Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Reina hints at Liverpool exit

Read 15339 times
      DMS
      • Forum Dean Saunders
      • Started Topic

• 71 posts |
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reina hints at Liverpool exit
      Nov 09, 2010 08:19:39 am
      Pepe Reina has raised doubts about his long-term future at Liverpool after revealing he will consider his options if the club are not challenging for honours.

The Spanish goalkeeper has been linked with a move away from Anfield following their poor start to the season with the likes of Arsenal and Manchester United thought to be monitoring his situation.

Reina, who signed a new six year deal at Liverpool earlier this year, insists he will stay at least until the end of the season and that he has no intention of returning to Spain.

"I signed a six-year contract seven months ago and I'm happy at the club, but every footballer wants to be competing for trophies and winning things," Reina is quoted as saying in the Daily Mail. "I will stay at Liverpool at least until the end of the season.

"I know there are rumours about me leaving, but I want to make it clear that I have no intention of going back to Spain."

Reina also indicated he was disappointed with Rafa Benitez's departure in the summer as he claims his fellow Spaniard was a big influence on his career.

"Rafael Benitez was an essential person for this club and the reason I came to Liverpool," added Reina.

really hope this is all paper bullshit
      « Last Edit: Nov 09, 2010 09:15:28 am by JD »
      REDLANCE
      • Forum Ian St John

• 451 posts |
      Re: reina hints at liverpool exit
      Reply #1: Nov 09, 2010 08:28:45 am
      More CRAP from the Daily Mail  :f_steam:
      Alicus
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 15 
      Reply #2: Nov 09, 2010 08:33:50 am
      As if seeing this all over Twitter wasn't bad enough..

I don't think it deserves it's own thread, it's just a rehash of old quotes with new ones that clearly state that he is staying.

Lock please.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Re: Reina hints at liverpool exit
      Reply #3: Nov 09, 2010 08:44:16 am
      Alicus do you have any evidence that this is bullshit, I've just had a quick look on Google but can't find anything. Which of those quotes are old?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Nov 09, 2010 08:44:18 am
      He wont be leaving. We are no longer a selling club. Sure we will offload some peripheral players, but the spine will be kept. Hopefully in January we will see a new approach and all the negativity of the old regime can slowly be put behind us. Oh and F**k the daily fail
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #5: Nov 09, 2010 08:48:05 am
      Probably bullshit manipulation of an interview. I vote Lock.
      Alicus
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 15 
      Reply #6: Nov 09, 2010 08:49:03 am
      Alicus do you have any evidence that this is bullshit, I've just had a quick look on Google but can't find anything. Which of those quotes are old?

Why the F**k would Reina talk about Rafa's exit right after we beat Chelsea 2-0? That quote is definitely just used in order to make the article more believable, but once again, no quotes that say he's leaving.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #7: Nov 09, 2010 08:50:26 am
      Lock it.

Pepe is just as much a local boy now as Stevie.

He loves LFC
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #8: Nov 09, 2010 08:50:55 am
      Dunno why this talk would be done after we beat Chelsea.

Oh yeah, everyone hates us.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #9: Nov 09, 2010 09:10:45 am
      It's just silly to believe he is leaving after all we've gone through
      lock?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #10: Nov 09, 2010 09:14:50 am
      If Reina comes out and says he has been misquoted then it will be locked.

There is a difference between stories claiming a 'source said'.  But the Daily Mail quite clearly attribute the quotes to Reina himself.  So either he will deny the quotes or not.

We all know that there have been huge rumours around Liverpool with Reina and Torres in recent months and as much as I dislike reading these comments we can't simply dismiss them just because we don't like the content.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #11: Nov 09, 2010 09:19:35 am
      Reina is no fool, and he would not leave us, its a well known fact that coming into the winter all goalies want to be involved in the play, just to stay warm. He wont mind if we struggle a bit, he needs to dive around a bit to keep that circulation going. Just imagine if you are Barcelona's goalie in the winter and you don't even get a touch, they could find you frozen stiff to the post for fucks sake.

no no no.......there is nothing worse than being a goalie in a dominant side, its boring, just look at Brazil who cant convince anyone to play there, and have to resort to  rotation of each outfield player for ten minutes each ... just to keep everyone happy. 

Consider this     how can you become the best shot stopper in the world if no one is taking shots at you?????

Its our defensive frailties that have made this boy the best in the world, thrust him into the limelight and enabled him to pull off miraculous save after miraculous save.  This boy wont leave, he is living his dream.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Re: Reina hints at Liverpool exit
      Reply #12: Nov 09, 2010 09:30:10 am
      I can't easily brush this off as some of you have as although it's the mail Reina is quoted.

It appears that he is having or has had doubts and if things are not loking any better by the end of the season he may consider his future

The quote that worries me is that he has no intention going back to Spain as I would hate to see him play for one of our rivals. I only hope it was taken out of context and he said "anytime soon" or something after that.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #13: Nov 09, 2010 09:37:38 am
      Pepe Reina has put pen to paper on a new six-year deal at Anfield, Liverpool Football Club can today confirm.

The 27-year-old, who has been one of the Reds' star performers this season, has followed in the footsteps of senior stars like Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres, Daniel Agger and Dirk Kuyt by committing his long-term future to the club.

Reina told Liverpoolfc.tv: "I'm delighted to sign a new contract. It's probably the best news of my life that I'll be here for the next six years. Me and my family are really happy here.

"To play for Liverpool is very special. I've been here for five years and now I will be here for six more and it's very exciting.

"It's very important that my family love it here as well, as family life is just as important as my career.

"My wife told me from the beginning she was more than happy here. My kids enjoy it and they have picked up the scouse accent already. I am really proud of that.

"In the years ahead they will speak much more scouse too."

His mind can't have changed that much since April, especially now since things are looking up not down.
      Nissesixx
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      • Liverpool has nothing to do with Texas
      Reply #14: Nov 09, 2010 09:39:54 am
      This is worrying indeed. He actually said this during the press conference after the sunday game. Allegedly Henry is meeting with the spaniards this week to disscus the future of the club.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #15: Nov 09, 2010 10:03:38 am
      i do agree with jd that just because we don't like it, it means we should dismiss it.

however, he signed a 6 year deal, he was over the moon for it and looking forward to spending a long career here. and this was when the cancerous yanks were still at the helm. things are looking up in terms of ownership and the mood around the club now, i cannot for the life of me imagine him wanting to leave at the end of this season.

it's the daily f***ing mail. they probably asked him a specific question like "are you going back to spain next summer" to which he would have naturally replied "i'm not planning on going back to spain anytime soon"...and the noobs put a spon on that. really can't stand daily mail and the sun, should be banned from printing.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #16: Nov 09, 2010 10:11:26 am
      Seems like a thinly-veiled cry for investment and a new manager to me.

edit: Doubt he'll leave.  Of all our players, he's the one that understands Liverpool the most IMHO.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #17: Nov 09, 2010 10:12:00 am
      Well how many of you missed him punching the air after successive saves during the chelsea game. Didn't look like a man who wants to leave. If he does it'll be because of the manager. He would not sign a 6 year deal for nothing.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #18: Nov 09, 2010 10:18:42 am
      So Pepe won't be heading back to Spain, Italy it  is then to link back up with that World Class manager who's been a big influence on his career  :f_whistle:

BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #19: Nov 09, 2010 10:40:39 am
      So Pepe won't be heading back to Spain, Italy it  is then to link back up with that World Class manager who's been a big influence on his career  :f_whistle:

Exactly what i thought mate.

As much as we all would like to think it's newspaper bollocks, there are actual quotes from Pepe himself. Like JD said earlier, i myself am wating to hear if he says himself that he was mis-quoted.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #20: Nov 09, 2010 11:11:32 am
      Inter have Julio Cesar. He's one of the best in the world, so it won't be to them. If any Italian team will buy him, it's AC Milan.

I don't think he'll leave but there are no doubts Rafa was like a father to him. They were so united throughout everything so when he leaves, of course he will have questions with no answers.

Still, his love for Liverpool comes before anything. A nice little surprise...like Mata or Llorente...will help convince him to stay? He can't leave. Most important part of our defence, and proven to be a vital cog in our attack.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #21: Nov 09, 2010 11:21:07 am
      Another slow news day for the ''Mail''
      Let's hope Rooney does something stupid again
      to switch the attention from the like of this
      sh*te. As was said earlier''we're not a selling club.
      Contract's are there to be honoured.
      Pepe is about as scouse as they come.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #22: Nov 09, 2010 11:28:49 am
      Inter have Julio Cesar. He's one of the best in the world, so it won't be to them. If any Italian team will buy him, it's AC Milan.

Remember its not only Rafa he was close too there is also Xavi Valero, his goal keeping coach who Rafa took to Milan with him.

Quick Reply