racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: The Dirty Rotten Grunge Thread - Music For The Misguided
      Reply #69: Oct 03, 2012 04:36:38 pm
      Ha ha.
      Check this Pearl Jam. Er. Them Barrels song out.

Them BarreLs - "pocket promise" video

http://www.myspace.com/thembarrels

Hands up if you sound like Vedder.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #70: Oct 03, 2012 04:40:37 pm

Them Barrels

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #71: Oct 03, 2012 04:57:14 pm
      Check this Pearl Jam. Er. Them Barrels song out.

Hahaha! Blatant!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #72: Oct 04, 2012 11:47:11 am
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #73: Oct 08, 2012 02:19:39 pm

Here they are doing a cover.

Pearl Jam - Jeremy
      Bier
      Reply #74: Mar 05, 2013 05:41:21 pm
      Posted some songs from this band in the what are you listening to thread and then rememberd about this grunge thread. Been listening to Metz's self titled album alot lately, loving it. Some of their stuff is very grungy. If I had to describe their overall sound on the album then it's along the lines of noise punk grunge. What do you guys think?

METZ - Dirty Shirt

Metz - Wasted [OFFICIAL VIDEO]

METZ - Knife in the Water
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #75: Apr 05, 2013 04:49:54 pm
      Not a very good day for grunge this one.

Both Kurt Cobain and Layne Staley died on the 5th day of April.

RIP. Two legends.

It will be a dream come true watching Alice in Chains @ Rock in Rio later this year, but without Layne it won't be the same.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #76: Apr 05, 2013 04:58:39 pm
      RIP Kurt and Layne.
      RIP Grunge.

Nah F**k that, rest in peace?
      Sounds all wrong.

Thanks for the rocking music when we needed it.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #77: Jun 28, 2013 09:59:11 am
      Why Is Hip Hop (And the Rest of Pop Culture) Still So Obsessed With Kurt Cobain?

By Tom Hawking on Jun 27, 2013 12:17pm

In further proof that 2013 is the year of the shameless publicity stunt, Jay-Z has spent the last week or so drip-feeding the world lyrics for his upcoming album Magna Carta Holy Grail. He’s released three to date, of which the most fascinating is “Holy Grail,” a somber meditation on fame and love that borrows the chorus from Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit.” (The second lyric released from the record, “Heaven,” references R.E.M’s “Losing My Religion” — sadly, however, “Oceans” does not contain any lyrics from Pearl Jam’s “Oceans,” which surely represents a missed opportunity to keep the ’90s alt-rock streak going.)

There’s been plenty of interest in the idea of Jay-Z using Nirvana lyrics, not least because the ever-voluble Courtney Love has been talking about it (“Frances would freak [if she knew about it]!”) At least one commentator has whacked up some pretty impressive strawman outrage around the idea that “white blog nerds” will be upset about a rapper jacking “their” culture, but really, there’s been very little such anger, perhaps because the rap/rock divide these days is less a chasm and more a modest little fissure over which one can hop back and forth with minimal effort.

In fact, there’s a fairly long history of hip-hop types referencing Cobain in their lyrics and/or public statements. In one respect, he’s just a convenient reference for suicide — The Game’s “Take me away like a bullet from Kurt Cobain,” for instance, or 2Pac’s 1994 proclamation that he wasn’t going to “blow my brains out like Kurt Cobain.”

But the connection goes deeper than that — Jay-Z himself has spoken about his admiration for Cobain in the past, and he’s not the only one. (And, from the sublime to the ridiculous, there’s also Tyler, the Creator, who in the process of bitching about having to do a Rolling Stone interview a couple of years back threatened to “do what Kurt did… I’m going,” and later had to get back on Twitter to clarify that he meant “not kill myself, wear a shirt that says ‘F**k your magazine.’” Good job, Tyler.)

Really, though, this isn’t just a hip hop phenomenon — it’s a manifestation of an ongoing wider cultural obsession. So why is pop culture still so fascinated with Cobain, nearly 20 years after he shot himself?

The easy answer is that, well, he’s dead. If he were still alive today, he’d be in his mid-40s, and in god knows what sort of state. Maybe he’d have cleaned up and become some sort of Stipean alt-rock elder statesman, or maybe he’d be as compelling an ongoing drama as his wife has proven. No one will ever know. Instead, he’s forever the tortured, long-haired avatar of the early ’90s, the last great rock star, the poster boy for what risible music writers insist on calling the 27 Club.

Cobain’s role in culture today is perhaps the best example of the way death also represents a transition from personality into mythology. In death, he has become less a three-dimensional character and more a two-dimensional symbol for any number of aspects of rock ‘n’ roll mythology. He’s a cautionary embodiment of the price of fame, the archetypal romantic tortured artist, the perpetual teenage rebel. In death, he’s become a brand that can be plastered onto a T-shirt or a tote and sold, an image that denotes a certain way of approaching the world, a prepackaged cultural experience.

One suspects that Cobain would have hated the idea of himself as a rock ‘n’ roll martyr as much as he hated the idea of himself as a global megastar. But that’s beside the point, because he doesn’t have a say in it any more.

He’s hardly the first dead rock star to be rearticulated back into popular culture as a cardboard cutout of what he was in life, of course — pretty much every other sufficiently famous musician who died young has become a sort of cipher for a certain aspect of rock ‘n’ roll mythology. There’s Jeff Buckley, for instance (unabashed romantic, cheekbones, too tragically sensitive for this world). Or Jim Morrison (Jesus Christ pose, psychedelics, the ’60s, Paris cemetery). Hip hop has its own versions, too — Tupac and Biggie, obviously, but also TLC’s Left Eye, NWA’s Eazy-E, and the immortal Ol’ Dirty b***ard, and sadly far too many others.

It’s difficult to see any sort of celebrity as an entirely three-dimensional figure, and indeed, the conflict between perception and reality — and the attempts of both the celebrity in question and the public who are essentially consumers of that person’s image to manipulate both sides of the equation — are among the most complicated aspects of our celebrity-obsessed culture. But in life, the celebrity’s actions influence both perception and reality. In death, they’re what T.S. Eliot called “a heap of broken images.”

All this means that, as a culture, we’re not so much fascinated with the reality of Cobain as we are with the mythology of Cobain. Look at the way Jay-Z references him in “Holy Grail”: “I know… nobody to blame/ Kurt Cobain/ I did it to myself.” He doesn’t even have to say “like Kurt Cobain”  — just a simple evocation of the man’s name is enough to provide a whole lot of explanation as to how Jay-Z’s feeling. It’s a triumph of semiotics. If you had no idea who Kurt Cobain was, of course, the line would mean nothing, but that’s the point — everyone knows who Kurt Cobain was.

And everyone knows what Kurt Cobain means. The question of whether what Kurt Cobain means in death has anything to do with what he meant in life is really only of interest to the minority of people who actually think about such things — music bloggers who have too much time on their hands, academics teaching pop-cultural history, and the people who dictate the fate of his legacy. For everyone else, he’s the gaunt face staring out from behind his lank blond hair, the guy in the white sunglasses sticking his middle finger up at the camera, the forlorn figure with the cardigan on MTV Unplugged. He’s a shared cultural experience. An image. A symbol.

Link

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #78: Jul 04, 2013 12:31:56 am
      Possibly the greatest soundtrack you've never heard of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singles_(soundtrack)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #79: Jul 04, 2013 01:15:56 am

Bought it after I saw the movie the first time.

Chloe dancer/Crown of thorns and Seasons are my favorites.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #80: Jul 04, 2013 01:26:29 am

That's also on Pearl Jams Lost Dogs and they've played it live.
      Brilliant.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #81: Jul 05, 2013 03:29:08 am
      I graduated High School in 90'....and I can say I was SOOOOO lucky.  I spent 90'-96' doing nothing but listening to music and going to concerts with my friends. I saw every great, classic 90's band. PJ, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Rage Against The Machine, Janes Addiction, Sublime, Cyprus Hill, Anthrax, Slayer, Foo Fighters, Oasis,U2, Dave Matthews Band...etc. Plus numerous Grateful Dead and Rolling Stones shows.

I never saw Nirvana. I had tickets to their show in NYC and actually sold them under the assumption I could see them the next time they come around.....a few months later Cobain was dead.  I am still pissed about that.

I will remember those years as the BEST TIME of my life.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #82: Aug 21, 2013 12:39:45 pm
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #83: Sep 03, 2014 09:37:10 am
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #84: Sep 03, 2014 03:53:34 pm
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #85: Sep 03, 2014 03:59:46 pm
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #86: Dec 23, 2014 12:46:20 pm
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #87: Sep 16, 2015 05:59:50 pm
      Sorry to resurrect this thread, but been listening to Pearl Jam's "Lost Dogs" album lately. How F***ing great is that record?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #88: Sep 16, 2015 10:59:53 pm
      Sorry to resurrect this thread, but been listening to Pearl Jam's "Lost Dogs" album lately. How f**king great is that record?

Word is they have enough material for another Lost Dogs type album.

Read a recent interview with McCready and it sounds like a new PJ album is coming next year.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #89: Sep 17, 2015 10:04:11 am
      Sorry to resurrect this thread, but been listening to Pearl Jam's "Lost Dogs" album lately. How F***ing great is that record?

Don't apologise.
      Always worth a bump and "Lost Dogs" is mega.

Word is they have enough material for another Lost Dogs type album.

Read a recent interview with McCready and it sounds like a new PJ album is coming next year.

YES.
      I need this.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #90: Sep 17, 2015 10:35:16 am
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic