Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

FIFA Reputation In Tatters

Read 8569 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: FIFA Reputation In Tatters
      Reply #92: Jan 09, 2011 04:51:51 pm
      David Cameron attacks 'murky' football governance

David Cameron has attacked the way world football is governed, describing it as "murky," following England's failed bid to host the 2018 World Cup.

The prime minister claimed he was personally misled by a number of FIFA executives over the bid.

He accused some of them of reneging on assurances that they would vote for England's bid, which only received two of the 22 votes available.

Russia won the vote, while Qatar was chosen to host the 2022 World Cup.

"We had a great bid - technically I think by far the best bid and I think the presentation we made was compelling," he told BBC Radio 5 live.

"I definitely had a number of those FIFA executives who looked me in the eye and shook my hand and said 'don't worry, we're with you'.

"I'm afraid that the world of football governance is rather murky in that way."

Mr Cameron travelled twice to Zurich to help front the bid and was joined by Prince William and David Beckham in the days before the vote.

He added: "It was sad to lose and yes, some people definitely were not straight with us."

Asked about Fifa chief executive Sepp Blatter's assurances that he would set up an anti-corruption unit, he said: "I think we will have to judge that by the results."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12146131

Quick Reply