Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match.

Pepe Reina
      (14.8%)
      Martin Kelly
      (50.9%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (11.1%)
      Fernando Torres
      (23.1%)

Wigan 1-1 Liverpool: Post Match Annoyance

Read 56484 times
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 807 posts | 112 
      Re: Wigan 1-1 Liverpool: Post Match Annoyance
      Reply #759: Nov 11, 2010 10:37:03 am

this is not the answer to his question, is it?
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #760: Nov 11, 2010 10:39:59 am
      this is not the answer to his question, is it?

he said, is it too much to ask Roy for an away win.... which we got the other week.  Against Bolton.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #761: Nov 11, 2010 11:02:17 am
      I think our performance last night was typical of Liverpool in the last few years of Premier League football.  I was there, frustration filled the away end.

Every result around us was not only great, but PERFECT.  Bolton, City, Newcastle, Spurs, even United dropped points.  But again, we failed to grab it by the scruff and take advantage.  I was suddenly reminded of the failure of Stoke away a few years back after the now infamous ‘rant’

Regardless of what manger we have, what changes were made and what stadium we play in, it’s almost as if it’s in our DNA to not fully take advantage and capitalise on other teams mistakes.

Our DNA is to carry forward the legacy set down 40 years ago.

Not to put up with underperforming managers that dont even stand in Shankly and co's shadows.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #762: Nov 11, 2010 11:30:27 am
      One or two plus points from last night's disappointment, Torres' return to goalscoring form after his goals against Chelsea. Also the performance of Kelly who deserves an extended run in the first team. On the downside too defensive, with two points dropped against weaker opposition. Looks like if any progress up the table will be made the hard way.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #763: Nov 11, 2010 11:37:21 am
      One or two plus points from last night's disappointment, Torres' return to goalscoring form after his goals against Chelsea. Also the performance of Kelly who deserves an extended run in the first team. On the downside too defensive, with two points dropped against weaker opposition. Looks like if any progress up the table will be made the hard way.

kelly was skinned numerous times and at times showed his lack of judgement. having said that, he's young, learning his trade and clearly has the raw talent. you drop experienced players when they're off form, but stick to young, developing players if they have a bad day, because they need the support and confidence.

so i agree kelly needs extended run, allbeit for different reasons :)
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #764: Nov 11, 2010 11:40:29 am
      The owners must really start to sit up and realise that Roy is blowing hot and cold, one game played like a champion, next like a relegation candidate. Give Roy the best attacking team on earth say FC Barcelona and he'll still turn them into Fulham overnight because he doesn't know how to coach a team to be attack minded and intimidate the opponent. I will have this to say to NESV, carry out damage control this very minute, get rid of Roy, don't wait beyond Christmas that'll be too late. Never mind pay him off 3 or 5 mil, at least we still have a chance to get back to top four spot and that means 25 mil in revenue.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #765: Nov 11, 2010 12:18:35 pm
      First off I want rid of the manager !.  that said we were woeful last night and still got a point away from home which is an improvement on earlier in the season we lost at home to Blackpool F.F.S anythings an improvement on that !

We've pulled away from the bottom (so at least were getting more points then the rest) and we're 1pt away from 5th !
      the teams at the top are dropping points, we beat the Chavs, the Mancs both drew Arsenal have been poor of late even Spurs have slipped up.

We're unbeaten in the last 6, the two losses before that we're either side of the takeover (I'm not using it as an excuse !) we are improving (very slowly !) according to Sky Sports we've got the 5th best record form wise, based on the last 5 matches !

How many people on here would have taken 4pts from the last 6 ?
      Didn't we do a poll earlier predicting where we'd finish ? we are joint 6th after 12 games !

Before Roy took over where did people think we'd actually finish the season ?

I will repeat myself ROY IS THE WRONG MAN !

Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #766: Nov 11, 2010 12:44:04 pm
      I think as supporters our normal patience has worn so thin that every small plus isnt enough to keep us happy.

But it is frustrating to see that we all can point where Roy is going wrong, if he wasnt such a tw*t with the media i may still be calling for him to be given time.

at the end of it all, 4th place is highly possible and maybe even a europa or FA cup win.

I would settle for that, but a good manager with balls and passion would make a huge difference right now
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #767: Nov 11, 2010 01:08:30 pm
      Got back in time from Wigan for a couple of pints in the pre-match boozer before MOTD so didn't get time to post my thoughts on last night's game.

Big big let down.

Good opening and then.... nothing.

No width.  I don't think we had the ball down the flanks at all.  A horribly negative performance, far too deep, shocking passing and we were camped in our own half for the last 80 minutes of the game.

I've been to three away games now this season.  All of them have been utter sh*te.  Only a Torres backheel helped us escape with 3 points at Bolton.  We were lucky not to lose against Wigan and Birmingham.  And look where they are in the league.

Sick of going to games and us fans having to chant 'Attack! Attack! Attack!' at Liverpool players.  It's beyond a joke.

The players are clearly underperforming with this negativity from the manager.  To drop 20 points in your first 12 games is shocking.  12 points behind the leaders and not even a third of the season gone?

I've got absolutely no faith in the current manager or his ability to grind out results. 

Last night was a total embarrassment and felt as good as a defeat.  The effort and application just wasn't there.  We will not finish top 4 with Roy at the helm, that much is obvious to me and I'd imagine the vast majority of the 4000 reds freezing last night in Wigan.
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #768: Nov 11, 2010 01:09:11 pm
      I really thought we were going to skin Wigan from the outset, but after the first goal we reverted to type...not our type, but Roy's type.

I'm so F***ing tired of watching the defense hoof the ball upfield.

Konchesky was by far the weakest player on the pitch. How often was he caught out? Stam put in a fair few crosses that but for a finishing product were excellent.

Skrtel does a great job at keeping my ass in shape, because I have it clenched shut every time the ball comes to him. I'm sorry to say he is not as good as we all like to think. He hasn't been the same player from the 08/09 season and that's a shame. I'd take Agger in that position everyday.

Carra did well for me making some important tackles/fouls which saved us. He marshalled the back line well and kept Kelly honest for the most part. It's just the damned hoofing that does my head in instead of building the attack by linking with the midfield. I don't need to tell you.

Kelly got my MOTM. Yes, he was caught out on occasion, but overall I think he's coming along really well and carries himself like the pro he is. I'd have been a lot more apprehensive had Johnson been playing.

In general, the whole midfield was guilty of dodgy passing after the first spell of the game. There were moments of really nice build-up and good passing, but it was always a questionable pass killing it. I'd rather have seen Jova in for Maxi from go.

The substitutions. Wow. I haven't read anything yet, but unless Meireles was injured there's no reason for Poulsen to get 45 minutes. Besides, if that was the case, then bring Jova in on the left, drop Gerrard back with Lucas, Maxi on the right and Kuyt feeding Torres.

And, finally there's Roy whose tactics involve biting his fingernails and then standing up with five minutes left clapping hard to the left and clapping hard to the right. Is this supposed to arouse and motivate our players. Pfft.

The title of this thread couldn't be more appropriate. I came away thoroughly F***ing annoyed.

Oh yeah. One more thing. The Wigan fans who cheered when Kelly went down during the freekick showed themselves to be classless shitbags. I hope that's not a reflection of all Wigan fans.

YNWA
      pragnorok
      • Forum David Johnson

• 222 posts |
      Reply #769: Nov 11, 2010 01:10:34 pm
      We were lucky to get a draw thats a fact.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #770: Nov 11, 2010 05:59:45 pm
      Now there's no need to be so rude.

:lmao:

Pot. Kettle. Black. Boom.

What has frustrated me with Roy being useless, is the obvious ability we DO have for attack. I mean, we saw in the opening and then the closing minutes they do have it! It's just every attacking talent we have is suffocated by Roys hand telling them to back off. The f**ker is absolutely making me incensed, i just can't believe what the F**k he is making my club do right now.

I really have 0% faith in him. After Chelsea i was thinking maybe if he gets these next few games spot on... but no, he fu**ed it up.

Time to go, Roy.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #771: Nov 11, 2010 06:13:13 pm
      What pissed me off, I was one of the 10 who chose dismal draw in the pre match thread and was right, no confidence in Roy's ability as manager at all.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #772: Nov 11, 2010 06:23:11 pm
      Was at the game, havent seen highlights on tv so here's my take on it.

Good start, great ball from Stevie and great finish from Nando. Thought at that point they were there for the taking and I expected us to push on and get a 2nd but .....NO! Roys managerial style took hold and what did we do..... We sat back almost immediately and defended so deep at times it was ridiculous. We invited Wigan forward and Nzgobia and Rodallega caused us problems with their movement, their possession and  confidence grew and were the better side for the remainder of the first half.

Second half, no improvement, they were better than us and continued to sit deep and was no suprise when they scored the equaliser. He took Meireles off (was he injured then?? and replaced with Shelvey) Fair enough but bringing Poulsen on sums up for me what Roy is all about and that he will never be good enough to manage this club...far too negative again and in the end thought we were lucky to get a point. The only time we threatened was when Stevie hit the bar (could have squared to Torres maybe??)

Have to say Im not sure what the crowd was but it looked as if you could have got another 10,000 in their stands...shocking! But not as shocking as our performance at times  :(
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #773: Nov 11, 2010 06:24:55 pm
      That other fella  watsisface Red Horizon wrote in his last post words to the effect "we needed to learn a lesson to night and as long as we don't I'll keep going on and on."
      You do that as long as you don't annoy people your money is as good as anyones'.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #774: Nov 11, 2010 06:40:39 pm
      Just saw the highlights.

It was a great start for us with Fernando taking his goal brilliantly and after that, it was all Wigan I guess.

Gerrard could have controlled the ball and then shoot or square it off to Torres when Maxi played that ball in but there's no point dwelling on that chance.

It's amazing how the passes our players played were so poor. We lose the ball to easily nowadays and thatt gives an opportunity to oppositions to start an attack, especially since we have committed men forward then lose the ball. Also, we give opponents way too much space in our own half and that's poor.

I'm surprised Roy actually signed Konchesky because like Poulsen, he's pretty poor and just an average signing. There's a reason why he never played for bigger teams. He has no pace and often gets caught out.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #775: Nov 11, 2010 07:48:57 pm
      Roys subs last night scared the sh*t out of me, can't believe a Premiership manager would make such bad ones. Really scary, shows to me he is not totally with it.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #776: Nov 12, 2010 10:22:12 am
      Towards end of last season with us fielding a strong team: Wigan 1 the pool 0. 2009 Wigan 1 the pool 1. Not much change there then.  >:(
      Bit of a weak statement there mate, first off losing last season under Rafa with a strong team as oppossed to this season a weaker team, sh*t manager, no get up and go and yet we get a point away from home !
      does that make Woy a better manager ?

Quick Reply