Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Luuk De Jong (FC Twente)

Read 14872 times
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: Luuk De Jong (FC Twente)
      Reply #69: May 25, 2012 11:56:20 am
      I can't decide if you're being serious or not?   ???
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #70: May 25, 2012 12:07:10 pm
      All the while we are dithering about without a manager other clubs are pulling ahead with deals like this before the window has even opened. Driving me nuts.

I was taking the piss, mate. On Crouchy's screenshot from a football game it says 'Joining Newcastle on 1.7.2012' below Luke's picture.

:lmao:
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #71: May 25, 2012 12:11:36 pm
      Never mind then ;D didn't look at the screenshot it's too small to read
      Bier
      Reply #72: May 25, 2012 01:47:45 pm
      He's joining Newcastle on July 1st  :'(
      Really? Can't be sure yet, nothing been mentioned in Dutch media.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #73: May 25, 2012 01:49:22 pm
      Really? Can't be sure yet, nothing been mentioned in Dutch media.

Bier
      Reply #74: May 25, 2012 01:55:44 pm
      Haha, my bad man. Condering that I know the actual player, I never bothered looking at his FM profile. :P

That said, it does seem a toss up between Dortmund, Bayern, Newcastle and us. Although less so us it seems, we haven't been linked to him lately at least. Could be due to lack of manager.
      Tommy#Benfica
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts | 12 
      Reply #75: May 30, 2012 12:44:35 am
      not seen much of this boy. how are his attributes?
      Born in 90.
      He is an powerful striker (1.88 m), finisher and good head game. It is the reference area but is not static. Likes to move and serving his mates. He is technically gifted and has ease of finish, even with the left foot. He will have some difficulties when it is between stronger central but has everything to be top striker.

He is a good player for Liverpool. Probably he should grow up first, but then you will not pay 10 million... but 30.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #76: Jun 04, 2012 02:29:26 pm
      This is just the sort of striker we need to compliment what we have already. This is where the goals will come from. We have to have a serious go at landing this lad. Been on the radar for a while but we seem to be getting pushed back down the order. Can't really see him going to a club like Newcastle but we need to get an offer in fast, sure any Manager would want this sort of quality at his disposal. Whenever I come on here I expect to see some positive steps being made but it just seems to get more negative. Perhaps it's another FSG Smokescreen and we have him sewn up already. F**k I hope so. I'd deffo go for a top 4 place with his goal scoring contributions. Get in Bren, and get it done.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #77: Jun 04, 2012 05:42:12 pm
      Off to Spurs, so we'll see a bit of him next season some way.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #78: Jun 04, 2012 06:36:21 pm
      Off to Spurs, so we'll see a bit of him next season some way.

Is that for definite or just a rumour?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #79: Jun 04, 2012 09:02:58 pm
      Is that for definite or just a rumour?

His agent hinted at the Spurs, but rumours still about linking us and Newcastle.
      Bier
      Reply #80: Jun 04, 2012 09:06:38 pm
      Luuk's not making any decisions untill after the Euros. Whoever gets him, he probably won't be on his best for a while, been struggling with his health lately, on his 4th antibiotics treatment in a row. Probably due to a very busy season, played more games this season than any other Dutch international.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #81: Jun 04, 2012 09:24:12 pm
      Cheers lads.  :gt-happyup:

I hope his health improves, what ever he decides to do and that his new club look after him if he leaves which does look likely.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #82: Jun 04, 2012 09:38:14 pm
      Hopefully Brendan can convince him to come to LFC!!  Would be very happy with our striking options if they were Suarez, Carrol, and De Jong with Bellamy as backup if necessary. 

Also, it would be great if we could convince his compatriot Kevin Strootman to come as well.  He would give us good cover for Lucas, and could also play alongside him in games that we want a bit more cover in front of our back 4. 
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #83: Jun 04, 2012 10:15:45 pm
      Having seen a bit of the fella on YouTube, I don't see Brendan being interested. Now, I could be very wrong so please correct me if I am, but he strikes me as being quite similar to big Andy. Now, there may be room in the team for Andy under Brendan's system but another player similar to him...I doubt it? Please correct me if I have the complete wrong end of the stick.
      Bier
      Reply #84: Jun 04, 2012 10:52:41 pm
      I think you're wrong Semple. He's very comfortable on the ball for a big guy. That's why he played on the 10 position for a while at Twente when they still had Marc Janko, who is more of a limited target man, though good finisher. I've always thought Luuk is more of an allround striker than Carroll, and has far more potential. Luuk is very much a Dutch schooled striker who likes to drop deep and get involved with play, makes space for others, looks for combinations. He's very intelligent and has vision. And although he scored like 32 goals in total this season, he made 18 assists too.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #85: Jun 04, 2012 11:04:55 pm
      I think you're wrong Semple. He's very comfortable on the ball for a big guy. That's why he played on the 10 position for a while at Twente when they still had Marc Janko, who is more of a limited target man, though good finisher. I've always thought Luuk is more of an allround striker than Carroll, and has far more potential. Luuk is very much a Dutch schooled striker who likes to drop deep and get involved with play, makes space for others, looks for combinations. He's very intelligent and has vision. And although he scored like 32 goals in total this season, he made 18 assists too.

Appreciate you correcting me. I have only seen what is displayed on YouTube do I do apologise. If why you say is correct, that sounds very good. Would I be right be right in saying he is more than just a big man? ;D
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #86: Jun 04, 2012 11:15:26 pm
      If Brendan isn't interested it is probably because he wants a pacier striker (even though De Jong really isn't that slow, but not fast either). But I would still love De Jong here and I think he would be a great fit.
      Bier
      Reply #87: Jun 04, 2012 11:26:55 pm
      Appreciate you correcting me. I have only seen what is displayed on YouTube do I do apologise. If why you say is correct, that sounds very good. Would I be right be right in saying he is more than just a big man? ;D

He certainly is. But I understand if his size might make you think differently. He isn't perfect, I do think because of his physique he lacks some explosiveness. But I guess that comes with the territory. But he's a smart player. And also has the right workrate and mentality. Although he could be more of a b***ard on the field sometimes, but he's working on that.

There's probably not much to find on youtube besides his goals, doesn't show all the other work that he does.

But look at this video. The dribble at the start I think shows he has a good touch and is quite technical for such a big guy. And right after that how he controls the long cross with one touch. And the combinations from 1:43 till 2:15, those through passes are smart.

Best of Luuk de Jong FC Twente

I've seen him all season so not judging him just on those youtube moments, but I think they do show that he's capable of more. And you're right when you say that he does also have some of those qualities that come with a guy of his size, but he is indeed more than that.

And I think Van Marwijk sees that too, because he got called up and has been part of the Dutch team most of this season. And not someone like Ricky Van Wolfswinkel, who's had a good season at Sporting. And also not Bas Dost, who was top scorer in the Dutch league, above Luuk.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #88: Jun 05, 2012 12:10:56 am
      He certainly is. But I understand if his size might make you think differently. He isn't perfect, I do think because of his physique he lacks some explosiveness. But I guess that comes with the territory. But he's a smart player. And also has the right workrate and mentality. Although he could be more of a b***ard on the field sometimes, but he's working on that.

There's probably not much to find on youtube besides his goals, doesn't show all the other work that he does.

But look at this video. The dribble at the start I think shows he has a good touch and is quite technical for such a big guy. And right after that how he controls the long cross with one touch. And the combinations from 1:43 till 2:15, those through passes are smart.

Best of Luuk de Jong FC Twente

I've seen him all season so not judging him just on those youtube moments, but I think they do show that he's capable of more. And you're right when you say that he does also have some of those qualities that come with a guy of his size, but he is indeed more than that.

And I think Van Marwijk sees that too, because he got called up and has been part of the Dutch team most of this season. And not someone like Ricky Van Wolfswinkel, who's had a good season at Sporting. And also not Bas Dost, who was top scorer in the Dutch league, above Luuk.

Wasn't aware he was in the Dutch squad. I shall keep an eye out for him. So u take it you watch a good bit of Dutch football. I know it is very hard to say but would you say he has the potential to succeed in the Premiership as a Liverpool player?
      Bier
      Reply #89: Jun 05, 2012 12:32:26 am
      Wasn't aware he was in the Dutch squad. I shall keep an eye out for him. So u take it you watch a good bit of Dutch football. I know it is very hard to say but would you say he has the potential to succeed in the Premiership as a Liverpool player?

Yeah, right now it looks like he'll take over from Van Persie and Huntelaar as Holland's main striker in a few years, he is seen as the succesor for that position. I think only Castaignos might threaten that at some point if he develops well, but that's a big if. No doubt he has the potential to succeed, the question is only how fast. He's 21. Van Persie at that age only just joined Arsenal. Huntelaar only just joined Ajax. He's certainly not behind them in his development. And he has the right intelligence and mentality to succeed, also because both his parents were professional athletes, he's very focussed on improving and succeeding.

And for a striker he's a relatively low investment, as he's supposed to cost about 12.5 million pounds.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #90: Jun 05, 2012 12:43:50 am
      And for a striker he's a relatively low investment, as he's supposed to cost about 12.5 million pounds.

Interesting view. Admiringly I haven't really seen him so maybe I don't realise his full potential but I think £12.5m for a guy who has never played outside Holland is a bit of a gamble.
      Bier
      Reply #91: Jun 05, 2012 12:47:36 am
      Interesting view. Admiringly I haven't really seen him so maybe I don't realise his full potential but I think £12.5m for a guy who has never played outside Holland is a bit of a gamble.

Only because you don't know him. Did you think 23 million for Suarez was a gamble? That's basically what Luuk would cost in about 2-3 years if he'd play at Ajax.

Quick Reply