Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Adam Johnson (Manchester City)

Read 66603 times
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Re: Adam Johnson (Manchester City)
      Reply #690: Aug 21, 2012 06:18:27 pm
      I wonder if City will use Johnson as a carrott to get Agger?.

If they try that they can take their "carrott" turn it sideways and shove it up..... you get the point. (no pun intended :P )

Sterling is a while off being a first team regular, it's unfair to throw him in the deep end like that.

Assaidi is unknown to 99% of us. No one knows how he's going to turn out.

Downing.... well he's Downing, there's a full thread describing him!

We've lost Bellamy, Maxi and Kuyt, 3 wide players. And we have Assaidi and Borini in return.

If the price is right get Johnson in. If not I'd like to think our scouts have more than this lined up. I'd welcome Johnson here no doubt, but not without assessing and minimizing the risk. I want the best option, not the first option.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,665 posts | 883 
      Reply #691: Aug 21, 2012 07:34:19 pm
      Not really. They've benefitted massively from the Emirates stadium. I mean they really have taken full advantage of that stadium move. That place seems to be rolling in the money. Yes selling players helps but also the fact that buying those players for pittance just shows that Arsenal are the ideal model at the moment. They don't have to sell those players but they are following their own strict financial rules at the moment. And yet still they compete at the highest level in Europe.

yepp i took that up while ago. their stadium naming contract cant be legal. The owner of city is relative of major share holder of etihad airlines. There could be a private deal which the public are not aware of.

City are a big club but that etihad deal was outrages, even barca would struggle to land that one. im saying what if the deal is a "favour" to tripple City's income, pass the fifa rules and then go back to etihad somehow from another type of business.

The biggest players in middle east are distantet related to each other through the royal family. They own various kind of businesses and ready to bail each other out if needed. Maybe im being paranoid here. i dont know =/
      anoop
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      • Liverpool fan till i die !!..
      Reply #692: Aug 21, 2012 08:38:23 pm
      @ESPNFC
      We understand Spurs & Liverpool have both made official approaches to Manchester City about signing winger Adam Johnson.
      anoop
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #693: Aug 21, 2012 08:50:57 pm
      I think spurs are really serous on AJ. A left footed inverted had prime importance in AVB's tactics,(hulk and sturridge). Wouldn't be surprised if spurs signed him and AJ revives his career there,as AVB gives a free role for that position.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #694: Aug 21, 2012 08:58:15 pm
      I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson chose us over Spurs. He has to contend with Lennon and Bale for starting spots, with us it would be Downing and Borini.
      anoop
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #695: Aug 21, 2012 09:01:05 pm
      I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson chose us over Spurs. He has to contend with Lennon and Bale for starting spots, with us it would be Downing and Borini.

It ll depend upon the wages we are offering i guess. Hope we ll have financial power to compete with spurs. 
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #696: Aug 21, 2012 09:02:45 pm
      We have opened up a lot of money on the wage bill for younger players so we should in theory have enough in that department it's just how much we are willing to pay him. At least Spurs haven't got CL and if he came to us he probably wouldn't have to move house.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #697: Aug 21, 2012 09:03:23 pm
      Is he better than Downing.?
      I only ask because its so long since I have seen him play I cant remember.

I'm better than Downing. Though Adam Johnson is not as special as is made out on here IMO. He has moments of individual brilliance but he is selfish and drifts in and out of games. Mancini doesn't like the way he neglects the defensive side of his game either. Guess it won't matter too much if he's playing right forward in a 4-3-3 though.
      anoop
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #698: Aug 21, 2012 09:05:59 pm
      We have opened up a lot of money on the wage bill for younger players so we should in theory have enough in that department it's just how much we are willing to pay him. At least Spurs haven't got CL and if he came to us he probably wouldn't have to move house.

Let's hope so. Don't want to hear another 'rejected by player ' story :(
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #699: Aug 21, 2012 09:30:33 pm
      And yet still they compete at the highest level in Europe
      And win nothing.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #700: Aug 21, 2012 09:34:21 pm
      Try going on the gunners site and see if they are happy winning nothing.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #701: Aug 21, 2012 09:37:58 pm
      Really...;D..

I swear thats why JWH's fuming, because nobody but us is preparing for this??

I just assuming but does anyone know if other teams are keeping this in mind??

Publicly they all spout the same message the FFP rules are great,privately they know they could not be enforced and if they were Barca,Madrid,etc would be out of the CL .What do you think Platini could force a European super league by his actions.
      They will not take off.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #702: Aug 21, 2012 09:38:52 pm
      I'll take their CL footy every year whilst still being able to attract top quality players over our Carling Cup win and 8th in the league.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #703: Aug 21, 2012 09:42:48 pm

Just because its becomes mandatory to finish top four you should never take that luxury for granted.. We did and... Well.....

Top four is the perfect place to pounce...? If you can compete, re-jig and get UCL doe whilst still finishing up there, I'd be happy..?

I'd rather have their frustration of always finishing top 4 without winning owt knowing "A bit more money" should help us there, over an occasional domestic cup and a mid table finish..

A distinct football style with well run club?.. Not bad really. Its just, will they spend that little bit extra...

I do think Brendans style when up and fully functioning SHOULD be better to watch than their particular style...
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #704: Aug 21, 2012 09:49:13 pm

Past results are not indicative of future performance.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #705: Aug 21, 2012 09:59:24 pm
      We understand Spurs & Liverpool have both
      made official approaches to Manchester City
      about signing winger Adam Johnson. (via @ESPNFC)

Only time will tell..Should be sorted by the weekend??
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #706: Aug 21, 2012 10:00:03 pm
      Past results are not indicative of future performance.
      God help us if we're modelling ourselves on them , they've been financially secure and still win nothing . They can't hold onto their best players ffs.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #707: Aug 21, 2012 10:04:00 pm
      We have done well holding onto our best players as well - we just don't compete in the CL and again this season they will finish above us.

bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #708: Aug 21, 2012 10:11:19 pm
      We have done well holding onto our best players as well - we just don't compete in the CL and again this season they will finish above us.

Is that you mystic Meg.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #709: Aug 21, 2012 10:12:57 pm
      God help us if we're modelling ourselves on them , they've been financially secure and still win nothing . They can't hold onto their best players ffs.

If they would take that CL money each year and spend it instead of pocketing it then they might win more.

Can't get over how people knock what they do, its like saying the Bundisliga is sh*te.

You can complain that they don't spend the money they are making and I would agree, but that does not mean we can't improve our squad with CL money just because they don't.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #710: Aug 21, 2012 10:15:01 pm

No it's going by the facts of the previous decade bar 2 seasons.

Every year people right off Arsenal after they sell a player and every year Wenger gets them into CL - we are miles away from them.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #711: Aug 21, 2012 10:20:54 pm
      If they would take that CL money each year and spend it instead of pocketing it then they might win more.

Can't get over how people knock what they do, its like saying the Bundisliga is sh*te.

You can complain that they don't spend the money they are making and I would agree, but that does not mean we can't improve our squad with CL money just because they don't.

Exactly, people love being extreme about everything - "Arsenal haven't won anything, so they're rubbish" - instead of taking the positives from other clubs' experiences and applying them to our own. Just because Arsenal are not willing to spend the extra cash that would take them to the very top it doesn't mean they can't teach everyone else a lesson. They've sold their key players time and time again yet they always manage to replace them and keep the level of performance extremely high. Great scouting, a lot of bargains, great coaching and great style of play. It is just an apparent lack of ambition that keeps them from challenging for the title; but they also have lessons for a lot of clubs to learn from.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #712: Aug 21, 2012 10:25:42 pm
      Exactly, people love being extreme about everything - "Arsenal haven't won anything, so they're rubbish" - instead of taking the positives from other clubs' experiences and applying them to our own. Just because Arsenal are not willing to spend the extra cash that would take them to the very top it doesn't mean they can't teach everyone else a lesson. They've sold their key players time and time again yet they always manage to replace them and keep the level of performance extremely high. Great scouting, a lot of bargains, great coaching and great style of play. It is just an apparent lack of ambition that keeps them from challenging for the title; but they also have lessons for a lot of clubs to learn from.
      That's what I was thinking for some time now. If they hadn't Wenger I think they'd be competing with Villa for a mid-table place with the money they spend.

Quick Reply