Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Is Sammy Lee the right man for the job?

Read 3628 times
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,730 posts |
      Is Sammy Lee the right man for the job?
      Nov 16, 2010 09:44:55 am
       Seeing Chelsea sack their assistant manager Wilkins made me think about the ability of Sammy Lee to do the job here. Someone here said all our problems began when Sammy came here. Personally don't know if it's something to do with it. I would like to ask you : Is Sammy Lee the right man for the job, or should he go along with Roy??
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Is Sammy Lee the right man for the job?
      Reply #1: Nov 16, 2010 09:48:28 am
      Personally I'd let him go with Roy.

We need a fresh approach with a new manager and assistant.

scott_hutchy
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 91 posts |
      Reply #2: Nov 16, 2010 10:01:13 am
      I don't see there anything being wrong him being the number 3 or 4, he has put a lot of service in for the club and being an experienced liverpool player am sure he has many words of encouragement for the young lads coming through, but I agree we need fresh Ideas for a new number 1 and 2 guy to come in.
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #3: Nov 16, 2010 10:48:48 am
      I don't necessarily agree we need an entirely fresh approach, Dalglish taking over wouldn't really represent massive changes just a more sensible approach to the playing side of things. Regardless of whether we need an outside man or King Kenny gets it, Sammy Lee is not the man for us, I doubt he'd ever command the repect of the players and do my think he's got the right attributes to take over a club this size. Pointing to Woy as a comparative example of my point.

Agree with the above, think Sammy has to go WHEN (not if because it's inevitable) Woy does.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #4: Nov 16, 2010 11:34:27 am
      With all due respect to Sammy, he doesn't have what it takes to be Liverpool manager.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,716 posts | 7164 
      Reply #5: Nov 16, 2010 12:44:19 pm
      My understanding is he is a good coach on the training ground
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,489 posts | 8675 
      Reply #6: Nov 16, 2010 01:19:00 pm
      I don't necessarily agree we need an entirely fresh approach, Dalglish taking over wouldn't really represent massive changes just a more sensible approach to the playing side of things. Regardless of whether we need an outside man or King Kenny gets it, Sammy Lee is not the man for us, I doubt he'd ever command the repect of the players and do my think he's got the right attributes to take over a club this size. Pointing to Woy as a comparative example of my point.

Agree with the above, think Sammy has to go WHEN (not if because it's inevitable) Woy does.

Look how well that turned out in the summer!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #7: Nov 16, 2010 01:26:49 pm
      Look how well that turned out in the summer!

When I said fresh approach, I mean a good tactical manager as at the moment Roy only knows one tactic route one football, but I also believe the assistant is also important to the manager and if the new manager want's his own man by all means he should get him irrespective of Sammy's standing at the club.

Having Sammy thrust/forced upon a new manager would not be the ideal start to his Anfield career for him personally if that is not what he wanted.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #8: Nov 16, 2010 01:31:27 pm
      While Hodgson has made things worse this season, Liverpool problems started last year, and Sammy, as other members of the coaching staff, may have some responsability in the two failed seasons.

Now we can't really know what's going on in the staff, but it looks clear that there are some problems probably not Hodgson related. When players are unable to pass or position themselves correctly the people in charge of the daily training are the logical first suspects of not doing their job correctly. While Roy tactic is bad, I don't think it's sufficient to explain the actual level of under performance.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #9: Nov 16, 2010 03:57:42 pm
      Not for me .
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #10: Nov 16, 2010 04:53:36 pm
      Nah. Passionate as they get, but that isn't enough at this level. We need to appoint a number 2 who is willing to offer their own opinion to the manager, so they can bounce ideas off each other, and if the manager leaves a number 2 who is more than capable of taking up the reigns.

Didn't we used to do that? Oh yes, we did, but according to pundits and others 'time move on'. My response to that, is look at Barca, appointed from within someone who has been at the club as a player and then a manager at the youth teams. And they are arguably the best team in the world.

We need a number 2 who is young (ish) and able to step up if the job becomes available. Sick of the same names always being knocked around constantly. What happened to a bit of risk taking?
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #11: Nov 16, 2010 06:07:46 pm
      King Kenny and Thommo would be the ideal pairing with Kenny as manager and Phil as his assistant. But Roy and Sammy will get my backing till the day they/he leaves. If Roy was to go Sammy Lee would have to go aswell imo.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #12: Nov 16, 2010 06:14:13 pm
      Err no i dont think so ,dont think sammy could cut it at anfield as the boss,he didnt do to well at bolton did he .The anfield hotspot would be a bit much.IMO.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,289 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #13: Nov 16, 2010 06:23:55 pm
      No no no no no
      kenny the king
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,757 posts |
      • at the end of the storm there,s a golden sky
      Reply #14: Nov 16, 2010 07:03:10 pm
      with a great respect for sammy i dont think he is the right man......and actualy i think he should go with roy we need a fresh mangement
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #15: Nov 16, 2010 07:27:08 pm
       When I compare Sammy Lee to Phil Thompson then I would say Sammy has failed in his job,this is a disappointment to me as I expected Sammy to do well when he was appointed.I get the opinion right or wrong that Sammy is out of his depth and is used as an office boy by Hodgson.Now Sammy could go well with another manager but I am afraid he will never make the top job at Anfield.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #16: Nov 16, 2010 07:30:47 pm
      I have heard Carra and Stevie speak highly of him as a coach so maybe that should be his job- First Team Coach.
      And when a new manager comes in, he can choose his own assistant..
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #17: Nov 16, 2010 07:37:45 pm
      I have heard Carra and Stevie speak highly of him as a coach so maybe that should be his job-

That is probably because they can understand what Sammy is saying to them, SCOUSE coaches are scarce these days.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #18: Nov 16, 2010 07:47:55 pm
      Just like Roy, he is more suited to a mid-table club. He is a good coach, but I just don't think the rold he currently has at the club is the best one for him. Then again, his motivational skills could be of more use. As the OP said, it is a bit of a coincedence that all the problems arose when he joined. I think Ayestarán was a big loss to the club, much like Queiroz at United at the time. Assistant Managers can have a bigger influence on a team that many would suggest. In GAA, the management team usually consists of a manager, selector and trainer. He would defintely be the manager, who has less of a hands on role, but more of a motivator, the trainer is the main man there really.

Thommo for me would make a better right-hand man.

Also, anyone else think its weird that this topic is only coming up now, when performanes are poor and Roy's method's are being questioned.
      « Last Edit: Nov 16, 2010 07:53:17 pm by little-Luis:) »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #19: Nov 17, 2010 04:46:25 am
      Sammy will probably go before Roy I think, Roy will be looking to deflect as much blame from himself as possible and Sammy might get the brunt of it.
      kopite_mortalimRo
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #20: Nov 17, 2010 09:24:58 am
      With all due respect to Sammy, he doesn't have what it takes to be Liverpool manager.

Agree, but I'd love to consider in this way, Sammy would do better than Roy although both of them are the journeyman
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #21: Nov 17, 2010 12:24:42 pm
      No, he is not.  But would I be happy for him to step-in as a caretaker? Yes.  It would mean Roy has gone and I don't see Sammy doing any worse.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,132 posts | 127 
      Reply #22: Nov 17, 2010 06:36:01 pm
      Have to agree with the general consensus of opinion that Sammy is not really up to the job.
      The first poster stated that someone said that our problems started when Sammy came here, but I think thats unfair.
      I think our troubles started, not when Sammy came, but when Pako Ayeseran left.

Quick Reply