Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

How much time should Rafa have been given?

Read 25207 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      How much time should Rafa have been given?
      Nov 08, 2010 07:18:20 pm
      I've been thinking about asking this question for a while now.

Since most Red's on this forum (and probably throughout the world) think that Rafa should be the manager, I pose the question " HOW MUCH MORE TIME DO YOU THINK RAFA SHOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN TO WIN THE LEAGUE TITLE?
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Re: How much time should Rafa have been given?
      Reply #1: Nov 08, 2010 07:19:55 pm
      This should be in the General Football Forum.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #2: Nov 08, 2010 07:21:27 pm
      Agree with Dmasta but...

I'm like to have seen him here for this season at least to see if he could turn around the 'blip' that was finishing 7th last time without H&G screwing him over. Even if we didn't win the title this season, as long as we were close and fighting for it, I would have been happy to give him next season as well. I think we'd have to win the title then, to be honest or most would lose patience.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3: Nov 08, 2010 07:23:10 pm
      Oh Christ, all in the past now.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #4: Nov 08, 2010 07:24:19 pm
      This should be in the General Football Forum.
      Pretty sure this is a LIVERPOOL related question ;D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #5: Nov 08, 2010 07:29:21 pm

Well lets just never talk about the 18 titles, the 5 European cups, Shankly, Kenny etc etc - after all, its in the past right?

FFS :roll:

I would have liked another year for the guy. If he had started off like Roy did, I would have been starting to say well maybe he needs to go just like I was Roy. I don't think he would have though.

EDIT: Saying that, think this discussion has happened before in various threads.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #6: Nov 08, 2010 07:29:42 pm
      Pretty sure this is a LIVERPOOL related question ;D

But (unfortunately) Rafa is no longer our manager so like it or not as Anny Rd says it's all in the past.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #7: Nov 08, 2010 07:29:53 pm
      I strongly believe Rafa would have redeemed himself if he had another season.

Now a sad minority only remember him for a 7th place finish.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #8: Nov 08, 2010 07:30:30 pm
      Sometimes I cant help but wonder how his overhaul of the youth system would have developed aligned with owners that allowed him to compete for his first choice signings. Then I realise it's game over and time to move on. Should have had another season. . . But life moves on. Personally I am looking forward to a transfer window where we have someone employed with the sole focus of recruitment. Makes a change from sell to buy
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9: Nov 08, 2010 07:34:25 pm
      I think 3 years under owners who invest accordingly in players and Rafa would have won the league without question, so I guess my answer would be three years.

At teh time of his sacking whilst H&G where in charge I believed he had earned teh benefit of the doubt for last years finish so thought he deserved at the very least another year.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #10: Nov 08, 2010 07:37:21 pm
      He deserved one more season, F**k sake anyone with common sense and is not part of the Sky generation could see that. Rafa didn't have a fit Torres all season last season.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #11: Nov 08, 2010 07:45:09 pm
      Lost faith in Rafa after we got 2nd in the league, that was a missed opportunity, a big one and we lost the league before Christmas. Man United managed to go to Japan and returned to cut our lead little by little convincingly. The 4 point different at the end of the season didn't tell the whole story. Spin it as one would like to, the truth was we didn't put them into trouble at all once they got the lead and started to open up a gap.

Having said that, I still wanted him to manage this season and to be fully supported by the owners (G&H). He deserves to get 100% backing for all the good he's given to us until he's proven being not capable (after 100% support of course). I think he should still be given at least this season with a full support.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #12: Nov 08, 2010 07:49:01 pm
      He deserved one more season, f**k sake anyone with common sense and is not part of the Sky generation could see that. Rafa didn't have a fit Torres all season last season.

Yes I agree, that was the problem last season and this is still our problem now. I think I have said it before, a team that depends on Torres only (to score goals) will go nowhere. Atlético de Madrid has done it before and now we seem to be following their foot steps. We need others to score goals, as Rafa used to say, but somehow we became dependent on Torres more and more.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #13: Nov 08, 2010 07:51:28 pm
      Yes I agree, that was the problem last season and this is still our problem now. I think I have said it before, a team that depends on Torres only (to score goals) will go nowhere. Atlético de Madrid has done it before and now we seem to be following their foot steps. We need others to score goals, as Rafa used to say, but somehow we became dependent on Torres more and more.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #14: Nov 08, 2010 07:53:35 pm
      Bull! United got 90 points that year, with Ronaldo and Tevez boosting their quality. Had we the kind of investment needed in forward players we would beaten more of the teams who sat back and fought for the points at Anfield that they readily surrendered at Old Trafford.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #15: Nov 08, 2010 07:54:08 pm
      Should of definitely been given another season.

John Henry would of loved a manager like Rafa at the helm, it's a shame.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #16: Nov 08, 2010 08:04:45 pm
      As long as he needed. Managers like Rafa dont grow on trees he wasnt properly funded or supported by the previous owners. he deserved to be shown some respect by the c**t who stabbed him in the back after all he had done for us which regardless of trophies and finals he gave us our respect back and people all over Europe feared us once again. Its as thought the anti Rafa brigade had erased from their memories all those nights.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4584 
      Reply #17: Nov 08, 2010 08:20:33 pm
      I think 3 years under owners who invest accordingly in players and Rafa would have won the league without question, so I guess my answer would be three years.

At teh time of his sacking whilst H&G where in charge I believed he had earned teh benefit of the doubt for last years finish so thought he deserved at the very least another year.

Agree with blood, with real investment and not working under any constraints like buy to sell policy,i would have given 3 more years and rafa would have delivered the leauge and made us 6 times european champions.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #18: Nov 08, 2010 08:23:53 pm
      At the very least he deserved another season.  I've not sen a valid argument anywhere suggesting he didn't.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #19: Nov 08, 2010 08:28:52 pm
      If it had been me he would have been given one more season. I was disappointed with his management last season. I thought he didn't do his best as manager and that certain powers had gone to his head. Also on Pellegrino - I'd make him tell me why he is better than previous assistant managers and that he wasn't there just to rubber stamp every decision Rafa made. I can't just make desperate excuses for him just because he was the voice of the fans.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #20: Nov 08, 2010 08:33:41 pm
      Think a lot of opinions on this are scattered throughout the forum. Just a quick search will give you all the answers you need.

He did deserve more time, but we need to stop dwelling on him now, because he isn't coming back, at least in the foreseeable future at least. So lets look forward and hope Roy can turn things around, and start getting us back up the table and challenging for the top 4 again.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #21: Nov 08, 2010 08:38:43 pm
      Weird, I just posted about this in another thread.

Rafa didn't "deserve" another year to have a go.  LFC is not in the charity business.  If you are not good enough, you are gone.  You don't win 18 titles by giving crap managers another chance.  So it is not about emotion or sympathy to Rafa.

Everyone has it the wrong way round.  LFC deserved another year of Rafa, we the fans deserved another year with a manager who won us the CL.  Who twice won La Liga and the Uefa cup.  Who got us our best PL points total.  Who brought us to within a whisker of the title. Who restored our pride and honour after fifteen relatively barren years. To get rid of Rafa after one bad season - in which we had many injuries to key players, some bad bad decisions and not to mention the off-the-field problems - was not tough on Rafa, it was stupid and hurts the fans.  Rafa is alright, he is at the European champions - what are we left with?

So Rafa should not have been given time because we are being kind to him, he should have been given time because he is a top, top manager and was our best hope of restoring the Liverbird back its F***ing perch.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #22: Nov 08, 2010 08:41:15 pm
      I'd have gone for 2-3 seasons, but that would have been so difficult with the sly sports mob and the xenophobic press.  It was clear we needed strengthening, but ideally it should have happened when we finished second.

I'm always curious as to why some people say 'Rafa lost us the league' because we finished second.  Firstly, we never actually had it to effectively lose.  Secondly, we did usually create a lot chances in the games we drew, it's just that we never converted them.  My own belief that for much of 08-09 we were by far and away the best team - and we scored a bucket load of goals, which ain't bad for what some people call a defensive coach.

Personally, I don't think Rafa told the players not to score so I don't see how we can say he lost us the league.

I'd love to see him back one day, I'm sure he'd enjoy working with Mr Henry et al, they seem to understand and are keen to learn.  The previous lot were intellectually not at the races as regards football.

Quick Reply