Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

David Attenborough

Read 2308 times
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran
      • Started Topic

• 384 posts | 13 
      David Attenborough
      Nov 05, 2010 11:04:19 pm
      With a new series of his beginning tonight, thought I would open a thread on David Attenborough, and his great contribution to TV.

I grew up watch Attenborough's wildlife documentaries, and feel privileged doing so. So many highlights, the list is endless starting with Life On Earth, and a few years ago the stunning Planet Earth. The amazing thing is, each time you see one you think the next one cannot be bettered, then you see it, and change your mind.

I never considered myself, that fascinated with the sea or ocean, yet I remember watching The Blue Planet, and being spellbound, by the filming, particularly when they went to the bottom of the ocean, and all the strange, mad looking creatures emerged looking as though they'd come from the latest Hollywood blockbuster. The beautiful film of the Humpback whale with her calf, was stunning. Then horror, as they ran into a bunch of Killer Whales who began to attack the calf, as her mother bravely tried to battle with them. How I hated Killer Whales then! But then David, comes into his own, when explaining about nature tooth and claw.

The highlight to my eyes, was definatley Planet Earth, an absolutely stunning series. So many highlights, I could probalbly spend half the night listing.

Oh yes, and another highlight The Secret Life of Elephants, again never been that interested in Elephants before, but that series, opened my eyes again. The scene were the Elephants seemed to be mourning the death of one of their group was gut wrenching,  BBC television at its best, worth paying the license for alone.   

What is everyone else's highlight of David Attenborough moments? 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Re: David Attenborough
      Reply #1: Nov 05, 2010 11:10:53 pm
      I love Attenborough documenteries and there are too many good ones to have a clear favourite but I got Plane Earth on Bluray last Christmas and it is simply stunning. I'd watch it all before on TV but to see it with the quality picture really makes it special.

Favorite scene is the Great White. Although not nice to see it kill the Sealion it is a stunning piece of filming.

Planet Earth: Great white
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran
      • Started Topic

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #2: Nov 05, 2010 11:25:35 pm
      He did another documentary where the Killer Whales, were doing in the Sealions, had a young girl in tears it did! Also remember the Chimpanzees killing the Little Gibbons, which was absolutely heartbreaking. Nature tooth and claw as they say!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #3: Nov 05, 2010 11:28:51 pm
      Another good one which was more recent was Natures Greatest Events where he follows the salmon run up the river in North America.

Catch that one if you already haven't mate.
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran
      • Started Topic

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #4: Nov 05, 2010 11:31:06 pm
      That one is really good, can't believe I forgot about it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #5: Nov 05, 2010 11:36:03 pm
      That one is really good, can't believe I forgot about it.

Like you said you could be here all night listing favourites!!
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran
      • Started Topic

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #6: Nov 05, 2010 11:57:56 pm
      You're right there, but it's a great way to start the weekend. Going to look at a bit of Planet Earth now.
      « Last Edit: Nov 06, 2010 12:10:19 am by Red Kenny »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #7: Nov 07, 2010 01:09:20 am
      Excellent thread!

I'll have to have a think about what he's done. But I can confidently say right now that he's definitely one of my all time favourites from TV. The man is boss!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #8: Nov 07, 2010 02:04:18 am
      We've been blessed with some great naturalists on TV in this country over the years & while Attenborough is the king, the people who got me into nature programs were Chris Packham, Terry Nutkins & the still delectable Michaela Strachan. 

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #9: Nov 07, 2010 02:51:20 am
      Who hasn't grown up watching him and admiring him? He is a knight to our natural world.

He's not patronising like Bill Oddie (who to this day is about as naturalist as I am an F1 driver, no matter how hard he tries) and he's not in your face like those nobs on programmes like Countryfile (I know it's not overly stuffed with nature but it's still bloody irritiating. The man is quite simply perfect.

Quick Reply