Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Stoke 2-0 Liverpool: Match Thread & Post Match Discomfort.

Read 61229 times
      lottie964
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts |
      Re: Stoke 2-0 Liverpool: Match Thread & Post Match Discomfort.
      Reply #897: Nov 15, 2010 06:56:27 am
      sorry gents 35 draws, as someone else pointed out, looks like someone didn't do due dillegence again!!!
      zodak
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 116 posts | 10 
      Reply #898: Nov 15, 2010 08:13:45 am
      Not quite sure if anyone else read this.

Worrying to say the least!!!

--START OF ARTICLE EXTRACT--

Asked if he was satisfied with the mental strength his team had shown considering the fact that the Britannia is a cauldron which demands any visiting outfit to fight fire with fire, Hodgson replied: 'I think I am, and it would be a very unfair accusation to say that we lacked mental strength and character - our defending of so many throw-ins and set-pieces proved that.'

But a team who remain under so much pressure are always likely to come unstuck in the end and Liverpool clearly lacked a cutting edge.

Incredibly, Hodgson added: 'They outbattled us on occasions but our midfield isn't a battling midfield.'

When finally challenged on the obvious truth that any fully functioning midfield requires a battling element, he tried to do a U-turn.

He explained: 'What I meant was that in players like Raul Meireles and Maxi Rodriguez we don't have big guys in there, so I'll take that back.'

Quite what Liverpool fans are supposed to make of that confused thinking is anyone's guess. Hodgson added that he did not see it as his role as manager to take off an injured striker if that player did not himself want to come off.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1329390/Stoke-2-Liverpool-0-Fuller-Jones-lift-City-half-end-Reds-mini-revival.html#ixzz15KxH3ePX
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #899: Nov 15, 2010 10:30:19 am
      Only read this last page of 29,because I knew what to expect!Nearly every post makes reference to R.H.
      When in all honesty we should be looking for the reason our "players" cannot pass a football to each other.
      Now whether R.H. is or is'nt the right man for our club,surely he,s not solely to blame for that shocking show,as it was'nt tactics to blame.
      Can't wait to pop back later to read my castigation for speaking my mind.
      We were crap yesterday end of. 

nobody would disagree with you that we had quality players on the pitch who couldn't string some passes together, but i absolutely disagree with you about tactics not being to blame. tactics were the biggest reason (not the only but biggest) that we lost this game.

allow me to explain.

1 - i witnessed our 18 yard box bombarded on saturday. neither kenwyn jones nor fuller are fast, pacy players. why we played with our defence sitting so deep for the whole match, playing to their big guys' strenghts, i'll never know. it's such basic management observation, it beggars belief.

2 - this, also led to our midfield having to sit deep to protect the back four for long periods of the game, which put us into a situation where we could not build an attack. everytime we brought the ball out, there was hardly anyone up front or wide to pass to, so we had to keep going backwards or sideways.  this allowed stoke to press us and force errors, hence you witnessed good passers of the ball like stevie, meireles and kuyt giving the ball away time and time again. not to mention average players like konchesky playing dangerous backpasses.

3 - stoke are not a good footballing team. we knew they would press us and try to force errors as well as play the long ball and hoofing game. we needed genuine wide players to be able to stretch them and make them work harder to press. we had options. why not start with maxi on the right and babel/jov on the left and ask them stay wide? instead, we saw a situation where our midfield was not only sitting too deep, they were also too narrow...made it childsplay for stoke to choke the midfield, press us and use their physicallity to overpower us. yet more basic tactics roy should have observed before and during the game.

4 - konchesky is a poor buy and offers nothing going forwards. put in a few decent tackles to be fair but still poor. coupled with the fact that roy, inexplicably decided to drop kelly for carra on rb. carra does a good job in the centre but he has no pace and no crossing ability as a rb. time and again i noticed both carra and konchesky making advances up the field only to give the ball away or put in poor crosses. konchesky's roy's buy and playing carra instead of kelly was roy's decision.

5 - torres, isolated again, was kicked all over the pitch, because he was having to come to half way line, with his back to defence to try to see some of the ball. when he recieved the ball, he had to try to hold onto it, surrounded by 2 or 3 players all the time kicking him, until the support arrived. the way we set out our team, this was always going to fail.

6 - all of the above, led to us losing the ball time and time again, made it difficult to get a passing game going, which demotivates players and a demotivated team.

i didn't see much wrong with the work rate. torres could have come off injured but decided to stay on. kuyt, as usual was fighting everywhere etc etc. it was bizarre selection and awful tactics that was our downfall.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #900: Nov 15, 2010 12:50:53 pm
      Not quite sure if anyone else read this.

Worrying to say the least!!!

--START OF ARTICLE EXTRACT--

Asked if he was satisfied with the mental strength his team had shown considering the fact that the Britannia is a cauldron which demands any visiting outfit to fight fire with fire, Hodgson replied: 'I think I am, and it would be a very unfair accusation to say that we lacked mental strength and character - our defending of so many throw-ins and set-pieces proved that.'

But a team who remain under so much pressure are always likely to come unstuck in the end and Liverpool clearly lacked a cutting edge.

Incredibly, Hodgson added: 'They outbattled us on occasions but our midfield isn't a battling midfield.'

When finally challenged on the obvious truth that any fully functioning midfield requires a battling element, he tried to do a U-turn.

He explained: 'What I meant was that in players like Raul Meireles and Maxi Rodriguez we don't have big guys in there, so I'll take that back.'

Quite what Liverpool fans are supposed to make of that confused thinking is anyone's guess. Hodgson added that he did not see it as his role as manager to take off an injured striker if that player did not himself want to come off.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1329390/Stoke-2-Liverpool-0-Fuller-Jones-lift-City-half-end-Reds-mini-revival.html#ixzz15KxH3ePX

He's a dithering idiot.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #901: Nov 15, 2010 12:53:22 pm
      Thats one way of describing him I think f***in halfwitt is also a good way.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #902: Nov 15, 2010 12:54:17 pm
      ^^^
      Yeah that too!!!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #903: Nov 15, 2010 01:00:52 pm
      Maybe we should start a competetion to see who can best describes Roys hidden talents as a manager.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #904: Nov 15, 2010 01:26:34 pm
      ^^^ Talents? Has he got any to start with?
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #905: Nov 15, 2010 01:39:01 pm
      The sad thing is, Im not even shocked by a result like this these days.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #906: Nov 15, 2010 02:01:37 pm
      Maybe we should start a competetion to see who can best describes Roys hidden talents as a manager.

Apparently he can suck Werthers Originals better than most.

That is all.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #907: Nov 15, 2010 02:52:11 pm
      wecan't put other teams under pressure our def are afraid to play football, they can not  hold the ball for even 5 sec they can't even make a good attacking pass to put our opposition under pressure . All they do is kicking the ball away wich even put us under more pressure....for a big team is not good we can't play like schoolboys.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #908: Nov 15, 2010 07:32:24 pm
      F***ing hell, so we beat Chelsea- and make it count for absolutely nothing!

Just our shitty luck to finally get new owners- new era and all that- and we get lumped with Roy!

The sight of him makes me sick- clueless, out-of-his depth tw*t who is convinced he is F***ing fantastic- we are Liverpool FC- look what you have done to us!!
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #909: Nov 15, 2010 07:37:00 pm
      P.S:  At the beginning of the game where they said the record we hold undefeated against Stoke- i said to my dad- im sure thats a record Roy can break.

How effing depressing!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #910: Nov 15, 2010 07:39:44 pm
      self fulfilling prophecies are all the rage at the moment.Why don't you try I bet the owners will sack Roy before the West Ham game.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #911: Nov 15, 2010 08:08:45 pm
      Is true I don't even see any good game plan from Roy which can make me feel that we are not afrait of any  team at the moment...but I also give some blame to the players them self ..for me the players are not puting in enough effort only Pepe is diong his best to keep the score low.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #912: Nov 15, 2010 08:13:33 pm
      Maybe we should start a competetion to see who can best describe Roys hidden talons?

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #913: Nov 16, 2010 09:08:22 am
      Tadders

• 6,788 posts | 574 
      Reply #914: Nov 17, 2010 08:21:11 am
      This wasn't even in our top 3 worst displays of the season..

Man City, Blackpool, Birmingham, Everton, Wigan

take your pick they are all a disgrace to our football club.

But you can bet we will have more to choose from whilst Roy gets it right.

Jamie Carragher is a legend, but he is the worst choice for right back - I even think he would say that as he loves the club so much. He needs to be centre half or no where. Maxi and Raul we can afford one of them only - everyone it seems is playing out of position and nobody knows how to attack. With the exception of Chelsea we have been played of the park in the majority of our games, and that is a truly unique thing that Roy has bought to LFC - we have been sh*te and not been able to score at times, but we always played football and dominated the so called lesser teams.
      Not any more - we are a lesser team. Teams fancy their chances against us....

Quick Reply