Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

The Beatles Back Catalogue Finally Released on Itunes!

Read 1803 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      The Beatles Back Catalogue Finally Released on Itunes!
      Nov 16, 2010 05:31:55 pm
      The Beatles' back catalogue has appeared on Apple's iTunes for the very first time.

The band are one of the last remaining major artists to go on sale at the popular music store.

Their arrival follows years of legal battles between The Beatles' record label, Apple Corps Ltd, and the computing giant.

The case between the two companies was settled in 2007.

After that, as Paul McCartney explained to the BBC's Newsbeat back in January, it was only a matter of time.

"We'd like to do it," he said, "I know people would like the facility, I know iTunes would like to do it, so one day it's going to happen."

Single albums are now available for £10.99 each, double albums for £17.99 each and despite predictions individual songs wouldn't be available, you can download them for £0.99 each.

The price for the albums is still more expensive than CD versions of the records at some other major online retailers, including Amazon.

"I am particularly glad to no longer be asked when the Beatles are coming to iTunes."
          Ringo Starr

Or as the band worriedaboutsatan pointed out on Twitter: "Has apple not realised that you can pretty much get the entire beatles back catalogue for about £3.50 from any charity shop in the land?"

Beatles to dominate the chart?

Bookmakers are predicting an influx of Beatles tunes into the Official UK Charts; William Hill are offering 10/1 odds that there will be a Top 10 made up completely of Beatles songs by the end of 2011, and 6/1 that Hey Jude is The Beatles next number one.

But Martin Talbot from the Official Charts Company isn't so convinced.

"It's incredibly difficult to say, " he told 6 Music. "At the moment the singles market is very strong so I think for any individual track to have a big impact on the top 10 it would have to do very well indeed, and the reality is that a lot of the impact will be across the entire Beatles catalogue."

The delay in getting bringing the fab four into the digital age was acknowledged in a statement from Apple's CEO Steve Jobs.

"It has been a long and winding road to get here," he said. "Thanks to the Beatles and EMI, we are now realising a dream we've had since we launched iTunes ten years ago."

Ringo Starr also seems relieved a decision has finally been made, saying: "I am particularly glad to no longer be asked when the Beatles are coming to iTunes."

Boost for troubled EMI

The timing comes after a particularly hard few weeks for The Beatles' record label EMI, Ben Rumley of Enders Analysis says the extra iTunes revenue will be a welcome relief for them.

"They'll make some money selling The Beatles once again, they're very good at exploiting them," he told BBC 6 Music.

"It will give them a bit of a digital boost. The Beatles were about 10% of their sales in the US last year, excluding digital, so having The Beatles available online can clearly be a good thing for them."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20101116_apple.shtml

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: The Beatles Back Catalogue Finally Released on Itunes!
      Reply #1: Nov 16, 2010 05:49:49 pm
      But I already have all their music on my i pod. . . I mean. . . Er. . . No I dont. This is great news to me ;)
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #2: Nov 16, 2010 06:46:39 pm
      I definatley already have them on my I-pod.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #3: Nov 16, 2010 10:41:55 pm
      Really not arsed.

And I hate downloading music. CD's still all the way for me. Saddens me that the tangible aspect of music is being lost...
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,242 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #4: Nov 17, 2010 03:41:04 pm
      CD.s for me everytime
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5: Nov 17, 2010 03:49:17 pm
      Really not arsed.

And I hate downloading music. CD's still all the way for me. Saddens me that the tangible aspect of music is being lost...

Agree. Having a CD means so much more. It's a pleasure pulling out a cd from your shelf and holding it in your hands a looking through the notes. Having it in physical form is just a no brainer!

Thankfully I have all The Beatles cds on my ipod but it's still good for them to be released on itunes to a more youthful and ignorant audience.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #6: Nov 17, 2010 03:49:45 pm
      Got it all on CD anyway. Must have every track they recorded on compilation CD's and actual album CD.
      Even got a lot of vinyl which i never use now on account df the quality being poo.
      « Last Edit: Nov 18, 2010 07:48:26 am by stuey »
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #7: Nov 17, 2010 04:13:57 pm
      Already have it on my Ipod.

Dont understand the big wait, but if someone had an Ipod and liked the Beatles, they already figured out a way to load the songs. Just a guess.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #8: Nov 17, 2010 04:38:49 pm
      Agree with he comments about cds. I use the internet to find new music, but I buy all the music I like. There is something about having my collection
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #9: Nov 17, 2010 05:01:10 pm
      CD's have no Soul! 12" of Vinyl That has soul, only problem is playing the buggers
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #10: Nov 17, 2010 05:11:30 pm
      Problem with vinyl sadly is that they are just completely impractical.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #11: Nov 17, 2010 05:18:27 pm
      They are now, but they weren't.

But back to the so called "Fab 4". I won't be downloading any.

I have Beatles for Sale and the average track length is 2:30. Way too short.

But pesonally, I can live very well with out them, so count me out.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #12: Nov 17, 2010 06:12:32 pm
      The quality of sound with CD's means I haven't played vinyl for years, digital technology means that even the earliest recordings are vastly improved.

Quick Reply