Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Fowler agrees to sign for Cardiff

Read 20527 times
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Fowler agrees to sign for Cardiff
      Jul 21, 2007 01:23:51 pm
      Link : http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/6281850.stm

Robbie Fowler has agreed to join Cardiff on a two-year contract.
      The 32-year-old striker was released by Liverpool at the end of last season and has rejected moves to Leicester City and Sydney FC in Australia's A-League.

Fowler will be re-united with Cardiff chairman Peter Ridsdale, who was in charge at Leeds when he signed from Liverpool for £11m in November 2001.

He is expected to be officially unveiled at a news conference in Cardiff early next week.

Sydney FC had hoped to lure Fowler, and chief executive George Perry said: "We're bitterly disappointed but we're satisfied we did everything we could to persuade Robbie to come.

"Robbie was tremendously impressed by what he saw in Sydney but he's chosen to go elsewhere."

Fowler travelled to Sydney for talks and admitted he had been hugely impressed with the set-up.

The former England striker's representative George Scott said: "He was incredibly impressed with them and the city. The only thing against them is that Robbie is a Premiership player and he is used to Premiership money.

"The Premiership is unique in terms of the crazy money it generates and there is nothing in the world that replicates it, not even Spain. That money is well beyond Sydney and the Australian league and we know that.

"It is really a battle between money and quality of life and believe me, quality of life counts for a lot of money. All the money in the world is not going to buy your family's happiness."

Cardiff chairman Peter Ridsdale was quoted on Liverpool's website as saying: "We have offered an attractive package and are hopeful Robbie will decide to come.

"Obviously I know Robbie from his days at Leeds and he's an outstanding finisher and outstanding footballer."

Fowler made his Liverpool debut as an 18-year-old in 1993, scoring 171 goals in 330 games before joining Leeds for £11m in 2001 and then Manchester City for £6m in 2003.

Fowler returned for a second spell at Anfield in January 2006, although his starting appearances were limited.

I've got a very strong feeling that a certain member of this forum will be exstatic with this news.
      For me, I'd like to think he will score for fun for Cardiff, but the Championship is a strong league and defenders will want to get the better of him any old means.
      Good luck Robbie, let's hope you get the games you deserve and with that the goals will follow.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,531 posts | 6887 
      Re: Fowler agrees to sign for Cardiff
      Reply #1: Jul 21, 2007 02:04:05 pm
      Good luck Robbie.

Personally - it would have been Australia for me.. but maybe he sees Cardiff as a better challenge. Is that the second time Ridsdale has bought him?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #2: Jul 21, 2007 03:19:07 pm
      Good luck Robbie. Hope you do great at Cardiff.

Would have definately been Australia for me too though.
      I think he still wants to be playing at a competetive level. And that will be the case playing for Cardiff rather than playing in Oz. The Championship is a tough league when it comes to physical competetion.

How many goals do we reckon he'll get for Nicola's Bluebirds then? I'll go for twelve.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,531 posts | 6887 
      Reply #3: Jul 21, 2007 03:40:47 pm
      Is that twelve goals, or twelve properties he will purchase for his housing empire?

Sure he will enjoy the cultured Cardiff support

« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2007 03:44:19 pm by JD »
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #4: Jul 21, 2007 03:52:42 pm
      Good luck Robbie hope you can fire them to the premiership.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #5: Jul 21, 2007 03:57:20 pm
      I wonder if Nicola is among the crowd ;)

Good luck Robbie.  All the best for the rest of your career.

Hopefully this isnt the last time we see you at Liverpool!
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #6: Jul 21, 2007 07:21:23 pm
      Hope we draw Cardiff in the cup Great to see Robbie good luck
      « Last Edit: Jul 21, 2007 07:38:19 pm by mrtommo , Reason: It\'s just as easy to type normal, than text style »
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Reply #7: Jul 21, 2007 08:53:25 pm
      good luck god, hope it all goes well and you score loads of goals, we all know your capable. think i might stick a small amount of cash on you to be top scorer in next seasons championship.
      Ju
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #8: Jul 21, 2007 11:37:07 pm
      Great player, who will always be my favourite Liverpool player : all the best
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #9: Jul 21, 2007 11:50:00 pm
      I think he can still play in the premiership, so i hope he can find his form with Cardiff and fire them into the premiership.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #10: Jul 22, 2007 12:04:14 am
      Good luck Robbie, we will still be supporting you for Cardiff, how strange would it be to get Cardiff in the cup at Anfield, wow, what a welcome Robbie would get.....not if scored the winning goal though, how gutted would we all be. :'(
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #11: Jul 22, 2007 09:49:19 am
      Good luck Robbie! An Anfield legend you shall always remain! Hopefully you can fire Cardiff to the Premiership fella  ;D Make them as happy as you've made us over the years!

You'll Never Walk Alone mate!
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #12: Jul 22, 2007 10:03:20 am
      Thanks for your support for Cardiff guys :)

I dunno where those pictures are, it's not Ninian, that stadium in the pics has 2 tiers :o We have some fans that are idiots I'm not gonna deny that, but most of our fans are alright really!! Just all other clubs hate us and try to fight so we retaliate..

I am soo happy, but anxious now he's not officially signed until Monday most likely, when he actually signs I will be jumping for joy :D

After he turned down Oz I knew he'd come to us not Leicester (or Port Vale) because my mate said and he always finds out things before they are meant to be out, but I ahd to keep quiet. When the rumours first started I was like 'no WAY would he come to City when he could go to Oz' but yeah the Australian league I think isn't that competitive. Then again the Championship has a really really fast pace I just hope his fitness lefel stays high and he can score. If he scores at least 10 for us I will be happy :)

WOOOO!

As long as I like the new shirt, I am getting his name on it :)
      Jrwanderer
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 115 posts |
      • Team Spirit of Champions
      Reply #13: Jul 22, 2007 10:20:45 am
       :laugh:Ha  :laugh:Ha  :laugh:Ha! Somebody seems to be happy ::)!

Good Luck God! We see you in the premiership next year!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,531 posts | 6887 
      Reply #14: Jul 22, 2007 10:30:24 am
      Nic, the pictures are from Cardiff's day out at Highbury.

There were two clues:

Thierry Henry in the top picture, and
      The Steward with the words 'Arsenal Steward' on his back n the bottom picture ;)

Yeah - let's hope we get them in the cup. I remain convinced that Fowler's association with us is not over and he will be back one day.
      Sarah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 484 posts | 16 
      Reply #15: Jul 23, 2007 09:28:00 am
      Hope we draw Cardiff in the cup Great to see Robbie good luck

I hope we dont draw them in the cup to be honest, i wouldnt know who to support
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #16: Jul 23, 2007 07:29:21 pm
      ^ Cardiff all the way. Gotta be!! Home team Sarah HOME TEAM!

Ahh well JD I wasn't looking at the players or the writing on the steward's backs, just to see if I knew any of the guys getting in trouble! Was that in August time last year, or the season before? Because the season before lots of our fans JUST made KO because of the damn coaches parking far far away *grr*

PS - Fowler signed today, and the press conference is on SSN 9am tomorrow  ;D  ;D  ;D
      « Last Edit: Jul 23, 2007 07:32:14 pm by Nicola »
      Sarah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 484 posts | 16 
      Reply #17: Jul 24, 2007 09:08:13 am
      I think i would support Cardiff!
      My mum is a massive Cardiff fan, looks like im forking out for the new strip
      with fowler on the back.
      Have u seen the new kit Nic??
      Its well nice
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #18: Jul 25, 2007 02:12:17 pm
      Yeahh I really like it, the yellow is lush :)
      I think everyone is gonna get one with Fowler on the back, I hope they pre-print loads of them cause people are gonna be queuing outside the shop Friday morning (it doesn't open til 11am ::) ) so if they print a load of them NOW it will save a lot of time.

I'll get one with Fowler on, not because he's such a big star and I'm a glory hunter, but because I can remember the kit and the season when God came to us and got us promoted :D Hehe.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Reply #19: Jul 25, 2007 04:36:55 pm
      Saw a shot of God on SSN in your new kit nic, and I would have to say Blue has never suited him!!
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #20: Jul 26, 2007 01:30:11 pm
      Ahh but it's blue, yellow and white, not just blue, and it's a Cardiff City badge so I think he looks great ;)

Open day down there on Sunday, hope I get an autograph, but I'm not keeping my hopes up!!
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #21: Jul 27, 2007 11:11:38 pm
      Good luck at Cardiff Fowler thanks for the goals!

AJ
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #22: Jul 27, 2007 11:25:08 pm
      I may get to meet him on Sunday.. will post pics here if I can :D

Sarah you going??

Quick Reply