Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Steaua Bucharest 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Constipation

Read 45201 times
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,288 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Re: Steaua Bucharest 1-1 Liverpool - Post match constipation
      Reply #529: Dec 02, 2010 08:55:04 pm
      Been doing a bit of overtime watched the first goal then fell asleep. Ah well at least we are through and the youth can get a little more experience.
      vmbobo88
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #530: Dec 02, 2010 08:55:56 pm
      then don`t loose against this comunist team! I hate them! hate steaua as u hate everton or man united!

Maldini f*** and f*** timisoara!
      shut the fu** up ! f**k you and rapid bucharest !

YNWA !
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #531: Dec 02, 2010 08:56:25 pm
      The highlight of the game for me was the commentators, that tells you all you need to know.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #532: Dec 02, 2010 08:57:26 pm
      Wow Harry you played football so you must know more than me. Like you said though, certain players have attributes that mean they suit certain positions more than others. . .  Anyway positives for me were a lot of youngsters getting playing time tonight. Really think Kelly will be a star for us. Hopefully a fit Aurelio will bring some much needed quality back into that position. Oh and were qualified by default of the other top teams drawing tonight. :) Default! Default!

I'm not claiming to know more than anyone.  All I'm saying is that given his skill set and ability on the ball, I would expect him to produce a positive performance in an attacking midfield role, on the wing, or as a 2nd striker.  I wouldn't expect him to play well as a CM, RB, LB, CB or target man because those positions don't suit his natural abilities.  He should have done better tonight.  Hopefully he does better next time, but I'm not going to get on here and act like he's the next F***ing Pele because he had a good summer with Spain and is doing well with the ressies.  He's a talented player who needs to produce the goods when he is given 1st team chances. 

On a positive note, I think that Babel and Jova's performances tonight were commendable.... hopefully they can bring in some good cash to put towards new players when they are sold in January :)
      Ann_Field
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts |
      Reply #533: Dec 02, 2010 08:58:25 pm
      The highlight of the game for me was the commentators, that tells you all you need to know.

Were you watching the same one as me?  American and a Geordie??   they were brilliant
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #534: Dec 02, 2010 08:58:42 pm
      Was there no post match interview from Roy LMA Hodgson then? I keep checking here in the hope of reading what crap he comes out with this time.
      vmbobo88
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #535: Dec 02, 2010 09:02:24 pm
      bad game for J. Cole , i can't belive 1-1 with steaua bucharest :-< bad mistake Reina!

poor 2nd half game!
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #536: Dec 02, 2010 09:07:13 pm
      Was there no post match interview from Roy LMA Hodgson then? I keep checking here in the hope of reading what crap he comes out with this time.

at least he can't call it another "famous European victory".  :roll:
      vmbobo88
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #537: Dec 02, 2010 09:09:19 pm
      at least he can't call it another "famous European victory".  :roll:

come on , don't be bad :)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #538: Dec 02, 2010 09:25:55 pm
      Well we've qualified. That's about the best I can say after that performance. Another one of Woys 'tactical mystery tours.' ?  or is it just down to the players being mainly inept and substandard?  Don't really know what to think anymore, getting more depressed by the day. ???
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #539: Dec 02, 2010 09:29:49 pm
      Roy's Steaua verdict

Roy Hodgson admitted he was delighted by the performance of his young stars as Liverpool secured a place in the last 32 of the Europa League with a 1-1 draw against Steaua Bucharest on Thursday night.

Milan Jovanovic headed the Reds into a first-half lead in Romania, but an uncharacteristic error from Pepe Reina allowed Eder Bonfim's header to squirm over the line and ensured the hosts claimed a point.

Nevertheless, the result was enough to take Liverpool into the next stage of the tournament with a game to spare as group winners.

Hodgson told his post-match press conference: "I am very happy. Happy most of all the team we had confidence in to take on this tough task of facing Steaua were able to produce the performance, and get the result we needed.

"We always knew it would be tough here. It was a last chance for Steaua to qualify, we knew they had big hopes and a lot of experienced players, but I think the players served the club well. We stuck at our task very well and had Joe Cole taken his chance in the first half maybe we'd have had it slightly easier.

"All credit to Steaua, they made us work very hard, but we are happy with the point and qualification."

He added: "I was concerned for them (the young players), I think I asked a lot of the team with so many players who haven't played for a long time - Joe Cole, Fabio Aurelio and Ryan Babel for example.

"Players like Danny Wilson, Dani Pacheco and Jonjo Shelvey, who have hardly played at all in the first team, asking them to come to Bucharest and get a result against a team of Steaua's quality is what I mean by being concerned.

"It was a big ask for those players to stand up to some of the pressure and deal with the quality football Steaua played, and I'm really delighted for them that they've come off the field with a good result and we now top the group whatever happens in the final game.

"It's a good achievement considering we have gone through this Europa League campaign giving many players a chance to play who don't normally play in the Premier League."

Having travelled to Bucharest minus the likes of Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher, Fernando Torres, Raul Meireles, Glen Johnson and Dirk Kuyt, Hodgson was left thrilled by the manner in which his young squad stood up to the test.

It's been a recurring theme throughout Liverpool's unbeaten Europa League quest so far this season - and Hodgson believes the run is serving to bolster the confidence of his young starlets.

He said: "It gives them confidence and I think we've seen the emergence of players like David Ngog and Martin Kelly (this season) and I think their emergence has come through these Europa League matches because they've been given a chance.

"Tonight I think you would have to add the name of Dani Pacheco. He hasn't had many chances but he certainly didn't let the team down at all, neither did Nathan Eccleston when he came on.

"In particular today I was delighted for Ryan Babel because he is a player who, again, has not had many opportunities to show what he can do. Tonight he took his opportunity with both hands and really did well upfront.

"It's good for me to know the work we're doing day in, day out on the training field is having some effect and the players are getting more and more comfortable with what we're trying to do, even those that maybe don't play every week."

Hodgson continued: "Danny Wilson has had one game in the first team, which was at left back. This is the first time he's had a chance to play at centre-back and it was a tough game to come into at centre-back, so I am delighted.

"It would have been nice to have won the game. Pepe is a bit down because he had an exceptionally good game in goal, but he's a bit disappointed he didn't keep a clean sheet.

"But as far as I'm concerned, I was most interested in the performance and if the players could stand up to the challenge. I think they did and it's going to be a pleasant ride home for us."

Steaua are now currently second in Group K and will go head-to-head with Napoli in the final group game in an attempt to secure qualification.

Hodgson admits he was impressed by the quality of the Romanian outfit, and backed them to join Liverpool in the last 32.

He said: "I think they played well tonight. They caused us a lot of problems, especially down the left wing.

"They were very good and got a lot of crosses into the penalty area, so we had to deal with a lot of dangerous situations but I am happy we dealt with them and come away with a good result.

"I still think Steaua have got every chance of qualifying from this group. They are in second place and if they can go to Napoli and get a draw, they will be qualifying with us - and they certainly deserve that."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/roy-s-steaua-verdict
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #540: Dec 02, 2010 09:39:15 pm
      Kids enough said give them a break ffs
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #541: Dec 02, 2010 09:43:22 pm
      Captain Pepe Reina's take on the game:

Mixed emotions for Pepe

Pepe Reina held his hands up and admitted his mistake for the Steaua Bucharest equaliser cost Liverpool a victory in Romania on Thursday night.

With the Reds leading courtesy of Milan Jovanovic, the home side equalised when Eder Bonfim's header somehow went through the Spaniard's hands and into the net.

However, Reina was pleased that a point ensured Liverpool have qualified for the next stage of the Europa League.

"We are happy to have qualified for the next stage of the Europa League but I am not happy with the goal I conceded," said Reina.

"At first I thought it was offside but it was my fault, my mistake and I should have saved it.

"There was a player who was distracting me in front of me but I should have reacted much better than I did and it was a mistake.

"They were a good team and they had the crowd behind them. They pushed us hard and we knew it was going to be tough but at the end of the day we are through."

Reina, who captained the side in the absence of Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher, was also quick to praise the performance of the youngsters like Danny Wilson and Martin Kelly who came into the back four.

"They did well and we must give them some credit," he added.

"We had a lot of players with not much experience but they showed great character and we defended really well."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/mixed-emotions-for-pepe?

Pleased to see both Hodgson and Pepe give the youngsters a well done for their efforts.
      Tombo
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 58 posts | -2 
      Reply #542: Dec 02, 2010 09:54:37 pm
      Has anyone else noticed that after roys half time team talks the team comes out and actually plays worse? I thought the half time talk was an opportunity to modify the game plan(assuming he had a plan in the first place)
          I hope roy gets left behind in Romania and tonights the last we see him.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #543: Dec 02, 2010 09:58:44 pm
      Aurelio, Kelly & Babel turned up, no-one else really. very, very boring game, apart from Jova's celebrationĀ¬
      Jova's celebration!I read it like he was saying he loves LFC and is NOT going anywhere.
      yoyo-yoyo
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 151 posts | -1 
      Reply #544: Dec 02, 2010 10:00:13 pm
      I predict a season of mediocrity with the odd reasonable performance.  The Manager will leave at the end of the season as will a few of our so called top stars.  Whoever is brought in will then start to rebuild/fashion a team to start and deliver the type of football LFC were renowned for.  This will not be a short process and will take a number of years before the club is again challeging consistently for honours.  Personally i do not think there is any quick fix to the situation the club are currently in.  Even massive investment as shown by Man City doesnt guarantee anything.  Dont know about others on here but i've been lucky enough to see Kenny playing in his prime when the club were practically invincible, the past two seasons have seen a horrible drop in standards and expectations.....  Unfortunately a few years in the football wilderness beckon.....
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #545: Dec 02, 2010 10:01:33 pm
      Joe Cole is not a winger.... Maxi is not a winger.... Kelly wasn't a right back (was a CB)..... but we expect them to do the job when they are selected.  I've played my whole life, including 4 years in college, and using the excuse that its not his favored position is f**king weak.  I would expect Torres to play well if he was stuck on the wing.  I would expect Gerrard to do a good job if he had to play left back.  I will concede that certain players have certain skill sets that allow them to be more effective in certain roles, but there is no reason why Dani shouldn't be able to do a job on the wing.  He is still young and there is time for him to learn how to play in this position, but tonight's display did not live up to all the hype that has surrounded him since his wonderful performances with Spain over the summer.
      With a great big sigh,I have to agree with yer mate.Top post.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #546: Dec 02, 2010 10:09:23 pm
      Glad to see Pepe defending the kids, maybe it will stifle the tripe spouted by the same old on here as they hold Pepe up as a beacon of hope.

Ffs just read some match threads slagging off from last season and it's the same old same old posters slagging our players off not supporting but hey they are not scouse so I excuse them.

But on page around 24 or so the Birmingham 1-1 game Lucas is sh*t etc etc Lucas Mascherano should never play together. Lucas the worse midfielder ever to play for the club hahahahahaha you lot should be ashamed of yourselves ( and you know who you are so I expect some ganging up trying to save face)

Just to sum up, we played away in Europe played kids and got a draw, now unless the game has changed since shanks and bob any away point is a good point in Europe so get a F***ing grip and start to support you so called F***ing team.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #547: Dec 02, 2010 10:15:20 pm
      Dire performance besides qualifying.  I cannot fathom why Roy gives so much kudos to opposition.  Are we ALWAYS the underdogs in his scheme of things?

I hate the way we sit back and invite inferior teams on to us, only then for Roy to big them up after the match.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #548: Dec 02, 2010 10:17:08 pm
      Missed the game, was going to come in here and ask how it was. But I think the thread title answers my question.

How did Dani and Danny do?
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #549: Dec 02, 2010 10:20:30 pm
      Cant wait til midnight so I can watch this on LFCtv :(
      WTF! You've had a lot of negative imput in this post match thread for someone who has'nt seen the game yet.BANDWAGON comes to mind.  :action-smiley-060:
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #550: Dec 02, 2010 10:20:45 pm
      Joe Cole is not a winger.... Maxi is not a winger.... Kelly wasn't a right back (was a CB)..... but we expect them to do the job when they are selected.  I've played my whole life, including 4 years in college, and using the excuse that its not his favored position is F***ing weak.  I would expect Torres to play well if he was stuck on the wing.  I would expect Gerrard to do a good job if he had to play left back.  I will concede that certain players have certain skill sets that allow them to be more effective in certain roles, but there is no reason why Dani shouldn't be able to do a job on the wing.  He is still young and there is time for him to learn how to play in this position, but tonight's display did not live up to all the hype that has surrounded him since his wonderful performances with Spain over the summer.

The whole "it's not his favoured position excuse" is almost as weak as the "but I've played football all my life, I know what I'm talking about mantra".  You can trust me on this because I've played football my whole life.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #551: Dec 02, 2010 10:26:38 pm
      Did I? Didnt think I did. Been reading the match thread for the whole game. I can only go by what I read. Will give a better opinion tonight, but most posters on here make informed posts everyday so I trust them not to be knee jerking in the match thread. What is this bandwagon I'm supposedly jumping on

Quick Reply