Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

We're not tough enough.

Read 5979 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Re: We're not tough enough.
      Reply #23: Nov 15, 2010 08:26:08 pm
      Loved Jimmy Case lost his place to Sami Lee that must have hurt. didnt he leave because of a misdemeanour.Scored some wonderful goals.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #24: Nov 15, 2010 10:12:19 pm

I just think we need to add some more physical play to the game.

Its hard to add physical play to the game when the manager sets you up as "Once you lose the ball retreat to the half way/18 yard line and get back into two banks of four and maintain your shape"

We played Physically against Chelsea in the first half, we hurried and hassled them and were in their faces to retrieve the ball.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #25: Nov 15, 2010 10:49:09 pm
      In past seasons, we never really had a problem dealing physically with such teams as Stoke once Rafa had the measure of these more physical teams.  In essense, we had to press them and let them know we were there.  Roy's approach is to stand off and sit back, which immediately gives them the upper hand.  How he can not see that is just unbelievable.

So, no, I don't agree that we are not physical enough, it's the tactics.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #26: Nov 15, 2010 11:05:39 pm
      We are tough enough our manager has us F***ing sitting off teams though that is the F***ing problem.
      angusmccoatup
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts | 12 
      Reply #27: Nov 15, 2010 11:12:59 pm
      I don't think lack of physicality was the problem except maybe at centre-half -Skrtel has the physique to be a good centre half but isn't. 

His approach to defending set-pieces involving the constant manhandling of his man should have led to one, possibly two, Stoke penalties.  Although shirt pulling is de rigueur nowadays, Skrtel seems to be one of the worst and most blatant offenders and his marking technique needs to be addressed sharply.

If anything, the game called into question the mental toughness of the side and by extension the ethos of the manager.  Roll back 6 hours and look at the response at Villa Park to an adverse situation - much as you hate him, the mental qualities that SAF instils into his side are what make his sides so difficult to beat and ones that seem so lacking in the side under Roy Hodgson.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #28: Nov 16, 2010 12:14:16 am
      We don't press enough. But crucially we don't move at all off the ball. It looks absolutely horrific on tv. That's been the case for the past year and a bit so it's not just a problem that has been dug up by Hodgson.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #29: Nov 16, 2010 08:00:53 am
      That's been the case for the past year and a bit so it's not just a problem that has been dug up by Hodgson.

Agreed. ...

...but Hodgson is the man who's been detailed to "improve" on that. Oh. Holy. F**k.  :lmao:

kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #30: Nov 23, 2010 12:13:10 pm
      In past seasons, we never really had a problem dealing physically with such teams as Stoke once Rafa had the measure of these more physical teams.  In essense, we had to press them and let them know we were there.  Roy's approach is to stand off and sit back, which immediately gives them the upper hand.  How he can not see that is just unbelievable.

Spot on!
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #31: Nov 23, 2010 12:21:44 pm
      To be honest, a lot of teams struggle against teams like Stoke, Bolton and Wolves. They struggle with toughness. Its a a problem but there are other pressing matters, such as player-recruitment, that need to be addressed first.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #32: Nov 23, 2010 12:22:16 pm
      To be honest, a lot of teams struggle against teams like Stoke, Bolton and Wolves. They struggle with toughness. Its a a problem but there are other pressing matters, such as player-recruitment, that need to be addressed first.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,345 posts | 1532 
      Reply #33: Nov 23, 2010 11:09:03 pm
      I'v been saying for months that Lucas gets bullied against these sort of teams, and just isn't up to it at this level. Then he has a stormer against Chelsea, just hope he keeps that up against Spurs.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #34: Nov 24, 2010 12:07:15 am
      I think Skertl is a monster and has no problem taking it to anyone on the pitch and Lucas is 50/50. Sometimes he is physical and plays tough and at other times he just seems to sit off the ball and waits for something to happen.

I think Reina is probably the baddest f**ker on the team. He challenges every striker that comes into that box and at times to a fault.

I just want to see more physical play. I think the game has changed from the silky smooth passing and finesse shots, to a more physical and tactical game which is faster, harder and were slowly seeing that only a few players now have the skills to actually dribble it past the defense and score. Were seeing more goals from long shots and straight up power.   Do you think someone like Pele could still play and be as successful as he was?
      Hollidey
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #35: Nov 24, 2010 04:51:41 am
      We need stronger CB. my choice is Hangeland.   :boxing:
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #36: Nov 24, 2010 05:51:24 am
      Kyrgiakos is strong enough to be our back four, he simply must be starting XI
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #37: Nov 24, 2010 06:27:01 am
      We shouldn't be relying on being tough enough.  There's enough quality in this squad to pass the likes of Stoke/Blackburn/Wolves/Sunderland off the pitch.  We've got Kyrgiakos in defense to deal with their long-ball approach, hardly rocket science.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #38: Nov 24, 2010 02:05:38 pm
      I don't think it's all about being tough. At the end of the day, tactics have to be right an it all comes down to managerial decisions. To think of it, we created many more chances under Rafa.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #39: Nov 24, 2010 02:22:22 pm
      Down to tactics, not being tough. If we attack then and pass the ball well then no matter how tough the opposition is they will have to play.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #40: Nov 25, 2010 11:25:14 am
      Jimmy Case.
      A hero of mine.

Although he got an under 21 cap he never made the full England team whilst playing in a Liverpool side full of internationals.
      He could stand head and shoulders above his team mates on some days and his work rate was unbelievevable.
      A Garston lad he could mix it with the best out there.

Scored a blinder in the 77 Final against the Scum...

i love that man, he was a tough nut but was so good on the ball.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,157 posts | 261 
      Reply #41: Nov 25, 2010 03:09:41 pm

This.
      imo, no team can win the league with only physically tough players, anyway it's still necessary especially lack of physically tough might causing injury.

Quick Reply