Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Urby Emanuelson (Ajax - End of Contract)

Read 3214 times
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Urby Emanuelson (Ajax - End of Contract)
      Nov 10, 2010 04:15:50 pm
      Liverpool poised to land Dutch international on a free

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/transfer-gossip/liverpool-poised-to-land-dutch-international-on-a-free

Liverpool are being heavily linked with a free transfer move for Ajax full-back Urby Emanuelson.

The Dutch international defender's contract talks have broken down at the Amsterdam Arena, leaving agent Brian Berkleef to hint that the player could leave the club for free in the summer.

Roy Hodgson is thought to have targeted the 24-year-old as competition for Paul Konchesky at Liverpool, and the player's versatility as a potential left winger is also thought form part of the Merseyside club's interest.

"There are plenty of interested clubs. I won't confirm or deny any names though. However, I've told interested teams that Urby won't leave Ajax during the winter transfer window," said Berkleef.

The news means that Liverpool could sign the player for free on a pre-contract agreement in January, meaning he would move to Anfield in the summer.

Emanuelson joined the famous Ajax academy in 1994, and worked his way through the youth system before making his debut as a teenager in 2005.

Capped 11 times by Holland, the player is not short of experience with well over 200 appearances in the Eredivisie, Champions League, and Europa League.

New Liverpool owners NESV have promised the manager a transfer war chest in the region of £35 million, and Hodgson is thought to have targeted 'five or six' players for moves in the opening month of 2011.

Dutch paper De Telegraaf link a host of European clubs with a move for Emanuelson, but Liverpool are thought to be at the front of the queue for the talented player.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Re: Urby Emanuelson (Ajax - End of Contract)
      Reply #1: Nov 10, 2010 06:02:16 pm
      The thing is though, he isn't really a fullback and hasn't been a regular starter in that position for a long long time at Ajax either, he's backup for that position there. Not to mention that he doesn't like to play there either. And it doesn't help that he's quite poor in defense as well. He's a left midfielder, not even a proper winger. He used to be a huge talent, but his development has become stagnant about 2-3 years ago. Also, De Telegraaf is one of the most unreliable papers in Holland.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2: Nov 10, 2010 06:05:53 pm
      Would he be a good signing Dexter he sounds a bit like Bale.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #3: Nov 10, 2010 06:08:10 pm
      No, he wouldn't be. He's decent, but not great. Hasn't even been able to excel for Ajax these past 2 seasons, so I doubt he would for us. He has moments of brilliance, but those are far too rare. He's nowhere near Bale quality.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #4: Nov 10, 2010 06:12:37 pm
      That is good enough for me, we should steer clear then
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #5: Nov 10, 2010 06:14:02 pm
      Not a fan... I certainly don't watch the Dutch league as much as Dexter, but I share the same opinion. He's not a bad player but didn't turn out to be what I expected. I did see him play well sometimes but overall I've not seen much that would convince me he can make an impact in the EPL. Then again as I said I don't watch the Dutch league very often, it just happens that he is the easiest player to recognize on the pitch so I've always been able to judge his individual performances everytime I saw Ajax on tv.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #6: Nov 10, 2010 07:17:21 pm
      Same here. Watch Ajax a bit and he's like Drenthe. Don't really know where he plays to be honest and we have better wingers/fullbacks already.

Lovely left foot, but not for me.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #7: Nov 10, 2010 07:27:18 pm
      No, he wouldn't be. He's decent, but not great. Hasn't even been able to excel for Ajax these past 2 seasons, so I doubt he would for us. He has moments of brilliance, but those are far too rare. He's nowhere near Bale quality.
      Thanks a lot. Pleased to have someone like you here who knows everything about a league.     Would want to know is there anyone in Dutch League good enough for this club or we shouldn't look there??
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #8: Nov 10, 2010 09:55:04 pm
      Thanks a lot. Pleased to have someone like you here who knows everything about a league.     Would want to know is there anyone in Dutch League good enough for this club or we shouldn't look there??
      There certainly are some players good enough yeah, and some world class potential. The dutch league is still a decent breeding ground for talent.

Quick Reply