these and only these games have been played we have a mid-season positions then the match abroad is top v bottom in eg Hong Kong, 2nd v second bottom in eg New York etc at pre-arranged venues.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #12: Nov 07, 2010 05:49:50 am
      Instead of a 39th prem league game why not have the final of the fa or carling cup abroad if nt the community shield not prem league games it wont work

The F***ing finals overseas?! Get fu**ed!
      Chach
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #13: Nov 07, 2010 09:17:24 am
      The f**king finals overseas?! Get fu**ed!

Well it is better then having a 39th prem league game, however wembley losing its appeal with having both semi finals of the fa cup there
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #14: Nov 07, 2010 11:37:09 am
      This was being shot down in flames by Liverpool fans before NESV came in, now that they suggest it it is a good idea. I personally am not impressed with the idea.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #15: Nov 07, 2010 01:02:26 pm
      The f**king finals overseas?! Get fu**ed!

To be honest mate the idea of the community shield overseas isn't a bad one IMO.

FA Cup, no way. Most famous knockout cup competition should never move from it's home.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,226 posts | 918 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #16: Nov 07, 2010 07:51:23 pm
      Instead of a 39Th pr em league game why not have the final of the fa or carling cup abroad if NT the community shield not pr em league games it wont work
      The FA cup has been messed about with enough this trophy has a lot of tradition to move it abroad would be crazy
      stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Reply #17: Nov 07, 2010 09:34:48 pm
      Would give all other teams an unfair advantage if two teams have to play a game abroad, the fans pay good money for season tickets to see all of their fixtures. the clubs shouldnt agree to this, who decides who and what teams play abroad? the more you think about this the less sence it makes. a deffo non starter in my book.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #18: Nov 07, 2010 10:02:03 pm
      Would give all other teams an unfair advantage if two teams have to play a game abroad, the fans pay good money for season tickets to see all of their fixtures. the clubs shouldnt agree to this, who decides who and what teams play abroad? the more you think about this the less sence it makes. a deffo non starter in my book.
      All teams would have to play abroad so it's the same for all. Fans who have paid for season tickets will not see a reduction in their games.
      stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Reply #19: Nov 07, 2010 10:22:24 pm
      So every team would loose a home game to keep it fair, which means you would have to loose an away game also. Which team would you loose your games to one of the top 4 or a bottom of the league team, who would decide? Would open a massive can of worms.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #20: Nov 07, 2010 10:36:37 pm
      There would be no home games lost. At present teams play 38 games. This 39th game would be in addition to the current fixture list.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #21: Nov 07, 2010 10:54:15 pm
      To be honest mate the idea of the community shield overseas isn't a bad one IMO.

FA Cup, no way. Most famous knockout cup competition should never move from it's home.

I just saw FA Cup and Carling and saw red mate :D

Honestly, i still don't think anything like that should be played overseas still. Again, this is what pre-season is for! I just can't see the point. The seasons i congested enough as it is, a flight outside of Europe for a competitive match makes no sense. Would just be another money grabbing exercise, and im sick of that in the game.
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #22: Nov 08, 2010 01:55:06 pm
      Terrible idea, Never liked it since it first came out as a proposal.
      stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Reply #23: Nov 08, 2010 07:32:47 pm
      As long as its Liverpool v Everton in Aberdeen that would suit me fine.
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #24: Nov 08, 2010 07:47:58 pm

Same here. haha.  :P
      stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Reply #25: Nov 08, 2010 09:49:23 pm
      ^ where is it youre from that a game at pittodrie would be good for you?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #26: Nov 09, 2010 01:35:34 pm

That game should never, ever be moved.

Home games against that shower and the manc cu*ts should always be played at Anfield.

KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #27: Nov 09, 2010 01:41:13 pm
      If, big if, it was to be brought in then it would have to be in mid-season.

Absolutely no way that teams should be playing for the title/european qualification/avoiding relegation infront of a crowd in Qatar or something like that. That would be awful.

Imagine it was brought in and we needed a win the last game to win #19, and we had to play in Montreal not England!

Quick Reply