Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

FIFA Reputation In Tatters

Read 8566 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      FIFA Reputation In Tatters
      Dec 03, 2010 12:04:50 am
      After Wednesday's quite frankly bizarre announcements that Russia and Qatar will host the next two World Cups after Brazil how much do FIFA and it's horrendously elitist body have to answer for? How is it that fellow bid nations who had far superior reports be defeated so comprehensively? Why did these 22 voters vote the way they did? So much to answer for, so little we will get. Today's announcement, along with the revelations made in The Times and Panorama (and rightly so) has truly left FIFA's reputation in tatters. This organization is in need of a desperate overhaul starting with the removal of the Robert Mugabe of football, Sepp Blatter. For as long as it remains untouched the world's most popular sport will be run by a truly corrupt, sleazy organisation. A dark day for football around the world.
      « Last Edit: Dec 03, 2010 03:03:37 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: FIFA Reputation In Tatters?
      Reply #1: Dec 03, 2010 12:13:27 am
      Indeed, totally agree.

To be honest the last few years of stupidity by them, and Blatter himself, has left me with very little respect for them anyways. This just compounded that. Ludicrous decision, completely dumbfounded by it. Russia, not so much - they (despite whatever dark deals happened) still have some footballing pedigree. But what the F**k does Qatar have? Their football team is sh*t, there is no way their national team could ever make it to the World Cup on its own merits. They have gotten close a couple times, but they are just sh*t. They are worse now, ranked at 113th in the world as of right now i believe - i mean doesn't football mean anything now? At least nations like the US and Australia have proved of late we can make it to the world cup on our own, and make something of it.

Im still fuming. I can't believe a pissy little nation of 1.3m people, over half of them expats anyways, gets to host the holy grail of football. Frankly, it stains the reputation of the cup when they don't even have any pride in where its played.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Dec 03, 2010 12:17:07 am
      Blatter is a disgrace. Nothing would make them happier than to keep England and their teams marginalised. Res said earlier that Qatar will be taking their stadiums apart afterwards and giving the parts to third world countries? That is madness. No lasting infrastructure. Just an odd PR stunt for football after the world cup and no doubt a big pay off.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #3: Dec 03, 2010 12:25:30 am
      Quote from: Qatar WC Record
      Year      Result   Position   GP   W   D*   L   GS   GA   GP   W   D*   L   GS   GA
       1930 to 1974   Did not enter   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
       1978   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   4   1   0   3   3   9
       1982   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   4   2   0   2   5   3
       1986   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   4   2   0   2   6   3
       1990   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   11   4   6   1   12   8
       1994   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   8   5   1   2   22   8
       1998   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   11   6   1   4   21   10
       2002   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   14   7   4   3   24   13
       2006   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   6   3   0   3   16   8
       2010   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
       2022    HOST                     
      Total   -      -   -   -   -   -   -   78   36   16   26   125   82

Does that just look wrong to anyone else?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #4: Dec 03, 2010 12:43:02 am

So? Whats the big deal that qatar got it,if I was a spaniard I would be pissed at fifa overlooked the current world and european champions,but spain have taken it graciousley.

I remember the same old crap spouted in the media that south africa was not safe to travel during the world cup yet it was a success.

After the qatar wc I hope it either goes to china or austarlia,england have got a long wait to host the cup again.

We should be hosting the cup in 2018 which would have been the ideal after the olympics yet a nation that won it has a massive problem with racism and ethnic players playing for russian teams its going to be very intreasting to say the least.

Maybe fifa see russia as a project where it can help russia overcome racism in football at club level and if it means one less chant of racism then its been worth it.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #5: Dec 03, 2010 12:46:37 am
      I don't think a nation like Qatar deserves it. When Australia has put so much work into our football over the last decade, pushing for a couple World Cup berths and getting them, restructuring development, et etc. What the F**k has Qatar done? Nothing. They have done nothing to deserve the tournament. Nothing.

Oh, apart from having money.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #6: Dec 03, 2010 12:54:18 am
      I don't think a nation like Qatar deserves it. When Australia has put so much work into our football over the last decade, pushing for a couple World Cup berths and getting them, restructuring development, et etc. What the f**k has Qatar done? Nothing. They have done nothing to deserve the tournament. Nothing.

Oh, apart from having money.

I agree with you but do you not think a region that has so much negativity could do with something special as the WC?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,210 posts | 8569 
      Reply #7: Dec 03, 2010 12:58:57 am
      So? Whats the big deal that qatar got it,if I was a spaniard I would be pissed at fifa overlooked the current world and european champions,but spain have taken it graciousley.

I remember the same old crap spouted in the media that south africa was not safe to travel during the world cup yet it was a success.

After the qatar wc I hope it either goes to china or austarlia,england have got a long wait to host the cup again.

We should be hosting the cup in 2018 which would have been the ideal after the olympics yet a nation that won it has a massive problem with racism and ethnic players playing for russian teams its going to be very intreasting to say the least.

Maybe fifa see russia as a project where it can help russia overcome racism in football at club level and if it means one less chant of racism then its been worth it.

You might have a point about the racism claim, but it's not just Russia, it's quite a few Eastern European countries with the same problem, but money wins every time, something Abramovich has done in backing the Russian bid.

I imagine our Govt's stance on profits being taxed was another sticking point with Fifa, they have loads of money-making rules which the host have to guarantee.

As for Qatar, I'm sure a while ago some Qatari tried to challenge Blatter regarding his President of Fifa position. I bet this was also a deal done to sweeten the fella from challenging and keeping Blatter in his nice cosy role.

Honestly thought it would go to Qatar or Australia, so not surprised.

As for England not getting the world cup, again after all the relevations in our press I'm not surprised. Shock, horror!! It's not like our own FA have ever been involved in money-making deals, it's just the likes of Fifa are that much better at it!
      « Last Edit: Dec 03, 2010 01:04:25 am by HUYTON RED »
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #8: Dec 03, 2010 12:59:29 am
      Poland and Ukraine were forced to join their bids for the Euros, due to one country being "too small" for UEFA.

Why does Qatar, at 11,000km squared, get to host the World Cup?

Something IS going on here, make no bones about it.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #9: Dec 03, 2010 01:02:18 am
      I agree with you but do you not think a region that has so much negativity could do with something special as the WC?

Nope. The World Cup won't solve years and years of bloodshed, and nor should a region be given it simply in the hope of doing so. They have done nothing to deserve it. Nothing legal or ethical, anyways.

Poland and Ukraine were forced to join their bids for the Euros, due to one country being "too small" for UEFA.

THIS.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #10: Dec 03, 2010 01:03:24 am
      Maybe FIFA wanted to be able to rule both of them out for awhile Res
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,210 posts | 8569 
      Reply #11: Dec 03, 2010 01:06:23 am

By the way, did you get onto what Blatter said, when he was mentioning the different losing bids can always go for 2030, didn't Blatter mention England and Scotland or is my mind just playing tricks?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #12: Dec 03, 2010 01:42:21 am
      Indeed, totally agree.

To be honest the last few years of stupidity by them, and Blatter himself, has left me with very little respect for them anyways. This just compounded that. Ludicrous decision, completely dumbfounded by it. Russia, not so much - they (despite whatever dark deals happened) still have some footballing pedigree. But what the f**k does Qatar have? Their football team is sh*t, there is no way their national team could ever make it to the World Cup on its own merits. They have gotten close a couple times, but they are just sh*t. They are worse now, ranked at 113th in the world as of right now I believe - I mean doesn't football mean anything now? At least nations like the US and Australia have proved of late we can make it to the world cup on our own, and make something of it.

Im still fuming. I can't believe a pissy little nation of 1.3m people, over half of them expats anyways, gets to host the holy grail of football. Frankly, it stains the reputation of the cup when they don't even have any pride in where its played.

It's being totally honest when Iraq has more right to host the FIFA World Cup. This is a country that has absolutely NO footballing history and once the World Cup is over the stadiums that cost billions to build will be left as empty cauldrons. Disgusting. For me the reputation of the World Cup has been sliding rather rapidly over the past few world cups (barring France 98) and I think there is a real possibility that it just won't be taken that seriously anymore.

I feel sorry for England's bid team. They were magnificent but that doesn't compare with my sheer horror and disappointment at not seeing Australia given the World Cup in 2022. Like the above post this country have done brilliantly in their growth of football and have a truly beautiful setting, culture and stadia to go with it. But all that was rejected for the dirty, shallow oil money of Qatar and it's incredibly soulless grey, dull bid. And football was meant to be a passionate game?? F***ing disgraceful.
      « Last Edit: Dec 03, 2010 01:50:06 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #13: Dec 03, 2010 01:56:47 am
      It's being totally honest when Iraq has more right to host the FIFA World Cup. This is a country that has absolutely NO footballing history and once the World Cup is over the stadiums that cost billions to build will be left as empty cauldrons. Disgusting. For me the reputation of the World Cup has been sliding rather rapidly over the past few world cups (barring France 98) and I think there is a real possibility that it just won't be taken that seriously anymore.

I feel sorry for England's bid team. They were magnificent but that doesn't compare with my sheer horror and disappointment at not seeing Australia given the World Cup in 2022. Like the above post this country have done brilliantly in their growth of football and have a truly beautiful setting, culture and stadia to go with it. But all that was rejected for the dirty, shallow oil money of Qatar and it's incredibly soulless grey, dull bid. And football was meant to be a passionate game?? F***ing disgraceful.

Looks like you will be watching it on the telly then in 2022.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #14: Dec 03, 2010 01:56:57 am
      Can understand that people here are dissapointed that England and Australia didn't get it, but I'm still a bit surprised about all the negativity on here. I didn't expect any other outcome than this one to be honest. I'm actually quite happy with the outcome, and all dutch people I've spoken to seem to agree.

Only because Poland and Ukraine aren't capable of meeting all the infrastructure, accomodation and stadium requirements on their own, same reason why my country(Holland) always joins forces with Belgium. Qatar however is capable of doing so, can't deny that.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #15: Dec 03, 2010 02:05:54 am
      Why so happy if i can ask Dexter? Honestly feel its disgraceful myself that a nation with no pedigree like Qatar gets this. They are the most undeserved of all IMO.

Australia has put an absolute shitload of money and work into football over the last decade, and turning around the notion that this sport isn't worth it was a big task. You have to understand, 20 years ago this sport was still looked down upon greatly, no one gave a sh*t. Now, we have turned it around a lot. We have a league that is small, but its working. Robbie Fowlers playing there, sure he probably could have played in Qatar for more money.. but he didn't.

What are they gonna do with all the stadiums they have to build? They'll have no use for them. Australia already has most of them, or just needs upgrades on some. The USA already has all 18 stadiums they included on their bid up and in use.

This is an absolute waste of money, IMO.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,210 posts | 8569 
      Reply #16: Dec 03, 2010 02:09:25 am
      The big problem is that FIFA is based in Zurich and corruption isn't a criminal offence in Switzerland. The executive committee are a gang of relics and don't want to reform because they're profiting at the ballot box. Its a nice little earner for them which only comes round once every eight years and they have all the time in the world between World Cups to collude.

It's shocking how 22 individuals can hold such immense power and have such arrogance and lack of integrity. If they claim to represent the football family worldwide, why doesen't the 208 countries get a vote, and make it transparent so that bidders can't schmooze with world leaders and royalty, like the IOC have done.

It will only change once FIFA accepts that its wrong and unfortunately that won't happen while gifts are being bestowed at the feet of the committee members.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #17: Dec 03, 2010 02:30:31 am
      Why so happy if i can ask Dexter? Honestly feel its disgraceful myself that a nation with no pedigree like Qatar gets this. They are the most undeserved of all IMO.

Australia has put an absolute shitload of money and work into football over the last decade, and turning around the notion that this sport isn't worth it was a big task. You have to understand, 20 years ago this sport was still looked down upon greatly, no one gave a sh*t. Now, we have turned it around a lot. We have a league that is small, but its working. Robbie Fowlers playing there, sure he probably could have played in Qatar for more money.. but he didn't.

What are they gonna do with all the stadiums they have to build? They'll have no use for them. Australia already has most of them, or just needs upgrades on some. The USA already has all 18 stadiums they included on their bid up and in use.

This is an absolute waste of money, IMO.
      I don't think it's just about Qatar, it's more about having it in the Middle East, and Qatar is probably just the only or one of the few stable countries that is capable of hosting it in that region. I'm happy because Russia and Qatar both make an interesting and different setting for the tournaments. Western Europe gets a bit boring and predictable for me. :P I'm sure the stadiums will be amazing as well. And let's be honest, compared to South Africa Russia and Qatar are much better places to host an event like this. Ofcourse I'm not planning to go to any of these games, I wouldn't have in England either really, so there's really no loss for me there. No better country to watch Holland's games than my own. ;D To be fair though, Australia would've been cool too, and I doubt it'll be long before it's kept there.

From what I understand all the stadiums can be pulled apart and will be donated to Africa.
      Waste of money, sure. But it'll be wasted there either way, just on something else. :P
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #18: Dec 03, 2010 02:33:36 am
      Good post dexter and in agreement with regarding russia and qatar.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #19: Dec 03, 2010 02:57:04 am
      FIFA=Bollocks!
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #20: Dec 03, 2010 03:10:25 am
      I think it's time football expanded its horizons and the game grew. It's now going to be hosted at different settings not seen before. South Africa was a success, so why not Russia and Qatar? Whatever it is, I see no reason why the World Cup can't make its move around the globe. After all, it's a global game and only football can be the winner.

I think its the diversity in the world that we will also learn to appreciate, especially through football.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Re: FIFA Reputation In Tatters
      Reply #21: Dec 03, 2010 03:26:44 am
      After initial disappointment, i've come around to being excited about the Qatar World Cup. As Dexter stated, it's not just for Qatar, but will greatly benefit the whole Middle East, much like what the South African World Cup did.

Qatar's pitch was far better than Australia's, and the dismantling of the stadia and helping developing nations is a very good thing, but some of you here seem to make it seem criminal.

Qatar, for a country of less than 2 million people, are not actually that bad a football team. They came close to qualifying for the South African World Cup.

If all goes well, I may organise a trip to the 2022 World Cup.

What I'm pissed about is that the Australian Government might not fund bids for the 2026 and 2030 bids, and the biggest sporting spectacle would have done a world of good Downunder.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Re: FIFA Reputation In Tatters
      Reply #22: Dec 03, 2010 03:41:17 am

This morning it read like this:

Year      Result   Position   GP   W   D*   L   GS   GA   GP   W   D*   L   GS   GA
       1930 to 1974   Did not enter   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
       1978   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   4   1   0   3   3   9
       1982   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   4   2   0   2   5   3
       1986   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   4   2   0   2   6   3
       1990   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   11   4   6   1   12   8
       1994   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   8   5   1   2   22   8
       1998   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   11   6   1   4   21   10
       2002   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   14   7   4   3   24   13
       2006   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   6   3   0   3   16   8
       2010   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
       2014   Will not qualify                     
       2018   Will not qualify                   
       2022    HOST                     
      Total   -      -   -   -   -   -   -   78   36   16   26   125   82

Not going to lie, I thought it was funny.

Quick Reply