Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Gary Cahill (Bolton)

Read 61018 times
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Gary Cahill (Bolton)
      Dec 01, 2010 12:13:57 pm
      Liverpool tipped to beat Arsenal and United to 'Ā£25 million' Premier League ace
      Liverpool are being backed to make a move for Bolton defender Gary Cahill in January.

According to The Guardian, the Reds are monitoring the 24-year-old England international - who has been consistently linked with a move away from the Reebok in recent weeks - with a view to making a bid in the New Year.

Arsenal had originally been expected to do battle with Manchester United for the services of Cahill, who is thought to have caught the eye of both Gunners boss Arsene Wenger and United supremo Sir Alex Ferguson with a string of imperious displays for the Trotters.

But Liverpool are now apparently the frontrunners for his signature as Roy Hodgson looks to bolster his defence following the long-term layoff of Anfield hero Jamie Carragher.

The 33-year-old will be sidelined for three months after dislocating his shoulder as Liverpool lost to Spurs on Sunday, and Cahill has allegedly been identified as a potential replacement for the future.

Liverpool are worryingly short of experienced centre-backs currently - with Daniel Agger also a fitness concern - so Hodgson is believed to be in the market for at least one more stopper.

Frenchman Adil Rami and Birmingham centre-half Scott Dann are also reportedly on the Liverpool radar as Hodgson and NESV look to draft in reinforcements to Anfield next month.

According to the Mail on Sunday, Arsenal will launch a Ā£10 million bid for the Liverpool and Manchester United target, but Bolton manager Owen Coyle has slapped a Ā£25 million price-tag on his prized asset.

"There has never been any dialogue with me or any manager from another club about Gary Cahill this summer," he said.

ā€œGary Cahill is a player I want at this football club for a long time to come. If someone comes in with Ā£25 million, any football club would have to look at that.

ā€œI said that in April when he came back from injury and thatā€™s where we are now. If that ever comes about the football club will look at it, but thatā€™s not happening.

ā€œI want him here. I want him to continue his development and I want to get him playing at a level where heā€™s in the England squad.ā€

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/liverpool-tipped-to-beat-arsenal-and-united-to-(1)

I quite like Cahill. Wouldn't pay 25m for him but I'd take him for about 10m if Agger leaves.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Gary Cahill (Bolton)
      Reply #1: Dec 01, 2010 12:42:14 pm
      F**k off with your 25 million
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #2: Dec 01, 2010 12:58:15 pm
      Worth 10M tops. Anything over that and we would be yet another victim to pay over the odds for an English footballer.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #3: Dec 01, 2010 01:14:27 pm
      Not a chance in hell should we be paying Ā£25million for Gary Cahill. Ā£10million, if Agger is off (bloody Roy).

To be honest I'd rather stick to Wilson or Ayala as our fourth choice anyway.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #4: Dec 01, 2010 01:22:26 pm
      I'd prefer to see Wilson, Kelly or Ayala get some games and I do think Cahill is a very good defender but to spend Ā£25M on him would be ridiculous.

We have enough cover in CB no matter what Roy seems to think and should only really look at that in the summer with Carra and Sotis getting older.

Just think what quality attacking players you could get with Ā£25M which is more of a priority in my opinion and also Roy has created a problem at LB which is much more urgent than CB when you look at our squad.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #5: Dec 01, 2010 01:31:17 pm
      Obviously the price quoted is a joke and only a silly club like Man City could ever pay such amount for him (like they did with Lescott :D).

But I really like Cahill. I think he's a very good defender and still has his best days ahead of him. With Carragher and Sotis not getting any younger and Agger possibly (and unfortunately) leaving, I do see the need for a new CB. Not the main priority of course, but I wouldn't mind this signing one bit.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #6: Dec 01, 2010 01:48:11 pm
      Good player but why? We have potentially a great defender in Wilson.

Ā£25m  ???
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Dec 01, 2010 01:50:16 pm
      Also quoted at 10 million in some papers which would be more realistic
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #8: Dec 01, 2010 01:58:09 pm
      Also quoted at 10 million in some papers which would be more realistic

BOLTON'S GARY CAHILL IS TOP LIVERPOOL TARGET
      ROY HODGSON is lining up a Ā£10m January raid for Boltonā€™s Gary Cahill after losing Jamie Carragher for three months.

Carragher will undergo surgery at the end of the week on the dislocated shoulder he suffered in Liverpoolā€™s 2-1 defeat at Tottenham on Sunday.

It has left Hodgson with few experienced options in the centre of defence ā€“ and severely stretched for the busy Christmas period ā€“ as fellow defender Daniel Agger is also a long-term injury victim.

French defender Adil Rami is also on Liverpoolā€™s radar but Hodgson would prefer Cahill, whose performances have helped catapult Bolton into the top five.

The 24-year-old England international has also been tracked by Manchester United, Arsenal and Tottenham but Hodgson is now ready to make his move.

Bolton rate Cahill at Ā£15m but after recently revealing debts of Ā£93m, they could be tempted by Liverpoolā€™s Ā£10m offer.

Trotters boss Owen Coyle wants to keep Cahill as long as possible but has said he will not stand in his way if Bolton receive a satisfactory offer from a bigger club.

Cahill said: ā€œI am an ambitious lad who wants to play at the top of my game. Who knows what the future holds?ā€

Meanwhile, Carragher is determined to return to fitness and help Liverpool qualify for a European spot.

He said: ā€œIt will probably be late February or early March when Iā€™m looking to come back. Iā€™ll be having surgery at the end of the week.

ā€œThe average is about 12 weeks. Iā€™d like to come back before that but Iā€™ve got to make sure itā€™s right.

ā€œItā€™s difficult for me when Iā€™m injured. It hasnā€™t happened very often, but maybe itā€™s caught up with me a little bit now. 

ā€œIā€™ve been here before with a broken leg which put me out this length of time. 

ā€œItā€™s not easy but youā€™ve got to get on with it, and it makes you more determined to get back.

ā€œIā€™m sure towards the end of the season when people are maybe feeling a little bit tired Iā€™ll be raring to go.ā€
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #9: Dec 01, 2010 02:01:12 pm
      Good man :)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #10: Dec 01, 2010 02:19:08 pm
      Pfft, no.

Overrated and overpriced. He can go to Arsenal for all i care. Showed promise before but now he's just getting wraps because he's English. He hasn't improved one bit in the past season.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #11: Dec 01, 2010 02:46:33 pm
      I like him, but we don't need him and they can F**k off for that price.  We have two very good players in Ayala and Wilson coming through the ranks.  If we can just get Agger fit, we will be set for the CB position. 
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #12: Dec 01, 2010 05:17:19 pm
      Solid that is all, another overpriced English player Ā£7 million is to much for him, was useless at Villa has improved a lot but F**k me how is he worth Ā£17 million.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #13: Dec 01, 2010 10:55:58 pm
      ;D why would we be in the market for centre backs.

Agger, Soto, Skittles , Wilson, Jamie & Ayala.

Not enough ;D?
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #14: Dec 01, 2010 11:52:33 pm
      Pfft, no.

Overrated and overpriced. He can go to Arsenal for all I care. Showed promise before but now he's just getting wraps because he's English. He hasn't improved one bit in the past season.

Amen to that my man.

This is a bit like Wheater I threw around a few names Ill throw em again -Agger, Wilson, Ayala, Kelly
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #15: Dec 02, 2010 08:46:48 am
      Hmmmmmmmmm, I have never reeally rated the fella, the hype around him is ridiculous tbh, I'd pay 6M
      REDLANCE
      • Forum Ian St John

• 451 posts |
      Reply #16: Dec 02, 2010 08:55:22 am
      I couldn't agree more why are we being linked with CB,s when we have enough cover there already?
      Cahill looks lke a good player but to spend that kind of money on him would be ridiculous.
      We need a good left back, left winger and a top forward or two.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #17: Dec 02, 2010 02:21:07 pm
      Can't understand the price, watched him against Villa last season, he was marking John Carew and he was taken apart.

Isn't it amazing the prices quoted for average English players. Ā£25 million for him would be the worst bit of transfer business by any club ever.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #18: Dec 02, 2010 02:30:45 pm
      Can't understand the price, watched him against Villa last season, he was marking John Carew and he was taken apart.

Isn't it amazing the prices quoted for average English players. Ā£25 million for him would be the worst bit of transfer business by any club ever.

Know exactly what you mean Corbally but surely the worst piece of business ever is Lescott to City? ;)
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #19: Dec 02, 2010 02:39:27 pm
      I was actually thinking of that transfer KS67 while I was writing that, Ā£24 million for Lescott it beggars F***ing belief.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #20: Dec 02, 2010 04:14:08 pm

:D It was so obvious you would mention this game again, every single time we were linked to Cahill you talked about this game and Carew and blablabla, have you actually watched him play more than once? It's hard to believe.
      « Last Edit: Dec 02, 2010 06:25:43 pm by Diego LFC »
      piggott_mourinho
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 56 posts |
      Reply #21: Dec 02, 2010 05:34:14 pm
      Not for me, he is overrated and not good enough for a team like us
      we should be targeting higher profile defenders
      moh20
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 185 posts | -2 
      Reply #22: Dec 02, 2010 06:48:26 pm
      Would be a great signing for 10 million nothing more. Has potential to get even better thats why

Quick Reply