Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Sylvain Marveaux (Stade Rennais)

Read 59578 times
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Sylvain Marveaux (Stade Rennais)
      Dec 02, 2010 01:01:48 pm
      Reds eye Marveaux move
      Liverpool are reported to be lining up a move for highly-rated Rennes winger Sylvain Marveaux.

Reports emanating from France claim Liverpool are weighing up a bid for the 24-year-old when the transfer window re-opens in January.

Marveaux is regarded as one of the best young players in France and has been linked with the likes of Barcelona in the past.

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson is keen to bolster his squad in January and has been spotted at a few Rennes games in recent weeks.
      Comolli

New Director of Football Strategy Damien Comolli is believed to have recommened a move for Marveaux and he has sounded out a move for the player.

Marveaux, who is currently out of action through injury, is out of contract in the summer and as yet has not agreed a new deal at Rennes.

The Frencg (sic) club are determined to tie him down to a new contract, but if he fails to pledge his future to the club they could decide to cash-in in the New Year.

Liverpool could decide to try to sign Marveaux for a cut-price fee in January or wait until next summer and land the versatile midfielder on a free transfer.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6548208,00.html

Liverpool swoop for Sylvain Marveaux as Damien Comolli urges Rennes playmaker to hold out for a summer free

Liverpool hope to secure a deal in January for in-demand Rennes playmaker Sylvain Marveaux to join them on a free transfer at the end of the season.

The 24-year-old is in the final year of his current contract and has told Rennes he won't sign a new deal amid interest from Paris Saint-Germain, Marseille and Monaco.

However, authoritative reports in France say new Liverpool director of football strategy Damien Comolli has been in touch with Marveaux's representatives to set the scene for a formal offer next month.

The attacking midfielder - who can play on the left or as a central playmaker - cannot officially talk to suitors until reaching the last six months of his current contract in January.

His signing would put more pressure on Joe Cole, who has been disappointing since a high-profile free transfer from Chelsea in the summer.

Diminutive Marveaux attracted the plaudits last season but has so far been shunned by the France national team. He has been key in their march to fifth in Ligue 1 this season and they sit just two points behind leaders Marseille.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1334944/Liverpool-want-Sylvain-Marveaux-Bosman-free-Rennes.html#ixzz16xWjxq5i

KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Re: Sylvain Marveaux (Stade Rennais)
      Reply #1: Dec 02, 2010 01:03:59 pm
      Liverpool Set To Seal Transfer For Rennes Attacking Midfielder
      Liverpool have a keen interest in Sylvain Marveaux, whose contract at Stade Rennais will end at the end of the season.

Rennes midfielder Marveaux is currently out of action with a hamstring complaint that is set to sideline him until January, but is usually the first name on the teamsheet. Out of contract next June, the 24 year old attacking midfielder has in effect rejected all offers to extend his deal at the Stade Rennais, where he had his footballing education.

In less than one month (from 1 January), Marveaux will be free to choose his future destination, as did former teammate Moussa Sow, at the same time last season for Lille. Wanted last summer by several French clubs like PSG, Marseille and Monaco after a wonderful year 2009-2010 (10 goals in 35 matches L1), Sylvain Marveaux just received some welcome news: Liverpool have recently looked at his case.

Frenchman Damien Comolli is the new director of football for the Reds, and it is he who initiated this and moved closer to the player’s entourage. The English club has promised to provide a concrete proposal in early 2011 to validate definitively the month of June.

These approaches could also push the Stade Rennais to consider letting the youngest Marveaux go (Joris his big brother, four years his senior, is moving to Montpellier) in the winter transfer window to earn a small fee.

Liverpool though already seem to have many arguments up their sleeve to tip the case in their favour. (France Football)

Liverpool’s left hand side has been a problem area for a while now.

When was the last time a top class winger patrolled the left flank at Anfield?

I’m not sure that Luis Garcia counts as a winger, so perhaps Patrik Berger? John Barnes even?

Whether Sylvain Marveaux could reignite the threat on the Liverpool left is as yet unknown, but one thing is for certain: he had a very encouraging season indeed in 2009-2010.

Ten goals in 35 Ligue 1 matches is an exceptional tally for an attacking midfielder, and would lift some of the scoring burden from Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard.

If he could also be brought in either on the cheap or for free, that would make his signing even more worthwhile – and it appears that Damien Comolli’s work in the transfer market is proving useful for Roy Hodgson.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/12/02/liverpool-set-to-seal-transfer-for-rennes-attacking-midfielder/
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #2: Dec 02, 2010 01:14:58 pm
      Don't know the player but these articles made him look good. Apparently a good signing.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #3: Dec 02, 2010 01:43:39 pm
      I don't know anything about this guy.  It seems like he could be another Riera....a decent player who only performs well on occasion.  If we are going to get back to the top, we need world class players, not players who at the age of 24 are still relatively unknown.

*  The exception to this rule is Andrei Arshavin, but I doubt this guy will turn out to be as good as Andrei
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #4: Dec 02, 2010 01:47:19 pm
      I don't know anything about this guy.  It seems like he could be another Riera....a decent player who only performs well on occasion.

Basing this on what? 10 goals in 35 games last year seems pretty consistent to me.

Like you say you (and I) don't know anything about the guy but I don't see how you can write him off just because he is 24 and plays in France. 24 is hardly old and it seems that he is highly rated within France, worth discussing at least.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #5: Dec 02, 2010 02:13:45 pm
      Basing this on what? 10 goals in 35 games last year seems pretty consistent to me.

Like you say you (and I) don't know anything about the guy but I don't see how you can write him off just because he is 24 and plays in France. 24 is hardly old and it seems that he is highly rated within France, worth discussing at least.

My point is that I don't see how this guy is going to immediately make us a top 4 contender, which is what we need.  We need to get back into the top 4 immediately because of the 20 million in bonus money that it brings with it.  I don't see this guy (a relative unknown) as being the answer to our problems when our rivals are all signing world class talents.  I'm not saying that he wouldn't be a useful addition to add depth, but I think we need to aim higher in order to build a first team that can compete at the highest level. 
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #6: Dec 02, 2010 02:18:40 pm
      Don't know anything about him, but what I do know is we need a top class wide man, is he the answer who knows but we have gone for to many cut prices wide men over the years.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #7: Dec 02, 2010 02:25:41 pm
      I don't see this guy (a relative unknown) as being the answer to our problems when our rivals are all signing world class talents.   I'm not saying that he wouldn't be a useful addition to add depth, but I think we need to aim higher in order to build a first team that can compete at the highest level. 

The Mancs just signed a Portuguese tramp and Hernandez who is... a young talent and was a relative unknown.

Chelsea just signed Benayoun from us, would you describe him as world class?

Tottenham signed pretty much all of their players from smaller leagues when they were still unknowns.

Man City are the exception to the rule because they are F***ing morons. But even they have signed Milner and Johnson.

Marveaux may well turn out to be a good player, just because he isn't well known in this country doesn't mean he isn't good enough.

And for the record; Drogba, Robben and Cech who were all vital to winning Chelsea's titles all came from smaller leagues and were relative unknowns.

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #8: Dec 02, 2010 02:30:57 pm
      Drogba Robben and Cech had big reputations when they arrived and the reason there fees were so high. This lad doesn't and to me it seems like another risk. I would have hoped we would have been targetting better players in the Summer.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #9: Dec 02, 2010 02:48:08 pm
      ^ Thanks Corbally.... I was about to say just that! :)

^^  Our rivals have the benefit of being able to take some risks on players like Bebe, because they already have a top 4 squad assembled.  Also, I wouldn't exactly call Ramires, Malouda, Zhirkov, Antonio Valencia, Chamakh, Rosicky, Walcott, Defoe, Crouch, Van Der Vart, Kaboul, Tevez, Adebayor, Silva, etc, etc. unknown players.  They all had big reputations when they signed (in the past couple of years) and they are all still big time players.  Even Roman Pav had a big reputation when he signed for Spurs!  We need 3-4 players who can come straight into the 1st team, and I really have my doubts about this guy considering I've never really heard much about him and I do follow the French league...
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #10: Dec 02, 2010 02:52:47 pm
      Reputation is a pretty hard thing to quantify.

I don't care about reputation I care about ability. Just because someone isn't hyped in every paper and website for 2-3 years before they are linked doesn't mean they aren't good enough.

I'm not saying Marveaux is a the answer to our problems I'm just saying there is more to a player than how much you have heard about him.

If he is a good young player and has been properly scouted then he may be a quality addition, regardless of reputation.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #11: Dec 02, 2010 02:58:29 pm
      No thank you. He's only had one decent season so far. If we're going to take a risk, I'd rather do it on some wonderkid.
      piggott_mourinho
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 56 posts |
      Reply #12: Dec 02, 2010 05:36:28 pm
      Dont really know much about him to be fair but there are better wings to be had in january
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #13: Dec 02, 2010 08:59:49 pm
      Good player who us avilable for cheap. Has decent resale value and could become a top player for us. He is def worth the risk. Get him in jan because we need a winger asap
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #14: Dec 03, 2010 10:30:37 am
      No thank you. He's only had one decent season so far. If we're going to take a risk, I'd rather do it on some wonderkid.

On a free in summer I find it difficult to say no to him. Yes he may have only shone in one season so far but he has undoubted ability with the ball. On a free would really add compitition for places and help improve the squad.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #15: Dec 03, 2010 12:59:13 pm
      Rennes must have a boss team because every big club seems to be looking at there players
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #16: Dec 04, 2010 12:12:46 pm
      Rennes must have a boss team because every big club seems to be looking at there players
      Link

5th at the moment so wouldn't call em WC
      « Last Edit: May 29, 2011 05:41:11 am by CRK, Reason: URL putting the screen out of skew on iPhone. Sorted. »
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #17: Dec 04, 2010 12:33:14 pm
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #18: Dec 04, 2010 12:34:02 pm
      Only two points off the pace to be fair.

Oh yes no denying that, but 5th not 1st ;)
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #19: Dec 04, 2010 03:32:30 pm
      Look where we are and the players we have

The best striker in Torres
      The best midfielder in Gerrard
      The best goalkeeper in Reina
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #20: Dec 05, 2010 01:27:26 am
      Oh yes no denying that, but 5th not 1st ;)
      Look again ;)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #21: Dec 05, 2010 01:31:38 am
      Tim LFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 765 posts | 15 
      Sylvain Marveaux - New signing
      Reply #22: Dec 29, 2010 10:55:51 pm
      The final instalment of Liverpool's 2010 was watched by the Rennes player Sylvain Marveaux, at Anfield as a guest of the club and, at a price of around £1.5 million, likely to be Roy Hodgson's first January capture.
      Capable of playing at left-back or on the left wing, his versatility has no doubt attracted the 63-year-old and Damien Comolli, Liverpool's director of football strategy. Unless he can fill all 11 positions simultaneously, on this evidence he will make little impact.

According to the telegraph. Seems like it could turn out a bargain or rubbish we'll see. He's 24 as well.

Quick Reply