Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Joan Capdevila (Villarreal)

Read 2793 times
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Joan Capdevila (Villarreal)
      Nov 24, 2010 05:18:46 am
      Liverpool on alert over Joan Capdevila contract wrangle
      Liverpool waiting to pounce on Spanish World Cup star

Published 23:00 23/11/10 By John Cross

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson has been put on alert after World Cup winner Joan Capdevila hit a contract stalemate with Villarreal.

Left back Capdevila, 32, is a free agent next summer and wants a two-year deal but the Spanish club are reluctant to commit themselves beyond a 12 month contract.

That has left Capdevila's agent Horacio Gaggioli admitting the Spain international could move to the Premier League this summer after Liverpool were sounded out.

Capdevila is very close to Spanish team mate Pepe Reina and Liverpool could yet be a destination if he becomes available on a free transfer. Juventus are also watching developments.

Gaggioli said: "There are offers on the table but we're waiting on Villarreal. He's happy there but he would also like a contract that reflects his work on the field. We will have further talks in the future."

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Liverpool-on-alert-over-Joan-Capdevila-s-contract-wrangle-with-Villarreal-article635097.html

Biggest case of putting two and two together I've seen in a while but thought I'd pop it on here anyway.

The Mirror have no doubt conducted extensive research into NESV and our potential future direction and come up with this? Oh dear.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Joan Capdevila (Villarreal)
      Reply #1: Nov 24, 2010 06:54:52 am
      He's sh*t anyway as a defender.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2: Nov 24, 2010 08:55:35 am

32 year old and sh*t, fits right in with Roy's transfer policy ;D
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #3: Nov 24, 2010 09:55:42 am
      He's a bit old. I don't really rate him anyway.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #4: Nov 24, 2010 10:31:10 am
      Can't believe this. He's 32 years old and the only reason he's playing in the Spain first XI is because Spain don't really have really good natural left backs compared to their other positions where they have big names for it.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Nov 24, 2010 10:45:05 am
      Can't believe this. He's 32 years old and the only reason he's playing in the Spain first XI is because Spain don't really have really good natural left backs compared to their other positions where they have big names for it.

Spain don't really need good defenders, their midfield and attacking players do the defending by closing down and attacking all the time  ;D

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #6: Nov 24, 2010 12:40:23 pm
      The poorest of the Spanish starting line-up, one of the oldest, and no resale value, everything NESV don't want really.

Think he will be replaced soon for Spain by Monreal, be suprised if he plays or even in the squad for the Euros.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #7: Nov 24, 2010 01:45:53 pm
      I'd take him on a two year deal with an option to extend a further year.  Can play LB (or LM in a pinch).  Aurelio can't be relied upon, Konchesky is poor, Insua is still developing his game.  Showed he's capable of playing at a high level for a high quality team.  Showed he's still got pace and no fitness concerns.  If the signing on fee isn't in the Joe Cole range, why not?  Quality stop-gap.  

Now I know it's not NESV policy, but what if they think about it like this:

We'll buy a young left back who won't be ready for first team action for another two years or so because they're cheaper, this guy will be a stop-gap until then (allows us to sell Konchesky while he's still got some value for maybe £2m) and get him to show this new youngster the ropes and work with him to develop his game.  Capdevila leaves on a free but now the young LB is ready to step up.  The alternative is buying a player like Cissokho or Coentrao who are both ready for first team action and still have full resale value.  If the money they save on a transfer fee between Cissokho/Coentrao and promising young LB who will be ready for first team action in 2 years can cover Capdevila's wages and allow the sale of Konchesky, why not?

edit: really basic example.  figures not correct, but the point is simple.

scenario A

Aurelio, 20k a week = 1m a year
      Konchesky, 30k a week = 1.5m a year
      19yo prospect LB, 10k a week = 500k a year

scenario B

Capdevila, 40k a week = 2m a year
      Aurelio, 20k a week = 1m a year
      19yo prospect LB, 10k a week = 500k a year

Spending an additional 500k a year in scenario B but can sell Konchesky for £2m.

double edit: Konchesky will have no resale value if we don't move him on beginning of next season anyway, Capdevila already has no resale value.  I'd still prefer us to go down the Coentrao/Cissokho road but this isn't entirely bad either.
      « Last Edit: Nov 24, 2010 02:00:54 pm by vitez »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #8: Nov 24, 2010 03:46:57 pm
      NESV want no stop gaps. We're building from scratch and a 32 year old left back is not building for the future. Need to move on from these kinds of signings i feel.

Quick Reply