Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Adam Johnson (Manchester City)

Read 66602 times
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Adam Johnson (Manchester City)
      Nov 24, 2010 03:57:32 pm
      Liverpool should consider a move for Johnson

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/transfer-gossip/liverpool-should-consider-a-move-for-johnson

John Henry spoke on Monday about how the club wouldn't sacrifice the long term for the short term, and while there was money to be spent, January likely won't be the time.

If the transfer market looks that way, then focusing on developing youth would be a wise decision, but what if a 23-year-old English international who fits your exact positional need becomes available?

That may just be the case with Adam Johnson, and if so, Liverpool would be wise to pounce at the opportunity -- and not just because Arsenal, Manchester United or Chelsea will if they don't.

Despite being among the most influential players on the pitch whenever he is used by Manchester City or England, Johnson is used as a substitute with peculiar frequency. It's no surprise that he isn't happy about it.

"It's still early but I would definitely consider it," Johnson said of leaving Eastlands, according to the Telegraph.

"It is disappointing when you are not playing from the start in games like that," he explained, referring to the Manchester Derby. "I was itching to get on. I was dying to play from the start, not just come on."

Johnson started 14 times in his 16 appearances after rising to stardom last season, but he has just five starts in his 12 appearances thus far in 2010-11.

"Last season and in games at the beginning of this season I was still having an impact when I started," he remarked.

Johnson also hinted that he may not be content with manager Roberto Mancini's negative strategies.

"A lot of the players are attacking-minded players and want to attack. But I think what has been important to the manager is getting the shape right and working on our defensive shape," he said.

While Johnson's remarks clearly don't indicate that he imminently wants out, they are indicative of what is a very odd situation at Eastlands.

Even with Manchester City's vast cache of talent, Johnson still should be a staple in the starting 11, and yet, he often plays less than a third of the match.

Poised to be England's next big star, one also has to wonder whether or not he wants to play for a big-four team -- as big as City may be.

At Anfield, Johnson would surely find himself featuring on the wing with the nation's most decorated club. It'd be a tough situation to pass up.

For Liverpool, spending big on Johnson would be a no-brainer as well. Not only does he exactly fit the club's most dire positional need - a natural, pacy wide player - but he's the kind of signing that would both have an immediate impact and be forward-thinking.

Johnson is currently an elite Premier League player and has the potential to be one of the best players in England and a veritable international superstar.

Investing in a youth system is an integral part of building a future for a club, and Liverpool will be wise to take such an approach. Sometimes, though, you don't have to mortgage the future for the present. In Johnson, you can buy them both.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Adam Johnson (Manchester City)
      Reply #1: Nov 24, 2010 04:03:01 pm
      He won't cost in excess of 15m so i would definitely buy him. I think he is absolutely brilliant and exactly what our left wing needs. Superb left foot, quick, scores goals.

If available, he'd be close to my first pick in the January window.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #2: Nov 24, 2010 04:04:03 pm
      Not really linked with us there is he, it's just a journalist's opinion.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #3: Nov 24, 2010 04:05:46 pm
      Not really linked with us there is he, it's just a journalist's opinion.

Thought that myself, but it's on the offal transfer gossip section, so I decided to whack it on here anyway.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #4: Nov 24, 2010 04:58:54 pm
      Great player, I've been saying since before Man City signed him that he was the true talent coming from Middlesbrough, not the overrated Downing we used to be linked to every summer.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5: Nov 24, 2010 05:01:33 pm
      Would take him in a heartbeat. I think these stories will continue to come out of Shitty as long as Mancini is still in charge (and I hope he is).
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #6: Nov 24, 2010 05:08:46 pm
      I think he is one of City's best players and would gladly take him off their hands if they want rid or he wants to leave.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #7: Nov 24, 2010 05:11:37 pm
      If there is the slightest possibility of getting him then I would love us to do it.

Johnson also hinted that he may not be content with manager Roberto Mancini's negative strategies
      suggests he wouldn't be a fan of Roy though!

LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #8: Nov 24, 2010 05:27:14 pm
      City won't sell him.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #9: Nov 24, 2010 05:40:04 pm

Think they might do to be honest.

He's "not a big enough name" for them.

I'd love him here. He has everything we lack for the flanks and has an eye for goal too. Young with the time to develop further as well. Typical NESV signing on paper isn't it?
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #10: Nov 24, 2010 05:42:32 pm
      City won't sell him to ANY rival clubs in England (Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, LFC, Tottenham, Villa, Everton).... none of the aforementioned clubs have a shot in hell of landing him.  Look at what they did with Bellamy.  There were loads of interested clubs in the prem, but City didn't want to aid their rivals, even if it meant taking less than what he was actually worth.  They (City) have the money to buy players other teams want, and if they don't work out for them, then they ship them off to a lower level club or a foreign country.  Its bull sh*t that they are basically buying their way toward a trophy, but it is the reality at hand....
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #11: Nov 24, 2010 05:44:29 pm
      If we got himself and Hazard I think I would explode. You might find me on a pub crawl in Liverpool with some folk from here. Not that I'm getting my hopes up. It is after all another speculative - I want that one - comment
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #12: Nov 24, 2010 08:14:25 pm
      If we got himself and Hazard I think I would explode. You might find me on a pub crawl in Liverpool with some folk from here. Not that I'm getting my hopes up. It is after all another speculative - I want that one - comment
      Like this.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #13: Nov 24, 2010 08:29:08 pm
      Hazard, Mata or himself on the left for us and I would be made up, fantastic player, very underrated.
      Cuttsy888
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 295 posts |
      Reply #14: Nov 24, 2010 08:45:48 pm
      He plays better cutting in from the right and using his left foot
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #15: Nov 24, 2010 09:52:43 pm
      yes please
      not many wingers of his ilk around these days well English ones anyway
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #16: Nov 24, 2010 09:54:18 pm
      Doubt he would come here sadly.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #17: Nov 24, 2010 10:29:39 pm
      I thought Rafa wanted him before he went to City? (and the old no money fiasco reared its head).  Like a couple of others have said, I doubt very much he fits the Roy 'profile'.  Wouldn't mind him, if he lays off the pop.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #18: Nov 24, 2010 10:57:42 pm
      I would love him but we aint getting him.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #19: Nov 25, 2010 03:31:38 am
      Man City would not sell him. simple as.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #20: Nov 25, 2010 03:37:36 am
      Not gonna get my hopes up, but love to have him. Good young player, fits the NESV bill all good - and English as well. Would be the perfect fit.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #21: Nov 25, 2010 10:28:14 am
      I'm a big fan of Adam Johnson, love the way he plays, if we got him, wouldn't know which Johnson to have on my shirt, Adam, Glen or myself  :lmao:
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #22: Nov 25, 2010 10:32:48 am
      City wont sell him, he is their sub right winger. They wont weaken their squad, and certainly wouldn't make ours stronger by selling to us.

Quick Reply