Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

How much time should Rafa have been given?

Read 25206 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4584 
      Re: How much time should Rafa have been given?
      Reply #207: Nov 09, 2010 11:47:04 pm
      Where do I go now to read argumentative threads. What with Rocky being banned and Lucas playing well. ;)

Join me in the current affairs thread racer ;D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #208: Nov 09, 2010 11:48:56 pm
      Trying not to get started on politics. That poppy one is tempting me to say more though. Although that would lead to a massive rant
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4584 
      Reply #209: Nov 09, 2010 11:54:20 pm
      Trying not to get started on politics. That poppy one is tempting me to say more though. Although that would lead to a massive rant

Go on dare yah >:D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #210: Nov 09, 2010 11:59:45 pm
      Not from my phone. I want to structure that one.
      elnino9_Zii
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #211: Nov 10, 2010 12:06:45 am
      Cracking thread this.

i personaly wanted him to prove coming 7th was a freak of nature, that aquilani wasn't a flop, that the youth he had brought (from abroad) would turn out to be class, that with new owners he would bring in the players that would eventualy, help us to bring home number 19.
      so whats that atleast another 3 years for me :)
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #212: Nov 10, 2010 09:27:33 am
      Thats fair enough mate, I just wanted to know why you felt it was time for him to go as you never stated why.

Do you think the football would have went stale had we had a proper transfer budget for the two seasons where we made a net transfer of profit £4.5m and do you think it could all have been avoided had that investment materialised ?

I stated that I thought the football had gone stale as my reason why. With regards to the net spend we will never know whether things would have been different although we did have a fairly decent squad last year all the same.

Not that many, many still wanted the fella to stay.

Still happy you wanted a change?

Let's get one thing straight I loved and still do love the man. I just felt last season was stale on as well as off the pitch.

I will admit 'in hindsight' that if I'd realised who the possible Managers were who would of come to us with H&G in control then without doubt the best would of been the man already at the helm at the time.

I am unhappy with Roy at the moment, and have let it be known on these pages, but it doesn't look like that there is going to be a change anytime soon so I am swaying to the way of just getting on with it and supporting the team and Manager for the time being.

I wonder what the months between the end of last season and the completion of the takeover would of been like with Rafa in charge?
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #213: Nov 10, 2010 02:00:03 pm
      Some of us have succumbed to peer pressure and in the process, lost our own thoughts. Some of us was hoping we get rid of Rafa Benitez and bring in someone like Jose Mourinho, Guus Hiddink and even Martin O’Neill. The list continues. If deep down this is what we wanted?

You could see Rafa was tired of all this constant flirting, moaning, finger pointing and accusations, especially in light of him fighting our corner against the real cancer of this club – the owners. Whether we believed in Rafa or not, there certainly was a case of the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I really feel for the man,He worked under the water tight budget,Fought against the Cancers and when we were about to get rid of the cancers.He was forcefully moved out of the club.

Hopefully we have the money to spend under these decent Owners and After all the difficulties and restrained he faced during the H&G Era. He deserved to have another Crack under the new owners.

With a Good Transfer budget Rafa is golden,
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #214: Nov 10, 2010 02:56:58 pm
      Let's get one thing straight I loved and still do love the man. I just felt last season was stale on as well as off the pitch.

I will admit 'in hindsight' that if I'd realised who the possible Managers were who would of come to us with H&G in control then without doubt the best would of been the man already at the helm at the time.

I am unhappy with Roy at the moment, and have let it be known on these pages, but it doesn't look like that there is going to be a change anytime soon so I am swaying to the way of just getting on with it and supporting the team and Manager for the time being.

I wonder what the months between the end of last season and the completion of the takeover would of been like with Rafa in charge?

Simple yes or no would of sufficed.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4584 
      Reply #215: Nov 10, 2010 02:59:32 pm
      How long did it take to build rome? Thats how long i would have given raf.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #216: Nov 10, 2010 03:13:10 pm
      Positives:
      - the signings of Luis Garcia and Xabi Alonso in 04/05
      - those great European nights throughout evry season bar his last
      - ISTANBUL
      - the signings of Reina, Agger, Crouch who I loved and still love
      - bringing back God
      - Cardiff 06
      - another wonderful European journey in 06/07
      - the signing of El Nino
      - speaking for the fans against the Yank cu*ts
      - 08/09 season- although we won nothing.. Rafa had brought us so far since Houllier
      - whwn leaving telling us LFC is in his heart and is his home and he will be back

NEGATIVES:
      - every aspect of his last season in charge
      - his silly "fact" speech on Ferguson was pointless and gained nothing but making the red nosed c**t laugh probably
      - zonal marking (Rafa was stubborn)
      - not attacking in some away games unless it was absolutely necessary
      - not re-signing Owen on a free transfer (i know hes a c**t but he would have joined us before United)

So overall, the positives outweigh the negs by quite a margin for me :)
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #217: Nov 10, 2010 03:25:51 pm
      - not re-signing Owen on a free transfer (i know hes a c**t but he would have joined us before United)

On here, im probably one of the few people glad to see the back of Rafa.  I don’t want to go into them because all know my reasons why, and I stand by them.

I don’t mean to flame you.  But that is absolute bollocks mate.

Why would he want to sign a crock of a player who left because he didn’t want to fight for his place. 
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #218: Nov 10, 2010 03:39:40 pm
      Positives:
      - the signings of Luis Garcia and Xabi Alonso in 04/05
      - those great European nights throughout evry season bar his last
      - ISTANBUL
      - the signings of Reina, Agger, Crouch who I loved and still love
      - bringing back God
      - Cardiff 06
      - another wonderful European journey in 06/07
      - the signing of El Nino
      - speaking for the fans against the Yank cu*ts
      - 08/09 season- although we won nothing.. Rafa had brought us so far since Houllier
      - whwn leaving telling us LFC is in his heart and is his home and he will be back

NEGATIVES:
      - his silly "fact" speech on Ferguson was pointless and gained nothing but making the red nosed c**t laugh probably

Got to take issue with a few of your 'negatives'.  the zonal marking one especially, considering one season, we went an entire league campaign not conceding a set piece goal because of it.  Zonal marking works, the biggest problem it has, is it is aesthetically displeasing when errors are made using it, because it looks like no one has tracked the player. Just because someone challenged a player during man marking, it makes it acceptable to concede?

And every aspect of his last season?  You're having a laugh yes.

The rant wasn't a rant either - it was a list of points that were correct and indeed backed up by imperical data, whether it had it's desired affect is debatable, but I bet a few officials took check of their actions.

Owen can f**k off.  And if we look at how often he's been injured at Man United, it seems like he has been nearly always injured or coming back from an injury - we dodged a bullet in my opinion.

Personally, I thought Rafa's biggest flaw was over-analyzing things and his last season was a combination of things, even some players have freely admitted the off the field antics of H & G affected them and a general malaise had spread around the dressing room, injuries & the lack of investment all played a part.    
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #219: Nov 10, 2010 06:15:05 pm
      Where do I go now to read argumentative threads. What with Rocky being banned and Lucas playing well. ;)

Mention one word.
      Clue: Begins with R. ;D

Or .......Eg:  350 games or 6 years whichever came first.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 734 posts | 113 
      Reply #220: Nov 10, 2010 06:39:09 pm
      NEGATIVES:
      - not re-signing Owen on a free transfer (I know hes a c**t but he would have joined us before United)

Add to your negatives Robbie Keane. Rafa put internal politics before the club costing the club millions - then further down the line he moaned about lack of funds to buy a decent striker! And also the sale of Alonso - doing everything he possibly could to flog Alonso for Barry made sure that the guy was always going to go.

It's difficult to be precise but I suspect that had he stayed we would still have Mascherano and would not have wasted money on crap like Poulsen. However, I'm not sure that we would still have Gerrard and Torres.

I think if he came back it could be a bit like when Kendall came back to the blueshite - he's had his time at Anfield and is undoubtedly an Anfield legend. If he came back I would be worried that he might spoil those memories.

Also, I don't like the way it is being made out by some (not all - just some) that if you 'support' Rafa you must oppose Hodgson and reciprically any support of Hodgson is automatically seen as being a swipe at Rafa. Why can we not talk positively about the things Rafa achieved whilst also supporting Roy?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #221: Nov 10, 2010 09:28:12 pm
      Mention one word.
      Clue: Begins with R. ;D

Or .......Eg:  350 games or 6 years whichever came first.

Ah yes the eternal...sorry... The Great Big Rafa Debate
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #222: Nov 10, 2010 10:30:01 pm
      Ah yes the eternal...sorry... The Great Big Rafa Debate

Racer.

Shhhhhh !!!

They can hear us.
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #223: Nov 11, 2010 12:18:53 am
      I personally wouldn't put Robbie keane amongst Rafa's negative. Ok we made a loss on his transfer but firstly, he did not want keane and he was imposed on him. Secondly, selling keane as early as he did help us recoup a lot of money. Keane for me was not and will not be a big Club player, Ok, I like him as a player, he is fair and tries hard but he failed at inter, failed with us, and now isn't getting a game for Totemham with all the money they paid to get him back. I think keane misses too many chances, just look at the way he plays for Ireland. And every year prior to us buying him he would hit the two figure mark and I think that is because he takes a lot of penalties.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #224: Nov 11, 2010 01:01:27 am
      I personally wouldn't put Robbie keane amongst Rafa's negative. Ok we made a loss on his transfer but firstly, he did not want keane and he was imposed on him. Secondly, selling keane as early as he did help us recoup a lot of money. Keane for me was not and will not be a big Club player, Ok, I like him as a player, he is fair and tries hard but he failed at inter, failed with us, and now isn't getting a game for Totemham with all the money they paid to get him back. I think keane misses too many chances, just look at the way he plays for Ireland. And every year prior to us buying him he would hit the two figure mark and I think that is because he takes a lot of penalties.
      When you consider the way the Keane situation was handled and we all know who the culprits were,it is an indication of the forces that were at work to displace Rafa. He didn't want the player in the first place nevertheless he arrived was F***ing rubbish and our man got all the F***ing stick surrounding his departure. Just another brick in the wall that we are currently banging our heads against in the form of Roy Hodgson.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #225: Nov 11, 2010 03:29:01 am
      Any Liverpool fan that attempts to distance himself from Rafa's "fact rant" is a F***ing embarrassment to this club and Shankly.

All Rafa did was tell the truth stand up for the club and point out the obvious power that red-nosed b***ard has in the FA and media.

It's just a shame no other manager had the bollock's to back him!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #226: Nov 11, 2010 04:08:41 am
      Any Liverpool fan that attempts to distance himself from Rafa's "fact rant" is a f**king embarrassment to this club and Shankly.

All Rafa did was tell the truth stand up for the club and point out the obvious power that red-nosed b***ard has in the FA and media.

It's just a shame no other manager had the bollock's to back him!

Amen. I F***ing loved that rant, and anyone who thinks it is silly should just go and get Fergies face tattooed on their cocks. Rafa is still the only man who has ever had the balls to tell fergie to F**k off, and for that alone he deserves our respect. Not to mention the many other great things during his time here.
      Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #227: Nov 11, 2010 09:24:10 am
      I dont see why we have to dig this debate up, the fact that Roy is worse than Rafa makes us all regret him going, i myself didnt think Rafa could take us to leauge champs but i have already stated id take Rafa back over Roy on current viewing of affairs.

It would be interesting to see what Rafa could do without those two fat fuckers there now but i think it would be another "rebuild"

Im so depressed at the moment  :-[
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #228: Nov 11, 2010 10:10:44 am
      Simple yes or no would of sufficed.

Yeah will give yes or no answers from now on then in no time I will be able to go around the forum acting all arrogant to anyone who posts something I don't agree with because I've got 10000 + posts. Must have been bullied at school or something you mate. Ta'ra!
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #229: Nov 11, 2010 04:21:43 pm
      I think the rant was great, well worded, to the point, and without pulling a 'Keegan'

It was just the timing, its putting himself in the firing line and putting pressure on the team.  Totally not what they needed.

The same with promising to deliver 4th. 

Its stuff like that that got on my nerves about Rafa.

Quick Reply