Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Celtic plans ban for Poppy protesters

Read 9399 times
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,231 posts | 918 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Celtic plans ban for Poppy protesters
      Nov 08, 2010 09:01:15 pm
      Celtic plans to ban fans who protested against the poppy appeal, with a banner that read "Your deeds would shame all the devils in Hell. Ireland, Iraq, Afghanistan. No bloodstained poppy on our Hoops." whats the world comming to ?.
       Link http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/9168655.stm
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Re: Celtic plans ban for Poppy protesters
      Reply #1: Nov 08, 2010 09:07:19 pm
      They have the right to ban anyone from their ground as it is private property.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,231 posts | 918 
      Reply #2: Nov 08, 2010 09:12:06 pm
      They have the right to ban anyone from their ground as it is private property.
      I agree with you maybe i didn't make myself to clear
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #3: Nov 08, 2010 09:21:15 pm
      Fair enough i say. Freedom of speech and all that, but that was offensive IMO. Football grounds are no place for that kinda thing.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,446 posts | 4584 
      Reply #4: Nov 08, 2010 09:55:34 pm
      Fair enough I say. Freedom of speech and all that, but that was offensive IMO. Football grounds are no place for that kinda thing.

Secterianism is a problem in the spl.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,231 posts | 918 
      Reply #5: Nov 08, 2010 09:59:24 pm
      I have been to a Celtic home game i thought i was in Ireland
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #6: Nov 09, 2010 12:55:27 am
      I read on Facebook that this is a load of Bo*****s. :action-smiley-060:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #7: Nov 09, 2010 02:31:40 am
      Absolutely shocking to hear about this. Tarnished the names of Celtic fans.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #8: Nov 09, 2010 05:47:20 am
      Am I the only one who supports the supporter's actions?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #9: Nov 09, 2010 05:57:11 am
      Am I the only one who supports the supporter's actions?

Probably. At least i hope so. It's a shameful act, and i would love to hear your explanation as to why you support this sh*t?

Secterianism is a problem in the spl.

Well aware of it, as unfortunate as it is.

vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #10: Nov 09, 2010 06:05:34 am
      Probably. At least i hope so. It's a shameful act, and i would love to hear your explanation as to why you support this sh*t?

Well aware of it, as unfortunate as it is.

I believe in freedom of speech and you can't have freedom of speech "as long as it doesn't offend anybody" because that's not freedom of speech. Football (well sport in general) and politics should be kept separate, a campaign to support the troops has no place in football, if this issue isn't raised in the first place, you won't have protests like this speaking out against it.  I don't believe in celebrating the heroics of men with guns/bombs. I'm against the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, if the forces that sent us into war have the right to disagree with those who believe we shouldn't have gone there, surely protesters have the right to disagree with those who have gone there.  Just my take on it.
      « Last Edit: Nov 09, 2010 07:06:36 am by vitez »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #11: Nov 09, 2010 07:06:54 am
      As an Irishman it would be easy to take a soft view of this, but really this sort of thing has no place at a football match. It is a militant statement and as such should not be entrenched in footballing mentality
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #12: Nov 09, 2010 08:13:26 am
      I believe in freedom of speech and you can't have freedom of speech "as long as it doesn't offend anybody" because that's not freedom of speech. Football (well sport in general) and politics should be kept separate, a campaign to support the troops has no place in football, if this issue isn't raised in the first place, you won't have protests like this speaking out against it.  I don't believe in celebrating the heroics of men with guns/bombs. I'm against the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, if the forces that sent us into war have the right to disagree with those who believe we shouldn't have gone there, surely protesters have the right to disagree with those who have gone there.  Just my take on it.

So what about the men on the beaches of Normandy? The Western Front? The Pacific? Hell, Vietnam, Korea, and even these wars - those men are being sent over by higher forces. Don't disrespect them, and those who have gone before them. F**k freedom of speech, IMO as long as they are conducting themselves the way they should then they deserve respect, regardless of what you think of the wars they are fighting. Remember, this memorial day thing is not just for the current wars, its for whats gone before as well.

I don't give a F**k about the politics, this day is about remembrance for fucks sake. Or i guess you support turning up at soldiers funerals with signs saying 'Burn in hell' etc?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,254 posts | 2820 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #13: Nov 09, 2010 08:25:37 am
      This annoys me from an Irish perspective

1) Poppys are worn in most countries who were effected by the war as a mark of respect to the soldiers who lost there life fighting the nazis its not about Britain or the British army

2) during both world wars thousands upon thousands of Irishmen fought in the British army why should they not be remembered for their efforts

Clowns these people who I bet if they trace back there family will find a member of there family was in the British army. I bet they have no true idea of Irish history just what they pick up along their biggotted way. Not asking for a love in just respect those who fought for world freedom
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #14: Nov 09, 2010 09:46:04 am
      I find the whole matter totally unpleasant, as I'm afraid I find a lot of things that go on with Rangers and Celtic.

The IRA chants during the minutes silence after the 9/11 terrorist attacks was another event I can remember.

For me personally football comes before politics or religion.  It seems for some at Parkhead, football is the last thing they are there for.

I saw this quote from a Dundee Utd fan: (I assume the first part is related to the mis-spelling of the word blood on their banner)

"You've got to feel that if you are going to make your annual "continue to make your club out to be a pathetic bunch of terrorist-sympathising nutjobs" then at least let matron check out the work you've done on your torn bedsheets when you hand back the crayons. I am no longer surprised, no longer shocked by these knuckle-draggers.

They still seem oblivious to the irony of hating the English yet wanting to whore themselves to them - burning the St George's flag at preseason friendlies in front of bemused locals and so on, yet desperately pleading to enter England's competitive setup. So not shocked at all, but just when you think they can't possibly look any more stupid by God they go and break their own records! ...

I wonder what it must be like to hate yourself, hate your country, romanticise the land of your great-great grandad and yet want to play in the league of your imagined oppressors? Tell you what, all the shrinks in the world couldn't untangle the heads inside Celtic Park if they had a thousand years!"
      « Last Edit: Nov 09, 2010 09:54:05 am by JD »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,254 posts | 4932 
      Reply #15: Nov 09, 2010 09:55:29 am
      I find the whole matter totally unpleasant, as I'm afraid I find a lot of things that go on with Rangers and Celtic.

The IRA chants during the minutes silence after the 9/11 terrorist attacks was another event I can remember.

For me personally football comes before politics or religion.  It seems for some at Parkhead, football is the last thing they are there for.

The Old Firm will always struggle to get rid of the sectarianism as large portions of their fans want to continue along these lines and it's good to see the club taking this line on this issue.

Here in Northern Ireland you are seen as Protestant if you wear a poppy and vice versa but in realty there are many thousands of Irish Catholics who fought in the war but will not wear a poppy as it's seen as supporting the British Army.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #16: Nov 09, 2010 09:56:42 am
      Totally disrespectful.

I really don't like some of the things that go on with Rangers and Celtic - particularly the religious side of things.

I was in Tenerife last year and came across a 'Rangers Bar' with a massive protestant badge placed on the headboard.

Hate stuff like that.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #17: Nov 09, 2010 09:59:46 am
      So what about the men on the beaches of Normandy? The Western Front? The Pacific? Hell, Vietnam, Korea, and even these wars - those men are being sent over by higher forces. Don't disrespect them, and those who have gone before them. F**k freedom of speech, IMO as long as they are conducting themselves the way they should then they deserve respect, regardless of what you think of the wars they are fighting. Remember, this memorial day thing is not just for the current wars, its for whats gone before as well.

I don't give a F**k about the politics, this day is about remembrance for fucks sake. Or i guess you support turning up at soldiers funerals with signs saying 'Burn in hell' etc?

What about the IRA, ETA and Al-Qaeda?  Don't disrespect them, they're fighting for a cause they believe is correct.  Come on man, it can swing both ways.  The only rational way is to condemn them all - people with guns are cowards and should not be lauded as heroes, they're simply doing somebody else's dirty job.  There's no national or worldwide "thank you to plumbers day (who do the same thing), why are soldiers held in higher regard?", but as long as they conform to your standards though and conduct themselves in a way which doesn't represent a different set of views to your own, then they have a right to freedom of speech or freedom of protest.  Hate to tell you but that's not freedom of speech or protest.

Respect is earned, not given.  You might respect them for serving in any given war, I respect the people who try and broker peace talks.  Like you, it could be said I don't give a F**k about the politics but I think we can agree it has no place in sport because sport has a great way of bonding two people who are otherwise on opposite ends of the political spectrum.  I feel the wearing of the poppy breaches that in the first place.

I don't personally support showing up at soldier's funerals with "burn in hell" signs but I respect people's right to do so.  I think it's in poor taste but I also feel that human rights and freedom of speech/protest/press/opinion are more important than offending what the mainstream would consider the social norm.  I want equality for all, if protesting about politics in sport isn't fair game on the grounds of separation of the two, then the same rule should apply to pushing political agendas on sports.  Simple case of what's good for the geese is good for the gander.

Now before you jump on my IRA, ETA, Al-Qaeda comments citing that they kill innocent civilians and use terror to intimidate people, if you think the governments of those involved in ALL wars don't do the same, you're only kidding yourself.  One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.  Condemn neither or condemn them both.
      « Last Edit: Nov 09, 2010 10:06:10 am by vitez »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #18: Nov 09, 2010 10:07:36 am
      Turning in to a Current Affairs topic this.

The point is this was displayed at a football match.  Not an anti-war march.  For me, and I'd imagine most people - it has absolutely no place in a football stadium and I agree that Celtic are quite within their rights to ban people for displaying such stuff on what is, essentially, private property.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #19: Nov 09, 2010 10:20:03 am
      I do not wear my poppy to support ‘our troops’ out there at the moment.  I turn a blind eye when I see help for hero’s campaigns as a believe that these guys know what they are getting into.

I wear my poppy for the millions of innocent soldiers who almost 100 years ago got lied to and sent to their death over a war that was none of their business. 
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #20: Nov 09, 2010 10:28:42 am
      I agree with you maybe I didn't make myself to clear

No, you did, I was just quickly posting my view :)
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #21: Nov 09, 2010 10:35:54 am
      I believe in freedom of speech and you can't have freedom of speech "as long as it doesn't offend anybody" because that's not freedom of speech. Football (well sport in general) and politics should be kept separate, a campaign to support the troops has no place in football, if this issue isn't raised in the first place, you won't have protests like this speaking out against it.  I don't believe in celebrating the heroics of men with guns/bombs. I'm against the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, if the forces that sent us into war have the right to disagree with those who believe we shouldn't have gone there, surely protesters have the right to disagree with those who have gone there.  Just my take on it.

I believe in freedom of speech, but you don't have the right to go onto someone's private property and start protesting or shooting your mouth off - if you do they can ask you to leave.  Freedom of speech stops government censorship, it does not give you a blanket right to protest wherever and whenever you want.

Again - I don't think there should be pressure on football clubs to wear a poppy, even though I support the campaign myself. However, the supporters should have made their statement outside the ground and the club has every right to ban them.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #22: Nov 09, 2010 10:42:23 am
      What about the IRA, ETA and Al-Qaeda?  Don't disrespect them, they're fighting for a cause they believe is correct.

If they attacked military targets, I'd respect their cause whether I agreed or not.  But these are not freedom fighters, they are terrorists who indiscriminately kill innocent men, women and children.

The only rational way is to condemn them all - people with guns are cowards and should not be lauded as heroes,

I'm glad you were not in charge of planning the Battle of Britain or D-Day... you are the Roy Hodgson of military planning...

There's no national or worldwide "thank you to plumbers day (who do the same thing), why are soldiers held in higher regard?",

Because I don't know of any plumber who has died in the line of duty, fighting for my freedom.  Maybe a few have got a little damp from a leaky pipe...

Now before you jump on my IRA, ETA, Al-Qaeda comments citing that they kill innocent civilians and use terror to intimidate people, if you think the governments of those involved in ALL wars don't do the same, you're only kidding yourself.  One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.  Condemn neither or condemn them both.

Nonsense.  Legitimate military campaigns aim to avoid civilian casualties and it is an unavoidable tragedy when civilians die, freedom fighters also avoid civilians and target the military.  Terrorists on the other hand aim to kill civilians.  If you can't see that distinction, there is no point in this discussion.

Quick Reply