Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match

Pepe Reina
      (1.9%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (4.4%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (8.8%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (35.8%)
      Raul Meireles
      (44%)
      David N'Gog
      (0.6%)
      Maxi Rodriguez
      (4.4%)

Spurs v Liverpool: In-game and post match debate

Read 52109 times
      Salavaria
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 381 posts | 41 
      Re: Spurs v Liverpool: In-game and post match debate
      Reply #805: Nov 28, 2010 07:16:43 pm
      Hard luck, this. Maxi and Torres had golden chances to score. We should have had the game sorted by half time. Skrtel's own goal was blameless. Konchesky, though, for the second... just shows the gulf in class that we're missing on that side of the pitch. I'm not pointing the finger at Roy for this defeat. What was wrong with Torres tonight, though? He looked completely off the boil. Something is not right with that guy.
      kenny the king
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,757 posts |
      • at the end of the storm there,s a golden sky
      Reply #806: Nov 28, 2010 07:18:15 pm
      the first half we played very well,torres created three chances to maxi but maxi somehow didn't score,even torres him self missed a great chance,in the second half roy didn't do any thing as usual .we could at least get 1 point from this game..
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #807: Nov 28, 2010 07:18:15 pm
      We're 7 points of 4th. Can we catch up? I doubt it. Good performance but we got beat by a poor spurs team. Auerlio to play lb and konchesky to F**k off. I don't like kuyt either. He has no pace, can't cross, can't pass. All he does is work hard. We need to sell him
      and get in a quality rm. I like maxi on the left and Lucas and meireles in cm. Our best team with a fit squad?

What does n'gog do. He doesn't even get into positions to score.

Renia
      johnson carragher agger auerlio
      kuyt lucas meireles maxi
      gerrard
      torres
      vmbobo88
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #808: Nov 28, 2010 07:20:07 pm
      Hard luck, this. Maxi and Torres had golden chances to score. We should have had the game sorted by half time. Skrtel's own goal was blameless. Konchesky, though, for the second... just shows the gulf in class that we're missing on that side of the pitch. I'm not pointing the finger at Roy for this defeat. What was wrong with Torres tonight, though? He looked completely off the boil. Something is not right with that guy.

Torres could scores at the start 2nd half game but... has closed the ungle :-< I don't understand what happend with him .
      Konchesky too slow...
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #809: Nov 28, 2010 07:23:08 pm
      Where the MOTM option for Paul?  :couch:

Probably on a spuds forum.

Edit:  Lucas MOTM for me with Meireles a very close second.

Still so F***ing pissed off.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #810: Nov 28, 2010 07:27:02 pm
      Look past the defeat and I think we would have to agree we played some good football out there today.
      I have never once criticised a referee on here.Till now!I've always assumed a ref cannot ref the team he supports.Clearly I was wrong.He was a disgrace to refereeing imo.
      As expected Roy gets the blame (sigh ).Roy cannot be blamed for the innept finishing from Fernando and Maxi.
      Further more I totally disagree that we just sat back througout the second half.We played high up the pitch for most of it but paid the price.
      Amazing the transformation in Lucas.Pivotal part of the team now I feel.Had a crackin game today and deserves the MOM for my money.
      Onto Steaua on Thursday.Hoping to see Pachco get a start.
                                                   YNWA
      kenny the king
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,757 posts |
      • at the end of the storm there,s a golden sky
      Reply #811: Nov 28, 2010 07:29:07 pm
      Probably on a spuds forum.

Edit:  Lucas MOTM for me with Meireles a very close second.

Still so f**king pissed off.
         me too , for me MOTM LUCAS,sh*te of the match konchesky
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #812: Nov 28, 2010 07:30:08 pm
      a combination ofpoor finishing, poor substitutions and Paul F***ing Konchesky cost us.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #813: Nov 28, 2010 07:30:32 pm
      Some positives to take from this game:

- Not just this game but the last 3 or 4 actually Carragher has been very good at the back.
      - Lucas/Meireles partnership keeps going from strength to strength.
      - Maxi has found his form again.  This is why you don't knee-jerk and complain he adds nothing to the team because he had 3 or 4 games where he was very awful/invisible (as opposed to the rest of the team who were just awful).
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6817 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #814: Nov 28, 2010 07:33:01 pm
      Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

That game was there for the taking, VDV off in the first 10 minutes, then after that we should have been 4-0 just after the break. What the F**k was Torres and Maxi thinking, pull the trigger you F***ing gooses. I knew those missed goals and there's no doubt about it, they should of all been goals, would come back to bite us on our arses.

I'm still shaking my head as to how:

That F***ing ref could give us 5 yellows, them none and deny us a stone wall penalty.

How Konfuckingchesky could let a smaller bloke muscle him off the ball so F***ing easily and

How Roy could bring on a left back for a striker? how he could leave Kuyt on for so long? how he didn't use any of his subs until our lads got injured and how he just sat there when we went 2-1 down with a few minutes left and didn't think about bringing on maybe Babel who we know will at least run at their defence and have one crack at goal.

:mad: :mad: :mad: In the end a point would have been something positive, to leave will nothing is F***ing gut wrenching.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #815: Nov 28, 2010 07:35:18 pm
      Not blaming Roy, the ref or any single player (Although Konchesky & Kuyt were pretty dire)

Considering we havent had a win there in our last 5 matches (?), I honestly expected us to lose (As did many other people on this forum) and after watching the match can't say Im that upset with our performance.
      Simply put we had our chances, didn't take them and we got punished for it.

Thought some of our passing at times was really good, Merelies and Lucas pretty much dominated the midfield for the majority, Torres showed some great touches, our defence (for the most part) looked decent. We got dominated by their pace late on, something that didn't suprise me and ultmately lead to our downfaill.

Not going to call for Roys head because in all honesty, I don't think we could of put in a much better performance there today, we didn't take our chances and payed for it, simple as. Devastated by the result but encouraged by the performance (An away performance).

Saying that I still want Roy gone (Before half the forum jumps down my neck).
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #816: Nov 28, 2010 07:37:33 pm
      Starting to get pi**ed of with some of the anti  Hodgson rhetoric on here . I couldn't fault his formation and the winning goal was a kick in the ball's. But TBH Hodgson get's murdered for whatever he does, whereas Rafa got away with F**ing murder last season on this site at least. We deserved a point at least and bad finishing from Maxi & Torres and a blatant pen decision against Kuyt stopped us getting all three.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #817: Nov 28, 2010 07:38:34 pm
      Positives : finally a match where Liverpool attacked the two halves, had reasonable possession and created a lot. Feel of a fighting spirit in defense, and good tactic (no reason to blame Roy for this one, except perhaps for not using the last sub to guarantee a result - but I'm sure some people would have complained about the Poulsen entry after a 1-1 result).

Negatives : Maxi and Torres missed finishing moves, Mereiles giving a lot of balls to opposition, while he had good flashes of talent on some occasions, Konchesky being himself, N'Gog still not ready for matches of this level.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6817 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #818: Nov 28, 2010 07:48:26 pm
      On this occasion I don't think anyone of us are blaming Roy for the way he set the team up or his tactics in that first half, I think it's more to do with his substitutions or should I say lack of substitutions that should have benefited the team. I understand Sotis for Carra but when N'gog got injured, don't bring on a LB/LW, we needed another striker up front.

I'm also questioning his decision on leaving Kuyt on so long. How many times does the fella have to turn the ball over before Roy realizes hard work and 110 commitment whilst wonderful attributes don't make up for the shortcomings that Kuyt posseses.

How does he not realize Konchesky is a liabilty?

How does he just sit there when we go 2-1 down, show no emotion, just keeps his hands in his pockets or rubs his F***ing chin.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,975 posts | 5035 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #819: Nov 28, 2010 07:50:45 pm
      So, it's Roys fault that, with only the keeper to beat. Torres and Maxi couldn't even get a f**king shot away in the 1st half. FFS, get f**king real. Blaming Roy for this defeat is ridiculous.
      And last week, or the week before, seeing Fabregas putting his hands up in a wall and giving away a pen, was thinking what a f***in nancy boy tit. And what the f**k does Ngog do! Ngog runs about alot but offers f**k all else that I can see. For the 2nd striker, how many shots/chances did he get for himself?!
      And Kuyt had a stone wall f**king peno the other end. STONE WALL!!!!!!!
      Thought we played well, passed the ball about, and made a lot of decent chances, clearer cut ones than Spurs. Just didn't take enough of them :( And Lennon steals it at the f***in death, Christ, the little f**king jack rabbit.
      Lucas playyed well. Meireles did OK too - but he got himself into what I thought were shooting opportunities twice just on the edge of the box and instead of putting his foot through it, he tried a really difficult lifted pass into the ares both times. That's were we miss SG, he'd have taken the shot on for sure. I think he'd have made a difference today in such an open game.
      And class from Carra, with possible broken arm giving out sh*t to Sotis for not getting ready in time to do a quick substitution :)
      Nah, it was a really enjoyable game. Shame to loose it, we deserved at least a draw. At least.
      We'd asked Roy to open up a bit and go for it away, and I think today we got the kind of away performance we have asked for. We just didn't take enough of our chances, and Spurs did.
      Top post mate i totally agree, on another day we would have pissed it, them lucky yid mofo's.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #820: Nov 28, 2010 07:55:58 pm
      Look past the defeat and I think we would have to agree we played some good football out there today.
      I have never once criticised a referee on here.Till now!I've always assumed a ref cannot ref the team he supports.Clearly I was wrong.He was a disgrace to refereeing imo.
      As expected Roy gets the blame (sigh ).Roy cannot be blamed for the innept finishing from Fernando and Maxi.
      Further more I totally disagree that we just sat back througout the second half.We played high up the pitch for most of it but paid the price.
      Amazing the transformation in Lucas.Pivotal part of the team now I feel.Had a crackin game today and deserves the MOM for my money.
      Onto Steaua on Thursday.Hoping to see Pachco get a start.
                                                   YNWA

Yeah, I'd have been in the anti-Lucas camp last year, but he's turned things around. Still not his biggest fan, but gave him a sneaky MOTM today.
      Meireles would've got it but thought he shyed away from shooting a couple of times when he had the chance, had me effin and blindin somewhat at the TV :)
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #821: Nov 28, 2010 07:56:57 pm
      I actually don't think the substitution involving Ngog/Aurelio was that mind boggling, it was effectively a like for like once everyone moved in to their positions (?). Kuyt (To my knowledge) moved up front to take Ngogs place while Maxi moved out to accomdate Kuyt and Aurelio took Maxi's place, unless I missed something we effectively stayed the same formation, just with different players. The only other attacking option would of been to bring Babel or Jovanovic on, unless Im missing something..

Maybe its just me but if thats what Roys recieving the most criticism for then I'd have to say its abit paper thin.

I would of liked to see Pacheco on the bench in that situation but thats a story for another day..
      « Last Edit: Nov 28, 2010 08:02:27 pm by Dannylfc »
      elnino9_Zii
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #822: Nov 28, 2010 08:02:39 pm
      F**k noes how we lost that match?
      really paul konchesky... F**k off pal your not wanted.
      i dont want roy here, however we played well today and fairplay for him playing ngog and nando together at sh*te heart lane, i heart lucas leiva simplesssss.
      the thing about this result is.... even if there's people out there that still want roy IN, results like this when you play well but yet still lose, costs manager's there jobs, because if that cant turn it around then nout will.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #823: Nov 28, 2010 08:04:08 pm
      Actually bringing aurelio on was an attacking substitution, by moving maxi over to the right and aurelio on lw, both wingers were attacking the goal with their favourite foot on the outside creating width. Before that we were quite narrow on the left with maxi cutting in all the time.
      stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Reply #824: Nov 28, 2010 08:11:21 pm
      Cant believe the outcome of this, Liverpool played very well today, team gelled well 4-4-2 looks like its working. One of those days i suppose, you would have put your mortgage on Maxi and Nando to bury those chances. It feels crap when you play so well and get nothing.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #825: Nov 28, 2010 08:19:24 pm
      Cant believe the outcome of this, Liverpool played very well today, team gelled well 4-4-2 looks like its working. One of those days i suppose, you would have put your mortgage on Maxi and Nando to bury those chances. It feels crap when you play so well and get nothing.

Pretty much summed up my feelings as well mate. Although I'd say we could have passed the ball better at times - especially in the second half.

If we'd have planted those very good chances either side of the break, I think I'd have been pleased.
      scott_hutchy
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 91 posts |
      Reply #826: Nov 28, 2010 08:20:07 pm
      I'm upset to come away with zero points but, I was expecting worse to be honest so having a point nicked in injury sumed the game up, we was attacking loads in the first half then tended to sit back agian in the second when we was ahead, konchesky should really not be starting any more, was suprised joe cole didn't get some time on the pitch, but there are some positives that can be taken away from this game. Miereles was the man of the match for me, he must score a goal soon he keeps coming so close, torres assist was clinical and world class when he set up maxi shame it didn't pay dividends.
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #827: Nov 28, 2010 08:20:59 pm
      We missed some gift wrapped chances to have a healthy half time lead. I cant blame anyone but the players for that.
      Some individual mistakes but IMO it was always going to be a hard game as Spurs are our current benchmark

Quick Reply